UK Campsites are Filling Up (4 Viewers)

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I suppose in time we will do a night here and there without EHU. We have a solar panel up there and a 2nd battery and a switch in the cupboard? other than that i wouldn't have a clue.
We wont book anywhere as we have no idea where we may go. When we do know we will phone around to see what is available..................................with EHU :giggle:

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
This year will see the largest use of touring pitches in whatever form.When people can fly abroad again and those who rushed out and bought Mh's will sell things will return to a norm.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Even at £200 you would soon get it back by not paying for ehu.
Only a small part of the site fee is towards the leccy, so it would take a long time to get your money back.

In fact i'm quite looking forward to a night without real leccy...............mustn't forget the candles for a bit of added:love:

Reactions: DBK
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Not all early booking of sites is block booking with the wrong intention , we have booked ahead as far as August and will honour the bookings as I am sure many others do.
I agree, no harm in early booking. I have booked ahead and hope to be allowed to use them all.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
If I've said it once I've said it a million times. Don't write "all of you are doing the same" {block booking}.

I bet there are more responders to this thread just booking what they aim to use if Covid-19 allows.
the kevenh's have 4 campsite holidays booked from the April 21 date we can hopefully get out (if 4 rules are met) until April 22.

I can't recall & would have to read the thread again, has a Funster actually written that they would or have just made a lot of bookings just on the off chance? Maybe, not sure.

Knowing that; as a majority; we dislike the "CAMC no deposit, cancel as close as 3 days from use Pitch" policy that would be a little off. imo

edit: some clarity grammar :(

Last edited:

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We have booked from the 12th April right up to the 23rd June using a mix of mostly CAMC sites and cls oh and a week long rally in Devon. We plan to use all of these bookings, but it’s hard work rather than just driving about and deciding over a coffee on a morning where we will travel to that day. Yes we do prefer the continental style but needs must and I’m not spending anymore time on a business storage site near to Whitchurch although I could become a local guide in the surrounding area as we have walked all of the local paths and canal paths. Roll on the the Summer.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
So you have booked 100 nights, but not going to use them all , do you pay for every night even if you are not there, how much does this average out for the nights you do use?
Do you sub let the other nights or is the site just sitting there with empty pitch's? :unsure:
They kindly gave us a pro rata rate based on a proportion of their annual seasonal price. Which makes the daily rate more than acceptable. We will leave the van in situ on site and drive home in a car when necessary for business or personal reasons.
Nothing selfish about what we are doing we are paying for a seasonal pitch just like many others.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Apart from medical equipment, I can't see why there is anyone who couldn't manage a couple of nights without any other sort of power than the leisure battery.
And the addition of a solar panel would mean that would extend to a week.
Hair dryer, not even up for debate. Haha

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Just booked a haven site for early September for 1 week ,fully serviced hard standing pitch £106.
Thought that was reasonable ,if I deduct the services it's less £42 for the week.

Haven are really good value out of school holidays, previously been for around £9 per night with EHU etc.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I started this thread following my experience booking pitches for a rally. As thing have turned out the site must have culled a couple of the permanent residents because they have made a bit more room for us. We are now up to a site-busting number of 13* vans! :)

But the Murvi Club are booking other rallies with better success. The following week there will be a larger gathering at Shrewsbury - so there are spaces to be found but a bit of research and flexibility is needed in popular areas I think. :)

* I'm not superstitious but won't be doing anything dangerous. :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Our community needs to support UK sites first, they have had a tough time and need to survive for next year and the year after.
So come on Funsters this weekend get booking especially the smaller CL sites, yeah ok I might be a little biased there, (see below).
Only used sites in UK for three weeks in the last twenty years so won't affect me .BUSBY.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Think we would consider one of those Haven site type places out of school holidays, if the pitch was EHUep.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I would urge everyone to try curb their hook up addiction. It is camping after all :D. I recall most every one of those evenings where our single battery gave out, and we giggled played cards using a torch hung from a locker as a lantern. Funny how you remember those fun times more than when you had lots of electricty, and watched some long forgotten TV program.

But with modern 12v kit and cheap solar, no one should run out of power for at least a couple of days, and so what if you do, the battery dies, not you. There is lots of fun to be had in the dark!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I would urge everyone to try curb their hook up addiction. It is camping after all :D. I recall most every one of those evenings where our single battery gave out, and we giggled played cards using a torch hung from a locker as a lantern. Funny how you remember those fun times more than when you had lots of electricty, and watch some long forgotten TV program

But with modern 12v kit and cheap solar, no one should run out of power for at least a couple of days, and so what if you do, the battery dies, not you. There is lots of fun to be had in the dark!
Couldn't have put it any better, that's half the fun of motorhomes.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Anyone seen the last Travel Trolls YouTube thing, telling you to get booked up, good advice, no acting the goat, don't know if his experience on here has tempered his method.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Couldn't have put it any better, that's half the fun of motorhomes.
Yes and no. Not everyone who has a motorhome or caravan does it just to be caravaning. People do use them for other reasons. It’s a way of staying somewhere for their needs. Visiting someone or something, a hobby or sports, etc. The van or caravan can just be a means to do something and they might not have that much particular interest in the van life etc.

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
We do find that we miss a lot of bookings due to lack of EHU, some people are just hooked on the stuff.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yes and no. Not everyone who has a motorhome or caravan does it just to be caravaning. People do use them for other reasons. It’s a way of staying somewhere for their needs. Visiting someone or something, a hobby or sports, etc. The van or caravan can just be a means to do something and they might not have that much particular interest in the van life etc.
We have been going all over Europe for twelve years now in three different vans, month at a time, never yet needed to hook up, if we stop somewhere where ehu is thrown in we have on an occasion used it but then sit there wondering what to do with it, no just can't be bothered finding the cable now. :unsure: :giggle:

Bant

Free Member
Jan 16, 2020
Funster No
MH
AutocruiseStarseeker
Exp
Since 2018
Yes, sadly it is. You need to email the CMC and tell them they need to take a deposit and this would stop this.
Superb booking system at CMHC ,the reason most join. Can book a year ahead,cannot double book any night and those that abuse the late cancellation no fee have the facility removed. Mind you cancellations some made worked to our benefit last year as we had some great little breaks. The issue is more to do with there being a Pandemic so demand is far exceeding demand. As with most holidays the earlier you book ahead the better the choice.

Bant

Free Member
Jan 16, 2020
Funster No
MH
AutocruiseStarseeker
Exp
Since 2018
I booked ahead at the beginning of Feb in anticipation of the rush and have got four bookings on different sites taking us to August.
Likewise ...no brainer really. Pity for those that can’t but the same will apply to all UK holidays ( there is a Pandemic after all) 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back