Scotland, not my idea of a holiday destination. (1 Viewer)

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Ok, I have a fever and may be a little delirious but bare with me.

I've seen various people mention Scotland as an alternative destination to Europe this year due to the covid situation and I always think 'why bother?'.
If you only ever holiday in the UK then fair enough you might be impressed but if you have ever toured Europe its a little bit mediocre.
If you live down south it takes longer to drive there on over-crowded roads than it does to get to France, and if you live up north then the lake district is closer.
Yes it has mountains but nothing compared to the Alps. It has lochs but again a bit underwhelming once you have been to southern Germany or the Italian lakes.
Castles? yes but again not quite as great as the German ones or the French Chateaux. Thats without taking the unpredictable, mostly GREY weather into account and the bloody (literally once they have had their fill) midgies. I made the mistake of camping in a tent near Perth once, that lasted one night).

Anyway that's my thoughts, I'm sure not everyone will agree.

PS I lived and worked in northern scotland for six years including Skye for a short while so I do have some knowledge.

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
I suppose everywhere has its faults,,I have travelled all over the world and Scotland is still my favourite place to go,,( maybe my Celtic blood),,it is a longish way from down south,but by God it’s worth every minute…

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Itsmcb
I just wish The Dutch, German, and nowadays Chinese, felt the same about Scotland as you do, as there would be lot less vans, especially hire ones blocking the roads, especially on Skye.
LES

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
We’ve just last week returned from two weeks around Scotland and the Hebrides. Loved it, no crowds actually very few people anywhere we went. Very little traffic, loads of wildlife. Beautiful scenery everywhere we went.
Unfortunately we are going the other way in August, South. To say I’m not looking forward to that trip is an understatement. It’s a family holiday so our presence is required otherwise there’s no way I would be going. Dorset for five nights really doesn’t appeal to me. Too crowded, too much traffic, I don’t think there’s a mountain in the whole county. Some of us are having a day sea kayaking which sounds fun but other than that I’m more looking forward to heading back North at the end of it. Perhaps staying at a couple of pub stops on the way back up.
So whilst I do understand the OP not particularly liking Scotland I’m pretty much the opposite as I like the lack of people and traffic and buildings.
Luckily we all like different things, otherwise we’d all be parked at the same place.

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp

I've seen various people mention Scotland as an alternative destination to Europe this year due to the covid situation and I always think 'why bother?'.
If you only ever holiday in the UK then fair enough you might be impressed but if you have ever toured Europe its a little bit mediocre.
If you live down south it takes longer to drive there on over-crowded roads than it does to get to France, and if you live up north then the lake district is closer.
Yes it has mountains but nothing compared to the Alps. It has lochs but again a bit underwhelming once you have been to southern Germany or the Italian lakes.
Castles? yes but again not quite as great as the German ones or the French Chateaux. Thats without taking the unpredictable, mostly GREY weather into account and the bloody (literally once they have had their fill) midgies. I made the mistake of camping in a tent near Perth once, that lasted one night).

PS I lived and worked in northern scotland for six years including Skye for a short while so I do have some knowledge.
Got to agree it's over rated and I live Scotland. My idea of 2 weeks traveling in the mountains is 20 hours drive to the Alps. Aviemore and Glenmore is good for a weekend and one of my favourites when I'm not in Europe but I have not been able to book a weekend there because everyone is doing what wee Krankie is saying and having a staycation. I really can't wait until the end of July to get out this damp dreary country.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Maybe emigration to Europe might be an option for you 🤔😂

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
We’ve just last week returned from two weeks around Scotland and the Hebrides. Loved it, no crowds actually very few people anywhere we went. Very little traffic, loads of wildlife. Beautiful scenery everywhere we went.
Unfortunately we are going the other way in August, South. To say I’m not looking forward to that trip is an understatement. It’s a family holiday so our presence is required otherwise there’s no way I would be going. Dorset for five nights really doesn’t appeal to me. Too crowded, too much traffic, I don’t think there’s a mountain in the whole county. Some of us are having a day sea kayaking which sounds fun but other than that I’m more looking forward to heading back North at the end of it. Perhaps staying at a couple of pub stops on the way back up.
So whilst I do understand the OP not particularly liking Scotland I’m pretty much the opposite as I like the lack of people and traffic and buildings.
Luckily we all like different things, otherwise we’d all be parked at the same place.
Please don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Scotland at all. The people are lovely (my wife is Scottish), I enjoyed living there and have been back to visit several times. Its just that the scenery isnt as 'wonderful' as some places I've been.

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Try Alberta or BC the Alps dont seem that fantastic after :)

There you go, exactly my point. Travel the trans-Canada highway and the Alps won't seem so impressive. Visit the Alps and the Highlands won't seem as.........high. Not really relevant but strangely I remember that -30c in Canada feels warmer than -1c in Aviemore !

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
How human beings can be strange.... You have curls you want straight hair, you have blue eyes you wish you had black ones... and so on! I have lived in France my whole life or nearly. I didn't visit all of France, but still, since I am 11 years old I have been dreaming of Scotland. I finally went there twice. Plane, train, bus, a beautiful manor ... haggis...and I only wish to go back . I love the fog on the lochs, I like the mystery of the scottish battles punctuated by the drums in the distance and the music of both Robert Burns's poetry, and bag pipes. Alps will never make me dream the same way. I've been on the Lochness once with rain, and once with sun... and I prefer it with the rain. The ruins of the Urquhart Castle are so moving.
We all seem to never really be happy with what we have.....

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Scotland is beautiful but the weather can be a tad unreliable and the bloody midges : and I live up here
Far rather be in the Alps with views like this
7110FCA9-F1DE-46C0-AFF6-CEB06E78569A.jpeg

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As the saying goes beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Wonder why we're spending over 100 nights out and about in Scotland this year?:unsure:

Apart from that would rather support our local economy through \ following recent challenges rather than supporting what a number of Funsters call "the intransigent EU" but can't wait to get over there.:whistle2:;)

Oct 28, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Van
Exp
18 years
Please don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Scotland at all. The people are lovely (my wife is Scottish), I enjoyed living there and have been back to visit several times. Its just that the scenery isnt as 'wonderful' as some places I've been.
Nah! Stop digging! The damage is done and Nicola's been telt.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
How human beings can be strange.... You have curls you want straight hair, you have blue eyes you wish you had black ones... and so on! I have lived in France my whole life or nearly. I didn't visit all of France, but still, since I am 11 years old I have been dreaming of Scotland. I finally went there twice. Plane, train, bus, a beautiful manor ... haggis...and I only wish to go back . I love the fog on the lochs, I like the mystery of the scottish battles punctuated by the drums in the distance and the music of both Robert Burns's poetry, and bag pipes. Alps will never make me dream the same way. I've been on the Lochness once with rain, and once with sun... and I prefer it with the rain. The ruins of the Urquhart Castle are so moving.
Could be why I live in the Correze ! Not as cold as my homeland but very familiar to a Scot .

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Spot on!

My way is to head north in summer,south in winter.

Some lovely places in Dorset,but last time we went it was just soooo busy.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Same for us. Lots of stopovers in lovely places. Facilities for MHs easily found. We are heading off to the Lake District tomorrow for a midweek break. Planned to visit one of my favourite places there, Rydal Water but won’t be staying there long, parking now £2/hr. The most we paid in Scotland was £10 a night, once on a CL and once in an honesty box on a beach car park with a toilet. Never paid for daytime parking. Roll on September when the schools are back and will definitely be heading North.

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Microsoft used it as one of their desktop backgrounds in (I think) Windows 7. Slightly different angle though.
Its Dunnotttar castle just south of Aberdeen so if Monzer took this photo he/she/they must have gotten up early because that's the dawn to the east and I'll bet they were wearing a good coat !

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Variety is the spice of life. I prefer the Scottish lochs (despite the midges) to the English lakes although I have had wonderful holidays at both. Love the Italian lakes, but then I am happiest being near water, be it loch, lake, sea, river, even a canal will do, put it down to having the river Irvine almost on my doorstep as a child. Have been to Canada too, the mountains there are also spectacular, but all are different and all have their merits, rgarding midges they ar little blighters, but have never needed medical treatment after been bitten by them, wish same could be said for some of the biters I have encountered elsewhere.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Its Dunnotttar castle just south of Aberdeen so if Monzer took this photo he/she/they must have gotten up early because that's the dawn to the east and I'll bet they were wearing a good coat !
Yip, just south of Stonehaven and was in a tee-shirt and shorts the last time I was there!

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
This is one of the most beautiful posts I’ve read on here. You’re right. You are so lucky in France and I can’t wait to visit again - but I also love being here in Scotland. First world problems. We are so so lucky 🍀
C349446E-AF1B-4CF8-B00C-228599DD5FF3.jpeg
357705F4-7AB1-4318-A32F-7E5A7DF16930.jpeg

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back