LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
...and this is a thread in Motorhome Chat? How many members even go anywhere near the speed limit in theirs?

I overtake loads of them in ours on motorways, so do the HGV's.

The only issue with the A1 is when it's no longer the A1M, that's when you get the weight/speed restrictions. Clue is green signs not blue ones.

If you're unladed weight is below 3050kgs then standard speed limits apply, above 3050kgs then restrictions kick in... it's 70mph for a motorway (A1M), 60 mph on a dual carriageway (A1) and 50 mph on single carriage national A road, the A1 above Northgate/Morpeth is a good example.

The reason why you tend to get bottlenecks on the A1M heading south at Ferrybridge is due to the restriction change down to 60 mph as it becomes the A1.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Yes we have them here next door in Almeria .If you stop when they go red the trafico car behind will either A ) run in to you B) hand on horn & wave you to ignore them ( usual)
yes . Very few stop.
Camera on red light? BUSBY,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I believe the speed limit is lower for a tractor with loaded trailer not many people know that, including most farmers.

Martin
Yes, as soon as you attach a trailer the limit is 20mph. Even the 'high speed ' tractors that have to have abs & braking systems same as trucks are only high speed when devoid of a trailerhttps://www.fginsight.com/vip/vip/know-your-limits-tractor-and-trailer-regulations-19004

Camera on red light? BUSBY,
If they were interested they would. Most of these speed change lights here are on straight sections of road with no junctions.As I said previously if you stop with the guardia behind they will get funny.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
There's a novel idea in use in the village of Springholm in Dumfries & Galloway which is on the A75 euro route.
The village has a 30mph speed limit & if you exceed that limit it triggers a set of traffic lights to go red, hey presto you grind to a halt. :(
So its up to you if you pass through at a sensible speed you carry on unimpeded.
I realise that this is no use on the A1 but at least your not being fleeced of your hard earned cash. (y)
Hope there is a camera on the lights.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
over 100 a day? at £100 each, = over £10k a day...
a nice little earner...

Of Course, that is what is is all about. Otherwise they would be in places where NEEDED. NOT at the bottom of hills on long straight straight stretches.

How the hell do you speed on a tractor?

Round here, VERY easy, Followed one through our village recently towing a Trailer, I was (trying) to do 30ish without actually keeping eyes glued to the speedo. SHE left me standing!.

North Yorkshire police are using cameras purely to raise money,they have sod all to do with road safety. They hide behind buildings and bushes and the ones on motor cycles hide and just leave a tripod on the road side. And before all you angles say you shouldn’t speed i bet none of you haven’t accidentally gone over to 33-35mph at some time .(y)

We Said young man. ALL these "Angels" must have speed limiter's on. As it is IMPOSSIBLE to regulate speed in a modern Automatic in a 30 zone without constantly watching the dials. Modern cars are geared for economy and even changing down increases fuel consumption.

Braemar bobbies still use speed guns (y)

Are these the same devices which caught a brick wall doing 45 in one set of tests?.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
I'm just so glad our precious Police resources are gainfully employed fining people £100 for going 10mph too fast...

Who the hell wants them out there preventing stabbings, solving murders, investigating violent crime, or even god forbid, making us feel safe with regular security patrols !!!!

No, Im more than happy they stick to the easy stuff and leave the real crime to the criminals...

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Canna be that effective as revenue gatherers .. Norfolk got shot of theirs some 4 years ago as they did not even pay their way ! Mind you, perhaps we are a more law abiding lot that you Yorkshire lot !

But in fairness, traffic congestion has got to the stage now in some parts of Norfolk where the locals no longer point and stare when they see a car ;)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
There is a list of roads subject to mobile camera use published in our local paper.

So does our local paper but it lists only general locations for the coming week. A few years ago the Safety Partnership website used to publish the upcoming locations of their vans with precise details including times but that stopped.

A common practice is mobile speed checks a few hundred metres beyond fixed speed cameras.

Local councils compound the problem for drivers. The trendy 20 mph limits in urban areas are so difficult to stick to unless your eyes are glued to the speedometer and as we know the Fiat Ducato one makes this doubly difficult. The mobile units have begun to enforce the 20 mph limit in these parts and one of our friends got caught.

There are too many roads where the speed limit changes from 30 to 40 and sometimes to 50 and back down again over a short distance for no apparent reason. I try not to speed but it is easy to get caught out by mistake especially where the Council's reduction in cutting back hedges to once or twice yearly results in signs that are difficult to see.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
...and this is a thread in Motorhome Chat? How many members even go anywhere near the speed limit in theirs?
I mostly drive close to the limit if traffic and road conditions allow.
It's only fair that other motorists, often local and going about their daily business are able to travel at a reasonable pace and not be hindered by slow moving motorhomes...

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I'm just so glad our precious Police resources are gainfully employed fining people £100 for going 10mph too fast...

Who the hell wants them out there preventing stabbings, solving murders, investigating violent crime, or even god forbid, making us feel safe with regular security patrols !!!!

No, Im more than happy they stick to the easy stuff and leave the real crime to the criminals...

I agree with you about our police solving crimes like stabbings, solving murders, & investigating violent crime now here comes the inevitable but, try telling the parents of a young child who's been killed by a speeding driver that the drivers who's responsible "its ok we didn't think the crime was serious enough to prevent".
Speeding is a crime & for good reason, inappropriate use of speed causes most injuries or even death in a huge proportion of RTC's.

I promise that I'm not trying to pillory normally law abiding drivers but, just try scraping the results off the road & your viewpoint changes completely.

By the way you really should see the driver who's responsible for a death, they're the most snivelling sorry cut up human beings that I've ever seen.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'd still like to throw a dummy grenade through the hatch of one of those mobile camera vans and film the reaction of the guy inside it :)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

It's rarely a police officer in those vans it's just a civilian with a sadistic nature

Like traffic wardens lol

The police are all parked up in McDonald's:p

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Interesting piece of data from the police regarding people caught speeding last year:

Major roads, A19 south of Teesside, A1, and A168, a total of 42,500 people were caught speeding. The worst was one travelling at 144mph. Have noticed lots of mobile cameras on here in the last year or two. Eventually people will get the message I suppose, or maybe not.
Dunno about people getting the message. Every time I travel that stretch (and the A19 north to Tyneside and back, like yesterday) I see plenty of people speeding.
I've been saying for years that if they want to make some money they should set up and concentrate on commercial vans. I'm sure most drivers don't realise they are supposed to be restricted to 60 mph on a dual carriageway.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
try telling the parents of a young child who's been killed by a speeding driver that the drivers who's responsible "its ok we didn't think the crime was serious enough to prevent"
I have no problem with police treating dangerous driving as exactly that, coz that's what running anyone (not just an emotive small child) over is. The issue for me is the disproportionate resources that go into catching and prosecuting those speeding by a small amount - and particularly where the location makes it clear there is little reason for concern...

To use your analagy, would you prefer to tell a young person's family that they got stabbed and you had to scrape him/her off the pool of blood on the pavement coz all the coppers were away on speeding duty - or better still LEZ or congestion charge infringements?

It seems to me we have lost our sense of proportion with drivers right now, preferring to focus on easy transgressions, rather than real issues like homelessness, child poverty, anti-social behaviour, gangs, vandalism, burglary, public transport, low wages etc etc.

It seems to me that a driver doing 10mph too much is a hideous criminal deserving of the full weight of the law, whilst the mugger of an old lady is a victim of their own life and needs support & tax payers cash for rehabilitation

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I got my only speeding ticket in 40 odd years driving in North Yorkshire a few years ago. 34mph in a 30 mph limit. The speed limit had just dropped and I was a bit slow in reducing speed. Two others going to the same wedding were caught by the same mobile camera. I'm always extra careful in Yorkshire now.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
North Yorkshire police are using cameras purely to raise money,they have sod all to do with road safety. They hide behind buildings and bushes and the ones on motor cycles hide and just leave a tripod on the road side. And before all you angles say you shouldn’t speed i bet none of you haven’t accidentally gone over to 33-35mph at some time .(y)

You wouln't expect them to stand out with high vis vests so you can see them from a longways off, they need to be a little concealed . Yes I have gone over the limit and paid the price. No argument from me, I got caught four and square.

Reactions: GJH

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
It seems to me we have lost our sense of proportion with drivers right now, preferring to focus on easy transgressions, rather than real issues like homelessness, child poverty, anti-social behaviour, gangs, vandalism, burglary, public transport, low wages etc etc.

I don't disagree with your sentiments here, the fact remains that police budgets & therefor numbers have been reduced to IMO dangerous levels.
This forces our police to cut the cloth accordingly.
Road traffic policing is an easy target but, that doesn't make speeding acceptable in any way.
In an ideal world the police would simply have the correct budget to deal with whatever is thrown at them.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I agree with you about our police solving crimes like stabbings, solving murders, & investigating violent crime now here comes the inevitable but, try telling the parents of a young child who's been killed by a speeding driver that the drivers who's responsible "its ok we didn't think the crime was serious enough to prevent".
Speeding is a crime & for good reason, inappropriate use of speed causes most injuries or even death in a huge proportion of RTC's.

I promise that I'm not trying to pillory normally law abiding drivers but, just try scraping the results off the road & your viewpoint changes completely.

By the way you really should see the driver who's responsible for a death, they're the most snivelling sorry cut up human beings that I've ever seen.

Quite right but you forgot one thing, most people who routinely speed will tell you they are brilliant drivers and know exactly what they are doing and because of their superior driving skills pose no danger. Much like the drunk driver who will tell you the same as they shout, " it wasn't my fault he came from nowhere" or "that tree wasn't there yesterday" or "I didn't realise there was a school there" and then the snivelling starts.

Reactions: GJH

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Quite right but you forgot one thing, most people who routinely speed will tell you they are brilliant drivers and know exactly what they are doing and because of their superior driving skills pose no danger. Much like the drunk driver who will tell you the same as they shout, " it wasn't my fault he came from nowhere" or "that tree wasn't there yesterday" or "I didn't realise there was a school there" and then the snivelling starts.

I agree with all that you've said.

As for drunk drivers "on my way home I turned into the wrong garden & collided with a tree that I haven't got".

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
That system is used in Spain and Portugal,,BUSBY,,
And France. We call them punishment lights. The only problem is when the idiot that has just sped past you at a really daft speed trigger the lights but is so quick he misses the lights changing, and they catch you .......... :mad::mad:

Personally I think they are a very good idea.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back