Public perception (1 Viewer)

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
You are conflating two things, the public who might not even know that motorhomes have black tanks; and the uncaring, selfish idiot who empties a cassette in sand dunes. We can try to educate the former. It's already too late for the latter.
I am as they are, again in the context of this thread, inextricably linked. If someone sees a vile mound of human waste in a sand dune, and then minutes later sees a motorhome emptying the contents of their grey tank, what assumption do you think they are likely to jump to?

I'm not trying to start a campaign or a crusade to inform idiots Jim. All I was attempting to say in my original post was that we, as a group of like-minded motorhome users, ensure that we are doing our part to help new users. We already do so, and I stated quite clearly that I was a recipient of this help when I first joined this forum. This "education" is making sure that new owners aren't confused by mixing up the meaning of grey and black waste (which, again, we already do) as well as helping people who do want to try "wild camping" by giving them suggestions as to where they can safely and responsibly dump the various wastes that are inevitable. Here, I'll even give some suggestions right now:

1 - Self-service "jet wash" type car washes are great for dumping grey waste. They legally have to go into a sewer system (at least in Poland where I live), you can get at least your cab area nice and shiny (which also will rinse the are with nice soapy water) and you are putting a little money into the local area.

2 - Always use either the green toilet liquid as it means you are certain, as can be the owners, that any septic tank type system won't be harmed by your using it to dump your black waste.

3 - In Poland, before many rest areas/ service stations (certainly on the main A-roads and motorways) you will see a sign listing the various facilities. If you see the big "WC" sign with a smaller "Bus" legend on the same white background, it means that there will be a place where you can safely dump both your grey and your black waste. Normally there will also be drinking water as well. It is becoming more common to see the small blue "camper service points" at these, although many still have a small steel flap for you to open in order to dump. Both your grey and black go down the same hole.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Maybe you're right, maybe we really do need to educate our members. Because maybe newbies don't know that it's not OK to dump on the beach Maybe they think strewing litter everywhere is OK, and they need guiding as to the right way of doing things. I'll start an education program...

Don't throw litter out of your van into the hedge
Don't mug old ladies
Don't shit on the beach
Don't rob post offices
Don't drop grey into carparks
Don't speed on motorways
Don't empty your cassettes on grass verges
Elbows off the table
I suspect your excellent education programme would be better aimed at NON members 😁

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
The following has been copied from a Scottish Motorhoming page and is from a local artist. It does not make good reading.
Im not saying anyone of my fellow funsters would indulge in this behaviour however I believe that if we are prepared to name and shame whenever we come across this kind of behaviour we may go some way towards eradicating it.

Bill

THE UGLY TRUTH.

I’m sorry for this post but it is absolutely necessary, and it’s my responsibility as someone who promotes the west coast of Scotland, to make you aware of this situation.

I’ve taken so many photos over the weekend that I’ve yet to share. Why have I not? Because I’m struggling. I’m struggling with what I’ve witnessed here in Arisaig and Morar.

The 37 caravans and motorhomes parked on the fragile machair at the roadside of Traigh yesterday. The dozens of cars and campervans parked so badly at the GREY sands of Morar, obstructing traffic and not having a care in the world about anyone other than themselves.

The dirty, dirty campers defecating on the beach, in front of people who have looked forward to staying in this picturesque part of the world for two years. They came to walk the silver sands of Morar and they look nothing like what they had known or imagined. There are tents everywhere and our neighbour bumped into a female on the beach at the weekend and totally unashamedly she said, Oh I’m just off down the beach to have a poo. 😳 It is an absolute disgrace.

The lack of disrespect and the ignorance shown by these visitors to not only the beautiful landscape here, but to the people who live here, is abhorrent. Public toilets have been put in place at Traigh, thanks to local crowdfunding, and now the person who cleaned these facilities has resigned because they couldn’t tolerate the abuse any more.

There are 32 burnt areas of grassland at the verge of these beautiful beaches. The legislation from the Scottish government does not prohibit fires and so the ignoramuses think it’s ok to do it. People are taking down local crofters’ fence posts to burn so they can have a fire on the beach.

I have spent most of today speaking to Police Scotland and to the Highland Council. They are trying to do what they can to control the situation, but until people stop turning up unplanned like this, and the Scottish Government steps in and listens to the changes needed to the legislation, this picturesque area will be ruined.

This wouldn’t be necessary if people behaved with decency. If campsites are full, you don’t just turn up and obstruct roads by parking where you want to park. You go somewhere else. If you want to wild camp, you don’t do so by the roadside. You climb a hill far away from anyone. You take away absolutely everything with you. You don’t throw a disposable bbq, which hasn’t been properly distinguished, in a public bin and subsequently set it on fire.

I understand how badly people want to go on holiday, how badly they want to be somewhere beautiful like this. What I don’t understand is this kind of shocking behaviour. It is not your right to roam irresponsibly wherever you want. It is not your right to make local residents’ lives a misery.

So, if I don’t give the exact location of where I am, there is very good reason. There are very few hidden gems left in this part of the world and we don’t need a megaphone to tell everyone exactly where they are.

Explore only with respect for others and for the local area. If you don’t agree, please find another page to follow, as you are not welcome here. To everyone else, I’m sorry to have to share this with you. Scotland has always been one of the most beautiful countries in the world, and with your respect, will remain so. 💙
This is plastered all over FB, but if you study the pics there are very few Motorhomes, it is mainly the people using tents who seem to be the problem, but as usual we are blamed,
90 / 10 rule still applies

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: Jim

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
8c64c378-bdb7-45e9-8ad1-bf62fa0eb699.jpg

Motorhomers ?

41168154-0-image-a-32_1617183048582.jpg

Motorhomers ?

rome-litter-1.jpg

Motorhomers ?

Campers = Motorhomers = Travellers = trouble

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
8c64c378-bdb7-45e9-8ad1-bf62fa0eb699.jpg

Motorhomers ?

41168154-0-image-a-32_1617183048582.jpg

Motorhomers ?

rome-litter-1.jpg

Motorhomers ?

Campers = Motorhomers = Travellers = trouble
Yes it seems that motorhomes and campers are an easy target. I saw the same in Spain, Portugal and in greece where lots of objections to vans parking places supposedly down to rubbish but no object to the literally thousands of day visitors in cars ...leaving crap , tissue, wipes etc in bushes or the BBQ, bottles, cans often chairs and windbreaks on the beaches etc. I don't see them banning all visitors to the beaches .

Its unfair at best.

Not sure of the answer but i see both sides of the argument. I think the waste left by these idiots is disgusting ....but i think its discrimination to ban campers only from these places

Which does lead me to believe a lot of the bad publicity serves other means ...ie no wildcamping off sites etc

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I asked this person to publish his pictures, has anyone seen them? disgusting if true.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yes it seems that motorhomes and campers are an easy target. I saw the same in Spain, Portugal and in greece where lots of objections to vans parking places supposedly down to rubbish but no object to the literally thousands of day visitors in cars ...leaving crap , tissue, wipes etc in bushes or the BBQ, bottles, cans often chairs and windbreaks on the beaches etc. I don't see them banning all visitors to the beaches .

Its unfair at best.

Not sure of the answer but i see both sides of the argument. I think the waste left by these idiots is disgusting ....but i think its discrimination to ban campers only from these places

Which does lead me to believe a lot of the bad publicity serves other means ...ie no wildcamping off sites etc
Yes fully agree, it makes me wonder too if some of it is put around by certain people wanting everyone to just use campsites.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
In the main, I know and I agree. One thread sticks out...they were a new member who wanted to rip out their cassette toilet and install a composting one in the belief they could just drop the bags anywhere as it would be all lively and sterile. I can't remember the OP's name but i do remember it was Minxy Girl who was, seemingly desperately at times, trying to convince her otherwise.
Yes it got extremely frustrating at times ... you can give the info as much as possible but some simply will not take it in.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
BTW, grey water is harmless, thousands of litres a year are dumped in my hedges, just makes for bigger blackberries and juicier plums :D
... and olives!:giggle:

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
How many motorhome owners carry disposable BBQs. Ever seen anyone with them? No neither have I. How may car goers with a coolbox of beer and 6 frozen burgers use these things, most every one of them

Add to that the customary heresay about poo on the beach and all you have left is another shit stirring anti-motorhome article full of fabrication.

Motorhomers are not shitting in public on the beach when they have a perfectly good toilet in their motorhome.

I get what you are saying Jim, however I wrote the below in a thread back in Nov 2019 about the closure of West Beach overnight parking at Hayling Island.

Used to park up and/or stay at Hayling quite often.

Was always gobsmacked at the number of motorhomes which went out of their way to avoid paying the £15 fee, left their rubbish blowing around, dropped grey water on the carpark so the windsurfers had to walk through it and the one motorhomer who first thing in the morning couldnt be bothered to walk the two minutes to the public toilets so pee'd against the picnic benches.

Not at all surprised they banned overnight parking.

Personally don't get the revenue argument as I don't believe people who overnighted in west beach carpark fed any more wealth into the community than the ones who stay on the Hayling area campsites. But appreciate others will think otherwise.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Did anyone else read this and think either, a bit of exaggeration, or slight vendetta bias?

I know stuff goes on but for him to witness / be told about all this is a day or so ???
The author of the piece lives there, so the article isn't about what they saw during a two day visit.
I asked this person to publish his pictures, has anyone seen them? disgusting if true.
The author DID post about half a dozen supporting pictures on another forum - sorry I can't remember which one as I read lots, specifically because they'd had feedback basically calling them a liar (which doesn't help the perception of MH/camper users either, because it simply reinforces in people's minds that the MH/campervan community defends disgraceful, unhygienic and/or selfish behaviour by others, however few that may be, rather than saying it's unacceptable) - and stated that a picture of someone defecating on the beach had been passed (no pun intended) to the local police.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Spent some time looking for the photos too, but there are so many places they could have been posted.
No way do I condone such behaviour, no matter who is responsible. Once picked up some chippy debris and put it through the window of the car whose occupants had put it in the road. Too lazy to get out the car and put it in the bin. Not sure i would be so brave now but was incensed at the time.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Could there be a case for some sort of responsible motorhome owners association to promote the better attitudes in our hobby. Not foolproof I know but collectively we have a better chance of improving perception than individually
If you look through the threads on here you will find Jim is doing just that😊

Oct 22, 2020
God's Own County
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H592
Exp
Since 2018
Tombola said:
I know stuff goes on but for him to witness / be told about all this is a day or so ???

Tonks said:
The author of the piece lives there, so the article isn't about what they saw during a two day visit.

Just for the record, he is in fact a she, and Hope Blamire is currently staying in the Arisaig area, south of Mallaig but actually lives in Bath

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Spent some time looking for the photos too, but there are so many places they could have been posted.
No way do I condone such behaviour, no matter who is responsible. Once picked up some chippy debris and put it through the window of the car whose occupants had put it in the road. Too lazy to get out the car and put it in the bin. Not sure i would be so brave now but was incensed at the time.
The artist is called Hope Blamire. I have been getting her pictures on my FB feed for some time. This article the OP was posted is on her own page and has had 4.6k comments and 9.2k shares.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
1622558323835.png
These are the photos posted on the FB page. One appears to have been taken through the artist’s car window. If the parking upset her so much, why didn’t she do what she is telling others to do - drive on?

Last edited:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
How many motorhome owners carry disposable BBQs. Ever seen anyone with them? No neither have I. How may car goers with a coolbox of beer and 6 frozen burgers use these things, most every one of them

Add to that the customary heresay about poo on the beach and all you have left is another shit stirring anti-motorhome article full of fabrication.

Motorhomers are not shitting in public on the beach when they have a perfectly good toilet in their motorhome.
We have a disposable barbecue in our van. Transferred it from our previous van about 4 years ago. It must have been in there for about the same length of time before that. Trouble is it's easier to cook stuff in the van's kitchen or use the built in barbecue point. I must get round to using it some time! 😄

Wyn

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We have a disposable barbecue in our van. Transferred it from our previous van about 4 years ago. It must have been in there for about the same length of time before that. Trouble is it's easier to cook stuff in the van's kitchen or use the built in barbecue point. I must get round to using it some time! 😄

Wyn
Similarly ive carried one around 16 countries over 3 years and not used it 🤣🤣 its even more well travelled than the twin tub washing machine i took around Spain and Portugal in 2018 .

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
View attachment 502451These are the photos posted on the FB page. One appears to have been taken through the artist’s car window. If the parking upset her so much, why didn’t she do what she is telling others to do - drive on?
I have to say this don't look that bad.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Similarly ive carried one around 16 countries over 3 years and not used it
We have a disposable barbecue in our van.

Is it even possible to cook something on those things, when Ive tried, its either too hot because the food is too close to the coal and it burns everything, so you let it die down a bit, then when it's ready to cook you've got about ten minutes left before it's out :D

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Is it even possible to cook something on those things, when Ive tried, its either too hot because the food is too close to the coal and it burns everything, so you let it die down a bit, then when it's ready to cook you've got about ten minutes left before it's out :D
I'll let you know if we ever get to find out. We actually have three to get through! It might be a while at this rate.

Wyn

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Sorry that's not going to hold much water, ok, a few burnt rocks, and a few vans parked up, but where's all this s... And litter and gray water?
Apparently the photo of the woman defecating has been passed to the police.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
For two of us they work perfectly, just light it, making sure it's lit on both sides, have a beer, then it will be perfect to cook your burgers, get some rolls stick your burger in, get it eaten, wait till it's gone cold, or chuck some water on it, put it in a bin.
No washing up, no having to put anything together, no having to pack it up again, no need for gas hookup things.
Just cook, eat, and go.
Perfect. (y) (y)(y)(y):sun:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back