Strange goings on at CandMC site (2 Viewers)

Dec 10, 2018
Exmouth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
No pegs here although there were white lines marking the parking bays in the Caceres aire, Spain last autumn. Even I considered this a bit tight, we could hear our neighbours breathing in the night and we had to chase after them in the morning as they left for a walk as we would not have been able to reverse out even with mirrors folded in. There was a tree on the other side.
P1001923.JPG

Apr 18, 2021
Lincolnshire Wolds AONB, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Since 2008
No pegs here although there were white lines marking the parking bays in the Caceres aire, Spain last autumn. Even I considered this a bit tight, we could hear our neighbours breathing in the night and we had to chase after them in the morning as they left for a walk as we would not have been able to reverse out even with mirrors folded in.
For that reason, it is always good practice to reverse in to a dead-end slot/parking space etc. Easier to drive away, and perhaps more importantly, safer to drive out than reverse.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
No pegs here although there were white lines marking the parking bays in the Caceres aire, Spain last autumn. Even I considered this a bit tight, we could hear our neighbours breathing in the night and we had to chase after them in the morning as they left for a walk as we would not have been able to reverse out even with mirrors folded in. There was a tree on the other side.
The aire at Caceres has always been chock a block when we’ve tried using it so always use camping Caceres now over by the footy stadium, nice site with your own shower and toilet.😊

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
2038D4E0-88FE-4867-AAC8-E3E14C6994A2.jpg

This is the Aire at Grau, Spain. It was very busy the day we were there but it didn't stop some taking up two spaces.

It's a nice Aire, overlooking the sea. It's always been free but I understand there is now a charge. I don't know how much it is.

Apr 8, 2018
East Riding of Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2017
We were told, last week, to park whichever way round suited. We use the C&MHC sites and the CLs, never had a problem. The wardens on the site last week were really lovely.
We have been told that several times as well - we have our opening door on the off-side, so I don’t know if they made the offer on consideration of that?

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
View attachment 489105
This is the Aire at Grau, Spain. It was very busy the day we were there but it didn't stop some taking up two spaces.

It's a nice Aire, overlooking the sea. It's always been free but I understand there is now a charge. I don't know how much it is.
So here we have an aire where the Vans are in regimented rows, packed in close together with hardly any space between them...and yet, how many on this forum are always saying that they won't use campsites for the exact same reasons??? :unsure:

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
So here we have an aire where the Vans are in regimented rows, packed in close together with hardly any space between them...and yet, how many on this forum are always saying that they won't use campsites for the exact same reasons??? :unsure:
??? Price is probably the difference. The Aire at Grau was free, as many are, versus a C&MHC site for upwards of £30 a night.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I do not recall ever being to a site on the continent where we were told which way to park . Other than, within the pitch.
Oh it can get a bit strict, years ago we arrived at one campsite in Southern Germany Tents MoHo's and Caravans all perfectly lined up and parked the Band was playing which stopped abruptly at 8pm everything quietened down all very strict and orderly, on another site we could only park (our previous UK T5 Campervan) with the sliding door the same side as all the continental builds and exactly where we were told to park, again everything was perfectly aligned. makes most UK sites look shabby ;)

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Hi.
Plymouth Sound site CAMC. The pegs there are positioned so that.. " Most " Pitches get a view out over the sound, it is one of the draws of that site. As mentioned before,try to even up wear in a given space,last but not least. " My battery is flat "...." NOT a problem,i will get my Car/4x4,even...... Motor Home ( Surprising how many Wardens ? have mo/ho's... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes::unsure::unsure: (( P erhaps... THATS the problem with some wardens.They are motor home/PVC/Camper van/A-B-C-D Class owners,sorry if i missed your model out....MMmm.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:))).All our bottoms point towards the floor.
" Gizza Job ? " Warden in the summer,getting a wage of sorts,meeting people,enjoying cups of tea an odd drink on your rounds of a night,then OFF to southern Portugal/Spain for the winter.
You may have guessed,WE did a stint at wardening,when we decided to drop out of the "We never stop " haulage game, was not for me,so went back. It had storage, touring pitches,annual pitches ( Vans had to be off a fortnight a year) not a problem, book them out,get the tractor,tow them off and book them onto a touring pitch for a fortnight. All joking aside,of a weekend in the summer,we were often invited to a BBQ at one of the annual peoples unit,a chap " In the know :cool:" would drop off a tray of Burger buns of a friday,the ladies would arrive with all sorts of treats/HOME MADE CAKES! and the blokes brought beers and wine.Sorted.
What do i remember most ? There was a lady Nurse...on an annual pitch.Before breakfast, i would go and check both sets of toilets and the showers before going back to my " Weety Bangs " .... She-Her the LADY nurse would be...... FRYING Bacon and EGGS..... NOW you know why wardens get UP TIGHT !!! Many is the laugh she and i had of a morning..... " YER BARRED !!!!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:(y)(y)(y)(y)(y).
Tea Bag
Staying there as we speak. V helpful guy helped us identify a pitch where the fierce easterly wind wouldn't blow us down the hill into the Plymouth sound. Was at Steamer Quay and Start Bay previous to that and everyone v laid back and welcoming. Might have been beginners luck, or maybe Devon is just more chilled than Yorkshire. And we are LHD and have to check out the direction of everyone else's hab doors before we park..

AvalonAdventur

Free Member
Jun 9, 2020
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F A Class
Exp
We’re seriously thinking of trying a few CL sites next year
We use CLs all the time. In the last three weeks one in Bridgwater at £15 a night with ehu and wifi plus water and waste, showers and toilets, one in Sutton Bingham, £5 a night water and waste and now a week near Weymouth at £15 a night with ehu and wifi plus water and waste. Funnily enough, the first two we were the only people who were there and this one there are three long sayers on separate pitches and just us on CL section.

Apr 18, 2021
Lincolnshire Wolds AONB, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Since 2008
Oh it can get a bit strict, years ago we arrived at one campsite in Southern Germany Tents MoHo's and Caravans all perfectly lined up and parked the Band was playing which stopped abruptly at 8pm everything quietened down all very strict and orderly, on another site we could only park (our previous UK T5 Campervan) with the sliding door the same side as all the continental builds and exactly where we were told to park, again everything was perfectly aligned. makes most UK sites look shabby
I trust your mirror-shine Jackboots passed muster in the 6am "Raus!" inspection? :ROFLMAO:

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
or the actual figure of less than £16 a night. (y) :Smile:
We must be doing something wrong. It always costs us more than that. This is a booking we have. This works out at just over £30 a night.

Pitch fees for 7 night(s) @ £11.50 per night£80.50
2 adult for 7 night(s) @ £10.10 per adult per night£141.40
TOTAL£221.90

Last edited:
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Yes but these are the people who are too tight to pay.There can be no other reason

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
I am a member of the CMC but find the rules stifling, no problem with separation (I believe it is a legal requirement) but hate the pettiness of some wardens. My MoHo is of a continental design and the hab door is on the "wrong" side, totally confuses wardens who prefer the regimented look of the caravans/MoHos facing in the "right" direction. Only use CLs unless no other option.

I also find the members are often curtain twitchers looking to make any adverse comment if you have kids and a dog. Just hate the snobbishness of many of the members.

Rant done.......

Nov 6, 2019
Lancaster and Morecambe area
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
Exp
Since 2020
We must be doing something wrong. It always costs us more than that. This is a booking we have. This works out at just over £30 a night.

TOTAL£221.90

It depends where and when you go. Here's our midweek booking that's coming up. And that's before the VAT reduction, so it should work out at less than £14 per night.

Pitch fees for 2 night(s) @ £6.00 per night£12.00
2 adult for 2 night(s) @ £5.20 per adult per night£20.80
TOTAL£32.80

But last week we paid nearly £26 a night at another site

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
??? Price is probably the difference. The Aire at Grau was free, as many are, versus a C&MHC site for upwards of £30 a night.
Bit of a generalisation as much of the time most club sites are around or a little over £20 and only reach around the £30 mark at peak times and in coastal areas.
In addition to this CLs are as little as £12 throughout the year and you get an individual pitch with stacks of space as opposed to those packed in on free aires as in posts #121 and #125 sheer luxury ;)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

TOTAL£221.90
From their website.
+++++
Enjoy all-inclusive fees on selected sites

11 of our sites are offering you astounding value. Enjoy an all-inclusive price per night (for two adults, up to four children and a standard pitch) – regardless of the time of year! Our Tour for Less sites start from just £16 throughout 2021 and £17 in 2022.

and VAT reduction still to come off.
+++++

I am a member of the CMC but find the rules stifling, no problem with separation (I believe it is a legal requirement) but hate the pettiness of some wardens. My MoHo is of a continental design and the hab door is on the "wrong" side, totally confuses wardens who prefer the regimented look of the caravans/MoHos facing in the "right" direction. Only use CLs unless no other option.

I also find the members are often curtain twitchers looking to make any adverse comment if you have kids and a dog. Just hate the snobbishness of many of the members.

Rant done.......

With one possible exclusion every warden we've had dealings with have been excellent. (y)
Never seen a warden yet confused with hab door being on the wrong side as ours can be on either side dependent upon which way we park up.(y) We've even had our caravan with the door "on the wrong side" when we've had it hitch to the pin end of the pitch.(y)
I've only ever witnessed one member being "snobbish" and that was a motorhomer having a pop at a caravanner about the latter parking their car on the wrong side of their caravan. They moved when they were made aware of it.

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Our experiences must be different Gellyneck and I am very glad yours have been so positive. Unfortunately mine have been different.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I booked on to a CMC site yesterday and was given a list of spare pitches to choose from by the warden. . Bloke in the queue behind said we couldnt have Pitch 20 as they had already looked round the site and picked that one. I was tempted.......

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Hawes camc site office

assistant warden, “how long is your motorhome as it’s too long?”

me, “the same length it was 5 weeks ago when you put me on that pitch over there mate”

xxxx off 😉

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I booked on to a CMC site yesterday and was given a list of spare pitches to choose from by the warden. . Bloke in the queue behind said we couldnt have Pitch 20 as they had already looked round the site and picked that one. I was tempted.......

The normal drill is to pitch up then tell reception your pitch number. If pitch 20 really had been baggsied it would be occupied.

That bloke might have been fibbing to stop you getting onto his favourite pitch before him.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
The normal drill is to pitch up then tell reception your pitch number. If pitch 20 really had been baggsied it would be occupied.

That bloke might have been fibbing to stop you getting onto his favourite pitch before him.
I think they arrived early & had a walk round to choose where they wanted to be. Didnt really worry me to be honest, as there were plenty of other pitches available. If it had been a choice between pitch 20 and pitch 1 next to the barrier, it may have been a different tale.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Bit of a generalisation as much of the time most club sites are around or a little over £20 and only reach around the £30 mark at peak times and in coastal areas.
In addition to this CLs are as little as £12 throughout the year and you get an individual pitch with stacks of space as opposed to those packed in on free aires as in posts #121 and #125 sheer luxury ;)
Yes, we use the CLs, our favourite is £12.50 a night and it's excellent.

Dec 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Researching which type.
Exp
Future newbie from caravanning for 44 years
Don’t know if I should say really , but it’s on the east coast north of Bridlington and south of Scarborough
Name and shame the site please, why not.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Not wrong ... when you reverse you would have your back to the peg thus you would be parking to the left (your left) of the peg ...
Talk about splitting hairs. Most peaple look at a pitch from the front so you would always think must go to the right of that peg wether we go in front ways or backwards. :doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back