Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Violation for doing 88 in an 80 zone. In August last year!

Paying appears to be the least onerous route as it is only 45€ unless anyone knows better.

Vehicle checked at 88k/ph
Authorized speed limit 80k/ph
The speed us is 83k/ph

Stick to the motorway is the lesson learned. :)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
there was a similar post the other day, seems too cheap for the French, but if sure its not a scam (were you there then?) I would just pay up to avoid it escalating, having been pursued for a lot more than that 15 years ago, it seems a good deal TBH

although it is a useful heads up / reminder that the French have less tolerance than the UK

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Glenn just got one this morning. 78kph in a 70 zone last September. :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Isn't there a time limit on when these things can be issued? Six months is ludicrous!

Well I'd guess that as it's not as simple as executing a NIP for a UK car that is registered in the UK. So who knows in the whole process what happens before it arrives on the offenders door mat. You'd need to know what the agreement is between states for passing vehcile owner details, etc. You can just imagine how protracted that might be. Though six months does seem a lenghty process.

And it was my son who received one from France last week:)

Mick

OP
OP
C

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Glenn just got one this morning. 78kph in a 70 zone last September. :(
I feel as if we should have some sort of party :)

Gilets Jaune appear to have broken 60% of the "checking devices"
Isn't there a time limit on when these things can be issued? Six months is ludicrous!

Cherie Blair isn't doing too much these days apart from counting her money. I wonder if she would take this up as some sort of human rights case before we ...
t... (were you there then?)...

Ooft wouldn't want to incriminate myself. I plead the 4th on that :) ;)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Send a copy to Fiat Seville, pointing out how many of us cannot read their damn speedo's and how much its costing us!.
We should not have to rely on external devices like GPS, or Sat Navs to make our true speed more visible.
Feel sorry for all affected, as it would seem the margins/tolerances in some cases on the continent are pretty tight,and better monitored unlike here in the UK.
Good luck in future at avoiding them.
Les

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I feel as if we should have some sort of party :)

Gilets Jaune appear to have broken 60% of the "checking devices"

Cherie Blair isn't doing too much these days apart from counting her money. I wonder if she would take this up as some sort of human rights case before we ...

Ooft wouldn't want to incriminate myself. I plead the 4th on that :) ;)
Is that the 4th or 5th.....:)

OP
OP
C

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Is that the 4th or 5th.....:)
I started off with the 3rd amendment which is you must ask for the owners permission if you want to live in their house during a war. Subconsciously may want to carry a gun but 5th is what is required :)
Send a copy to Fiat Seville, pointing out how many of us cannot read their damn speedo's and how much its costing us!.
We should not have to rely on external devices like GPS, or Sat Navs to make our true speed more visible.
Feel sorry for all affected, as it would seem the margins/tolerances in some cases on the continent are pretty tight,and better monitored unlike here in the UK.
Good luck in future at avoiding them.
Les
I have a Renault based Adria, unfortunately/fortunately. :)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
So it looks like because the yellow jackets have sabotaged 60% of the speed cameras the ba****ds are trying to recoup their 60% drop in fines income by chasing marginal speeders that they previously wouldn't have bothered with? They are probably sat in an office as we speak sifting through a years flash photos saying "got another one, and another, and another, and another.......this ones only 1kph over? Who cares. Add him to the list...."

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So it looks like because the yellow jackets have sabotaged 60% of the speed cameras the ba****ds are trying to recoup their 60% drop in fines income by chasing marginal speeders that they previously wouldn't have bothered with? They are probably sat in an office as we speak sifting through a years flash photos saying "got another one, and another, and another, and another.......this ones only 1kph over? Who cares. Add him to the list...."
Probably don't bother sending them to French nationals.....
Sacre bleu . Zey send me yet more paper to light ze fire wiz. .

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Lot lover

Can we borrow your Gilets Jaune to 'modify' our cameras please?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
have they sent a photo, what happens if you say you wernt there?

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
August last year was 1 month after the new 80kmh laws were introduced and before any yellow-vest activity IIRC.

The old 90kmh wasn't too bad but I found 80kmh too difficult without cruise control so I opted to 'pre-pay' my inevitable fines by going through France on the toll routes, which I'm sure was half the idea.

The worst bits where the sweeping hills where you whizz up the other side, at least on the motorway I could do those comfortably in the speed limit, on the smaller roads it's the classic place for speed traps so it ruined the flow of the roads.

Out of interest in the rest ares of Toll roads what's the deal about stopping overnight there?

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
Despite the outpouring of moaning Brits about the French Speeding fines you may consider paying the money before it starts increasing at a later date.

If you were actually speeding and can remember the time and location you were caught then a swift response and payment can be done at – www.amendes.gouv.fr

If you think it wasn't you or your fault then arguing with the French administration may take much more time, effort and money than you might wish to spend on protesting your innocence.

If you are a Santander customer you can use the Santander One Pay FX International payment system at no cost – enquire at your Branch for details.

We used the Santander system last year to pay a French Hospital bill (€36).

It had taken the Hospital over 5 months to send the bill - but the cost was only a fraction of the total cost of treatment my wife received and using Santander meant no extra payment charges were incurred.

Hope this helps

OP
OP
C

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
have they sent a photo, what happens if you say you wernt there?
There are number of scenarios given - if you had sold the van; it wasn't you; otherwise they are looking for some money at 45€ and no points - worse things happen at sea.

OP
OP
C

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp

Out of interest in the rest ares of Toll roads what's the deal about stopping overnight there?
Ooft - thats a 10 page thread on its own. Some think they are safer as being on a motorway - there are limited exits and spy cameras, if travelling long distances then travelling a few km off the motorway increases the risks of accidents and speed cameras; others believe they are more dangerous, that you need cheaper fuel, better chances of a decent meal, nicer locations and the motorway aires are not quiet enough. If you want to be controversial then 'gassings' normally happen on motorways (20 page thread on that if we are not careful) when no available gas has the ability to knock people out without the risk of killing people and no-one has died by gassing, no-one knows what gas is used and no one has been caught in the act (look how much anaesthetists get paid to see it is a skilled task).

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Yes heard of gassings, think it's a myth from embarrassed sleepy campers. Motorway noise is a good point, hadn't thought of that. Cruise should prevent speeding fines, will dig out the thread, thanks.

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007

Unlike the UK motorways services where on most you need to pay to stay longer than two hours, the French ones are free and you can stay overnight. Some folks are concerned around security of overnight stopping and do not stay overnight, others are quite happy to overnight. You pay (well free in this case) your money and make your choice. :)

Mick

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I thought you get points now as well............could be wrong! Just looke dit seems that in France its the vehicles owner rather than driver who has to pay so presumably no points as no one to apply them to.

OP
OP
C

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I thought you get points now as well............could be wrong! Just looke dit seems that in France its the vehicles owner rather than driver who has to pay so presumably no points as no one to apply them to.
No it specifically says to write back and tell them if you weren't the driver. Don't want to end up like a Peterborough MP :)
I am fairly certain that the French deduct points while we add them which would be annoying as I do not have any UK points :)
Paid up as 45 Euros appeared a bargain :)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I am fairly certain that the French deduct points while we add them which would be annoying as I do not have any UK points :)
:)

That sounds great to me, because you would end up with a negative number, which might even be helpful in the future. :gum:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
What happens in this country if you are caught speeding somewhere here and don't go home for months and the letter is on the mat? They must realise you possibly didn't get the summons because you were caught a long way from home (in this country though), please?

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
What happens in this country if you are caught speeding somewhere here and don't go home for months and the letter is on the mat? They must realise you possibly didn't get the summons because you were caught a long way from home (in this country though), please?
That would be an accumulated fine, including compound interest of a million pounds please.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back