UK Campsites are Filling Up (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We do a mixture. We like campsites but we love our rallies or whatever they are called this year. If the campsite facilities are nice I happily use them but I wouldn’t dream of going in them without flipflops or crocs.
We have a single 140 a battery and 120V solar panel and a 3 way fridge so have never had any problems off grid in late spring, summer or early autumn in the UK. No inverter so I have my short motorhoming haircut! We only have a PVC but this year we hope to see whether lithium will be worth considering if we use our electric bikes enough.

I don’t fancy really roughing it, I suppose I would en route to somewhere but it’s not my cup of tea. Some aires are nice but I don’t understand staying for days on end in a car park. I can afford not to but if the only way I could travel was in a cheap van, in free places, eking out every penny then you bet I would!

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
If we all booked in that way Robert we’d be b******d! Can’t help thinking it’s a bit selfish. No doubt others will disagree.
I assume you are referring to Robert Clark who posted near the start of this thread.
Although I can’t answer for Robert, I think they are having to full time in the van while their house is re-modelled.
That would be a pretty good reason for booking well ahead.

Richard.

Dec 1, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner Marano
Exp
I’m a newbie
We feel very lucky started booking our month tour from 21st June to 21st July and booked 10 sites and this week around the U.K. and got into every one no trouble. Good luck to all our friends the campers

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
staying for days on end in a car park.
I have spent many days on aires that are as good as some UK campsites at fraction of the price.

The assumption that all aires are carparks is totally wrong.
WP_20170928_15_09_08_Pro.jpg

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Apart from medical equipment, I can't see why there is anyone who couldn't manage a couple of nights without any other sort of power than the leisure battery.
And the addition of a solar panel would mean that would extend to a week.
0r forever in Europe !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I think if we were on the road and needed a night or 2 down a lane then i would be up for that.

Reactions: DBK
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I have spent many days on aires that are as good as some UK campsites at fraction of the price.

View attachment 471223
In my post I have clearly said that some aires are nice!

Malcvolm

Free Member
Mar 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Caravan
If you want to book a site for a few days midweek there are a lot of spaces. But virtually all CAMC are booked for one or two nights over the weekends till much later in the year, so if you want a stay of longer than 5 nights it’s going to be difficult to find somewhere. the CAMC must be able to get stats for how many bookings are cancelled, I wonder if the system will let you make bookings for two sites at the same time, then you could go to the one with the best forecast weather! I suspect some do.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I don't know until i've tried it. Got solar on ours.

In the summer when on a site for a night or three, I often can't be bothered to hook up, even if I've paid for it. I'm still using a leccy toaster and kettle. Recycling my batteries which is good for them. From early May to the end of September we can go entirely hook up free for weeks on end (unless we visit wales) :D

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
If you want to book a site for a few days midweek there are a lot of spaces. But virtually all CAMC are booked for one or two nights over the weekends till much later in the year, so if you want a stay of longer than 5 nights it’s going to be difficult to find somewhere. the CAMC must be able to get stats for how many bookings are cancelled, I wonder if the system will let you make bookings for two sites at the same time, then you could go to the one with the best forecast weather! I suspect some do.

The system only lets you book one site per date.

If you are struggling to book a 5 night block I have found the best way is to book now for the available dates and then keep checking for cancellations on the other dates and book them as they become available.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
This camping lark, isn’t it being where you want to be whether you pay for it or not...?
I’ll alway make sure my van can stay off grid indefinitely on some nice free Aires and I’ll also pay €20 a night in a site if it’s where I want to be.... that’s my choice.

it’s a good job we’re all different otherwise we’ll all be living in Stepford...😉

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09

View attachment 471223
I couldnt agree more with this.
There is the occasional one where Sardines would be a fair description, but we dont stay at them, the reviews see to that. Anything less than 3 out of 5 or equivalent sees us not even bothering to go there.
I can only presume that people have tried a couple of the sardine ones and given up, or not done their research properly or tried getting into an aire by the beach in August.
For the rest of France, youre unlucky if you find another Brit if there are 20 vans on there.
As for Solar panels. Even when we stay on an acsi with free electric we dont bother most of the time. I cant see the point in getting out a lead (which i might forget to take out when leaving) in order to get free electric to replace my free electric. We have 120 watts of solar with 2 x 100 batteries. We have never gone below 80 per cent. I charge 2 phones, use the lappy an hour a day, no hairdryer allowed, maybe an hour of 12 volt tv, lights, charging the portable chargers, 2 x electric pushbikes, a vaporiser (which is incredibly important to keep charged) and the batteries are generally at 100 per cent by 0800 hrs in France on a reasonable day.
Whilst understanding that different people have different needs of a motorhome, I cant see a difference in the need to hook up if you have sufficient battery and a solar panel in the summer.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I am not doing this to start an argument but just for information, I have picked a random week, I know it won't suit everyone, but it's from the 12 of July, and every park I have tried had a vacancy, haven, woolacomb bay , as well as other independent sites.
Don't know where all the panic is coming from. :unsure: :Smile:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I am not doing this to start an argument but just for information, I have picked a random week, I know it won't suit everyone, but it's from the 12 of July, and every park I have tried had a vacancy, haven, woolacomb bay , as well as other independent sites.
Don't know where all the panic is coming from. :unsure: :Smile:
The campsite owners 🤫

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Haven even got 50% off in may
Screenshot_20210306-144730.png

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have a week booked off for last week in April to use up last year’s holidays, I’ve just stuck the dates in to CMC website and it came back with 89 sites available including the two weekends. We’ll leave it a few weeks yet to see what lockdown changes and weather forecasts are before booking.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We have a week booked off for last week in April to use up last year’s holidays, I’ve just stuck the dates in to CMC website and it came back with 89 sites available including the two weekends. We’ll leave it a few weeks yet to see what lockdown changes and weather forecasts are before booking.
:pray::pray::pray:Please, please, please don't pick Maragowan!:pray::pray::pray:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back