Scotland ,your suggestions please (4 Viewers)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Another idea...The Edinburgh fringe and tattoo is on for the next few weeks.

We are heading through tomorrow to go wild at Portabello and enjoy the street entertainment and soak up the atmoshere in Edinburgh.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Were up to Edinburgh today but for a trip I would start in Arran its known as Scotland in minature with differing scenery went there 2 years ago it was great . Went over from south of Glasgow around the island a bit the off from the northwest to the Campbeltown peinsula.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Brian, Five Roads Caravan Park, 'cos we's here:)
.........and none of those Scottish carnevours (midges) about!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Looks great Mo. What's the name of the campsite please .Roy

Hi......... Not sure of the name.... we happened it on chance...

Drove past the castle and it was on the left...

Just a sign saying "Camping".... and a notice that said find your spot and we will be round in the morning...

Right beside the Loch and alongside the camping were a row of very old cottages with netting over the roof`s and bricks tied to rope to keep the netting in place... (Thatched roofs, I think)..

Just googled the area and it looks like it has changed an awful lot since we were there a few years ago... :(

Looks like there is a big Camping and Caravan club site where it was..... so may have sold out to them... shame if they have... it was so peaceful and cheap to boot...

Just looked at photo`s and the little place/village is called "Andelve" not long past when you go over the bridge.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Another idea...The Edinburgh fringe and tattoo is on for the next few weeks.

We are heading through tomorrow to go wild at Portabello and enjoy the street entertainment and soak up the atmoshere in Edinburgh.
The fringe , sorry you can keep that , it's just too busy with teens forcing you to take promo leaflets and think they are the bees knees for entertainment ! Sorry give me Edinburgh without the ' sponsorship gazebos ' and the bs that goes with them .

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
South side of Loch Ness? check out boskine? house( burnt down now ) and church yard , dare you to wild camp there ? GOOGLE WHO LIVED THERE !

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
At ÂŁ27 inc a dog per night that money would nearly half full my car with fuel :LOL:

Thank goodness we are happy to wild.

Does look a nice spot though(y)
we are very happy to wild Sandra and have for years but i have decides to pamper the dragon.
she kneads a bit of she time and we can go kayaking for the day ;)

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
The highlight of our visit to the West Highlands was Fort William, not the town - which didn't really impress, but the surrounding area. Fantastic views of Ben Nevis from Corpach Basin, Neptune's Staircase at Banavie - a spectacular series of locks on the Caledonian Canal. (There is also a nice café/restaurant here where you can sit and watch the comings and goings on the canal), the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge with its stunning views of the surrounding countryside. All these within easy reach of the campsite where we stayed: -
http://www.linnhe-lochside-holidays.co.uk/camping-touring/
This was a lovely site which was inexpensive as they accepted ACSI. The sunsets across Loch Linnhe were really special.
We travelled from Fort William on the coast road to Mallaig. A memorable journey with so much to see, including the Glenfinnan Viaduct, which is a location made famous in the Harry Potter films and overlooks Loch Shiel and the Jacobite monument.

Last edited:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Brian, Five Roads Caravan Park, 'cos we's here:)
.........and none of those Scottish carnevours (midges) about!

Who will be there ? Well, if I can get Management out the door, we might set off !!!!!! :)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
The highlight of our visit to the West Highlands was Fort William, not the town - which didn't really impress, but the surrounding area. Fantastic views of Ben Nevis from Corpach Basin, Neptune's Staircase at Banavie - a spectacular series of locks on the Caledonian Canal. (There is also a nice café/restaurant here where you can sit and watch the comings and goings on the canal), the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge with its stunning views of the surrounding countryside. All these within easy reach of the campsite where we stayed: -
http://www.linnhe-lochside-holidays.co.uk/camping-touring/
This was a lovely site which was inexpensive as they accepted ACSI. The sunsets across Loch Linnhe were really special.
We travelled from Fort William on the coast road to Mallaig. A memorable journey with so much to see, including the Glenfinnan Viaduct, which is a location made famous in the Harry Potter films and overlooks Loch Shiel and the Jacobite monument.

I stay here in Winter when we Ski at Nevis Range.

Have some stunning Photos.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
@Khizzie
Hi......... Not sure of the name.... we happened it on chance...

Drove past the castle and it was on the left...

Just a sign saying "Camping".... and a notice that said find your spot and we will be round in the morning...

Right beside the Loch and alongside the camping were a row of very old cottages with netting over the roof`s and bricks tied to rope to keep the netting in place... (Thatched roofs, I think)..

Just googled the area and it looks like it has changed an awful lot since we were there a few years ago... :(

Looks like there is a big Camping and Caravan club site where it was..... so may have sold out to them... shame if they have... it was so peaceful and cheap to boot...

Just looked at photo`s and the little place/village is called "Andelve" not long past when you go over the bridge.
Ardelve is still a little private site, the big CCC nearby is Morvich, which though very different is also good.
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=9140

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Another vote for D & G gods own country! Get round Newton Stewart explore round Kirroughtree, walks around Murrays monument, coast up to Ayr.
If you are going to Ayr stop off at Culzean Castle. Cheap CC&C farm site opposite entrance or CC club site on the grounds.
culzean.jpg

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
If you are going to Ayr stop off at Culzean Castle. Cheap CC&C farm site opposite entrance or CC club site on the grounds.
View attachment 178047

If you do that then get some Ayrshire potatoes from Dowhill farm on a A77 near Girvan. They blow Jersey Royals into the weeds, just a wee drop butter over them & eat, but we don't send em anywhere else, its Ayrshires best kept secret, so don't tell anyone we don't want the whole world knowing about em.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Help me out , I have only been to Ayrshire once many yrs ago , is there a coal pit / village museum around that area , I seem to remember seeing one but can't find any info on maps etc . Many thax

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Personally I'd tour right up the west coast from Ayrshire up over Erskine bridge up pay Loch lomond, Crianlarich, glencoe, fort William, along the road to the Isles through Arisaig to Mallaig, ferry to skye, round skye bridge back to kyle of Lochalsh, up over the belach na ba to Applecross, continue up the west there's loads of places Lochinver, Scourie, Ullapool, right up to Balnakeil and Durness, along the top to john o groats some beautiful scenery, lots of lovely places to visit eat and walk etc

I don't rate the east coast much it's a little more industrial flat and populated but of course depends on your tastes and interests

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Help me out , I have only been to Ayrshire once many yrs ago , is there a coal pit / village museum around that area , I seem to remember seeing one but can't find any info on maps etc . Many thax

There was a mining museum at a place called Waterside between Patna & Dalmellington, but it closed a few years ago.

Hope that helps, I hate not being able to remember a name lol.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
@old-mo , Is this is the site you mean?....

57.282274, -5.525956 57°16'56.2"N 5°31'33.4"W
Gives the entrance

Untitled.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

If it is I think we may try it the next time we are in the area as we always head for C & M Club at Morvich and always seem to get told "Sorry we are full!

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Leaving oban and Heading for the ferry onto arran tomorrow then over to dumfries and galloway. Not been there before so picked a few places from search for sites app, but now i can check out a few places there mentioned here :) any others ? (y)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Leaving oban and Heading for the ferry onto arran tomorrow then over to dumfries and galloway. Not been there before so picked a few places from search for sites app, but now i can check out a few places there mentioned here :) any others ? (y)

If your in the Caravan club, New England Bay is awesome, right on the edge of the shore, but on the sheltered side of the Mull of Galloway. Brighouse Bay near Kircudbright is good, a tad expensive but masses of facilities. If you want to do some wilding, The Raiders Road at The Otter Pool is one of the best places I've ever come across.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
The Raiders Road at The Otter Pool is one of the best places I've ever come across.

Has the pot holed road been fixed?

TBH I haven"t actually been here myself but your suggestion sounded wonderful so I googled to see exactly where it was and it came up on Trip Advisor.
Most saying about the pot holes bumpy off-road.

Is there another way in perhaps? It does sound a lovely place. (y)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
, Is this is the site you mean?....

Certainly looks like it... toilets & showers on the right...

Tried to look in our old diary`s at the price.. but did not write them down.. :doh:

Being OAP`s it would not have cost a fortune...

Lovely walks and plenty near by... (y)

Hope you enjoy yourselves... and let`s know what you think of the site as we will be going back up in a few months.. (y)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
There was a mining museum at a place called Waterside between Patna & Dalmellington, but it closed a few years ago.

Hope that helps, I hate not being able to remember a name lol.

Are you thinking of The Doon Valley Museum and as you said now closed?
Are the remains of Barony Colliery in Auchinleck still there and "visitable"?

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Are you thinking of The Doon Valley Museum and as you said now closed?
Are the remains of Barony Colliery in Auchinleck still there and "visitable"?

Yes that's the one. The cable winding towers are still a=standing at Barony near Auchinleck though. There is a mining museum over near Edinburgh though.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Has the pot holed road been fixed?

TBH I haven"t actually been here myself but your suggestion sounded wonderful so I googled to see exactly where it was and it came up on Trip Advisor.
Most saying about the pot holes bumpy off-road.

Is there another way in perhaps? It does sound a lovely place. (y)

The road comes in from either end but there is only one road which is open at either end. The last time I was there was in April & they were doing a lot of work on the road. The log trucks rut it into a serious mess in the winter, but as far as I know they were late in finishing this year, so the road repairs were late too. The road surface has no tarmac but to be honest, Its a road for taking your time & enjoying some cracking scenery. I'll try to take a jaunt down there soon & report back on the condition of the road for the forum members.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Yes that's the one. The cable winding towers are still a=standing at Barony near Auchinleck though. There is a mining museum over near Edinburgh though.
Yes that must be the one I can picture it the towers / washing block not a museum as such but buildings still standing etc . The one near Edinburgh I have seen . Must pencil it in for next trip north always regretted not stopping there ? Many thax for help to funsters

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Waterside near Patna still has the steam train working on a Sunday I think, it used to be the old NCB
Coal wash yard trains brought the coal from killoch pit it was washed there then trained to Ayr harbour to get loaded onto the boat I believe it fed a coal fired power station in Northern Ireland.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back