Tag Axle good and bad points please (1 Viewer)

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We're looking at new to us Motorhomes and have seen a few with the right layout for us, some of which are tag axles. So would like to ask for opinions on the good and bad points as never had one. We do go skiing so also how do they handle in snowy conditions too please?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Bad points... Not got one but more tyres to replace...Typical Scottish thinking:LOL:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
We love ours .Bad points well cant think of any.Large payload,stable on the road ,lots of interior space ,cant help about the snowy conditions we try and avoid those :LOL:.tows very well with the 3ltr engine,very smooth.Go for it and enjoy.
Brian & Jo

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
+'ve - large payload
+'ve - really good handling on the Alko chassis

-'ve - some French campsites won't let you on (personal experience from two different sites), but the majority do.

Ian

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You won't be on the hard standing with the RV's at Chester + FWD:LOL:

Higher toll charges in France.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
With the large payload and roof space, it will allow you to fit plenty of solar and batteries to be completely independent for power.
We also have been turned down at a couple of French sites (mainly municipal)
Cheers
Ed

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
We also have been turned down at a couple of French sites (mainly municipal)
Cheers
Ed

I'm sure you have Ed but that was because you're Welsh wasn't it?

Joking apart, I read on here many years ago about the dificulty getting the handbrake to work and the difficulty using levelling wedges.

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Had one for 9years,never got turned away on continent. Only some sites in UK.when we rang to book.Very stable,good payload. Towed well with 3ltl engine

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
+'ve - large payload

-'ve - some French campsites won't let you on (personal experience from two different sites), but the majority do.

Ian

Thought it might be a problem on some sites due to the length as they are longer than our RV as we're only 8m

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Dont know about abroad cos its something that has never interested us,but in this country never had a problem with sites even when we had a 37ft RV(y)
but the tag axles certainly no problem at all.(y) Enjoy.
Brian & Jo

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Never had problems on sites or parking (even Pitlochery car park) we love the space and if you enter the tolls in France at a direct angle the camera can't tell the size I've never paid the high rate in five years If you are confident in driving a van over 8 mtr then go for it

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Don't have one but only problem I've come across is poor ability to pull away on slippery or loose surface uphill with front wheel drive.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
+'ve - large payload

Ian

Thought it might be a problem on some sites due to the length as they are longer than our RV as we're only 8m

No, not a length issue (Oo, Err misses!), definitely a tag axle issue.

Explanations for refusal were very clear and we could also see a large RV on one of the sites.

The first time was a site somewhere just south of Carcasonne and the second was at Amboise. We tried the Amboise site a couple of years after the first refusal but got the same answer!

Ian

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Some sites in France particularly municipal have a blanket no twin axle rule aimed primarily at a certain type of caravan but catches tag/tandem axle Motorhomes as well.

Martin

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
@bigtwin don't know why tag axle would be an issue but a couple of site refusals wouldn't worry me we'd just give our business elsewhere.

Allegedly it's because they can't ban gypsies (who tend to have tag axle caravans) but they can ban tag axles!

Some say that they can damage grass?

It's a sufficiently rare occurrence that it wouldn't influence our decision to have a tag axle. As you say, plenty others to give your business to.

Ian

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
My first MH was a tag axle and I'd heard that many French sites wouldn't let us on, as they tended to churn the grass pitches up.

In three years of ownership, I never got turned away from a French site and I never churned any grass up, on any site.

A very stable and capable drive (y)

Milk Tray Man

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2016
Gillingham, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Frankia I680BD
Exp
Since 2014
Our first was also a Tag on a Renault Master/Alko combo...lovely driving motorhome (and she was quick too:D:D) with good space inside and loads of storage for those longer trips. She was 8.3m and never had an issue getting on sites here or over the water. Only swapped her as we wanted a newer van and one that was tad shorter (7m) for easier manoeuvring/parking in towns etc when out visiting.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Had a swift kintiki 669. Great van travelled far and wide in Europe as far as the Artic circle and down to Portugal for Winter. No problems on the Airs never refused on a campsite although had to on many occasions give up on a few dud to the sizes of pitches.
Deciding on buying a tag is down to you. Ask yourself. Do we need such a vehicle? Ours was 8.7m 9.3 with the bike rack so it can be a length issue!!!!

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
When we changed from a two axle 4,250 kg van to a tag axle 5,500 kg of the same make, engine and gearbox, the first thing I noticed was the stability on the road and apparently more efficient braking.

The toll roads in France will treat you as a class 4, which is about twice the price of a class 2, which is two axle under 3.5 tonnes. I don't know about @sally47 's comment about approach angle to the tolls - I thought that sensors counted the axles as they passed. However, pressing the 'help' button and explaining you're a camping car usually gets you reclassified as a class 3 or 2.

We've never been turned away from a site due to having three axles (but we've only had this van for two and a bit years).

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
When we changed from a two axle 4,250 kg van to a tag axle 5,500 kg of the same make, engine and gearbox, the first thing I noticed was the stability on the road and apparently more efficient braking.

The toll roads in France will treat you as a class 4, which is about twice the price of a class 2, which is two axle under 3.5 tonnes. I don't know about @sally47 's comment about approach angle to the tolls - I thought that sensors counted the axles as they passed. However, pressing the 'help' button and explaining you're a camping car usually gets you reclassified as a class 3 or 2.

We've never been turned away from a site due to having three axles (but we've only had this van for two and a bit years).
We r a tag axle and have always been class 2 . Deciding issue is height not axles

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
We have had our tag axle a couple of years and not had any problems.Its no worse than any other FWD motorhome on wet grass.When we bought the motorhome it had a sat dome fitted and we always got charged class 4 at French tolls,so we were always pressing the button at tolls and saying `un campingcar sil vu pla`,and they always dropped us down to class 2.But since the Dish has been fitted its now class 2 everytime.So in our experience the tag doesnt make a difference.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back