Scotland, not my idea of a holiday destination. (1 Viewer)

Jul 8, 2016
Carshalton
Funster No
MH
Nuevo II 2010
Exp
Since 1993
We live in the south of London and love big France for its variety of campsites and places to see, and of course the consistently warm weather, but Scotland always has a special place for us especially the western Isles and the Highlands. Rugged beauty and isolation, one lane roads with passing places, wild camping, honesty boxes, clear streams and lochs to swim in and so few cars on the roads. It is motorhome heaven, as long as the wind blows to ground those pesky midges! Honestly the worst thing about a 2 or 3 week tour of beautiful Scotland is the return to the humdrum of everyday life in crowded southern England. When we hit that awful M25 we really do want to turn around and go straight back north to beautiful remote Scotland!

Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
Obviously the original post was a decoy trying yo keep us sough of the wall folk away im not buying it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• IMG_20210709_174929.jpg
    IMG_20210709_174929.jpg
    711.6 KB · Views: 25

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs

Scotland, not my idea of a holiday destination.​

.................................................................................................................

It`s "BEAUTIFUL".......... :inlove:

And 99% of Scots are very welcoming and friendly... (y):hugs:

And when the midges start to disappear in a few weeks...

We are going up there for a while.... :Grin::Eeek:

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I have never been to Scotland even though I have a cousin there. The idea of traveling 600 miles and it's colder 🤔 sorry I can't do it. My dad used to love Scotland, but that was years ago before the roads became so bad🙁

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.

Scotland, not my idea of a holiday destination.​

.................................................................................................................

It`s "BEAUTIFUL".......... :inlove:

And 99% of Scots are very welcoming and friendly... (y):hugs:

And when the midges start to disappear in a few weeks...

We are going up there for a while.... :Grin::Eeek:
see you up there after September 1st. Heading for Loch Lomond then on to Gairloch and Ullapool.

Deleted User
Clachtoll Beach Campsite tomorrow and can't wait.
Leaving Eskdale NT site in the Lakes after a enjoyable stay.
Great pub 5mins walk, the Boot inn (formerly the Burnmoore inn) offering fantastic food and proper beer!

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Looking at campsites out of interest last night
Lots of sites more or less full for August but plenty space once into September :dance2:
For the most part we get up to other stuff in August and keep clear of campsites when they are crowded

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
We live in the south of London and love big France for its variety of campsites and places to see, and of course the consistently warm weather, but Scotland always has a special place for us especially the western Isles and the Highlands. Rugged beauty and isolation, one lane roads with passing places, wild camping, honesty boxes, clear streams and lochs to swim in and so few cars on the roads. It is motorhome heaven, as long as the wind blows to ground those pesky midges! Honestly the worst thing about a 2 or 3 week tour of beautiful Scotland is the return to the humdrum of everyday life in crowded southern England. When we hit that awful M25 we really do want to turn around and go straight back north to beautiful remote Scotland!
In south west Scotland we have all of the things you describe, in fact its even quieter than the western isles.
The scourge of our country have been conspicuous by their absence this year too, the last heatwave seems to have fried them & the Galloway forest has been blissful without them, long may it continue.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Two things:

If it makes you happy, do it. If it doesn't, then don't.

Personally, I love Scotland. I'm away somewhere every week in the camper and I can't get enough of the place. Yes, there's a bit of questionable weather up here, but some correct clothing sorts that out. The midge may be a pest, but that's what separates the men from the boys. Us tough Scotsmen wear kits with no underwear on and laugh at the midge whilst enjoying the best views and hospitality in the country.

Haste ye back!! (If you want to of course).
Hoping some things will swell up no doubt
Mitch

Dec 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
see you up there after September 1st. Heading for Loch Lomond then on to Gairloch and Ullapool.
Look out out for big bear as I'm heading up to ullapool early September haven't made my mind up wether to then head to Western isles or head on up to Lochinver or lairg to do some fishing, loch Lomond is about 20 mins from where I live

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Look out out for big bear as I'm heading up to ullapool early September haven't made my mind up wether to then head to Western isles or head on up to Lochinver or lairg to do some fishing, loch Lomond is about 20 mins from where I live
Heading for Drymen first to see family then a couple of nights at Cashmel then up to Luss before going really north.

Dec 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
In south west Scotland we have all of the things you describe, in fact its even quieter than the western isles.
The scourge of our country have been conspicuous by their absence this year too, the last heatwave seems to have fried them & the Galloway forest has been blissful without them, long may it continue.
Just passed through your neck of the woods yesterday driving back from Liverpool and was just saying to the wife that we will have to do a week around Stranraer/Isle of whithorn/ gatehouse of fleet etc

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Just passed through your neck of the woods yesterday driving back from Liverpool and was just saying to the wife that we will have to do a week around Stranraer/Isle of whithorn/ gatehouse of fleet etc
Its a lovely area & life moves at a much slower pace, so a few days in the area & you just slow down with it.

Kind regards...Robert.

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Its a lovely area & life moves at a much slower pace, so a few days in the area & you just slow down with it.

Kind regards...Robert.
Where in Ayrshire?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back