Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Not strictly true, although it may seem like it....:)

The French system allows up to 3kph above the legal speed limit before a fine may be imposed but 5kph is deducted from the detected speed to reach the determined speed of the vehicle for prosecution purposes. Thus an example I saw somewhere today for speeding in a 70kph limit showed the determined speed to be 78kph. The recorded speed was 83kph, which one has to admit is speeding in the eyes of the law. It's worth remembering that 5kph is only 3mph, so there's little to play with - and there's no question that the French don't allow the latitude enjoyed in the UK.

Given that something between 60-70% of cameras have been destroyed or put out of action by the GJ's, with a bill of about half a million euros to fix them, coupled with the ongoing loss of revenue, it wouldn't surprise me that someone in government has directed that harvesting rates need to be increased, perhaps?
The 5km deducted from my speed is shown at post 1 so that's where you saw it. Thanks for the clarification. :)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Spoke to the carpenter who works for me on Friday, his mate has just had a fine come through from France for €130.00.

They went over by car last year to attend a motorbike race and never had any idea they had got flashed!!

Looks like the Frenchies have upped their game on revenue collections:(:(

Me and Mrs CC have a few trips by car sorted to Germany this year so might just go up the E40 to Belgium then work my way over from there rather than risk it driving in France to much.

JollyJack Hawkins

Free Member
Sep 7, 2017
Bursledon
Funster No
MH
Bentley Indigo
Exp
Since April 2016
I got 2 on Thursday one for 83 Kpm in an 80 and one for 84 KPM in an 80. Bothe were in the same stretch of road at 1427 and 1452 on the same day. Dated 11th Sept. The only thing I can say is that it's the first I've ever had in 30 years driving over there. No points on the licence and I did 3600 miles without paying any tolls

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ravensworth

Free Member
Sep 2, 2011
sunderland
Funster No
MH
iveco
Exp
Has per all of the above i was fine €45 speeding in france 16/9/18 at 12.30 i have no idear were i was iwas in france paid straight away it was cheap when considering all free night stop in france ps they say i was doing 88 in 80 zone

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We had one too. 90€ from 19th September. We did see the camera flash but forgot all about it. The fine notice arrived a few days ago. We just paid it. We were caught by the same misunderstanding - assuming that a dual carriageway was ok to drive at 60mph. We'll be more careful the next time.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I suspect they are tightening up anyway including with their own nationals, because that was the point of lowering the limits in the first place. A green measure that is conveniently paid to their treasury. Every little helps!

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I wonder if the French have a freedom of information act where they can be asked how many speeding tickets have been issued to French, German, Spanish, Dutch and English registered vehicles during the last 6 months .....

I have just sent this to my MEP - it might be helpful if everyone did the same?

ps - I havent been issued with a ticket !!!!

Good morning. is there a freedom of information act in Europe please, specifically in France?

I am a member of several camping, caravanning and motorhome forums. recently there seems to be a spate of speeding tickets being issued to UK tourists.

Is there a way to find out the numbers of speeding tickets issued to French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Belgian and English registered vehicles in the last months, to see if the law is being applied fairly. I am not advocating speeding and understand the need to reduce accidents but I would like to know if the law is being applied consistently/

I look forward to your response

Mr ..................

postcode added !!

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
The French have always been out with their Speed Guns and if you see approaching cars 'flashing' their headlights at you it isn't in appreciation of your gleaming Motorhome but they are usually warning you of Inspector Clouseau a bit further down the road.

Picture near Honfleur -

POLICE 3 (600 x 330).jpg

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I wonder if the French have a freedom of information act where they can be asked how many speeding tickets have been issued to French, German, Spanish, Dutch and English registered vehicles during the last 6 months .....

I have just sent this to my MEP - it might be helpful if everyone did the same?

ps - I havent been issued with a ticket !!!!

Good morning. is there a freedom of information act in Europe please, specifically in France?

I am a member of several camping, caravanning and motorhome forums. recently there seems to be a spate of speeding tickets being issued to UK tourists.

Is there a way to find out the numbers of speeding tickets issued to French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Belgian and English registered vehicles in the last months, to see if the law is being applied fairly. I am not advocating speeding and understand the need to reduce accidents but I would like to know if the law is being applied consistently/
postcode added !!

Even if you get the numbers of tickets issued, without knowing the numbers of kilometres driven in France by the vehicles from those coutries it would be impossible to know whether they are being issued proportionately, and I doubt there is any record of kilometres.

Geoff

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
there's always at least one, finding a reason NOT to do something, rather than at least trying to get some sort of clarity

BUT, just supposing of course, what if no Belgians have been issued with tickets ...... would that tell a story? - if the question isn't asked, how do we find out ....

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Or UK registered vehicles perhaps. :)

Thanks for for your effort to get an answer. Much appreciated. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Or UK registered vehicles perhaps. :)

Thanks for for your effort to get an answer. Much appreciated. (y)

Cheers,

good point, well made sir !!

bloody forgot to add that !!! typical Englishman - oops person !!

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Don’t think it’s fair to call the French ignorant, could say that the ignorance was from the peeps caught speeding.
Ignorant of how they treat people.

It cannot take a year to process even with the delay contacting DVLA. If they think it's fun dropping a ticket on your mat a whole year after the offence I find that ignorant. (BTW, I have not yet had one but I do remember a flash whilst on my m/cycle - about 88 in an 80 - so am now awaiting my punishment!)

Here we have a speedy system so that any defences or mitigations can be taken into account whilst still warm in the memory - but a year?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

It cannot take a year to process even with the delay contacting DVLA. If they think it's fun dropping a ticket on your mat a whole year after the offence I find that ignorant. (BTW, I have not yet had one but I do remember a flash whilst on my m/cycle - about 88 in an 80 - so am now awaiting my punishment!)

Here we have a speedy system so that any defences or mitigations can be taken into account whilst still warm in the memory - but a year?
As has been pointed out in an earlier post it is an EU regulation applicable to all states ,including the UK, & allows every state 12 months from the day of the alleged offence to send the fine.
It is not just the French who do it.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
As has been pointed out in an earlier post it is an EU regulation applicable to all states ,including the UK, & allows every state 12 months from the day of the alleged offence to send the fine.
But I don't hear of any other state's tickets landing in droves in the UK right now. Just France.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

When does the 12 months end? Is it when the country of the offence sends the request to DVLA? Is it when DVLA receives it? Is it when the NIP reaches the Keeper's address.

It seems that, unless the French are deliberately delaying issue of the documentation, then their system is becoming increasingly slow and that soon the 12 month periods for fines may be exceeded, thus my question above, so that people can avoid them when the period has been breached.

I would have no compunction at turning an administrative error against the French, since they primarily encumbered the EU with Administrative structures through the predecessors of the EU(ESCC, EEC) and the various Treaties(Rome, Maastricht, Lisbon)

Geoff

Dec 28, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
Since 2016
Me too! Got zapped and I remember being flashed, 82 in a 70 somewhere near Bordeaux. Just paid it online. Took 4 months for it to arrive, which sound quite quick.
The day after receiving this I managed to get a council parking ticket.........!
D’oh!!!!!

Hughdumfries

Free Member
Mar 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Auto trail tribute 669
Exp
20p1
Better using the Santader method and get the boat to Spain saves a lot of French hassle

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The 12 month period starts the day of the offence , so ends 12 months & 1 day after.

I should have phrased the question as

'What is relevant concerning the wherabouts of the Notice when the 12 months expires' - just despatched from thissuer or with the DVLA or has it got to have been delivered to the Keeper's address before expiry?'

Geoff

Sep 26, 2018
Uk Suffolk, Spain Terrazas de la Torre.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick xl
Exp
I’m a newbi

Not ignorant at all, if that’s how their system works so be it. I say again the fault is with the folks that choose to speed, the signs are there for all to see. So if you must call anybody ignorant look a bit closer to home.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I should have phrased the question as

'What is relevant concerning the wherabouts of the Notice when the 12 months expires' - just despatched from thissuer or with the DVLA or has it got to have been delivered to the Keeper's address before expiry?'

Geoff
I'm sure it has to be delivered.

Either a number plate flipper or a hider.Eitherof these do the job. Flippers around 200 off the usual place
or there is thishttps://www.stealthplate.co.uk/technology/

no idea if it works .
Ot to those technophobe's scale up an auto reaction welding mask to have fitted over the front & rear.

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
Presumably one has to report these French etc speeding fines to the insurance company on renewal? Has anybody done that yet and can tell us the reaction of the insurance company eg premium increased/just made a note/was not interested?

I have been flashed a few times, but no ticket yet, the flashes were on the autoroute where the cameras seem to think I am an HGV but presumably the system later identifies me as a motorhome.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Presumably one has to report these French etc speeding fines to the insurance company on renewal? Has anybody done that yet and can tell us the reaction of the insurance company eg premium increased/just made a note/was not interested?
If I'm ever unlucky enough to get a French speeding ticket, and whilst not in receipt of any points, I shall be very guilty of not disclosing the details to my insurer. ;)

Cheers,

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Presumably one has to report these French etc speeding fines to the insurance company on renewal?
You will only be making a nightmare for yourself. Here when the question is asked it only refers to points deductions. Fines without points are of no interest.

My friend delivers new cars for something to do_On 3 occasions he has been run into from behind. occasionally he gets an odd speeding ticket.When I asked how all this affects his car/van/motorhome insurance he said why he would tell them as it isn't anything to do with his own vehicles?

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
You will only be making a nightmare for yourself. Here when the question is asked it only refers to points deductions. Fines without points are of no interest.

My friend delivers new cars for something to do_On 3 occasions he has been run into from behind. occasionally he gets an odd speeding ticket.When I asked how all this affects his car/van/motorhome insurance he said why he would tell them as it isn't anything to do with his own vehicles?
if you get done for speeding but choose the option of a speed awareness course, you are told you do not need to inform your insurers

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
On arriving home we had received a letter from the Ministry of the Interior about licence points. But for once good news, an old infraction has been wiped and I am back to a full hand of 12 points.:dance2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back