DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It won't come as a surprise I suspect but if anyone has plans to use any UK campsites this year they need to book soon. I only just managed to get a few days on the CMC site near Tintagel in early May and the rally I'm organising elsewhere in Devon during May for the Murvi Owners' Club is going to be smaller than I'd hoped because the site only had 10 pitches left and I wanted 15 as groups of up to 30 should be allowed to gather by then.

Good news for the sites after a bad twelve months of course but the message for MH users should be clear. :)

I guess it won't be the same everywhere, Cornwall is popular of course, but the touristy areas elsewhere must be similar.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
It won't come as a surprise I suspect but if anyone has plans to use any UK campsites this year they need to book soon. I only just managed to get a few days on the CMC site near Tintagel in early May and the rally I'm organising elsewhere in Devon during May for the Murvi Owners' Club is going to be smaller than I'd hoped because the site only had 10 pitches left and I wanted 15 as groups of up to 30 should be allowed to gather by then.

Good news for the sites after a bad twelve months of course but the message for MH users should be clear. :)

I guess it won't be the same everywhere, Cornwall is popular of course, but the touristy areas elsewhere must be similar.
Isn’t it the case that lots of people book on CMC sites but never turn up,or cancel nearer the booking time?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Isn’t it the case that lots of people book on CMC sites but never turn up,or cancel nearer the booking time?
Yes it is, and the CMC know this, the main reason we joined the C&CC.

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
swmbo booked the majority of ours and we got in everywhere we wanted, just in time it seems, as yes, they definitely filling up. just hope the weather is ok hahahaha

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Well if the British MHomers are planning to stay in UK it gives more space on Aires/Stellplatz for us Continental Residents - he said selfishly.
not if you are either A not allowed to travel or B you are allowed to travel but them over there won't let you cos they are still having issues. ;)

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
We set out some dates, some short weekends, some long weekends and a couple of 5-7 day periods. Picked a site and booked it for one of the set dates available, picked another site and booked another etc etc.

We now have the majority of the dates we wanted and at the sites we wanted, some we may add extra nights to closer to the time.

I think the problem arises more when you set your heart on a particular location or site for certain dates.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Just booked a 5 week trip working our way north via Staffordshire, Cheshire, Yorkshire Dales, Northumberland, Scotland as far north as JOG and back down the middle end of May into June.
Plenty of space at most sites except some in NE England where we wanted to stop on the way home. Found alternatives easily though.
Damned expensive compared to our usual French aires.........but it’s only money.

Richard.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
York CAMC in April 2022 is when we got in for a few consecutive days.
March 2022 was also possible. Sunday is when we booked.
Before then, just odd separated days,

Found some CL were easier for our June & July breaks. April 21 we booked a Weston-Super-Mare location site a week or 2 ago.

Reactions: DBK

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
York CAMC in April 2022 is when we got in for a few consecutive days.
March 2022 was also possible. Sunday is when we booked.
Before then, just odd separated days,

Found some CL were easier for our June & July breaks. April 21 we booked a Weston-Super-Mare location site a week or 2 ago.

Thank you, I decided to check availability again at Rowntree Park York CAMC and managed to book a Friday - Sunday in October this year. We have been twice a year for the last couple of years (pre covid) always near on impossible to book a weekend especially when going with friends and needing two pitches.

Will have to review closer to the time as we won’t bother unless pubs & restaurants are open.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Ah, but you`ll have a garlic munching Frenchman pitched 150mm from your hab door :rofl:

Most of the Aires and Stellplatz we park on, out of July/Aug, are practically empty.

Honfleur was an exception, but I had to go there because when I took my boat down the French canals to Greece it was not possible to get into Honfleur and catch the flood tide up to Rouen.

We found a very nice little bistro in a back square who accommodated my smoking lady with a table outside and an excellent meal at much less than around the old harbour. Done it, no need to go back.

Even Burgues, which is used by many for transit to/from Dunkirk has never been full and nobody parks very close.

So where have you had that experience?

Geoff

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Just booked a 5 week trip working our way north via Staffordshire, Cheshire, Yorkshire Dales, Northumberland, Scotland as far north as JOG and back down the middle end of May into June.
Plenty of space at most sites except some in NE England where we wanted to stop on the way home. Found alternatives easily though.
Damned expensive compared to our usual French aires.........but it’s only money.

Richard.
It's great that you've been able to book what you want - it just horrifies me that booking ahead like that is the only way in the UK. For us it completely defeats the purpose of the freedom of a van. Really hope we can get across to somewhere over the Channel!! Tunnel now shifted to the last date before the ticket expires!!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It's great that you've been able to book what you want - it just horrifies me that booking ahead like that is the only way in the UK. For us it completely defeats the purpose of the freedom of a van. Really hope we can get across to somewhere over the Channel!! Tunnel now shifted to the last date before the ticket expires!!
Im sure you are aware of the abnormal circumstances caused by the pandemic and yet you are horrified by people booking ahead, of course they will book ahead to ensure they can get away bearing in mind the abnormal demand created by the crisis.
Freedom of the van will come but realism and acceptance of the situation is necessary as the pandemic and its effect are a fact of life.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Has anybody tried to book a non C site?

To date i don't think we have used a C site. Always been happy with "private" sites. We are of the mind if one is going for a break, holiday, call it what you will i am not interested in saving a £1.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Have managed to book a CMC site every week (no gaps) from 12 April to end of summer. Got in early before the end of lockdown was announced. As the saying goes “if you snooze you lose”

Struggled to get places last summer due to demand and decided I wasn’t going to have the same problem this year. And the clubs no deposit and easy cancellation policy means I can change my plans if I need to.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back