Scotland, not my idea of a holiday destination. (1 Viewer)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Obviously you haven't been of the usual tourists routes in Scotland as it is absolutely breathtaking, you mentioned the Alps, also the German this the French that and the Italian this, but you are comparing what Scotland has as one country against basically the whole of Europe, in Scotland you can see amazing mountains, lochs, lake's castles and beautiful golden sand beaches especially up the north west or the western islands, you can see sea eagles puffin various birds of prey not to mention an abundance of stags, otters, mink etc it has the best fishing by far if your into that sort of thing, and if you ever decide to tour Scotland visit the Western isles you won't meet a nicer friendlier more helpful bunch of people anywhere in Europe. And don't be put off by the SNP crap and the anti English rhetoric that they spout most of Scotland are not nationalists.
You forgot the midges... not sure Germany, France, Italy nor Switzerland have those :unsure:

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Ok, I have a fever and may be a little delirious but bare with me.

I've seen various people mention Scotland as an alternative destination to Europe this year due to the covid situation and I always think 'why bother?'.
If you only ever holiday in the UK then fair enough you might be impressed but if you have ever toured Europe its a little bit mediocre.
If you live down south it takes longer to drive there on over-crowded roads than it does to get to France, and if you live up north then the lake district is closer.
Yes it has mountains but nothing compared to the Alps. It has lochs but again a bit underwhelming once you have been to southern Germany or the Italian lakes.
Castles? yes but again not quite as great as the German ones or the French Chateaux. Thats without taking the unpredictable, mostly GREY weather into account and the bloody (literally once they have had their fill) midgies. I made the mistake of camping in a tent near Perth once, that lasted one night).

Anyway that's my thoughts, I'm sure not everyone will agree.

PS I lived and worked in northern scotland for six years including Skye for a short while so I do have some knowledge.
Sounds like you like the Bling

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
An alternative, some might say more realistic photo.
Screenshot_20210807-202024.png

Mar 12, 2021
Renfrew Scotland
Funster No
MH
kontiki sport
Exp
20 years tugging .5 years MOH.
How human beings can be strange.... You have curls you want straight hair, you have blue eyes you wish you had black ones... and so on! I have lived in France my whole life or nearly. I didn't visit all of France, but still, since I am 11 years old I have been dreaming of Scotland. I finally went there twice. Plane, train, bus, a beautiful manor ... haggis...and I only wish to go back . I love the fog on the lochs, I like the mystery of the scottish battles punctuated by the drums in the distance and the music of both Robert Burns's poetry, and bag pipes. Alps will never make me dream the same way. I've been on the Lochness once with rain, and once with sun... and I prefer it with the rain. The ruins of the Urquhart Castle are so moving.
We all seem to never really be happy with what we have.....
Very we’ll put.👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie

I've seen various people mention Scotland as an alternative destination to Europe this year due to the covid situation and I always think 'why bother?'.
If you only ever holiday in the UK then fair enough you might be impressed but if you have ever toured Europe its a little bit mediocre.
If you live down south it takes longer to drive there on over-crowded roads than it does to get to France, and if you live up north then the lake district is closer.
Yes it has mountains but nothing compared to the Alps. It has lochs but again a bit underwhelming once you have been to southern Germany or the Italian lakes.
Castles? yes but again not quite as great as the German ones or the French Chateaux. Thats without taking the unpredictable, mostly GREY weather into account and the bloody (literally once they have had their fill) midgies. I made the mistake of camping in a tent near Perth once, that lasted one night).

PS I lived and worked in northern scotland for six years including Skye for a short while so I do have some knowledge.
No sure if you've heard of the pandemic that's been going on for the last 18 months or so but it's been quite a big thing

Some people get 2 weeks off work so say they decide to go to Europe and have a great time looking at lakes and mountains

Then they get ready to come home , skint but happy , only there's a problem , they take the required test so they can enter the UK but no, they test positive in a foreign country having spent all their money.

They then may have to isolate in a special hotel for up to three weeks €€€ and have more tests €€€, they've missed their flight / ferry so have to re book ,€€€ , their boss isn't happy and they sit head in hands, why didn't we go to Scotland.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I don’t know of one person who has failed the test before coming home, but I do many that have had a great time, and financially are far better off having had a holiday abroad than the UK.

For us 2.5 weeks away only paid for four nights at aires and they were all under €11. ET via frequent traveller and less fuel than to Scotland. All good.

Cie

Jul 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
Custom Build
If Scotland is for you, try the North East Coast. The midges are not around that much. As you’ve seen, Dunnottar Castle at Stonehaven is great. This is our local beach at Fraserburgh. Our summer weather has been pleasant too, no sweltering hot days nor the high winds that much of the UK had.
If you head this way, maybe pop into to our newly opened £5 per night stopover
<Broken link removed> stopover
😊

Attachments

• 63251F0B-EE5F-42A9-83B8-FF27ACA34E25.jpeg
    63251F0B-EE5F-42A9-83B8-FF27ACA34E25.jpeg
    509.2 KB · Views: 19
Dec 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Don't really understand this freedom to move being bandied about I'm old enough to remember going on camping holidays with my parents to Spain/Germany and visiting an uncle who had permanently moved to France before the creation of the EU and as far as I'm aware I can still do this I can visit any part of EU and if I wish to permanently move to any European country I can as long as I meet their criteria yes there is more red tape but that's just the way it is in the vast majority of countries.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
If Scotland is for you, try the North East Coast. The midges are not around that much. As you’ve seen, Dunnottar Castle at Stonehaven is great. This is our local beach at Fraserburgh. Our summer weather has been pleasant too, no sweltering hot days nor the high winds that much of the UK had.
If you head this way, maybe pop into to our newly opened £5 per night stopover
<Broken link removed> stopover
😊
I'm fishing out of Fraserburgh today. We're leaving harbour at 1pm but next early trip I will book in to your stopover to save a mad rush up from Kintore in the morning (y)

• Love It
Reactions: Cie
Dec 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm fishing out of Fraserburgh today. We're leaving harbour at 1pm but next early trip I will book in to your stopover to save a mad rush up from Kintore in the morning (y)
Going to take big bear out on her maiden voyage around about 20th August hoping to head up west coast and do some freshwater loch fishing then head over to the east and take in some sea fishing. So will be sure to try out your site. Would like to have done it this week as van in now complete but heading to IOM later this week for a few days in a hotel🥴

Reactions: Cie

youbecome1

Free Member
Jun 26, 2014
Weybridge
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
6 months

Wow! I couldn’t disagree more wholeheartedly.
My wife and I did the NC 500 at the end of June and beginning of July and had a fabulous time. Yes, it’s a long way from the South East, but so is the Alps. The west coast is spectacular, especially from Durness to Ullapool. Almost sensory overload it’s so lovely. Handa Island’s Puffin colony was amazing. Weather is always a factor. We were lucky. One bad day. we had plenty of blockbuster days too. See some of the pics. Make your decision.
I’ve been to Austria, Germany, Italy, France and Spain and all their mountain areas. They’re different but equally special.
Be open minded. It’s worth it!
👍
E36A979B-E837-4641-A4F1-A345CD070EB7.jpeg
E3E1176B-4616-44BE-AA8B-DB9DF31C7155.jpeg
23B4577D-5882-4EE8-8627-0665C0B3D84C.jpeg
8D6381B8-FD51-4652-9F0D-03092295574D.jpeg
3DB29991-EBBC-4A28-BA50-B06CA6E5EA62.jpeg
7BD39B33-F79B-43B8-8A67-121893389F3B.jpeg
2FC87796-BA62-4E88-B99E-CA95FEC07428.jpeg
32BEFE68-825E-4001-9D41-3F16C4D74E85.jpeg

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
My wife and I did the NC 500 at the end of June and beginning of July and had a fabulous time. Yes, it’s a long way from the South East, but so is the Alps. The west coast is spectacular, especially from Durness to Ullapool. Almost sensory overload it’s so lovely. Handa Island’s Puffin colony was amazing. Weather is always a factor. We were lucky. One bad day. we had plenty of blockbuster days too. See some of the pics. Make your decision.
I’ve been to Austria, Germany, Italy, France and Spain and all their mountain areas. They’re different but equally special.
👍View attachment 525182View attachment 525183View attachment 525184View attachment 525185View attachment 525186View attachment 525187View attachment 525188View attachment 525189
We're lucky to live only 7 miles or so by road from the Bridges. The Queensferry Crossing is spectacular in every light, and the Rail Bridge is also a wee bit special ... (y)

Steve

vectisroamers

Free Member
Aug 2, 2021
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
A class Carthago co
Exp
Just returned from fantastic trip around the coast, beautiful scenery, friendly people,good weather for most of the trip and no midges.
The only downside was Ullapool which is a typical tourist resort where they just serve up terrible fish and chips and bad coffee knowing that you are only there once so they dont care.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Best part about Wales is the bypass - the M5 ::bigsmile: (y)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hey you! Stoap encouraging folk tae come up here!:swear2:

It's oors an were keepin it a secret!:RollEyes:

Aug 15, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
Since 2007

Oh dear, totally utterly disagree. Do agree it takes all sorts but we absolutely love everything about Scotland. The scenery matches or is better than anything we’ve seen anywhere in the world. What else can I say, we’ve done the NCR ten times and walked the West Highland Way 25 times. Scotland forever in our book. 👍👍

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
The only downside was Ullapool which is a typical tourist resort
Disagree , if you catch it at right time fantastic place , spainish trucks loading up great fish ! Local fishing boats unloading Ferries coming and going , the whole vista , historic place . And Tesco’s to replend ready for onward journey !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back