Scotland, not my idea of a holiday destination. (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
When an Englishman refers to say "The 'Jocks' coming down to London" Its regionalism, not racism. There is a big misunderstood difference that the PC among us just don't get. Racism is a truly disgusting thing. Regionalism should be encouraged. It's healthy.

Every town has dumb nicknames for their nearest town who are rivals in everything, from local derby sports meetings to the best kept village the same with regions the same with countries like those that make up the UK, Jocks, taffies, Sasanachs, paddies etc. This rivalry is healthy and is why we have prospered so. it doesn't stop there it's international. We might get called RostBifs but its only by the Frogs so who cares. :D

If you get offended by this stuff I'm sorry, but I'll save my offence for things that matter, like proper racism.
OK Jim this is a well argued point with I think a lot of truth in it. My Dad never liked the term Jock and it was him I listened to in my formative years so good to hear another perspective. I'm willing to read peoples responses and accept decent arguments well made. I seem to have opened a can of worms and have maybe made my responses a bit stronger than I maybe should without I should say much support so will back off and let the thread carry on without my disruption.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
At the risk of introducing a sour note Cornwall is for many who live there not a nice place at all.

The county is one of the most deprived areas of Western Europe. There is money in evidence in some places but also great poverty.
Sadly your right, so the sooner they sell up to the rich people wanting second homes the sooner these "poor" areas will be improved!

Win Win eh?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Took us 4 hours, Slapton Sands to Weston-super-Mare on Friday. :eek:
When working I've taken that long to get from Slapton to Exeter, absolute nightmare trying to work during the summer.
There is poverty in all areas
true but Cornwall is classed as on par with the poorest areas of Albania by the EU,when we were in it, & entitled to large grants in nearly any area.
Ok...
Massive lithium deposits ?
Geo thermal potential ?
Wind/wave hub potential.
Spaceport.
All of which require a decent road/motorway system. It doesn't have one. Many areas , even when you come back in to Devon, when there is a major accident there is no alternative way of bypassing it.
Back in the 90's they came up witha plan to turn Cornwall into "the next South Wales" Really ? anyone with half a braind realised that the road infrastructure would always be the problem with south Wales having 3 if not 4 decent ways in /out whilst Cornwall has the A30. All they actually managed to do was advertise for Chief executives, regeneration directors, etc;etc; on colossal salaries & basically it came to nothing.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
isle of man Ayers point. Overnighted here
View attachment 513252

Stood at the side of Peel Castle
View attachment 513253

Ramsey
View attachment 513254

Ramsey Promenade beside Ramsey Lake, note the gravel area to the right of the pic has Elsan and fresh. Permits need to be obtained to stay overnight here,
View attachment 513255

Overnighted here (or 2oo metres away)
View attachment 513256

Overnighted here
View attachment 513257

100 metres from the sea but yet feels like miles from anywhere. 6 other vans over what must have been 100's of acres,
thank you very much

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
It's worth it for the pies alone and the haggis also but yes if i had to choose just one destination for the rest of my life it would be somewhere with better weather. Not everyone likes heat though.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I can honestly say that I have friends who are Italian, French, Scottish and Welsh and our banter is eye watering cruel and could never be posted on a forum like Motorhome Fun where there are so many "sensitive souls"

Taking this to the wider example, a few of the things I have said over the years that have offended people, or, even better when people have challenged me for writing something expecting me to turn into a grovelling, and hand wringing apology monster, then more offended when I laugh!

I mentioned about eating Peanuts on a plane and got into an argument stating I was selfish as their Grandson had a severe nut allergy and he could die if he ate a peanut and I was making jokes about peanuts! My response? "A" it was a joke, "B" If I had his allergy and it was that severe, I probably would take the responsibility to keep "me" away from danger rather than assume everyone was clairvoyant and knew about it, in an environment where peanuts were likely to be served! This of course was wrong and caused "more offence"

Another time I joked about drinking and driving with "the decoy" being "Des" (Designated driver) again, embroiled in an argument, one online of offline. The online one saying that they were appalled I was making jokes about alcohol abuse, when his dear Sister was killed by a drunk driver and I should be ashamed for making light of it, how would I feel if my Sister had been killed (mind you I have two Sisters, one I really, really like, and another one:whistle2: ) The offline one was someone seriously concerned that I was making jokes about alcohol, he had a family member who was an alcoholic and that making light of it really didn't help her recovery, her issue not mine was the response which apparently made me a callous bastard! But it doesn't. If I had a family member or friend struggling to control an addiction It would be terrible of me to flaunt alcohol or joke about it in their presence. But, to expect everything in the media, advertising on TV and billboards, cinema's sports sponsorship and general chit chat on social media to cease, is naïve selfish and deluded.

We all get offended by things, but so what! I took offence at seeing Chris Witty being manhandled by morons, other people will be offended that I used the word "moron" "You wouldn't say that if your Son had a learning disability you horrible man!

Everyone is entitled to be offended, you just don't have the right to expect the World to change to fit your view of it. Of course none of this was a problem a 100 years ago, when people weren't connected

100 years if you like dressing up in your wife's clothes and popping a Walnut up your bum and smearing your privates with honey before rolling in an Ant's nest you'd be a weird pervert!

Nowadays, you'd be part of internet community solely dedicated to bringing the benefits of getting your willy stung by Ants "clenching" on a walnut wearing your wife's Prada and anything humous said about it would be "Offensive"

In fact: www.wifesdresswithwalnutclenchingantsting.com

In essence what ever someone says will offend someone when you have circa 7.5 Billion people to choose from!

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
It's worth it for the pies alone and the haggis also but yes if i had to choose just one destination for the rest of my life it would be somewhere with better weather. Not everyone likes heat though.
Aw, c'mon. Scotland offers all 4 seasons weather types in 1 day, and you rarely have to wait more than 15 minutes for the next change ... If only we could get the bus service to be this customer focused, we'd have the best of everything! :LOL: (y)

Steve

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
When working I've taken that long to get from Slapton to Exeter, absolute nightmare trying to work during the summer.

true but Cornwall is classed as on par with the poorest areas of Albania by the EU,when we were in it, & entitled to large grants in nearly any area.

All of which require a decent road/motorway system. It doesn't have one. Many areas , even when you come back in to Devon, when there is a major accident there is no alternative way of bypassing it.
Back in the 90's they came up witha plan to turn Cornwall into "the next South Wales" Really ? anyone with half a braind realised that the road infrastructure would always be the problem with south Wales having 3 if not 4 decent ways in /out whilst Cornwall has the A30. All they actually managed to do was advertise for Chief executives, regeneration directors, etc;etc; on colossal salaries & basically it came to nothing.
All valid good points 🍻

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I can honestly say that I have friends who are Italian, French, Scottish and Welsh and our banter is eye watering cruel and could never be posted on a forum like Motorhome Fun where there are so many "sensitive souls"

Taking this to the wider example, a few of the things I have said over the years that have offended people, or, even better when people have challenged me for writing something expecting me to turn into a grovelling, and hand wringing apology monster, then more offended when I laugh!

I mentioned about eating Peanuts on a plane and got into an argument stating I was selfish as their Grandson had a severe nut allergy and he could die if he ate a peanut and I was making jokes about peanuts! My response? "A" it was a joke, "B" If I had his allergy and it was that severe, I probably would take the responsibility to keep "me" away from danger rather than assume everyone was clairvoyant and knew about it, in an environment where peanuts were likely to be served! This of course was wrong and caused "more offence"

Another time I joked about drinking and driving with "the decoy" being "Des" (Designated driver) again, embroiled in an argument, one online of offline. The online one saying that they were appalled I was making jokes about alcohol abuse, when his dear Sister was killed by a drunk driver and I should be ashamed for making light of it, how would I feel if my Sister had been killed (mind you I have two Sisters, one I really, really like, and another one:whistle2: ) The offline one was someone seriously concerned that I was making jokes about alcohol, he had a family member who was an alcoholic and that making light of it really didn't help her recovery, her issue not mine was the response which apparently made me a callous bastard! But it doesn't. If I had a family member or friend struggling to control an addiction It would be terrible of me to flaunt alcohol or joke about it in their presence. But, to expect everything in the media, advertising on TV and billboards, cinema's sports sponsorship and general chit chat on social media to cease, is naïve selfish and deluded.

We all get offended by things, but so what! I took offence at seeing Chris Witty being manhandled by morons, other people will be offended that I used the word "moron" "You wouldn't say that if your Son had a learning disability you horrible man!

Everyone is entitled to be offended, you just don't have the right to expect the World to change to fit your view of it. Of course none of this was a problem a 100 years ago, when people weren't connected

100 years if you like dressing up in your wife's clothes and popping a Walnut up your bum and smearing your privates with honey before rolling in an Ant's nest you'd be a weird pervert!

Nowadays, you'd be part of internet community solely dedicated to bringing the benefits of getting your willy stung by Ants "clenching" on a walnut wearing your wife's Prada and anything humous said about it would be "Offensive"

In essence what ever someone says will offend someone when you have circa 7.5 Billion people to choose from!

And the rights of those ants not to get injured? 🤔 ;)

Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp

In essence what ever someone says will offend someone when you have circa 7.5 Billion people to choose f
Well I'm going to eat some humble pie here. Jim and Eddie here have made two great comments about giving and taking offence showing a lot of good grace and humour and I have read them both carefully and can't really disagree with either. So I'm apologising for any aggressive comments that I have made, am dismounting from my high horse and bringing myself down to ground and totally accept that I have most likely read the room wrong and that I have been finding offence where there is none intended.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.

Bloody hell Eddie you had me worried there. I clicked on the www.wifesdresswithwalnutclenchingantsting.com link worried the photo taken through my living room curtains would be front and centre.

Phew close call.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Scotland is beautiful but the weather can be a tad unreliable and the bloody midges : and I live up here
Far rather be in the Alps with views like this View attachment 512805
There are views every bit as nice as that in Scotland if you know where to look

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
There are views every bit as nice as that in Scotland if you know where to look
Absolutely, not taking anything away from Scotland but the Snowdonia national park is every bit as breath taking as any views from anywhere.
The Llanberis Pass or the A5 from Betws y Coed, fantastic roads on a motorbike.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
My Dad never liked the term Jock and it was him I listened to in my formative years so good to hear another perspective. I'm willing to read peoples responses and accept decent arguments well made.

JockandRita That's Jock and his child bride Rita. Left jasmin Camping half an hour ago. So not all Scottish hate the term Jock
Lots of Scots dislike the term Jock as a nickname or as a generic term, however, I was christened John. :) Not a lot of people know this, but in the Highlands and Islands, Jock is a derivative of John, just as in Lancashire where Jack is a derivative of John, so no, I don't regard Jock as a derogatory term.............................because it's my name. ;)
Throughout the RAF Fire Service and my local Brigade, I have always been known as Jock.

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Lots of Scots dislike the term Jock as a nickname or as a generic term, however, I was christened John. :) Not a lot of people know this, but in the Highlands and Islands, Jock is a derivative of John, just as in Lancashire where Jack is a derivative of John, so no, I don't regard Jock as a derogatory term.............................because it's my name. ;)
Throughout the RAF Fire Service and my local Brigade, I have always been known as Jock.

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

Do you know about this Jock?

My son was a volunteer until work commitments got in the way. Managed to get a drive in an old Green Goddess. (y)

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit

My son was a volunteer until work commitments got in the way. Managed to get a drive in an old Green Goddess. (y)
Green goddess! Fantastic pumps I remember them well from the fireman’s strike of 1978 , you just had to make sure the tanks are completely filled after shout , no baffles so careful driving was needed !

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

Yes thanks Sapper520. (y)

I have been in touch with them, and did volunteer some time with them when at RAF Scampton, however, they have been moved from Scampton due to the incoming RAF RIAT which was a disastrous failure, and have been moved from pillar to post since, unfortunately at their own expense. :cry: It is the largest privately owned collection of Military Fire Fighting memorabilia in the world, built up by Ex (RAF Fire Service) Warrant Officer Steve Shirley.
Dave and Ginny who have been very constructive in the museum's existence, are fully aware of their efforts to stay afloat.
If Rita and I were lottery winners, they wouldn't be looking for a new home any more, and it would be Bomber County based once again, no sweats.

Anyway, back on topic, there are lots of places which aren't my idea of a holiday destination either, however, God's country isn't one of them. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back