Strange goings on at CandMC site (1 Viewer)

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
We arrived on site on Saturday and at check-in the assistant warden warned us about parking correctly to the marker post , adding the warden is a bit of a stickler for the rules. OK that doesn’t phase me - been here many times before. We pitched up and noticed that they have a metal marker in the ground next to the peg which I though was unusual. So later in the day the assistant warden is out with a measuring template and we watched as he moved the peg to Exactly the correct position then spray painted the metal marker in hi viz paint and stuck the peg back in . This was on an empty pitch . Then he calmly walked round the back of our Moho and although we couldn’t see exactly what he was doing we assumed he was just painting it all as before , but after he moved on I went out to see for myself. Couldn’t believe it , he’s moved the peg about 18” nearer to the pitch edge and painted it all , leaving us in technically the wrong position !
I’m still waiting for him to come and ask us to move nearer the peg ( it’s regulations you know ) whereupon I shall be spoiling his day . 👍

OP
OP
Apache

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Spray painting anything near my van would result in a few expletives heading his way :oops:
That’s one reason why I went out to look , didn’t want to upset him whilst he was actually doing it but obviously if there had been paint on my van then .........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We’re seriously thinking of trying a few CL sites next year
Certainly try CLs.

Many are up to the standard of large sites......EHU, toilet etc.

Others are more “back to nature”.

We use them frequently and the only problem we find regularly is that many are grass pitches only, which precludes use in winter when the ground is soft.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
We stayed at their site in cheddar a few years ago, we arrived just as the people behind and one pitch to the right were packing......all the time 'their' hook up cable was coiled next to the post at the rear of their caravan
After we had set up we noticed they were gone but the cable was still there so my partner handed it in at reception and received an unthankful attitude which she thought was odd but just ignored
As the day went on all 4 Van's that were on the row behind us left the site and the warden came out and moved all the pegs on that row and left the aforementioned cable on the peg which was now directly behind us
Apparently he had put it out earlier for a regular who was yet to arrive even though he knew he was going to move the pegs about anyway 🤷‍♂️
Never had a problem on any other site

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We arrived on site on Saturday and at check-in the assistant warden warned us about parking correctly to the marker post , adding the warden is a bit of a stickler for the rules. OK that doesn’t phase me - been here many times before. We pitched up and noticed that they have a metal marker in the ground next to the peg which I though was unusual. So later in the day the assistant warden is out with a measuring template and we watched as he moved the peg to Exactly the correct position then spray painted the metal marker in hi viz paint and stuck the peg back in . This was on an empty pitch . Then he calmly walked round the back of our Moho and although we couldn’t see exactly what he was doing we assumed he was just painting it all as before , but after he moved on I went out to see for myself. Couldn’t believe it , he’s moved the peg about 18” nearer to the pitch edge and painted it all , leaving us in technically the wrong position !
I’m still waiting for him to come and ask us to move nearer the peg ( it’s regulations you know ) whereupon I shall be spoiling his day . 👍
So disappointing..... when you said “strange goings on” I was at least expecting a bunch of tuggers dancing naked around a blazing fire in some primitive pagan anti motorhome ritual.

serious note..... apart from Thetford forest where I was parked in middle of the pitch with no canopy, “yeah that’s near enough” is the worst I have ever heard

Last edited:

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year
But unpleasant nevertheless. We live in a (supposedly) first world country. Are you suggesting that we should experience “third world” style problems in the interest of equality? :unsure:

I am surprised you managed to read that in to my post LOL

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Strange (certainly in my opinion- but I have lead a very sheltered life) goings on when we stayed at their Brighton site. Did not think much about Brighton supposedly being the gay capital of the UK but the guy on the pitch next was making the most of it. Some time before covid though.

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Don’t know if I should say really , but it’s on the east coast north of Bridlington and south of Scarborough
Well if it’s not Bridlington‘s club site, which is North of Bridlington itself, it‘s got to be either Cayton Village or West Ayton????

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve watched inexperienced caravan owners trying to reverse their caravans onto a C&MC pitch and getting it to line up with the pitch marker - so what do some of them do - they move it to suit them as most pitch markers are just a spike in the ground. In this case the C&MC are just probably carrying out an audit to check the pitch markers are correctly distanced and carrying out their work correctly to keep people safe.

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve watched inexperienced caravan owners trying to reverse their caravans onto a C&MC pitch and getting it to line up with the pitch marker - so what do they do - they move it to suit them as most pitch markers are just a spike in the ground. In this case they are just carrying out an audit to check the pitch markers are correctly distanced and carrying out their work correctly.
I thought that was what motor movers were invented for

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Thousands stay on the two club sites each year. You get a handful of complaints on this forum. When you go through the gates we know there are rules. Simple if it doesn’t suit don’t use them. Each to their own I have stayed on many club sites with no complaints.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Makes me glad we dropped the CMC as a club
In 20+ years membership the number of relaxed sites has dwindled
the price of CL's had gone up as they try to be mini sites giving glamping quality

Give me an Aire anywhere
Which is why we should all be supporting the CCP initiative

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
when you said “strange goings on” I was at least expecting a bunch of tuggers dancing naked around a blazing fire in some primitive pagan anti motorhome ritual.
He said strange goings on.. Is not what you describe normal tugger behaviour... All the ones I see end up doing a weird ritual dance when they arrive, though I admit it usually involves a lot of fighting with and the flapping of canvas

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
He said strange goings on.. Is not what you describe normal tugger behaviour... All the ones I see end up doing a weird ritual dance when they arrive, though I admit it usually involves a lot of fighting with and the flapping of canvas
Must be my eyesight and imagination

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Has anyone who posted negative comments about the pegs actually thought they are there for a reason. A fire break distance to stop your motorhome going up in flames if the one next to you does. Or you could park on an aire and have a french motorhome park so close you could pass him a cup of tea through the window and maybe a fire extinguisher.

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Has anyone who posted negative comments about the pegs actually thought they are there for a reason. A fire break distance to stop your motorhome going up in flames if the one next to you does. Or you could park on an aire and have a french motorhome park so close you could pass him a cup of tea through the window and maybe a fire extinguisher.
And the reason this is so important is they pack the pitches at the maximum density to generate the greatest income!
I would be very interested to actually learn what the incidence of fire damage to motorhomes actually is from parked activity. Does the spacing chosen actually stop damage to anything on the next pitch, was it based on science or yet another guessed parameter.
Is this concern over a fire break actually based on true evidence, a few isolated incidents or yet another “hangover” from days past like uk vans isolating 12v hab systems when engine starts.
I suspect it’s really not a significant enough issue that statistically it appears on insurers radar, if it did they would be the first to attempt to limit losses with parking distance requirements.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back