UK Campsites are Filling Up (3 Viewers)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
In all fairness who can blame them, a wet summer will pay havoc with your sales forecast, whereas statics provide a guaranteed annual income.

We fully understand Skez as we tend to be spontaneous too, weather looks good next week let’s go is our modus operandi. However this summer anticipating lack of availability we have booked 100 days at one of our favourite sites on the South West coastal path in Devon. We won’t be there all the time but at least we will definitely have somewhere to go.
So you have booked 100 nights, but not going to use them all , do you pay for every night even if you are not there, how much does this average out for the nights you do use?
Do you sub let the other nights or is the site just sitting there with empty pitch's? :unsure:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Have managed to book a CMC site every week (no gaps) from 12 April to end of summer. Got in early before the end of lockdown was announced. As the saying goes “if you snooze you lose”

Struggled to get places last summer due to demand and decided I wasn’t going to have the same problem this year. And the clubs no deposit and easy cancellation policy means I can change my plans if I need to.
Crazy, I have just looked back at this thread and you all seem to be doing the same :doh: how the hell can there be any vacancies if you are all booking every one even though you have no intention of going, what's the sense in that?
No good even for the sites if you all cancel when it's to late to let it out to someone else.
Very selfish attitude in my opinion.:(

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Crazy, I have just looked back at this thread and you all seem to be doing the same :doh: how the hell can there be any vacancies if you are all booking every one even though you have no intention of going, what's the sense in that?
No good even for the sites if you all cancel when it's to late to let it out to someone else.

We will be using all of our bookings (covid rules allowing). Our only questionable one is York in October because we mainly go there for the restaurants and pubs. If cancelled it will be at least 2 weeks before and I have no doubt the dates would be taken again within a few hours.

Just a thought, I could post on here before I cancel to give someone a heads up that a weekend will be available as the system updates almost instantly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Many m/homers have particular reasons for always having had to block book pitches: Matching school hols, work leave, availability of carers for elderly left behind etc. so nothing new there.
This year I've been forced to book 30 CAMC nights between May and September to mirror my son's available work leave in his adapted motorhome in case we cannot wander abroad at will without booking as we have done for the past ten years. His wife is physically disabled following a car accident and unsatisfactory spine reconstruction and cannot cope with hotel beds, showers, lifts, public facilities, airports, unsuitable restaurant chairs etc. so I pitch alongside to be able to give my son a break and a bit of help and support.
We certainly don't want to book up sites that we may not need but in view of the demand caused by the staycation enforcement we have no choice.
I will make independent trips, preferably abroad if allowed, but very grudgingly in U.K. if not.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We will be using all of our bookings (covid rules allowing). Our only questionable one is York in October because we mainly go there for the restaurants and pubs. If cancelled it will be at least 2 weeks before and I have no doubt the dates would be taken again within a few hours.

Just a thought, I could post on here before I cancel to give someone a heads up that a weekend will be available as the system updates almost instantly.
Whilst applauding your last paragraph, the fact remains that someone else might have tried to book that week and seeing it booked up had to book somewhere else or give up altogether.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Many m/homers have particular reasons for always having had to block book pitches: Matching school hols, work leave, availability of carers for elderly left behind etc. so nothing new there.
This year I've been forced to book 30 CAMC nights between May and September to mirror my son's available work leave in his adapted motorhome in case we cannot wander abroad at will without booking as we have done for the past ten years. His wife is physically disabled following a car accident and unsatisfactory spine reconstruction and cannot cope with hotel beds, showers, lifts, public facilities, airports, unsuitable restaurant chairs etc. so I pitch alongside to be able to give my son a break and a bit of help and support.
We certainly don't want to book up sites that we may not need but in view of the demand caused by the staycation enforcement we have no choice.
I will make independent trips, preferably abroad if allowed, but very grudgingly in U.K. if not.
That is a different situation altogether though, it's not booking loads of nights that you have no intention of useing.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I think that's the biggest threat to touring sites
I have seen 3 sites I regularly go to that have massively increased their static footprint 🙁
Even the CMC is putting in camping pods and the like.

I expect the pitch fees will keep rising. How many new campsites are being created? Not many. Local Authorities are being blackmailed into allocating more land for residential development otherwise they lose Government grants. Where does that leave development for campsites in the pecking order?

In some respects a deep recession after this pandemic starts to die away will be good for tourers because it might kill the demand for more statics and lodges.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Whilst applauding your last paragraph, the fact remains that someone else might have tried to book that week and seeing it booked up had to book somewhere else or give up altogether.

The last thing I want to do is cancel but if covid restrictions are in place I’d rather be at home than sat in what is basically a car park in York.

I have been to Rowntree Park twice a year pre covid and it’s always been very difficult to book only to arrive to see lots of empty pitches for the whole weekend. I do wonder how many cancel last minute or just don’t go at all leaving the booking in place.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Another reason that I've just discovered for for early block booking is that many folk book just a Friday and Saturday night throughout the year for weekends away. I understand that and would do the same if still working.
However, this means that I've been able to book pitches Sunday to Thursday nights but have frequently found myself 'homeless' for two nights in the middle of a trip. I have never experienced that traveling abroad without booking at all.
Several aspects of motorhoming in the U.K. have been quite a culture shock to me, none the least that we seem welcome abroad rather than just tolerated over here.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
What will change is a lot more sites will switch over to more automation

We are only a small site, but due to brief gypsy infestation in 2019 and now the Corona virus, out customers have to book online. When they book online they have to give us the information we require, or the booking system, "Spits 'em out"

To finalise the booking a deposit has to be paid, or depending on the amount of money or the time between the booking and the stay payment in full.

When our customers arrive, they are met with a hefty entrance barrier that will automatically read their number plate, cross reference everything and if everything is correct, open up and let our guests in, all in a blink of an eye.

So our guests can book online select their pitch, arrive, enjoy their stay and leave by the appointed time on the departure day and never meet the staff!

Now in reality our staff are friendly and welcoming, always out and about ready to help people but gypsies have made us more security conscious and Covid has made us adopt procedures that "can" make human interaction unnecessary if needed.

No doubt some will criticise us asking what about people who don't have access to the internet, don't have credit cards can't/won't use technology? and I would answer that in 2021 that is "their" problem to resolve rather than "our" problem to accommodate.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
..........Several aspects of motorhoming in the U.K. have been a real culture shock to me, none the least that we seem welcome abroad rather than just tolerated over here.
It's not just Motorhomes, riding a motorcycle on the continent is so different from the UK. In France many cars will move over to let a bike pass, hotels welcome us and often provide secure covered parking, we are considered sportsmen rather than hoodlums.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
What will change is a lot more sites will switch over to more automation

We are only a small site, but due to brief gypsy infestation in 2019 and now the Corona virus, out customers have to book online. When they book online they have to give us the information we require, or the booking system, "Spits 'em out"

To finalise the booking a deposit has to be paid, or depending on the amount of money or the time between the booking and the stay payment in full.

When our customers arrive, they are met with a hefty entrance barrier that will automatically read their number plate, cross reference everything and if everything is correct, open up and let our guests in, all in a blink of an eye.

So our guests can book online select their pitch, arrive, enjoy their stay and leave by the appointed time on the departure day and never meet the staff!

Now in reality our staff are friendly and welcoming, always out and about ready to help people but gypsies have made us more security conscious and Covid has made us adopt procedures that "can" make human interaction unnecessary if needed.

No doubt some will criticise us asking what about people who don't have access to the internet, don't have credit cards can't/won't use technology? and I would answer that in 2021 that is "their" problem to resolve rather than "our" problem to accommodate.
Your security measures sound great and I don’t think you need to worry about disenfranchised campers because they do not have internet, it’s highly unlikely that anyone who is a motorhomer doesn’t have internet, 1 how would they find you ?, 2 how did they find/purchase van without cards, 3 how do they pay for fuel now with most garages reluctant to accept cash.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
This is not a criticism in any way but why do you need EHU ? These days solar energy and battery power with inverters compensate for all that.
This would open up so many more sites for you.
Phil

Because we don’t have solar and run a single leisure battery with our current MH. To be honest we’ve never even attempted to use battery only when away and anywhere we have wanted to go has always had EHU anyway.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
To me the block booking of sites with no intention of honouring them all is no different than panic buying toilet paper. Unfair on others and particularly site operators. I call them bog roll holidays. We all have to cancel occasionally and I am not telling others how to behave, just giving a personal opinion.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is not a criticism in any way but why do you need EHU ? These days solar energy and battery power with inverters compensate for all that.
This would open up so many more sites for you.
Phil
Apart from medical equipment, I can't see why there is anyone who couldn't manage a couple of nights without any other sort of power than the leisure battery.
And the addition of a solar panel would mean that would extend to a week.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Because we don’t have solar and run a single leisure battery with our current MH. To be honest we’ve never even attempted to use battery only when away and anywhere we have wanted to go has always had EHU anyway.
Fair enough. But you can buy a solar 100 watt flexible solar panel with controller for around £120 on eBay. Dead easy to fit using sikaflex adhesive and even with one battery makes a huge difference.
Phil

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
And the addition of a solar panel would mean that would extend to a week.
Even at this time of year we could probably manage many weeks without EHU, with just a 100w panel and a 100ah battery.

We'll be looking for THS for our holiday stays until mainland Europe opens , generally no EHU available at these places which suit us fine.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Fair enough. But you can buy a solar 100 watt flexible solar panel with controller for around £120 on eBay. Dead easy to fit using sikaflex adhesive and even with one battery makes a huge difference.
Phil

True but it’s probably double that by the time it’s been fitted as I wouldn’t attempt myself. It’s not the money, more the arse of getting it done when it has never been required. I store it at home plugged in over winter so keeping topped up hasn’t been an issue either.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is not a criticism, and as much for anyone else in the same situation, but the freedom of motorhomeing is lost if you have to rely on ehu, just this one instance of not being able to use this site because of it, why not try it ,I'm sure the owners would sort you out if you couldn't manage.
But the thrill of the open road and parking where you want, when you want to is lost until you try it, and if you go to Europe and use Aires with a solar panel, the sky is the limit, free to boot (y) :sun:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
True but it’s probably double that by the time it’s been fitted as I would attempt myself. It’s not the money, more the arse of getting it done when it has never been required. I store it at home plugged in over winter so keeping topped up hasn’t been an issue either.
Why would it be double if you do it yourself, surly that wouldn't cost anything?

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Even at £200 you would soon get it back by not paying for ehu.

Not sure I’ve ever paid extra for it, the only times I could have saved a couple of quid a night by going for a non EHU pitch would be when I’ve been away with campers and wanted to be pitched next to them so couldn’t take advantage of the saving.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
To me the block booking of sites with no intention of honouring them all is no different than panic buying toilet paper. Unfair on others and particularly site operators. I call them bog roll holidays. We all have to cancel occasionally and I am not telling others how to behave, just giving a personal opinion.
Not all early booking of sites is block booking with the wrong intention , we have booked ahead as far as August and will honour the bookings as I am sure many others do.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I've been fine for fifteen years using aires etc. using refillable LPG and without EHU, solar or B2B and just one installed hab battery (it's always been a starter type). It's only needed for lighting, water pump, phone charging and fridge igniter. I'm usually on the road every two or three days which recharges the battery. I don't need a T.V., DVD player, hairdryer, laptop etc. and moved to freedom motorhoming as a luxurious step up from minimalist tenting by motorbike rather than a step down from being at home. Suits me well.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
I've been fine for fifteen years using aires etc. using refillable LPG and without EHU, solar or B2B and just one installed hab battery (it's always been a starter type). It's only needed for lighting, water pump, phone charging and fridge igniter. I'm usually on the road every two or three days which recharges the battery. I don't need a T.V., DVD player, hairdryer, laptop etc. and moved to freedom motorhoming as a luxurious step up from minimalist tenting by motorbike rather than a step down from being at home. Suits me well.

TV, Laptop (wifes work) , coffee machine, hair dryer

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back