Strange goings on at CandMC site (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Apache

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Well if it’s not Bridlington‘s club site, which is North of Bridlington itself, it‘s got to be either Cayton Village or West Ayton????
It’s Bridlington. Stayed here many times before and no problems, still no problem really just a bit strange . Maybe it would sit better if he had just stuck his head round the door and said don’t panic you’re ok where you are or something, which is what I would have done

OP
OP
Apache

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Has anyone who posted negative comments about the pegs actually thought they are there for a reason. A fire break distance to stop your motorhome going up in flames if the one next to you does. Or you could park on an aire and have a french motorhome park so close you could pass him a cup of tea through the window and maybe a fire extinguisher.
Yes , I know the reason for the pegs and applaud the club for trying to keep everyone safe. I also know that there are rules on club sites and that’s ok too.
The bit that got me was the ‘Scarborough Warning ‘ we got on arrival and then the action of moving the pitch markers AFTER we had got set up .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
CAMC are fine, sometimes its about knowing the rules and not getting offended when its pointed out that they would like you to do X or Y

I recently stayed at one CAMC site, as we did not wish to shop/pub/restaurant/cafe we needed to take two weeks food so I purchased a 38 litre Dometic box freezer. I did not want it in the MoHo when parked up so placed it under the awning which was fine, but it seems there is a by law...again to protect the public

I used a Power splitter, it has a CE mark seems totally legal in terms of manufactured quality, however CAMC warden said one cable to one point, it could potentially overload the outlet (I don't think so). and they had not tested the splitter and could not garuntee its quality even with a CE mark, I explained the freezer had two weeks of food, asked if there was a second out let as I would happliy plug in to (a second one did not exist and if it did it would be £8 per night). I was then told I could use a cable from the MoHo to power the freezer (so much for overloading the power supply)

I think as I was polite and non confrontational the warden 'let' me keep the splitter in, I have checked the CAMC web site and can find no obvious reg saying a splitter cannot be used, I guess I need to email and ask.

OP
OP
Apache

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
CAMC are fine, sometimes its about knowing the rules and not getting offended when its pointed out that they would like you to do X or Y

I recently stayed at one CAMC site, as we did not wish to shop/pub/restaurant/cafe we needed to take two weeks food so I purchased a 38 litre Dometic box freezer. I did not want it in the MoHo when parked up so placed it under the awning which was fine, but it seems there is a by law...again to protect the public

I used a Power splitter, it has a CE mark seems totally legal in terms of manufactured quality, however CAMC warden said one cable to one point, it could potentially overload the outlet (I don't think so). and they had not tested the splitter and could not garuntee its quality even with a CE mark, I explained the freezer had two weeks of food, asked if there was a second out let as I would happliy plug in to (a second one did not exist and if it did it would be £8 per night). I was then told I could use a cable from the MoHo to power the freezer (so much for overloading the power supply)

I think as I was polite and non confrontational the warden 'let' me keep the splitter in, I have checked the CAMC web site and can find no obvious reg saying a splitter cannot be used, I guess I need to email and ask.
Sounds like a classic example of a uniform giving a person a bit of power ( excuse the pun ) even though they don’t know what they are talking about

OP
OP
Apache

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
I did wonder if , due to the number of people who have joined the motorhome fraternity and may not be familiar with the etiquette of club sites , that this particular site might have had the odd situation where people are not parking in accordance with the accepted practices and that may have led to the warden ‘clamping down ‘ a bit.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Don’t know if I should say really , but it’s on the east coast north of Bridlington and south of Scarborough
You do know that Brid; people are seriously In-brid!.:LOL: (Get`s me into all sorts of trouble, and abuse, from Friends and relatives who live there!.):rofl:

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
You do know that Brid; people are seriously In-brid!.:LOL: (Get`s me into all sorts of trouble, and abuse, from Friends and relatives who live there!.):rofl:
Then they must be incomers as East Yorkshire people will say it as they see it but are equally as friendly as they come. Perhaps a lot have retired from Hull ( east side)! Joking!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Has anyone who posted negative comments about the pegs actually thought they are there for a reason. A fire break distance to stop your motorhome going up in flames if the one next to you does. Or you could park on an aire and have a french motorhome park so close you could pass him a cup of tea through the window and maybe a fire extinguisher.
Having experienced the wrath of a warden for being less than 7" ( I measured it !!! ) out of place I would like to know what magic is involved that protects people 7" further away from a potential conflagration ? :)

( We had been directed in to the pitch by an assistant warden and had all the kit out by the time we was told to move......... This was the C & MC site formally known ( I believe ) as Sheepcot Valley in Brighton )

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Never seen them move pegs on an occupied pitch, if it was totally in the wrong position I could understand if they asked someone to move. It could have been knocked out by the previous members and put back incorrectly.

All the hate posted on here in the comments about CAMC always makes me laugh. I don’t see the problem, park on the peg forwards or backwards in motorhomes and get on with your stay. I have always done what I wanted, when I wanted and never had an issue.

If something is said or done to you by a warden that you don’t agree with or are not happy with then stand up for yourselves. You are the customer and they are there as staff, no different to a hotel.

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
We stayed at their site in cheddar a few years ago, we arrived just as the people behind and one pitch to the right were packing......all the time 'their' hook up cable was coiled next to the post at the rear of their caravan
After we had set up we noticed they were gone but the cable was still there so my partner handed it in at reception and received an unthankful attitude which she thought was odd but just ignored
As the day went on all 4 Van's that were on the row behind us left the site and the warden came out and moved all the pegs on that row and left the aforementioned cable on the peg which was now directly behind us
Apparently he had put it out earlier for a regular who was yet to arrive even though he knew he was going to move the pegs about anyway 🤷‍♂️
Never had a problem on any other site

Was it on a cliff above a nice beach? I think it was Bednall Bay But not sure? I’m wondering if it was the staff member I encountered a couple of years ago. Even his response to hello was appalling. I hate lousy Customer Service! If he doesn’t like people he should find another job in a dark basement somewhere?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Then they must be incomers as East Yorkshire people will say it as they see it but are equally as friendly as they come. Perhaps a lot have retired from Hull ( east side)! Joking!
To paraphrase Fawlty Towers, Shhh! don`t talk about the "Wessys" AKA "Twirleys" or "Comfits". Anyway the "Black and White" side is best!. Even if SWMBO comes from the Red and White side!. Interesting times on Derby day!.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
I wonder if they move the pegs regularly, as some form of wear control - stops the grass getting worn down and killed off by people always parking in the same spot ....? Given the variety of van sizes, seems unlikely but ......

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Was it on a cliff above a nice beach? I think it was Bednall Bay But not sure? I’m wondering if it was the staff member I encountered a couple of years ago. Even his response to hello was appalling. I hate lousy Customer Service! If he doesn’t like people he should find another job in a dark basement somewhere?

In cheddar itself

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I wonder if they move the pegs regularly, as some form of wear control - stops the grass getting worn down and killed off by people always parking in the same spot ....? Given the variety of van sizes, seems unlikely but ......
Nahhh!. Just gives the Wardens something to do, beside cut grass and clean bog`s.(y):giggle:

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
We stayed on a site where our pitch was on its own - nothing either side. We asked the asst warden if we could reverse on and put our awning on the peg side (continental hab door) by moving the van to the other side of the pitch. He said fine so we started to erect the awning and another camper came over to warn us that the warden was a bit of a tyrant and not to pitch that way. We explained that the asst warden had given us permission but he said despite that he had been moved three times in the last ten days.

We finally got the warden down who was fine about it all as we were not a fire risk to anyone. I don't think our camper friend was happy - especially when the warden went over to him and explained that he ran the site and that there were a few pitches that the peg rule need no be enforced if the setup required.

It's just about obeying the rules and asking politely for any variation and not getting annoyed if denied.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Plymouth Sound site CAMC. The pegs there are positioned so that.. " Most " Pitches get a view out over the sound, it is one of the draws of that site. As mentioned before,try to even up wear in a given space,last but not least. " My battery is flat "...." NOT a problem,i will get my Car/4x4,even...... Motor Home ( Surprising how many Wardens ? have mo/ho's... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes::unsure::unsure: (( P erhaps... THATS the problem with some wardens.They are motor home/PVC/Camper van/A-B-C-D Class owners,sorry if i missed your model out....MMmm.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:))).All our bottoms point towards the floor.
" Gizza Job ? " Warden in the summer,getting a wage of sorts,meeting people,enjoying cups of tea an odd drink on your rounds of a night,then OFF to southern Portugal/Spain for the winter.
You may have guessed,WE did a stint at wardening,when we decided to drop out of the "We never stop " haulage game, was not for me,so went back. It had storage, touring pitches,annual pitches ( Vans had to be off a fortnight a year) not a problem, book them out,get the tractor,tow them off and book them onto a touring pitch for a fortnight. All joking aside,of a weekend in the summer,we were often invited to a BBQ at one of the annual peoples unit,a chap " In the know :cool:" would drop off a tray of Burger buns of a friday,the ladies would arrive with all sorts of treats/HOME MADE CAKES! and the blokes brought beers and wine.Sorted.
What do i remember most ? There was a lady Nurse...on an annual pitch.Before breakfast, i would go and check both sets of toilets and the showers before going back to my " Weety Bangs " .... She-Her the LADY nurse would be...... FRYING Bacon and EGGS..... NOW you know why wardens get UP TIGHT !!! Many is the laugh she and i had of a morning..... " YER BARRED !!!!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:(y)(y)(y)(y)(y).
Tea Bag

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Rules, rules, rules, wardens, wardens, wardens, pay, pay, pay and for what? To pay through the nose for a regimented housing estate masquerading as a camp site!

All we need is a decent place to park over night preferably NOT in a regimented camp site.

Let's pray for Covid-19 to be beaten then we can all go into Europe again where we can have a relaxed holiday in our motor homes without all this greedy British attitude.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Rules, rules, rules, wardens, wardens, wardens, pay, pay, pay and for what? To pay through the nose for a regimented housing estate masquerading as a camp site!

All we need is a decent place to park over night preferably NOT in a regimented camp site.

Let's pray for Covid-19 to be beaten then we can all go into Europe again where we can have a relaxed holiday in our motor homes without all this greedy British attitude.
The ports are open. (y)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
For anyone wondering if the 6 metre rule is a good idea this was at the C&MC site at Old Hartley last month. Note the scorching on the grass.
6E9C22D1-E7AA-4F3A-B1E7-7F8711B172F4.jpeg

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Never seen them move pegs on an occupied pitch, if it was totally in the wrong position I could understand if they asked someone to move. It could have been knocked out by the previous members and put back incorrectly.
I've spoken with a few wardens on C&MC sites and the reason they are now "permanently marking" the peg position is because members were moving them to suit themselves!:whistle2:

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
And the reason this is so important is they pack the pitches at the maximum density to generate the greatest income!
I would be very interested to actually learn what the incidence of fire damage to motorhomes actually is from parked activity. Does the spacing chosen actually stop damage to anything on the next pitch, was it based on science or yet another guessed parameter.
Is this concern over a fire break actually based on true evidence, a few isolated incidents or yet another “hangover” from days past like uk vans isolating 12v hab systems when engine starts.
I suspect it’s really not a significant enough issue that statistically it appears on insurers radar, if it did they would be the first to attempt to limit losses with parking distance requirements.
And then next door puts a car and a tent/ massive awning between, so you can just sidle past. Not a fire hazard?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back