What is the future for motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
I will convert mine to a museum and charge all the youngsters to come and see what life was like before the PC dictators took charge and ruined everyone,s lifestyle. :madder:

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I have no idea in percentage terms what the Fuel Duty being imposed on every gallon of Petrol is in the states, but it does make me wonder why there is so much of a difference in price between the states and The EU. Even when we had our own source of fuel from the north sea, it was never as cheap as it was in the states.
It sounds almost unbelievable now, but we were all told on the discovery of oil in the north sea, that natural gas was a residue of producing oil, and that it was going to be pumped to our houses for next to nothing, I was too young to take it seriously, but why was that one swept under the carpet at the time ?
You see another political con I guess.
Well tarc2man, enjoy your RV, enjoy your travels, I am very envious of those that travelled through Europe in the 60/70,s it must have so much more exciting, with not as many campers or vehicles on the road...nice one!
Les

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
We need a practical infrastructure for 're-filling' electric vehicles before they can be used for anything other than a local commute.
Yes ..and ...how is electricity generated? , the power source behind its production can be equally as polluting....coal fired stations( a lot less now It's true) nuclear power ( opinions vary on the safety ) wood...and wood chips which must be produced and then transported, and often is transported very long distances ...in ships....fuelled by??

I don't know, nor can I imagine what the answer is , but targeting current vehicles is an easy political point scoring excercise, at the expense of the masses who are driven in whatever direction is of use to the politicians.
Caring for the environment is important..but we were told we were doing that when we bought our diesel cars and vans!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Yes ..and ...how is electricity generated? , the power source behind its production can be equally as polluting....coal fired stations( a lot less now It's true) nuclear power ( opinions vary on the safety ) wood...and wood chips which must be produced and then transported, and often is transported very long distances ...in ships....fuelled by??

I don't know, nor can I imagine what the answer is , but targeting current vehicles is an easy political point scoring excercises, at the expense of the masses who are driven in whatever direction is of use to the politicians.
Caring for the environment is important..but we were told we were doing that when we bought our diesel cars and vans!
Good point Sue, but as we also now know, we cant even afford to build our own new power stations unless we sub out the build/ownership to foreign countries, like France and China. Then offer them a sweetener in the deal by agreeing that WE will be prepared to pay them 2.5 times the kWH rate that we are paying today!! Even more fuel poverty for all of us, and apart from a cross on a ballot paper WE have no say in it!!

Reactions: Sue

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
once out of the eu and tight travel limits having a m,home might not be so useful. think there will be lots being put up for sale . prices will drop and sales will fall.
if lots stop going abroad then every where in uk could be packed out with m,homes . campsite prices will increase etc . not a good future i,m sure .

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
At least Elon Musk has the future in mind since the car currently on its way to Mars isn't a diesel.
Never mind the pollution from many hundreds of tons of rocket fuel burned to launch it, and the David Bowie CD playing in the car.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I will convert mine to a museum and charge all the youngsters to come and see what life was like before the PC dictators took charge and ruined everyone,s lifestyle. :madder:

Nah, fill it with chickens, then you can drive it anywhere with th'engine running on methane generated by all the chicken poo (and the hard boiled eggs :eek:).

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Get your nasty diesels off the road, LPG is the way to go.:D

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Not in my lifetime so I'm all right Jack.:cheers:
It will be a good while before they can remove all the HGV's - and all the white van / Amazon delivery vehicles are banned.
The incredibly small percentage we add to the pollution problem is almost insignificant, although we are an easy target, so expect road fund licenses to increase.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
If we all get electric and charge up at night the lights will all go out!!!!!!!!
Sounds good idea but not in practice.
New diesels are LESS polluting on long runs than petrol. There is a lot of smoke and mirrors on this subject

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
They have, It`s called Hydrogen, The problem is everyone has seen the "Hindenburg". The next thing is a viable Hydrogen generator on the vehicle, reducing the tankage to the bare minimum, just water. That is IMV where the Research money should be spent.
There's still no point in prolonging the life of the inefficient ICE. Stored electricity is still the best option (maybe a hydrogen fuel cell to look after the batteries).

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Its not just the electricity production , but the storage medium itself
is a finite resource (lithium) .
Rather than worrying about a lack of lithium, there could be shortages of rare earth materials, should the EV replace the conventional car. One such material is the permanent magnet for the electric motors. Permanent magnets make one of the most energy-efficient motors. China controls about 95 percent of the global market for rare earth metals and expects to use most of these resources for its own production. Export of rare earth materials is tightly controlled. The Chinese might become the new "Arabs"

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Its not just the electricity production , but the storage medium itself
is a finite resource (lithium) .
Rather than worrying about a lack of lithium, there could be shortages of rare earth materials, should the EV replace the conventional car. One such material is the permanent magnet for the electric motors. Permanent magnets make one of the most energy-efficient motors. China controls about 95 percent of the global market for rare earth metals and expects to use most of these resources for its own production. Export of rare earth materials is tightly controlled. The Chinese might become the new "Arabs"
Or we might just have to look harder. Lithium in Cornwall?

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
New diesels are LESS polluting on long runs than petrol. There is a lot of smoke and mirrors on this subject

Mostly from diesels................:ROFLMAO:

bug.gif

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Just a reminder to those quoting US fuel prices that those are for a US Gallon i.e. 8pint X 16 fluid ounces as opposed to an Imperial Gallon i.e. 8 pints X 20 fluid ounces. So to get an equivalent price per Imp. Gal. one has to multiply the US price by 1.25.

On the general subject of the life of our existing MHs, it has not been mentioned that lifetime of a MH is much longer than that of most vans/trucks on a similar base vehicle, which are often replaced after 3-4 years. Thus governments could target vehicles with a lead time of say 5 years, without impacting the van/truck market significantly but having a disproportionate effect on MH owners of 15-20 year-old vehicles.

Geoff

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Frankly I am too selfish to care.

I don't care about the resale value of my motorhome because I will never sell it.

I don't care about how crowded campsites are because I so rarely use them. Anyway, I have my own piece of sunny Paradise to park on.

I draw (most of) my own water.

I make (and have done for years) my own electricity.

I don't use much diesel these days because I have become too boring and don't go very far.

I'm alright Jack... sod the politicians and all who vote for them.

Let the revolution begin.

JJ :cool:

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We should all band together and force the Government to recognise MHers as a separate race who have a nomadic heritage and lifestyle. :whistle:

This seems to be a tried and tested way to get special treatment by the Government, and encourages guardians of law and order to look the other way. :cool:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I think in the near future there will be increased tax for diesels on a scale depending on what Euro class it is. Euro 6 being the cheapest or no change, increasing through 5, 4, 3 etc. The oldest having such high tax that they are seen as uneconomical to keep.
Once 40 years old in the Uk then it is exempt .if they'd stuck to the original plan it would beat 25 years, like most countries. I don't pay road tax here, nor does anyone who applies at 25 years .
Historic is also exempt in many emission zones &, even being foreign registered, I am registered as exempt in the Lez . Probably others as well but as I'm unlikely to want to use them then I haven't bothered.

Might be ott in the UK but 83% of all sales here are diesel & always have been. Petrol was always seen as the province of the extremely wealthy & those with an alternative coloured income :)
There’s always red or heating oil.

I believe certain parts of a certain community are familiar with the practice of using the above means for propolstion of diesel vehicles

I know a chap here who bought a new merc in 1997. It has never been in a fuel station:)

In Aldi's a couple of days back & I noticed that I can now buy sunflower oil cheaper than road diesel here. (y) Never used to be the case & as mine will run on it ..........:D2

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Yep, I totally agree with you but there's no doubt IMO that the older diesel engines will soon come under a whole load of criticism from anyone and everyone.

Also, I don't think it will be that long before owning an old diesel vehicle means that you can only retain ownership as long as it just sits on your drive and doesn't move - and that won't be good for older motorhomes for sure.

I'm betting they will suddenly say made a mistake and reverse everything, again!!!

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We should all band together and force the Government to recognise MHers as a separate race

Crickey, if someone from the Govt were to read this Fun Forum then we would all be sectioned under the mental health act.

Furthermore, all Funsters would be banned from talking to normal folk and we'd all be shipped off to an Island to live a life of solitary confinement with only our camping chairs in hand to remind us of the good old days.

:rolleyes:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Metallic hydrogen that's the future.:cool:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
There's still no point in prolonging the life of the inefficient ICE. Stored electricity is still the best option (maybe a hydrogen fuel cell to look after the batteries).

I disagree, The issue is fuel, not efficiency. But if you wish to argue, then remember that the cost of the Electricity to supply the "efficient" electric cars is produced by some of the most inefficient processes on the planet. With cumulative "losses throughout. Power generation is one of the most inefficient methods in terms taking the "Heat"/ "energy" potential of the fuel and transforming it to the energy at the vehicle wheel. So Called "Free" energy sources have their own issues, Wind and Solar are not that efficient. Potentially the only one with any consistent chance of producing power may be Wave energy. albeit at a vast cost.

Reactions: Sue
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I disagree, The issue is fuel, not efficiency. But if you wish to argue, then remember that the cost of the Electricity to supply the "efficient" electric cars is produced by some of the most inefficient processes on the planet. With cumulative "losses throughout. Power generation is one of the most inefficient methods in terms taking the "Heat"/ "energy" potential of the fuel and transforming it to the energy at the vehicle wheel. So Called "Free" energy sources have their own issues, Wind and Solar are not that efficient. Potentially the only one with any consistent chance of producing power may be Wave energy. albeit at a vast cost.
Figures available for power station efficiency (excluding renewables) ranges between 32% to 45% compared to 20% petrol and 25% Diesel (complete automotive drivetrain). Central production of power means technologies such as carbon capture can be employed. Wind and solar aren't efficient but are non-polluting. The biggest problem faced by power companies is uneven demand: massive peaks for short periods and long periods of reduced demand. If we could store and manage energy production we have more than enough generating capacity. Storage means batteries that could be used to manage peaks at individual dwelling level and/or at regional level. Electric vehicles can be a part of that. More even demand means better use can be made of renewables.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Figures available for power station efficiency (excluding renewables) ranges between 32% to 45%

That is before you transmit it to the charging unit (losses) and on to the vehicle and the add the loses on that. The IC engine is Fuel (energy) in Power (energy) out. I agree not that efficient. BUT more than an electric power train, and more flexible. "Storage" is extremely inefficient despite the fact is has convenience. Utilising the existing technology (IC engines) and consuming Hydrogen would be overall a more efficient way of moving forward in the interim, as opposed to blanket phasing out of a proven technology.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I don't think for one second that a few vintage vehicles will hold back the current momentum for change.
We are doomed Mr Mannering,,doomed,,,BUSBY.
once out of the eu and tight travel limits having a m,home might not be so useful. think there will be lots being put up for sale . prices will drop and sales will fall.
if lots stop going abroad then every where in uk could be packed out with m,homes . campsite prices will increase etc . not a good future i,m sure .

Why will coming out of EU restrict travel in Europe? BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back