Tag Axle good and bad points please (3 Viewers)

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
That's the better design available from 2004 the earlier ones the shower was in the rear corner but had the toilet below and the walls were a sort of washable wallpaper which in my humble opinion never prevents dampness.
The one like you have with the concealed shower and plastic lined walls is more intended for use.
Ah ok, with you now. I know some of the bigger vans like the later Burstners had the shower separated out from the washroom, on opposite sides of the van. But I don't think Hobby went down that route.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
To get a big garage on the 700 series you need to have the bathroom on one side and a wardrobe opposite, ours is a low twin layout. The door leads into the washroom. Twin doors before the beds are his and hers full length wardrobes.

image.jpeg

Shower on the left

image.jpeg

Toilet on the right.

image.jpeg

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I think I may have bought the height question in, because strictly speaking classe 2 is under 3 metres and under 3.5 tonne. However the peage people only manage to measure the height so people with a 3.5 tonne mh but with a dome can get hassle getting charged for classe 3, whereas all of us who are a little bit over 3.5 tonne but under 3m tend to get away with it except for @funflair who has to go round LOL.
Exactly this is why I said height matters it seems more than weight . In the 13 years we have lived here only ever been charged class 2 even though over 3.5 ton but under 3 mètres . Wasn't going to start an argument though !!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
To get a big garage on the 700 series you need to have the bathroom on one side and a wardrobe opposite, ours is a low twin layout.
Yes, when I started out motorhoming I thought a large garage was essential for fulltiming and my first van (Burstner Elegance 820) had just that. But I spent a lot of time going out to the garage to get stuff in, and wasn't that keen on the high bed. So for me the Hobby 750 with a reasonable height bed and a good size under bed locker, combined with a full height 'larder' cupboard (in addition to a full height wardrobe) made for more practical and easy to access storage.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Exactly this is why I said height matters it seems more than weight . In the 13 years we have lived here only ever been charged class 2 even though over 3.5 ton but under 3 mètres . Wasn't going to start an argument though !!!
That's not to do with whether Aclass or coach built though that's due to a dome satellite pushing the van over 3 metres in height it would be the same regardless of whether the van was an A class or not

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
My Hobby Toskana 750 will be going on the market tomorrow - I'm just finishing working on the ad. :)

Having read your later post I'm not too sure about your bathroom requirements tho'. Mine's a 2012 and has a separate shower in the rear corner that you access by walking past the toilet but it's not a wet room. In other words the shower has a proper screen so that the rest of the washroom doesn't get wet when you use it.
That is the one with the better bathroom, it's the ones where the loo and shower share the same space I don't like. Let me know when your adverts ready and I'll have a look.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
My real issue with this martin ( apart from the vested interest) is that Motorhomes carry tourists and therefore should be encouraged, I would imagine that (infrastructure permitting) most towns would be quite keen to welcome the owner of an 18tonne 3 axle mh. I would also point out that mhs put a lot less wear and tear on the roads than HGV's

Yes the M1 classificaton does not distinguish between heavy and light mhs, but is it a big issue? see note above.

Which is reflected in the much higher road tax HGV s pay,,Don't know rates now but in 2000 i was paying £3500 a year for an artic,,BUSBY.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I have had tag vans for 8 years now only been stuck once but then again most folks were stuck even the rv,s
we like the space and a big lounge never over loaded and side wind is less of a problem.
Economy is not an issue as we only do about 5k miles a year at the end of the day it is personal preference we have not been abroad so can not comment about tolls ect

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Some sites in France particularly municipal have a blanket no twin axle rule aimed primarily at a certain type of caravan but catches tag/tandem axle Motorhomes as well.

Martin
I did not realise this included tandem axles as well, has anyone else had this problem.
Hopefully a revelent question for the OP in case he's thinking of going down that route.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
It sounds like another reason to avoid France, not like i needed another.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
It's a rare occurrence to get turned away but, unlike the uk, there's always another site nearby!

Ian

rrusty

Free Member
Dec 4, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
None sold sept 2019
Exp
I have had my tag for 7 years and got 46000 miles on the clock, on 2nd set of front tyres, got it for the 1500kg payload and uprated to 5500kg so I could get the scooter hanging of the back. Brilliant road handling and the only time I notice anything untoward is when buses overtake (lorries can not catch me)but it is minimal. Only been turned away once from a French site. I have full air front and back.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
· Less traction because of front wheel drive.

· More stable on the road.

· Larger turning circle.

· Bit more tyre wear.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back