Scotland ,your suggestions please (1 Viewer)

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
I you were going to spend 2wks in Scotland in August,what part or parts would it be and why.?
Brian & Jo

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
coastline to have best option to miss the midges

west first, south west or north west followed by Aberdeenshire for me

but my absolute favourite destination for me is Harris :)(y)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Dumfries and Galloway discover it on our last trip.
Loss of places to visit a d if you like out doors and the wild locations.
I recommend it then the west coast and island's
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
The far north west. It's fabulous. Anywhere on the coast around Kinlochbervie and Scourie.

IMG_0900.JPG

This is Scourie. A similar view to my avatar, taken from my pitch at the Scourie caravan site.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Any of it... It`s all beautiful...(y)

My favourite campsite just up the road from here...

eilean_donan_castle_scotland_cg7p704304c_th.jpg

Eilean Donan Castle..

Dead basic,clean showers stones throw from the Loch and nice walks...

And the old lady comes round in the morning to collect the money..(y)

Brilliant base if you take your car.

Bit of info = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eilean_Donan

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Dumfries and Galloway discover it on our last trip.
Loss of places to visit a d if you like out doors and the wild locations.
I recommend it then the west coast and island's
Bill

I'd second that anytime. The villages & towns have little or no parking restrictions, camp sites are plentiful & wilding is very much encouraged in most places. Go for it, you know you want to. :drinks:

Edit; Oh & in less than four hours you'd be getting the kettle on, sitting back & enjoying stunning scenery.(y)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I'd second that anytime. The villages & towns have little or no parking restrictions, camp sites are plentiful & wilding is very much encouraged in most places. Go for it, you know you want to. :drinks:

Edit; Oh & in less than four hours you'd be getting the kettle on, sitting back & enjoying stunning scenery.(y)
We are liked it that much wet thinking of having a few more days there bit of a drive but well worth it just for the freedom it offers
Bill

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Another vote for D & G gods own country! Get round Newton Stewart explore round Kirroughtree, walks around Murrays monument, coast up to Ayr.

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
If you want culture/history then the central belt is the place to be as it's loaded with places within close proximity, Glasgow, Stirling, Edinburgh and places in between. If you want wilderness then the west and north coasts are stunning and all the way round the top to John O'Groats, in fact the North Coast 500 takes the whole wild/beauty/mountains/glens and stunning white beaches in. You can wild camp just about anywhere geographically as long as you're careful it's not prohibited, and DON'T trespass anywhere, it's a common myth that there is no trespass law in Scotland, there is but it is covered by the law of civil wrong and you'll get nicked if caught.
It's a wonderful place to be and to see, enjoy.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Buy Avon so soft and simple. Smidge, an electric midge killer and head nets. You'll then be ready to face the midges and have a wonderful West coast tour. Oh! And buy some Aftetbite which has ammonia and is really soothing. We have just got back from Shetland but the west coast and Hebrides are wonderful. Happy travelling.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
This will keep you busy for a week -- https://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/media/16519/castle-trail-2016-final-for-web.pdf

Even cheaper if you join National Trust Scotland for around £69 or National Trust England for around £100.
You'll always have somewhere to head for or somewhere to visit if it's raining.
We were there last week and loads of easy wild camping spots

DSC02080.JPG

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
ah the land of my birth....

I recommend The Clippens Inn in Linwood (Renfrewshire).... Friday night is a riot... Big lounge with stage, live music followed by a disco, big bar, cheap drink, fight at kicking out time followed by a fantastic kebab from the van... (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

oh happy days...

for a slightly quieter time, can only endorse many of the other posts....D&G, the Borders, North West, Highlands, etc etc etc...

Just enjoy..

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I'm with @DavidG58 on this, gotta be the western isles. Absolutely stunning and rivals the caribbean on a sunny day...Minus the caribbean temperature.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Dear me that's another thread bookmarked to add to my Touring France, Touring Germany, Touring Holland, Touring Scandinavia, Italy, Switzerland, Belgium, oh and the UK. I shall not live long enough to do half these places. :(

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Head up through Glencoe then fort William Take the Skye road through glen shield past ealean donnan castle , then head up the west coast Ullapool , Gairloch, Lochinver, Poolewe, Scourie always a wee sea breeze so midges will stay away amazing places unbelievable scenery , campsites or wild camp wake up to red deer around the van , enjoy the friendly people and the great food , no hurry take everything in and just enjoy

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Dumfries & Galloway first then head up the coast, over the Erskine bridge and on to the West coast. Not long enough for the Western Isles though.

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Ayr town doesn't have much going for it at all , but the beach is okay and you can overnight on the promenade along at the pier end with no worries , 10 mins walk away from town centre although a lot of shops closed down good couple of places to eat and have a beer , the wee windaes pub in Newmarket street , the tree house on the sand gate good food there as well, don't forget the best ice cream in Ayrshire Reynaldos at the top of the sand gate, don't get fish n chips from the Wellington not very good go round the corner to Marcos much better and fresh fish, all just 5 mins from the promenade

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Ayr town doesn't have much going for it at all , but the beach is okay and you can overnight on the promenade along at the pier end with no worries , 10 mins walk away from town centre although a lot of shops closed down good couple of places to eat and have a beer , the wee windaes pub in Newmarket street , the tree house on the sand gate good food there as well, don't forget the best ice cream in Ayrshire Reynaldos at the top of the sand gate, don't get fish n chips from the Wellington not very good go round the corner to Marcos much better and fresh fish, all just 5 mins from the promenade
i will give a voat for Marcos very good thay are
bill

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Any of it... It`s all beautiful...(y)

My favourite campsite just up the road from here...

eilean_donan_castle_scotland_cg7p704304c_th.jpg

Eilean Donan Castle..

Dead basic,clean showers stones throw from the Loch and nice walks...

And the old lady comes round in the morning to collect the money..(y)

Brilliant base if you take your car.

Bit of info = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eilean_Donan
Looks great Mo. What's the name of the campsite please .Roy

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I know it's expensive Sandra, but ...................................they have Alpacas and donkeys. :h:

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
IMG_5322.JPG
Stop it , even thou I have been up there June this year I can't wait to go back especially tail end of season , especially now the 500 is getting so popular during the summer .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back