What is the future for motorhomes

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Sue, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Sue

Sue Funster

Ratings:
    +1,542
    sales of diesel cars down, diesel prices being pushed up, diesel owners told we are the spawn of the devil....and

The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders report that, sales of diesel engine cars falling off dramatically — 30 per cent down from a year ago

So will we all be left with vehicles we can't afford to run and that we can't sell?

2. Larby

Larby Funster

Ratings:
    +7,725
    They will be cheaper to buy and being a MH fuel costs for many will be only be minimally more?

3. Duck Truck

Duck Truck Funster

Ratings:
    +1,475
    When they are all self driving we can go in the back and sit and have a coffee (or whatever else you fancy) whilst it takes us to our destination:D

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like it Like it x 3
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 2
  4. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +36,235
    A very long way to go before larger diesel vehicles disappear

• Like it Like it x 7
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. chesterfield hooligan

chesterfield hooligan Funster

Ratings:
    +1,259
    They will be a significantly smaller pultravelinghorse maybe two, then life will be a lot better pace with no worries about where's the nearest filling station for fuel or lpg. The roof made of one solar pannel.

:party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2:

l for one would have one like a shot travelling down the M1 with all the quiet electric cars and trucks.

6. Blue Knight

Blue Knight Funster

Ratings:
    +2,114
    Yep, I totally agree with you but there's no doubt IMO that the older diesel engines will soon come under a whole load of criticism from anyone and everyone.

Also, I don't think it will be that long before owning an old diesel vehicle means that you can only retain ownership as long as it just sits on your drive and doesn't move - and that won't be good for older motorhomes for sure.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. robnchris

robnchris Funster

Ratings:
    +2,913

I don`t agree with this at all, just look to the massive following of vintage cars, motorbikes and let`s not forget Steam... plenty of Steam trains still being used.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  8. SuperMike

SuperMike Funster

Ratings:
    +4,863
    No worries, our 8.1L big block Vortec runs on petrol. :)

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. Sue

Sue Funster

Ratings:
    +1,542
    Cheaper to buy? So we can expect to get significantly less on the re sale of our current vehicles?

10. Hettie's Crew

Hettie's Crew Funster

Ratings:
    +772
    I think in the near future there will be increased tax for diesels on a scale depending on what Euro class it is. Euro 6 being the cheapest or no change, increasing through 5, 4, 3 etc. The oldest having such high tax that they are seen as uneconomical to keep.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Ratings:
    +14,761
    If it was all about economy we wouldn't buy them in the first place would we? A small car and a tent would be far cheaper.

We had our last MH for 11 years from new. If the current one (and we) last that long it'll see us to 70, so I'm not going to fret too much about resale value. They've always been a long term investment for us, with the reward being the benefits of using it. I suppose it might be different if you swap MH every 2-3 years.

To my mind, the immediate issue will be the spread of low emission zones and what sort of Euro engine standard you have. Older engines are more likely to be penalised, as the Crit'Air and Umwelt systems are already showing us. Likewise if the London LEZ and Congestion Charge systems spread to other major cities in the UK it could get more costly to move through them, if you need to.

Until all the heavy trucks and medium sized vans are replaced with electric alternatives there's going to have to be a steady supply of diesel fuel, and that's nowhere close yet. If I'd had the choice of a petrol MH as opposed to a diesel I'd have gone for it, but the option wasn't there. Maybe manufacturers will switch to petrol base vehicles in the near future?

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  12. timetochill

timetochill Funster

Ratings:
    +162
    Maybe affect the grandkids but tooooooo far away in the future for me to worry about ( like the idea of a coffee whilst auto pilot drives)

• Like it Like it x 1
  13. Blue Knight

Blue Knight Funster

Ratings:
    +2,114
    I don't think for one second that a few vintage vehicles will hold back the current momentum for change.

14. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Ratings:
    +14,761
    ...and the old cruise control urban legend will finally come true.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Ratings:
    +5,528
    I personally think, that Sense will prevail, And whilst Diesels will be, along with Petrol, "phased out" at the top end. The existing ones will be with us for a long while yet, The economics, as well as the political pressure will not be appreciated by Politicians, should they start making too many waves. If you are (say) a Transport Operator, the cost of converting a fleet would be crippling for starters, and the Gov`t would be unlikely to want to put public money into such a contentious Idea!.

There is already a bit of a backlash from manufacturers over the RATE of change wanted by the "green" pressure groups, who, lets face it would have us all back in Mud hut`s, coping with 3rd world diseases we eliminated years ago, and walking everywhere. THEY, have no idea just how much disabled people rely on individual motive transport. Try getting to a Hospital appointment from some of the villages, without using a car!. PUBLIC transport is non existent outside of Urban Area`s. "Subsidising" Taxi`s? Come on get real!.

• Like it Like it x 6
  16. robnchris

robnchris Funster

Ratings:
    +2,913
    The diesel car is just an easy target for all the clean air brigade to jump on, just like the open fire and log burner.
    Now then what are they going to do about the 10 litre plus diesel engine`s that are currently running up and down the country delivering all our produce, what about all the diesel generators.
    These all use engines far bigger than a motorcar, yet we never hear Mr or Mrs clean air society explaning how they are going to be replaced.

• Like it Like it x 5
  17. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +8,920
    I think motorhomes will be strapped to the next generation Falcon Heavy and sent on a road trip to outer space......Rocket fuel replacing diesel. Obvious innit?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
  18. tacr2man

tacr2man Funster

Ratings:
    +4,602
    Generally speaking legislation cannot be retro active , so it will probably be higher road tax, due to transport of goods reliance on diesel for a good few years yet , they cant raise fuel tax much .
    LEZ will certainly increase in BUA , but congestion makes bi pass pretty universal even now . In Europe , mainly Germany this is a current factor already , so due to restrictions I just park up on the outside of the relevant Zone , use a scooter to go in and look round , which is easier than even taking a car in , some times public transport is just as convenient . I see road pricing (tolls) as a bigger threat to traveling costs , eg Germany will be looking to implement down to private car level for "auslander"

• Like it Like it x 1
  19. Wissel

Wissel Funster

Ratings:
    +1,713
    Doubt there will be much change in the foreseeable future.

Even when there is a a viable alternative for freight/vans/motorhomes I can't see regulations coming in that affect existing vehicles massively. It would either cripple our delivery network or cost government a mint.

More likely that when there is an alternative to diesel it's initially incentivised. Besides, the same Green pressure groups won't want millions of vehicles scrapped.

• Like it Like it x 3
  20. Blue Knight

Blue Knight Funster

Ratings:
    +2,114
    If we were chatting 10-years ago (or even 5), then I would have agreed with you but, not now.

The whole pollution issue has become a global political pawn and now manufacturers and political parties alike are pushing forward hard to ensure they are the ones that make the biggest and most radicle changes first.

We've had the '2040' timeline given recently but I don't even think that 2040 will survive contact with the current changes that seem to be coming about.

It won't be long until we're popping up to Space for a cuppa before returning to Earth for dinner and a snuggle with the missus; things are changing fast.

The diesel-thing will no doubt drag on for a while and then suddenly, out of the blue, there will be a total change because some manufacturer has found the solution to all of our fuel and pollution problems - I can see it now.

My plan is to use my MoHo for a few more years, endure the tax hikes and the emission zone restrictions and then convert my van into a storage facility for my vintage motorbikes.