Strange goings on at CandMC site (4 Viewers)

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Certainly try CLs.

Many are up to the standard of large sites......EHU, toilet etc.

Others are more “back to nature”.

We use them frequently and the only problem we find regularly is that many are grass pitches only, which precludes use in winter when the ground is soft.
We rarely stay on a C&MC site choosing to use a CL instead. Never been let down yet in 45 years.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Just out of interest, what normally happens about units that have their doors on the right hand side, continental style. And what about the modern style caravan with rear doors where the awning fits on the back.. ?
🤔??

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Just out of interest, what normally happens about units that have their doors on the right hand side, continental style. And what about the modern style caravan with rear doors where the awning fits on the back.. ?
🤔??
We were told, last week, to park whichever way round suited. We use the C&MHC sites and the CLs, never had a problem. The wardens on the site last week were really lovely.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Just stayed at cmc club Fairlight Wood, lovely bunch of wardens. We are happy to stay at cl’s or private sites or park4 night or anywhere and they are all so different.
The Fairlight site has a good covid system in place at the toilet blocks. Wrist bands are outside the block in a tub of ‘Milton’, you take a band from the tub and hang it on a hook on a board outside while u use the block , then drop it in the Milton tub when u leave , showing how many people (up to 3)are in there.
A bloke came in the block while I was in there, huffing and complaining about ‘stupid system’ , he’d taken the band from the tub , then put it on his wrist, used bog and then put it back in the tub...
What the hell? 😲
Guidance was quite clear in the leaflet supplied on entry. ...

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Never had a problem on a CMClub site not the cheapest but you get what you pay for, always well laid out and maintained especially compared to anything I have pitched on over the channel and encouragement/enforcement of the 6m spacing is probably an insurance requirement.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
🤔??
Rule of thumb for siting at CMHC sites, park so that the van is to the right of the peg if you drive on to the pitch and to the left if you reverse.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Rule of thumb for siting at CMHC sites, park so that the van is to the right of the peg if you drive on to the pitch and to the left if you reverse.
Wrong
if you drive onto pitch line up to the right of the peg, so near side front to right of peg, if you reverse on still to the right of the peg So off side rear to right of peg. (y)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Wrong
if you drive onto pitch line up to the right of the peg, so near side front to right of peg, if you reverse on still to the right of the peg So off side rear to right of peg. (y)
This is what we have found when staying on site

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Just stayed at cmc club Fairlight Wood, lovely bunch of wardens. We are happy to stay at cl’s or private sites or park4 night or anywhere and they are all so different.
The Fairlight site has a good covid system in place at the toilet blocks. Wrist bands are outside the block in a tub of ‘Milton’, you take a band from the tub and hang it on a hook on a board outside while u use the block , then drop it in the Milton tub when u leave , showing how many people (up to 3)are in there.
A bloke came in the block while I was in there, huffing and complaining about ‘stupid system’ , he’d taken the band from the tub , then put it on his wrist, used bog and then put it back in the tub...
What the hell? 😲
I didn't realise they could open loo blocks yet. I've got friends who won't use their vans on board facilities so have been putting off getting away - I'll pass that on, thanks.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
826a7449-0b79-4752-973c-d0bbf64019b8

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Wrong
Not wrong ... when you reverse you would have your back to the peg thus you would be parking to the left (your left) of the peg ...

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
I didn't realise they could open loo blocks yet. I've got friends who won't use their vans on board facilities so have been putting off getting away - I'll pass that on, thanks.
No showers though but toilets are immaculate and basin cubicles are available, clean as a whistle too

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
From C&MC site for English sites
+++++
All our Club campsites in England are now open. Based on the latest Government guidance issued 8 April, we are pleased to be able to open toilets and shared washing and cleaning facilities excluding showers at Club campsites in England which have them.
+++++

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
No showers though but toilets are immaculate and basin cubicles are available, clean as a whistle too
And just to show how governments assess risk differently, in Scotland showers and toilets on sites are opening from tomorrow!!

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I do not recall ever being to a site on the continent where we were told which way to park . Other than, within the pitch.
In some countries it is stipulated (possibly law!) for caravans to be facing the access road so in an emergency you, or the emergency services, can hitch you up get you off the pitch easier. Not saying they can but it’s just what they say. Cannot remember which countries but google will tell you if you can be bothered.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I also assume that the pitch facing protocol is in place so awnings don’t face each other to provide more privacy. It also means there is less messing around when people pitch up as they have the house rules to guide them.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
And just to show how governments assess risk differently, in Scotland showers and toilets on sites are opening from tomorrow!!
But the sites aren’t opening until then anyway! Last year they did the same as England, sites opened without facilities then about a fortnight later the toilets and showers opened.

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
More to the point, how dare you for not standing to attention outside your hab door while colonel warden was ensuring demarcation was within the 1000th of an inch tolerance. How very disrespectful.

Jeniandjohn

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Rapidity 696ff
Exp
Never seen them move pegs on an occupied pitch, if it was totally in the wrong position I could understand if they asked someone to move. It could have been knocked out by the previous members and put back incorrectly.

All the hate posted on here in the comments about CAMC always makes me laugh. I don’t see the problem, park on the peg forwards or backwards in motorhomes and get on with your stay. I have always done what I wanted, when I wanted and never had an issue.

If something is said or done to you by a warden that you don’t agree with or are not happy with then stand up for yourselves. You are the customer and they are there as staff, no different to a hotel.
I read with dismay and amusement comments like this. The club sites are far from hotels. They are both member owned clubs, that plough any profits made back into the site network. They are staffed by members, just like most of the campers but not all. They do the job, because they enjoy camping and maintaining the sites for campers to enjoy. The rules are in place to ensure the safety and enjoyment of campers and are not something made up by site staff to upset campers. In fact the rules and overall club policies are overseen and controlled by the club chair person and executive committee. Both the chair person and committee are members generally with a long period of service to the club, all of which is unpaid. In addition there are a number of unpaid roles within both clubs, from volunteer site staff to CL/CS inspection officers and a number of members who volunteer on sites prior to reopening after winter shut downs to ensure everything is in order prior to opening for the season. So I hear what funsters often say but with the greatest respect many of the opinions voiced are based on here say, with little or no knowledge off the work and efforts put in by hardworking site staff, on minimum wage and often working more hours than paid for and the army of volunteers in the back ground. I very rarely comment but this time I felt the need to speak up for the clubs. Why do I feel qualified to do so, we have retired having worked a number of years for the ccc as paid site wardens. I would add 99.9% of campers are wonderful there to enjoy themselves, and in truth the vast majority of site staff are superb. As with anything you can have exceptions bad campers meet bad staff nightmare combination for the rest of the site team. I guess my final comment is if it’s not for you don’t go to club sites.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Does that mean that to be In the correct place it means driving in. If we had to drive in we wouldn’t have a view.
If you read the sticker, it gives instructions for parking either way round. Most caravanners reverse onto a pitch as it easier to unhitch the car. Watching some of them doing it is almost as entertaining as watching somebody put up an awning, especially for the first time!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I do not recall ever being to a site on the continent where we were told which way to park . Other than, within the pitch.
On most I’ve been on over there there’s little separation certainly far less than the 6m on CMC , I can usually smell the onions around the guys neck we’re so close :whistle2:

Last edited:

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
I read with dismay and amusement comments like this. The club sites are far from hotels. They are both member owned clubs, that plough any profits made back into the site network. They are staffed by members, just like most of the campers but not all. They do the job, because they enjoy camping and maintaining the sites for campers to enjoy. The rules are in place to ensure the safety and enjoyment of campers and are not something made up by site staff to upset campers. In fact the rules and overall club policies are overseen and controlled by the club chair person and executive committee. Both the chair person and committee are members generally with a long period of service to the club, all of which is unpaid. In addition there are a number of unpaid roles within both clubs, from volunteer site staff to CL/CS inspection officers and a number of members who volunteer on sites prior to reopening after winter shut downs to ensure everything is in order prior to opening for the season. So I hear what funsters often say but with the greatest respect many of the opinions voiced are based on here say, with little or no knowledge off the work and efforts put in by hardworking site staff, on minimum wage and often working more hours than paid for and the army of volunteers in the back ground. I very rarely comment but this time I felt the need to speak up for the clubs. Why do I feel qualified to do so, we have retired having worked a number of years for the ccc as paid site wardens. I would add 99.9% of campers are wonderful there to enjoy themselves, and in truth the vast majority of site staff are superb. As with anything you can have exceptions bad campers meet bad staff nightmare combination for the rest of the site team. I guess my final comment is if it’s not for you don’t go to club sites.

I think you have taken my post the wrong way, I was only saying I’ve never had a problem as whatever I do on site wouldn’t be against site rules or etiquette but if I was told to do something unreasonable by a member of staff I would stand up for myself no different to if I was staying in a hotel.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
What the hell? 😲
Trouble is that people don't read, and are very willing to moan whenever there is the most minute 'inconvenience' to them...

Mar 6, 2008
Spixworth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Moto-
Exp
Since 2006
We are currently pitched up at Troutbeck Head CMC site. We also got the park near the peg advice which we did.The tugger next to us is about 4 foot from the peg.We are waiting for the warden to tar and feather them ha!ha!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back