Tag Axle good and bad points please (8 Viewers)

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
We have never been turned away from a campsite in France, always class two on the tolls, stable drive, good braking, 3 ltr engine sits at 70mph all day and returns 24/25 mpg. Plenty of space when parked up, good payload. Go for it you won't regret it. (y)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Well you should, and friends of ours charged as class 4.

Martin

Yes you re right. Its a bone of contention with the french, I have discussed it with camping caristes who insist that they will only pay 2 and don't care how long they block the lane to get two.

And if you think about it; its an over application of the regulations, you can take an 18 tonne truck on class 3 but because a tag has 3 axles it does make them class 4. IMO the toll people in all countries ( especially Austria) should by now have a classification for Motorhomes - M1 as far as most countries are concerned.

Jon

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Talking to a Hymer guy last year - he reckoned that the biggest problem with a tag is that it puts undue stress on the front suspension and that he recommended fitting air on the front only. But plenty of people have had them for years without problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Reduces what you can tow which may be of consequence if you want a toad. Increases payload but train weight remains the same. Poor grip but thats more due to front wheel drive.
The best configuration is rear wheel drive with four tyres on one axle, but there aren't many of those about as it's a more expensive chassis.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes you re right. Its a bone of contention with the french, I have discussed it with camping caristes who insist that they will only pay 2 and don't care how long they block the lane to get two.

And if you think about it; its an over application of the regulations, you can take an 18 tonne truck on class 3 but because a tag has 3 axles it does make them class 4. IMO the toll people in all countries ( especially Austria) should by now have a classification for Motorhomes - M1 as far as most countries are concerned.

Jon
Certainly when applied correctly the rules unfairly penalise tag/tandem axle motorhomes so I can see the argument for an M class but then you have sub 3.5t motorhomes and then you have 18t 3 axle truck based motorhomes so where do you set the toll. I guess the other issue is how does automated tolling recognise a motorhome as opposed to a white van.

Martin

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The pros have all been mentioned but there are some cons, on the Alko chassis the axle is supposed to be lifted off the ground to grease the torsion bar suspension.
Best to raise both axles on ramps/timbers to get under the rear (for our gas tank installation).
Usual MOT station can't fit it on the ramp (too long).

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
And Tamar Bridge ÂŁ6 cos tag axle. Big lorry two axle much heavier than me normal toll ?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Certainly when applied correctly the rules unfairly penalise tag/tandem axle motorhomes so I can see the argument for an M class but then you have sub 3.5t motorhomes and then you have 18t 3 axle truck based motorhomes so where do you set the toll. I guess the other issue is how does automated tolling recognise a motorhome as opposed to a white van.

Martin

My real issue with this martin ( apart from the vested interest) is that Motorhomes carry tourists and therefore should be encouraged, I would imagine that (infrastructure permitting) most towns would be quite keen to welcome the owner of an 18tonne 3 axle mh. I would also point out that mhs put a lot less wear and tear on the roads than HGV's

Yes the M1 classificaton does not distinguish between heavy and light mhs, but is it a big issue? see note above.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
The pros have all been mentioned but there are some cons, on the Alko chassis the axle is supposed to be lifted off the ground to grease the torsion bar suspension.
Best to raise both axles on ramps/timbers to get under the rear (for our gas tank installation).
Usual MOT station can't fit it on the ramp (too long).
We use HGV garage here in France . Is Iveco and they have a special Bay for camping cars

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
As a rule I avoid Tolls anyway. (my "road fund" is a big enough tax for them to fund roads properly anyway), But on the very few occasions I have used them I have always managed to get the lowest rate. I sat in one French toll booth for 20 min once, until they found a guy who could speak "proper" English, who reduced the toll!. (A "Gallic" shrug and "no comprehende" worked). the Humber Bridge Now only charges me ÂŁ1-50 for both Van and toad!. But the Greedy Barstewards on the Tamar wanted a second bite of the cherry. Conversely the Spanish charged my R-V as a "Camion" which actually reduced the Toll!!

I am never in that much of a hurry these days, that I cannot find a "non" toll route 90% of the time and the alleged "saving" in fuel has never been proven. That`s down to how you drive.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As I said not necessarily. It depends on your height so if you are an AClass then you will pay more
I dont wish to drag the OP off at a tangent so will leave that discussion for another day/thread.

Martin

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Great space and stability, load carrying , and ride comfort. At 8.1m we have only been refused once at a site , IMO if we cant get on the site pitches are too small and close. For tolls .. i dont do france because i hate the french so dont do tolls there but i have been told if you tell them you are a camping car you dint get charged 3 axle truck prices... you need to confirm. Obvously it will be FWD .. and rubbish on wet grass and the like, but i wouldnt swap that for RWD.
Stabilty at speed with zero wallow is also good.. and as we are usually in a hurry thats a big plus. I think in Germany you are limited on speed over 2 axles, but i dont worry on Motorway, and never known anyone be stopped or ticketed.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I dont wish to drag the OP off at a tangent so will leave that discussion for another day/thread.

Martin
Don't see why an a class would be any higher I viewed the same van as mine on a coach built and every dimension was the same height width length the only difference was the width at the cab section but both 306 height

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Don't see why an a class would be any higher I viewed the same van as mine on a coach built and every dimension was the same height width length the only difference was the width at the cab section but both 306 height
If you are referring to the height comment re tolls I think that was a red herring thrown in to confuse you/us as far as I know A class vans are no higher than coachbuilt model for model, yes some A class on RWD chassis are higher.

Martin

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

I think I may have bought the height question in, because strictly speaking classe 2 is under 3 metres and under 3.5 tonne. However the peage people only manage to measure the height so people with a 3.5 tonne mh but with a dome can get hassle getting charged for classe 3, whereas all of us who are a little bit over 3.5 tonne but under 3m tend to get away with it except for @funflair who has to go round LOL.

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
I have been watching this thread hoping to help me as I have also been thinking about going bigger but this seems to gave turned into a discussion about French toll roads.

Can we get it back to, driving, owning, parking, storage, wife willing to drive, finding garage who can service such a large vehicle...

Tyre wear, driving around Devon/Cornwall, being stuck in fields, big garage = high bed. French Bed = crap garage space...

Getting near Service points, street parking when traveling about, getting in and out of non-multi storey car parks, wind noise, wasted space, great additional space, depreciation, appreciation, anything but toll roads and who has the balls to hold up a hundred car queue to get the cheaper rate....

Sorry for semi-rant but French toll roads are a minor concern to me (and hopefully OP).

Just don't want to regret buying a "big one"....

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Over the years I've had 2 axle vans and previously 2 tag axle vans a 2003 burstner argos 747 and a 1996 euromobil

When I was looking for a new van there it had to be a tag axle, as others have already said the stability and extra payload are the big bonuses
Everything else you mention varies from van to van tag axle or not

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Over the years I've had 2 axle vans and previously 2 tag axle vans a 2003 burstner argos 747 and a 1996 euromobil

When I was looking for a new van there it had to be a tag axle, as others have already said the stability and extra payload are the big bonuses
Everything else you mention varies from van to van tag axle or not

Looking at 2003 to 2006 Argos 747 so your input would be greatly appreciated.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
When looking for my new van a few weeks ago an argos was going to be my first choice again as I loved the one I had last time, it's a very well built van, I'm not so keen on the new model argos but up to 2006 I'd say was a good choice

My only gripe was the front lounge not having much space to get comfy the one I had it was a dinette arrangement on one side and a sofa facing it but with no sides so difficult to slouch around.
However I viewed a 748 in Lincoln leisure on a 56 reg which had a lot shaped sofa on one side and the straight sofa on the other which I think would be better, think it's still for sale too.
Other than that I thought it was a great van loads of storage huge garage full underfloor storage, big beds, good size shower etc and plenty power

There's a few good ones for sale just now

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Wow lots of comments, thanks.

We've looked at so many vans in the past week or so and narrowed the search thankfully. We definitely don't want a dinette layout as find the 2 sofas better suited to us and a fixed bed is a must. We don't tow a toad yet but maybe in the future but we do have a couple of bikes that either need to go on a bike rack or in a garage if space.

We looked at a burstner yesterday that is a contender and a couple of autotrail chieftain 4 berths and viewing a couple of frankias in the next day or so (1 tag axle, 1 not). Also like the Hobby 750's but not found one to look at yet so on a mission.

The RV is sold but just putting it through a full service and 12 month mot and having a couple of scratches sorted in the body shop. The buyer is getting a great vehicle and it served us well but time to move on and hopefully find a new one ASAP.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Wow lots of comments, thanks.

We've looked at so many vans in the past week or so and narrowed the search thankfully. We definitely don't want a dinette layout as find the 2 sofas better suited to us and a fixed bed is a must. We don't tow a toad yet but maybe in the future but we do have a couple of bikes that either need to go on a bike rack or in a garage if space.

We looked at a burstner yesterday that is a contender and a couple of autotrail chieftain 4 berths and viewing a couple of frankias in the next day or so (1 tag axle, 1 not). Also like the Hobby 750's but not found one to look at yet so on a mission.

The RV is sold but just putting it through a full service and 12 month mot and having a couple of scratches sorted in the body shop. The buyer is getting a great vehicle and it served us well but time to move on and hopefully find a new one ASAP.
Seems like your viewing the same selection I did, I considered the autotrail chieftain I viewed an 06 reg with the rear garage, have to say it was a nice van had everything I was looking for just not as much storage and didn't seem as capable of winter usage, the hobby 750 was the same I loved the fixed bed layout but didn't like the toilet in the shower on the model I viewed, I think the slightly newer ones this had changed.
So it became a choice between burstner and the frankia and the frankia ticked every box I had, but it's like everything it comes down to your individual requirements

I wanted large garage, comfortable front lounge, double floored, wet heating system, separate shower and wc.

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Seems like your viewing the same selection I did, I considered the autotrail chieftain I viewed an 06 reg with the rear garage, have to say it was a nice van had everything I was looking for just not as much storage and didn't seem as capable of winter usage, the hobby 750 was the same I loved the fixed bed layout but didn't like the toilet in the shower on the model I viewed, I think the slightly newer ones this had changed.
So it became a choice between burstner and the frankia and the frankia ticked every box I had, but it's like everything it comes down to your individual requirements

I wanted large garage, comfortable front lounge, double floored, wet heating system, separate shower and wc.

Yes seems like we have the tick list and I'm not keen on the loo/shower combo either. Some of the newer hobby toskana have it split which is much better. We also would prefer winterised as we ski and would like to take the bus so we go for longer as we usually fly at the moment.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Yes seems like we have the tick list and I'm not keen on the loo/shower combo either. Some of the newer hobby toskana have it split which is much better. We also would prefer winterised as we ski and would like to take the bus so we go for longer as we usually fly at the moment.
We love our 700 with the bathroom right across the back, much better than a wet room that needs drying after every shower.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Also like the Hobby 750's but not found one to look at yet so on a mission.
My Hobby Toskana 750 will be going on the market tomorrow - I'm just finishing working on the ad. :)

Having read your later post I'm not too sure about your bathroom requirements tho'. Mine's a 2012 and has a separate shower in the rear corner that you access by walking past the toilet but it's not a wet room. In other words the shower has a proper screen so that the rest of the washroom doesn't get wet when you use it.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
My Hobby Toskana 750 will be going on the market tomorrow - I'm just finishing working on the ad. :)

Having read your later post I'm not too sure about your bathroom requirements tho'. Mine's a 2012 and has a separate shower in the rear corner that you access by walking past the toilet but it's not a wet room. In other words the shower has a proper screen so that the rest of the washroom doesn't get wet when you use it.
That's the better design available from 2004 the earlier ones the shower was in the rear corner but had the toilet below and the walls were a sort of washable wallpaper which in my humble opinion never prevents dampness.
The one like you have with the concealed shower and plastic lined walls is more intended for use.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back