Violation Notice - Speeding (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The one we had on our Ford based Chausson used engine braking to keep your speed to the cruise limit set when going down hill.
Unless there's a free-wheel engine braking is used whenever the throttle is shut. It just isn't effective if the hill is too steep.

Sep 13, 2018
Ludlow, UK
Funster No
MH
elddis 105 2015
Exp
before this it was in the 90 s
Sorry 'lillie'
It is incorrect to say that it is not necessary to inform your Insurance Company if you attend a Speed Awareness Course

Check it out or if you do attend a course and do not tell them, then have an accident, your Insurance is void

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
Sorry 'lillie'
It is incorrect to say that it is not necessary to inform your Insurance Company if you attend a Speed Awareness Course

Check it out or if you do attend a course and do not tell them, then have an accident, your Insurance is void

The above does not appear to be correct, or is not the case for all insurers.

Earlier in the thread I posted about whether one should report the French speeding fines when renewing UK insurance. I happened to be talking to Comfort today about a green card, so I asked about the French speeding situation. I was told that one only needs to report to the insurer something that results in an endorsement on the licence. French fines, with no points, do not count and it was specifically mentioned that also UK speeding awareness courses are not counted either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
Sorry 'lillie'

that is contrary to what the course leader told us all, sorry but I will take his word over yours every time, his job is at stake after all.

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
still sooner believe him than you, as he spoke from a position of authority, unlike you

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
that is contrary to what the course leader told us all, sorry but I will take his word over yours every time, his job is at stake after all.

On the course I attended it was stated that it's unnecessary to inform your insurance company of the offence. I agree with John. :)

Mick

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Differing insurers have differing rules, some don't worry, some just note and some penalise. Best policy tell them.

Sep 26, 2018
Uk Suffolk, Spain Terrazas de la Torre.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick xl
Exp
I’m a newbi
still sooner believe him than you, as he spoke from a position of authority, unlike you
Now how do you know what my position of authority might be, I doubt your learned friend from the driving awareness course has any idea of what the insurance companies do or do not require regarding speeding fines collected abroad.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Presumably one has to report these French etc speeding fines to the insurance company on renewal? Has anybody done that yet and can tell us the reaction of the insurance company eg premium increased/just made a note/was not interested?

I have been flashed a few times, but no ticket yet, the flashes were on the autoroute where the cameras seem to think I am an HGV but presumably the system later identifies me as a motorhome.

Why on earth would you tell them! Just to make a rod for your own back.

Sep 13, 2018
Ludlow, UK
Funster No
MH
elddis 105 2015
Exp
before this it was in the 90 s
I've spent the last half hour checking up on the situation regarding whether it is necessary to inform your insurance Company of you attending a Speed Awareness Course

Whilst it is true not all Insurance Companies insist that they are told there are many which do

To the people who are Insured with the latter Companies I maintain that they could have their Insurance made void

To the others I apologise

Richard

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
This is a very interesting question; most proposal forms contain questions on the general lines of; “have you been fined or convicted of a motoring offence in the last 5 years.

As t insurance the insurance contract is based on uberrimae fide (utmost good faith) I suppose that it could be argued that a speeding fine in another country should be declared and the failure to do so could affect the validity of the policy.

However, I could only see this being upheld if numerous fines had been levied and the non-disclosure of these events did not allow the Underwriter properly to assess the risk.

I must admit that if I received a fine from France/Spain I wouldn’t declare it and in the extremely unlikely event of the insurer finding out it would be a case of “sorry, pardon didn’t realise I had to declare offences committed abroad

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Coming back up through France last week and kept an eye on the cameras- although quite a few are either bagged up or painted over - I got flashed at least 6 times, each time I was travelling at about 100km/h in a 110km/h ( for us) limit.

They were all on downhill stretches of Motorway so must be setup to catch lorries. These were all in locations where its highly unlikely to get pedestrians and with separated carriageways Even the least cynical must thinks its revenue raising.

Edit to say, just hoping I havent got clobbered by a sneaky one in a village somewhere?

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Add me to the list we got a ticket for the 5th of May last year 48 Euro fine

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I've spent the last half hour checking up on the situation regarding whether it is necessary to inform your insurance Company of you attending a Speed Awareness Course

Whilst it is true not all Insurance Companies insist that they are told there are many which do

To the people who are Insured with the latter Companies I maintain that they could have their Insurance made void

To the others I apologise

Richard

Just reinsured my car with the same company. New question from them was specific,
Have you been penalised for speeding or attend a speed awareness course?

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Add me to the list we got a ticket for the 5th of May last year 48 Euro fine

Crumbs, so my July trip is still uncertain if I 'got away' with spending every yard in France trying to stay within the speed limits.

Never known such a hostile, expensive France as today, and there's Macron authorising live fire on the peaceful yellow vest protesters and closing off the Champs Elysees (while critizing our government for not respecting democracy LOL).

Last time I went during the fuel protests the hotel manager told me that France 'was in a very strange place' - he was quite concerned with how the country had changed.

I can feel a future Europe trip coming that will visit Belgium or Holland into Germany and Switzerland - completely avoiding France.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Crumbs, so my July trip is still uncertain if I 'got away' with spending every yard in France trying to stay within the speed limits.

Never known such a hostile, expensive France as today, and there's Macron authorising live fire on the peaceful yellow vest protesters and closing off the Champs Elysees (while critizing our government for not respecting democracy LOL).

Last time I went during the fuel protests the hotel manager told me that France 'was in a very strange place' - he was quite concerned with how the country had changed.

I can feel a future Europe trip coming that will visit Belgium or Holland into Germany and Switzerland - completely avoiding France.
I have done another 3 journeys through France I’m hoping I don’t get anymore.

Im just wonder is it because i registered for the crit air I’m easy to trace ?

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
I don't see the crit-air makes any difference, the French police merely ask the DVLA for all of our details and they send the invoice for payment, apparently without proof, and demand more money than the 'fine' (speculative, court and evidence free invoice) if you want any.

It's clearly not justice and wide open to number plate cloning too. The market is adapting as it always does with less enthusiasm to go there again.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
In a momentary lapse of concentration earlier today on the D1001/D907, Abbeville to Boulogne, I was flashed by a facing camera on a sweeping right hand bend. My speedo read 85Kph in an 80Kph zone.
The strange thing is, that the flash was green due to someone completely covering the flash light and camera lens with green plastic. That's the only misdemeanor I believe, on our return trip to Spain and back, though I think I may have got away with that one. ;)

What I have found is that I am constantly watching my speedo, and struggling to maintain a crusing speed of 80Kph in 5th gear. The vehicles under 3.5t which normally drove at speeds just under 90Kph, are now driving at speeds under 80Kph, which means we spend a lot of our time in 4th gear, wasting fuel due to higher revs. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
What I have found is that I am constantly watching my speedo, and struggling to maintain a crusing speed of 80Kph in 5th gear. The vehicles under 3.5t which normally drove at speeds just under 90Kph, are now driving at speeds under 80Kph, which means we spend a lot of our time in 4th gear, wasting fuel due to higher revs.

This is exactly what I found, it seems most vehicles have been designed and evolved to cruise happily within the speed limit (60 mph) and are not very comfortable at the new lower one.

I used to drift along at 80-85kmh so i always had a margin before 90kmh for downhill sections, distractions, time to look where I was going at the street signs etc. which really wasn't a problem with the 90kmh limit.

This time with a new, zealously enforced 80kmh I found myself at 70kmh - just over 40mph, which is simply too slow for many of the roads, so then I'd speed up to 79kmh for a bit and notice I was a bit too close so I'd back off down to 40mph again, this constant speed up, slow-down, speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down to stay withink 80kmh I found quite dangerous and frustrating, so I switched to the Peage :(.

They were fine, I could roll along at 80-85kmh no problem, whizzing even to over 90kmh in the valleys without having to worry (as the limit was 130!). But that way you miss a lot of France and it's expensive if you use them too much.

The new 80kmh 'rigidly enforced mustn't stray for a second' limit really kills it for me. Why would anyone spend their holiday being tortured by the french??

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Are these 'fines' actually fines or 'invoices'? Surely if they claim you have done it they have to prove evidence of it, eg photo? Otherwise anyone could use your number place on their vehicle and you'd get lumbered with the fines ... if it someone who doesn't give a toss and speeds through loads of cameras you could be bankrupt!

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Uberrimae fidei is the ultimate get out clause for an insurer, it decides what is material.

Fail to declare your vote indiscretions at your peril, whether at home or away.

BTW Minxy Girl, in my limited experience in France the rule is guilty even if proof of innocence is provided.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Uberrimae fidei is the ultimate get out clause for an insurer, it decides what is material.

Fail to declare your vote indiscretions at your peril, whether at home or away.

BTW Minxy Girl, in my limited experience in France the rule is guilty even if proof of innocence is provided.

But the notice is being served in English Jurisdiction where English Law applies.

Geoff

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I haven't found any problems at 4500kg hasn't changed for me. Sounds like all those under 3500kg are just moaning minies.
I don't have any problem keeping to 80 the van sales along in 6th gear, just have to watch it on long downhills.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I haven't found any problems at 4500kg hasn't changed for me. Sounds like all those under 3500kg are just moaning minies.
I don't have any problem keeping to 80 the van sales along in 6th gear, just have to watch it on long downhills.

Sometimes I need to do a lot more than 80 downhill to get up the other side....

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Uberrimae fidei
But is an evidence free french technical 'relevant'?
If not it doesn't apply.

It looks like another grey area, the beauty of living in a police state is that we're always guilty of something, that's the entire point of them ;)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Got one today....

I know exactly where it was on the 1/10/18 and was 5km over 50km limit ... €90... I did the crime so I’ve paid the fine..:doh:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Sometimes I need to do a lot more than 80 downhill to get up the other side....
You and me both. ;)

@Lenny HB. I've already had to replace my 5th gear and synchro set Lenny, at considerable cost. I really don't fancy having to do it again. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back