since 2006 ( I think ! )
thinking of getting a smart telly
Here is what I am looking for.
24" size
HD
2 x usb sockets
12v
Wifi

No chance of it being an Avtex ( unless it is free so I can flog it and buy a de end one ! LOL )

I have no idea if the above list can be filled , but welcome any suggestions

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
For some reason I am reminded of the lady I happened to be walking along the road with on a campsite in Portugal. They had what looked like a brand new moho.. So after exchanging pleasantries I asked if they'd had it long and if they liked it, as you do to pass the time ..... Well I don't know really she says. It's the first one we've owned - but since it was the only one we could fit a 60 inch TV in, we simply didn't have a choice.

I do believe I had to retrace my steps to retrieve my chin .....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
For some reason I am reminded of the lady I happened to be walking along the road with on a campsite in Portugal. They had what looked like a brand new moho.. So after exchanging pleasantries I asked if they'd had it long and if they liked it, as you do to pass the time ..... Well I don't know really she says. It's the first one we've owned - but since it was the only one we could fit a 60 inch TV in, we simply didn't have a choice.

I do believe I had to retrace my steps to retrieve my chin .....
We had the same problem getting our Bentley to fit into a motorhome !

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Most Flat screen T-V`s will work from an Inverter,(y) Preferably FULL sine wave. :DSo off to Currys. :D (other retailers are available!):D2. Dedicated 12V ones are harder to source. I got one about 2 years ago from a Market Stall which has DVD HDMI USB Runs on 12v. et-al. for about £90. But it is Only 15". still works OK, but the viewing angle is critical. The AVTEC ones are the "Dog`s Dangles" but the Prices!!!!!.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Cello do a few but no wifi picture is ok but sound is crap
I was considering changing to a Samsung a very nice piece of kit
And I believe they are 14 volt and you can get a dc dc converter quite cheaply of fleabay so should draw less power than a invertor ?
I was was wondering whether it would run direct of hab batterys at 12 volt ?

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
I've just installed the 22" Finlux jobbie, full HD but not "smart", dvd player that's those beer mat sort of things, 12v. £139 delivered in two days by Mr DPD. The Finlux was getting rave reviews a wee while back. Seems very adequate but not fully road tested, so !!
I have a "smart" big Samsung one at home but since we got Sky Q (son is paying :sneaky: ) we never use the Smart bit now. Not a hell of a lot on TV to be smart about ?

I was wondering if 12v would run a Samsung 14v too, If it meant you only got half the soaps then it would but have been a goer ! Bitten the bullet with a Finlux now. ;)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Most Flat screen T-V`s will work from an Inverter,(y) Preferably FULL sine wave. :DSo off to Currys. :D (other retailers are available!):D2. Dedicated 12V ones are harder to source. I got one about 2 years ago from a Market Stall which has DVD HDMI USB Runs on 12v. et-al. for about £90. But it is Only 15". still works OK, but the viewing angle is critical. The AVTEC ones are the "Dog`s Dangles" but the Prices!!!!!.

Forget inverters.. Hate them with a passion due to the massive inefficiencies they all suffer.
Hence the specific 12v thing :)

Having had a few Avtecs, all of which failed just out of warranty, and been quoted silly stupid repair costs, I will not be entertaining another any time soon

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I would get one that doesn't work, there's :swear2: all worth watching anyway!

Craig

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
I always get my TVs from Amazon.... good choice and reviews from users..and good value (don't use the word cheap anymore) (y) :D

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
thinking of getting a smart telly
Here is what I am looking for.
24" size
HD
2 x usb sockets
12v
Wifi

No chance of it being an Avtex ( unless it is free so I can flog it and buy a de end one ! LOL )

I have no idea if the above list can be filled , but welcome any suggestions
I've got a 22" Finlux which has been great, just taken out of my old van before trading in... but its not WiFi/smart (get a dongle?) & only 1x USB.

I was going to say make me an offer as new van has an Avtex 18" included but your last line got me thinking I might swap out the Avtex & flog it.
...but can recommend Finlux if you can get the spec you want.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Others have mentioned Finlux too @Langtoftlad .. I will take a look.
Currently have a 22" Cello.. Same spec as your Finlux.. Been absolutely spot on for the two years we have owned it but want to upgrade

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
@Jaws
We've got a Finlux as well John bought it 2 years ago not sure what gizmos its got as thats not my thing but its definitely got USBs HD and 12v its a great tv. My lad bought one for his van recently after the crappy Avtex that came with it packed in for the 3rd time and he raves about it.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Looks like Finlux is deserving of a further look :)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Bought two of these for the caravan...

Dunno if it is smart............ but it is clever... :giggler:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Bought two of these for the caravan...

Dunno if it is smart............ but it is clever... :giggler:
But it ain't HD, only HD ready...

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
I would get one that doesn't work, there's :swear2: all worth watching anyway!

Craig
Well said Craig! We don't have one and never miss it when we are away. Books, crosswords, listening to music and the radio, not to mention parleying with the natives keeps us occupied and avoids all the nonsense of inverters, satellite dishes etc. Much less hassle.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Been looking for ages for a 12-14 volt one. The camper ones like avtex and cello look and are crap, all plasticy and really old tech (viewing angles what? no in plane switching? Oh and a TOTAL ripoff price wise. (I'm seeing a sales pitch that tells of upgraded components and high durability due to it being on the road)

I got a big inverter but dont want to run TV off it want 12v. So far I have had no luck.

Cant find a Finlux under 40 inch on the web

Last edited:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We have considered just getting rid of the standard TV completely, and instead buying a Chrysler TV 8 Nuclear Powered Tank. Massive advantages over a standard TV, for instance, you can be part of of your very own terrorist news story's, instead of just watching someone else's. And, the only news story guaranteed to push a President Trump repeating headline back down the viewing charts.
Imagine arriving at your chosen CC site, sliding this baby off the trailer, and going off into town to cause mayhem. (y) Imagine the look of horror as you crush 'Traffic Cops Rule' cars with gay abandon, or churn up Monty Don's latest gardening project, fire your 90mm gun at arriving SKY News vans, or even run over huge obstacles, such as Dianne Abbott, with ease! :) And, you will never have to stop for fuel! (y)

Chrysler-TV-8-tank-1-730x400.jpg

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Well said Craig! We don't have one and never miss it when we are away. Books, crosswords, listening to music and the radio, not to mention parleying with the natives keeps us occupied and avoids all the nonsense of inverters, satellite dishes etc. Much less hassle.
I couldn't agree more. Much nicer without a goggle box.

Craig

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We've got one of these,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19-12V-Mo...282670?hash=item3f57e0b06e:g:9B4AAOSwnipWVwK3

fitted under our bar like a beauty and seems to work a treat but we don't have a satellite dish (yet.... Only criticism is the sound is lousy so get some 12v speakers or cable it to your van radio aux in but otherwise it works a treat.

Very nice but I want to upgrade, not go smaller with less facilities :)

If I wanted a hassle free life I would not even consider owning a motorhome...
Why not settle for a pair of good boots and some cardboard boxes ? :LOL::D2
We are both prolific readers and as a good many on here will no doubt testify, I can talk the hind legs off a donkey..
Given we average about 8 months a year in the van ( not all at once you understand ) we like to have options...
For instance, I carry our metal detectors, often carry one or more drones, usually devote quite some time web site developing while Woman likes to sew and to some extent carry on her horticultural studies..

To say having a telly is a hassle is like saying having refillable gas a hassle, or having an awning a hassle..
In the purest sense it is a solid argument, but from different perspectives ? It just does not hold water :)

So we will continue our quest for a 24" 12v smart telly.. At least for the time being...but still avoid all things inverter !! LOL !

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Forget inverters.. Hate them with a passion due to the massive inefficiencies they all suffer.
Hence the specific 12v thing :)

Having had a few Avtecs, all of which failed just out of warranty, and been quoted silly stupid repair costs, I will not be entertaining another any time soon
Get the cello traveller no WiFi but great for everything else you wanted.and blue tooth so you can pair a sound bar to it for better sound ..and the price .under £200 . Roy

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Get the cello traveller no WiFi but great for everything else you wanted.and blue tooth so you can pair a sound bar to it for better sound ..and the price .under £200 . Roy
That is excellent !
I now have a goal to aim for and shall start searching for one as soon as get back to the uk :)

Thank you (y)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well that's a bugger .. Just checked and all the ones I can find are HD ready, not HD.

Have you found one that is HD perchance Roy ?

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
I think this is what was being suggested at the link which seems to suggest it is full HD. We have the 19" Cello Traveller II and very happy with it.

You mentioned WiFi enabled - have you thought of a Firestick which plugs into the HDMI socket and essentially gives the TV access to all sorts of streaming media and you can 'side load' Kodi if you want to. Loads of stuff on t'internet about it if you want some bedside reading!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back