Scotland, not my idea of a holiday destination. (1 Viewer)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Green goddess! Fantastic pumps I remember them well from the fireman’s strike of 1978 , you just had to make sure the tanks are completely filled after shout , no baffles so careful driving was needed !

Remember these ? this is how the engine I put in one of my cars started life.

1625603338706.png

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
My memory is fading, but that looks like the ubiquitous Coventry Climax engine?

Well done sir, correct. :clap2:
Were they not Coventry Climax pumps, which were mated to the same engines as used in the Hillman Imps? ;)

You love South Pembrokeshire then Jock?

We have a lot in common(y)
Not quite God's Country Chris, but very beautiful indeed. I used to have to go to RAF Brawdy (parent unit), from RAF Pembrey fortnightly, and would often have a pint in the wee pub by the harbour in Solva. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Not quite God's Country Chris, but very beautiful indeed. I used to have to go to RAF Brawdy (parent unit), from RAF Pembrey fortnightly, and would often have a pint in the wee pub by the harbour in Solva. ;)

Cheers,

I used to play rugby against RAF Brawdy back in the 1980's Jock. They had a good bar (y)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
A diversion, but an interesting history of the Climax engine here. A pity that the Rootes Group failed to iron out the problems before launching it in the Imp!

It would appear that I stand corrected, ie, they were Coventry Climax engines mated to their own pumps. :whatthe:

Cheers,

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Were they not Coventry Climax pumps, which were mated to the same engines as used in the Hillman Imps? ;)

Nearly, but not quite. The Coventry Climax pump in the photo is the 1020cc version which was developed to power the Lotus Elite and a few other cars of the period, and was further developed as a F1 race engine.
The government wanted a lighter version of the Coventry Climax pump, so a smaller, lighter 750cc version with the same GPM output was produced, and that is the version that was the basis for the Hillman Imp engine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Nearly, but not quite. The Coventry Climax pump in the photo is the 1020cc version which was developed to power the Lotus Elite and a few other cars of the period, and was further developed as a F1 race engine.
The government wanted a lighter version of the Coventry Climax pump, so a smaller, lighter 750cc version with the same GPM output was produced, and that is the version that was the basis for the Hillman Imp engine.
Wasn't the Imp produced with an 848cc engine? Dad was working for a Rootes Group garage in 1964, and had one of the early models, 919 KWP,in white .He paid the Base Price of £509 for a brand new car,and coughed up a further £45 for undersealing. He was so proud of that car!

Steve

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Wasn't the Imp produced with an 848cc engine? Dad was working for a Rootes Group garage in 1964, and had one of the early models, 919 KWP,in white .He paid the Base Price of £509 for a brand new car,and coughed up a further £45 for undersealing. He was so proud of that car!

Steve

Yes, developed with an increased capacity from the 750cc version of the pump engine.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
On our third week touring this glorious country. We've had one night of rain and EVERY day has been blue skies and temperatures of 18 to 25 degrees. Breathtaking scenery gorgeous beaches and friendly people.
These are our reasons for hating Scotland.
Visiting gellyneck country in September.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Very subtle way of saying their team was Ehhhhhhhhh! :whistle2: ;):giggle:
No not at all. I just recall the bar was heavily subsidised and we used to stay there for hours after the game ;)

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Many moons ago I used to rally Hartwell Imp, great little car, would have been fun driving that round Scotland which getting back on thread is still a great place I want to return to!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
No not at all. I just recall the bar was heavily subsidised and we used to stay there for hours after the game ;)
Chris, at Pembrey 77 -79, we were selling our beer ( Buckley's) at £0.16 per pint, and shorts at £0.20 per single, no subsidies, and we still made a small profit from the sales. ;)

Cheers,

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
It was and for some reason we called them a featherweight pump. They definitely weighed more than any feather I know of.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
If I told you that I’d have to shoot you. ;)
No need to Phil, as I had a wee look for myself.........................so you won't be incriminated under the Official Secrets Act, and you can keep your gun in it's holster. :LOL:

"In 1995 the Joint Maritime Facility at St. Mawgan in Cornwall replaced NAVFAC Brawdy and the facility was deactivated on 1 October 1995."

<Broken link removed>

Cheers,

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
No need to Phil, as I had a wee look for myself.........................so you won't be incriminated under the Official Secrets Act, and you can keep your gun in it's holster. :LOL:

"In 1995 the Joint Maritime Facility at St. Mawgan in Cornwall replaced NAVFAC Brawdy and the facility was deactivated on 1 October 1995."

<Broken link removed>

Cheers,

And for anyone thinking of having armed Police sent to my house……..I don’t really have a gun. ;)

Dec 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Obviously you haven't been of the usual tourists routes in Scotland as it is absolutely breathtaking, you mentioned the Alps, also the German this the French that and the Italian this, but you are comparing what Scotland has as one country against basically the whole of Europe, in Scotland you can see amazing mountains, lochs, lake's castles and beautiful golden sand beaches especially up the north west or the western islands, you can see sea eagles puffin various birds of prey not to mention an abundance of stags, otters, mink etc it has the best fishing by far if your into that sort of thing, and if you ever decide to tour Scotland visit the Western isles you won't meet a nicer friendlier more helpful bunch of people anywhere in Europe. And don't be put off by the SNP crap and the anti English rhetoric that they spout most of Scotland are not nationalists.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back