UK Campsites are Filling Up (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I won't be booking anything, if it has to be uk :( it will be a last resort, and will be a pub or something, definitely not a CCC type thing, to be honest where we live is as good as anything in UK, can sit in our own garden , pub across the road, country views all round, what's the point of being regimented with loads of other people at a collosal expense.
No it will wait till we can go to France as soon as possible(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Yes, sadly it is. You need to email the CMC and tell them they need to take a deposit and this would stop this.
I’ve supported this many times in past threads but l am beginning to wonder if doing this would fit CMC criteria! In having so many forward bookings particularly on all the popular sites they force members on to all the less popular ones of which there are many often in out of the way locations.

They always quote the amount of pitches available on any particular week/weekend in order to prove availability but many sites are never full and always have availability,therefore,can you imagine how much quieter they might be without members being forced to consider these in order to get away.

just a thought.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
It's time that ALL British sites stopped taking any bookings, they should work the same system as French Aires, first come first served!
The fact that there are thousands of Aires is the reason it works there but wouldn’t here, if you find one full there is always another down the road, additionally, Caravans are not allowed on Aires or Camping activity so very different.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
I won't be booking anything, if it has to be uk :( it will be a last resort, and will be a pub or something, definitely not a CCC type thing, to be honest where we live is as good as anything in UK, can sit in our own garden , pub across the road, country views all round, what's the point of being regimented with loads of other people at a collosal expense.
No it will wait till we can go to France as soon as possible(y)
Have you ever tried one of the CL type farm type sites for £8-£10 a night . Limited to 5 vans and often very peaceful . Might be just what you need if you can’t get into Europe 👍🏻

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Anticipating the mad rush I booked CAMC sites, both club and CLs in January. It was easy then but the CL owners said the were filling up fast. We don’t even try in peak season school holiday time either.
A good Cornwall holiday in June beckons, try getting that now.
Some MHF rallies as well, I believe they will beat all record numbers too.
Phil. upmetank

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Have you ever tried one of the CL type farm type sites for £8-£10 a night . Limited to 5 vans and often very peaceful . Might be just what you need if you can’t get into Europe 👍🏻
Yeah we have in the past, also places similar to Jim which is very good, but I'm afraid UK does nothing for me now, can't be many places we havnt been, since going to France 12 years ago nothing here seems worth it, apart from odd breaks if something special is on.
And all the people booking whole months in front is bound to make the sites full but when it comes down to it and they don't go there's going to be vacancies, probably at reduced price.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It's time that ALL British sites stopped taking any bookings, they should work the same system as French Aires, first come first served!
Nope, sites need to squeeze people while they can!

Or if you prefer ‘make hay whilst the sun shines’.

If they don’t make money they will switch to lodges, Yurts, static vans or seasonal pitches.

There are so many sites that have less and less touring pitches, some closed to tourers completely.

By the way the Aires are slowly disappearing and going over to campercar park, where you pay and book in advance

Great idea👍🏻

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Listening to the state of play in Germany today (only 5% vaccinated) I shouldn't want to go there this year.
And China has apparently achieved more than 52 Million Vaccinations in two months

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Yeah we have in the past, also places similar to Jim which is very good, but I'm afraid UK does nothing for me now, can't be many places we havnt been, since going to France 12 years ago nothing here seems worth it, apart from odd breaks if something special is on.
And all the people booking whole months in front is bound to make the sites full but when it comes down to it and they don't go there's going to be vacancies, probably at reduced price.
12 years is a long time and I guess you found lots of nice places , met some amazing people and have some great memories. I really hope you get to travel into Europe again . 👍🏻

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Im sure you are aware of the abnormal circumstances caused by the pandemic and yet you are horrified by people booking ahead, of course they will book ahead to ensure they can get away bearing in mind the abnormal demand created by the crisis.
Freedom of the van will come but realism and acceptance of the situation is necessary as the pandemic and its effect are a fact of life.
You misunderstand my point! I'm not horrified by people that need to book ahead.

I understand totally the need to book ahead in these difficult times. It was more a comment on our own personal preferences for the spontaneity of being able to jump in the van with no fixed plan. That's how we love to enjoy motorhome life - in normal times!! We know that's not going to happen this year!

No criticism whatsoever was intended of anyone who likes to, or at the present time, needs to book ahead, and I apologise if it came across that way. Enjoy your trip!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
You misunderstand my point! I'm not horrified by people that need to book ahead.

I understand totally the need to book ahead in these difficult times. It was more a comment on our own personal preferences for the spontaneity of being able to jump in the van with no fixed plan. That's how we love to enjoy motorhome life - in normal times!! We know that's not going to happen this year!

No criticism whatsoever was intended of anyone who likes to, or at the present time, needs to book ahead, and I apologise if it came across that way. Enjoy your trip!

Sorry if I took your post the wrong way and yes it’s difficult for those that travel at the drop of a hat with little or no forward planning.
We unfortunately have to work around grandchildren’s term times so a little restricted.

I hope you can set the wheels rolling as soon a lockdown eases.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Nope, sites need to squeeze people while they can!

Or if you prefer ‘make hay whilst the sun shines’.

If they don’t make money they will switch to lodges, Yurts, static vans or seasonal pitches.

There are so many sites that have less and less touring pitches, some closed to tourers completely.

By the way the Aires are slowly disappearing and going over to campercar park, where you pay and book in advance

Great idea👍🏻
Shame you think that sites should squeeze whilst they can, that mentality will just push campers to compare costs and move to glampin/ lodge holidays, but I suppose that could play into your hands as there would be lots of 2nd hand vans for you to sell, though values will drop 😜

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Shame you think that sites should squeeze whilst they can, that mentality will just push campers to compare costs and move to glampin/ lodge holidays, but I suppose that could play into your hands as there would be lots of 2nd hand vans for you to sell, though values will drop 😜
Nope wrong on all counts

We don't sell vans

And monthly get big fat cheques waved under our noses from static manufacturers wanting to use the site as a sales office for to 60 odd units they will flood our site with, closing it to caravans and campers

We have resisted so far

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Nope wrong on all counts

We don't sell vans

And monthly get big fat cheques waved under our noses from static manufacturers wanting to use the site as a sales office for to 60 odd units they will flood our site with, closing it to caravans and campers

We have resisted so far
My mistake I got you mixed up with Alan, teach me to be a keyboard warrior with one hand and a fork in the other. 🙀

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994

We have resisted so far
I think that's the biggest threat to touring sites
I have seen 3 sites I regularly go to that have massively increased their static footprint 🙁

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have seen 3 sites I regularly go to that have massively increased their static footprint 🙁
It's the same in countries like France. Commercial sites reducing touring pitches and installing more sheds. While municipal sites (and aires) being signed over to Camping-car Parks as the local council/commune doesn't have the funds to invest.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I booked a summer's worth of CAMC sites (no deposits required) in early Feb in anticipation of a rush when Boris revealed his restriction-easing road map and even then I had to route my trips according to pitch availability rather than my preferred itinerary.
In my 20 or so years of motorhoming this will be my first time touring in the U.K. with the m/home although I did tour U.K. a lot by car or motorbike and tent in the 20 years pre-motorhome. Touring abroad I have never wanted to or had to book sites ahead or planned a travel itinerary. To be perfectly honest I don't feel at all excited about my U.K. touring plans and if foreign restrictions are lifted I'll be cancelling all my CAMC bookings.

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Our community needs to support UK sites first, they have had a tough time and need to survive for next year and the year after.
So come on Funsters this weekend get booking especially the smaller CL sites, yeah ok I might be a little biased there, (see below).

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Our community needs to support UK sites first, they have had a tough time and need to survive for next year and the year after.
So come on Funsters this weekend get booking especially the smaller CL sites, yeah ok I might be a little biased there, (see below).

Any EHU yet?

Reactions: DBK

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Any EHU yet?
To be honest we did not get enough bookings last year to warrant even considering it. If we put electric in we will be forced to raise prices which people do not want to pay. We have said in the past that we will accept the quiet suitcase generators as long as it is to top up batteries and not disturbing other guests.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
In all fairness who can blame them, a wet summer will pay havoc with your sales forecast, whereas statics provide a guaranteed annual income.

We fully understand Skez as we tend to be spontaneous too, weather looks good next week let’s go is our modus operandi. However this summer anticipating lack of availability we have booked 100 days at one of our favourite sites on the South West coastal path in Devon. We won’t be there all the time but at least we will definitely have somewhere to go.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
To be honest we did not get enough bookings last year to warrant even considering it. If we put electric in we will be forced to raise prices which people do not want to pay. We have said in the past that we will accept the quiet suitcase generators as long as it is to top up batteries and not disturbing other guests.

We’d be happy to visit if you ever get EHU available. Keep us updated.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back