Public perception (1 Viewer)

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
For every make of car there is an owners forum.
I wonder if they have the same discussions on there “”Don’t shit up on the moors or in the beach” “Don’t leave loads of litter around,, ??

The answer will be no, because they don’t think it’s a problem, if you are of the mind to do these things then whatever hobby you have or whatever you do in life you are going to cause problems.
You're absolutely right, but this isn't so much of an owner's forum as it is a "hobby" forum. I wasn't trying to suggest at all that we start making associations or lists of rules for new owners or anything like that. Just that we do, just maybe, need to try and put ourselves into the shoes of complete novices when they come here asking questions and guide them, gently and politely, into what is and isn't acceptable if they are in any doubt at all.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Did anyone else read this and think either, a bit of exaggeration, or slight vendetta bias?

I know stuff goes on but for him to witness / be told about all this is a day or so ???

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Maybe you're right, maybe we really do need to educate our members. Because maybe newbies don't know that it's not OK to dump on the beach Maybe they think strewing litter everywhere is OK, and they need guiding as to the right way of doing things. I'll start an education program...

Don't throw litter out of your van into the hedge
Don't mug old ladies
Don't shit on the beach
Don't rob post offices
Don't drop grey into carparks
Don't speed on motorways
Don't empty your cassettes on grass verges
Elbows off the table

How about a simple 10 commandments
Laminated to put in your window, with a QR code.
With the intention that every motorhome shows that 'we' are not one of 'them'

Thou shall not .......

So what are the top 10 ?
Dump rubbish other than in bins
dump cassettes (or poo bags, be they human or dog)
dump grey water on the roadside
Occupy more than two parking spaces (may need some careful wording)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
How about a simple 10 commandments
Laminated to put in your window, with a QR code.
With the intention that every motorhome shows that 'we' are not one of 'them'

Thou shall not .......

So what are the top 10 ?
Dump rubbish other than in bins
dump cassettes (or poo bags, be they human or dog)
dump grey water on the roadside
Occupy more than two parking spaces (may need some careful wording)

See my post above, we could easily do that.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You're absolutely right, but this isn't so much of an owner's forum as it is a "hobby" forum. I wasn't trying to suggest at all that we start making associations or lists of rules for new owners or anything like that. Just that we do, just maybe, need to try and put ourselves into the shoes of complete novices when they come here asking questions and guide them, gently and politely, into what is and isn't acceptable if they are in any doubt at all.
As much as I hate to say this but the people who you want to educate don't want to be educated and will just throw it back in your face.
As far as they are concerned, their way is the right one, and they aren't concerned about other people at all.
No use telling folks on here who already know this.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Jim I'm not sure what I have done to warrant your replies moving from this
We could set up a Responsible Motorhomer page that explains we are self sufficient, can go a minium of three or four days says without emptying tanks, we take out litter home etc. Then have a corresponding Responsible Sticker on the van with maybe a QR code to scan that takes you to the page.
to this
Feel free to start an education campaign for not throwing shit on the beach or littering the countryside. I'll guess though that the stupid people you need to reach won't be interested in it. .

Next to most piles of dog shit, are signs saying pick it up, Same with don't litter signs. People speed past 30mph signs at 40, and they've had to pass a test.
Again, I don't know what I am supposed to have done here that has seemingly annoyed you so? My original post was complimentary both of this forum and its members, stating that I was educated both in the technical aspects of owning a motorhome as a first time owner as well as some of the more "lifestyle" aspects. If I have somehow offended either you personally or the forum that you have created, then please allow me to offer my apologies to you.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
As much as I hate to say this but the people who you want to educate don't want to be educated and will just throw it back in your face.
As far as they are concerned, their way is the right one, and they aren't concerned about other people at all.
No use telling folks on here who already know this.
Too true… and the ones that are doing it won’t be on a forum because they already know it all…

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sounds like a busy tourist area, so why not build a toilet block for the tourists.
Theres a toilet block at morar beach .... doesn't stop the campers crapping on the beach or in the bushes. You used to even be able to empty a cassette in the toilets discretely ...but these days with the amount of abuse that area gets i can't see it still being possible . Ive not been up that way now since 2017 as its been ruined by too many folk

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Too true… and the ones that are doing it won’t be on a forum because they already know it all…
In the main, I know and I agree. One thread sticks out...they were a new member who wanted to rip out their cassette toilet and install a composting one in the belief they could just drop the bags anywhere as it would be all lively and sterile. I can't remember the OP's name but i do remember it was Minxy Girl who was, seemingly desperately at times, trying to convince her otherwise.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jim I'm not sure what I have done to warrant your replies moving from this

to this

One is a sign that is educating the public, telling them you are a responsible owner. The other is futile quest to educate a few idiots who think its OK to dump shit in a hedge. Alegedly.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have lived my entire life, other than working away, within a few miles of the Dorset and Hampshire coastline and in the New Forest. I can state as absolute fact that visitors in general are disgusting with no thought or concern about the way they abuse the beautiful environment they are visiting.

Fact, out of season the litter problem and human waste drops to nearly none. Although some areas near fast food outlets remain a blackspot for the great unwashed masses to treat as a dump and personal toilet. Our council tax bill in part is so high because we all subsidise these lazy Neanderthals and pay teams to clear up behind them daily. I don't recall how many hundred tonnes of rubbish and waste is collected daily from the beaches along the front from Poole to Christchurch, but it is staggering. Regardless of the number of dustbins provided, most is simply abandoned where people have enjoyed their day on the golden sands.

The fact the beaches are clean the next morning just reinforces this behaviour.

Don't get me started about the continual abuse in the forest, with animals being killed by trying to eat rubbish left behind. Some areas are so bad that they look like a landfill site. Made even worse by the scum fly tippers.

I had cause to shout at one of my grandsons who just dropped a lolly wrapper on the floor and my son-in-law was very upset that I had upset the boy. He just could not get it that his attitude was being passed onto his kids and that dropping litter was disgusting behaviour. My daughter and I later took all the grand kids litter picking. They were all upset about the amount of mess and we explained it was people with the attitude of their father that caused all the mess. They now behave much better and will tell their dad of if he is lazy and drops litter, shaming him

All these snowflakes protesting about the environment should take a long hard look at the mess they leave behind as well, bloody hypocrites

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I have lived my entire life, other than working away, within a few miles of the Dorset and Hampshire coastline and in the New Forest. I can state as absolute fact that visitors in general are disgusting with now thought or concern about the way they abuse the beautiful environment they are visiting. Fact, out of season the litter problem and human waste drops to nearly none. Although some areas near fast food outlets remain a blackspot for the great unwashed masses to treat as a dump and personal toilet. Our council tax bill in part is so high because we all subsidise these lazy Neanderthals and pay teams to clear up behind them daily. I don't recall how many hundred tonnes of rubbish and waste is collected daily from the beaches along the front from Poole to Christchurch, but it is staggering. Regardless of the number of dustbins provided, most is simply abandoned where people have enjoyed their day on the golden sands.

The fact the beaches are clean the next morning just reinforces this behaviour.

Don't get me started about the continual abuse in the forest, with animals being killed by trying to eat rubbish left behind. Some areas are so bad that they look like a landfill site. Made even worse by the scum fly tippers.

I had cause to shout at one of my grandsons who just dropped a lolly wrapper on the floor and my son-in-law was very upset that I had upset the boy. He just could not get it that his attitude was being passed onto his kids and that dropping litter was disgusting behaviour. My daughter and I later took all the grand kids litter picking. They were all upset about the amount of mess and we explained it was people with the attitude of their father that caused all the mess. They now behave much better and will tell their dad of if he is lazy and drops litter, shaming him

All these snowflakes protesting about the environment should take a long hard look at the mess they leave behind as well, bloody hypocrites
Would you say it is mainly people in cars or motorhomes responsible for the disgraceful mess you describe?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Would you say it is mainly people in cars or motorhomes responsible for the disgraceful mess you describe?
Cars, by a massive majority, although there are many disgusting slobs in motorhomes dumping litter out of the window etc

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Maybe you're right, maybe we really do need to educate our members. Because maybe newbies don't know that it's not OK to dump on the beach Maybe they think strewing litter everywhere is OK, and they need guiding as to the right way of doing things. I'll start an education program...

Don't throw litter out of your van into the hedge
Don't mug old ladies
Don't shit on the beach
Don't rob post offices
Don't drop grey into carparks
Don't speed on motorways
Don't empty your cassettes on grass verges
Elbows off the table
Don't talk with food in your mouth
Look at your clothes before you put them on, if there is yesterdays food stuck to the front of it, don't wear it
Don't park next to 10 foot long NO PARKING signs at Van Bitz
If there are three spaces don't park at 45 degrees in the middle one!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Motorhome Owners and Users Support and Education = MOUSE
Association of Responsible Motorhomers = ARM
Responsible Owner Association for Motorhomers = ROAM
I wouldn't join anything that name was mouse!

I would display a ticket saying "Don't Panic I'm not a selfish TWAT"

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Again, I don't know what I am supposed to have done here that has seemingly annoyed you so?

I'm not in the slightest annoyed I just disagree with you about us having to educate people in such basic things, if those people are the type who might think it's OK to crap on the beach, nothing you or I say to them will make a blind bit of difference, as for highjacking threads, yes maybe it's their fault for not taking the time to tell them.
guiding them in the "right" way of doing things, not highjacking threads to argue about whether or not grey waste is good or bad for plants or how much SOGs are loved or hated.

BTW, grey water is harmless, thousands of litres a year are dumped in my hedges, just makes for bigger blackberries and juicier plums :D

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
When we drive to Bishop Auckland 15 miles away for shopping, there is a McDonald’s, KFC, Starbucks, Costa all together.
The disgraceful mess around is shocking so much so they have closed one lay-by now which was used just to park in, eat, drink and window down. You couldn’t see the road surface for rubbish it was that bad.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
So what would the 10 commandments be ?
What the 10 commandments are and the exact wording of each one would need to be put to the members

Commandments are so first century.

I had an idea more of an information page for anyone interested , outlining a few points, like the vans self sufficient capabilities and that we take our litter and poo home etc.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
How About something like below as a first pass of the 10 motorhome commandments
(Laminated card for the window with QR code, with MotorhomeFun logo)

This is a Motorhome, not a campervan.
It is equipped with it's own toilet and shower and is driven by a responsible owners:

1 We take only pictures and leave only tracks
2 We do not leave any rubbish other than in designated places
3 We do not dump waste other than in designated places
4 We do not light fires or have disposable BBQ's

What are the other pet hates for which we could get blamed ?
Parking ? Awnings ? Move on after one night ?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Commandments are so first century.

I had an idea more of an information page for anyone interested , outlining a few points, like the vans self sufficient capabilities and that we take our litter and poo home etc.
Agreed, but it's the general public we are trying to inform, the QR code could take you to the fuller version of the motor homing 'bible'
I think something very simple is required to be visible on lots of vans, which will encourage others to show which side of the fence they sit on to dump

Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
As MotorhomeFun we are self contained, but there are more and more VW type campervans being sold as lifestyle vehicles that do not have toilet facilities etc. These are often to be seen ‘wilding’ near beaches, I am not sure what they do, but in the public perception they are all ‘motorhomes’

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
BTW, grey water is harmless, thousands of litres a year are dumped in my hedges, just makes for bigger blackberries and juicier plums :D
I know that.
You know that.
Most here would agree with that.

The thread is titled "public perception". Do you think that your "average Joe" who knows nothing about motorhomes, let alone the difference between grey waste and black waste and the various storage tanks and means that motorhomes use, knows that?

Or does he just see a motorhome that has litres and litres of (sometimes) not very nice looking or smelling liquid pouring out of the bottom of it and assume the worst?

Think back to the thread where some idiot YouTube "pranksters" filmed themselves dumping grey waste they had coloured to look like urine down a public drain and then think to the outrage that film caused here due to the damage it could and probably did do to the reputation of motorhome owners and users. Its no different at all. What people THINK it is matters, in a way, just as much as what it ACTUALLY is. At least in this context.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
No toilet? a bucket lined with a plastic bag is a convenient and easy solution and far more hygienic for all concerned

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The thread is titled "public perception". Do you think that your "average Joe" who knows nothing about motorhomes, let alone the difference between grey waste and black waste and the various storage tanks and means that motorhomes use, knows that?

Or does he just see a motorhome that has litres and litres of (sometimes) not very nice looking or smelling liquid pouring out of the bottom of it and assume the worst?

You are conflating two things, the public who might not even know that motorhomes have black tanks; and the uncaring, selfish idiot who empties a cassette in sand dunes. We can try to educate the former. It's already too late for the latter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back