LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2014
aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2006
The following has been copied from a Scottish Motorhoming page and is from a local artist. It does not make good reading.
Im not saying anyone of my fellow funsters would indulge in this behaviour however I believe that if we are prepared to name and shame whenever we come across this kind of behaviour we may go some way towards eradicating it.

Bill

THE UGLY TRUTH.

I’m sorry for this post but it is absolutely necessary, and it’s my responsibility as someone who promotes the west coast of Scotland, to make you aware of this situation.

I’ve taken so many photos over the weekend that I’ve yet to share. Why have I not? Because I’m struggling. I’m struggling with what I’ve witnessed here in Arisaig and Morar.

The 37 caravans and motorhomes parked on the fragile machair at the roadside of Traigh yesterday. The dozens of cars and campervans parked so badly at the GREY sands of Morar, obstructing traffic and not having a care in the world about anyone other than themselves.

The dirty, dirty campers defecating on the beach, in front of people who have looked forward to staying in this picturesque part of the world for two years. They came to walk the silver sands of Morar and they look nothing like what they had known or imagined. There are tents everywhere and our neighbour bumped into a female on the beach at the weekend and totally unashamedly she said, Oh I’m just off down the beach to have a poo. 😳 It is an absolute disgrace.

The lack of disrespect and the ignorance shown by these visitors to not only the beautiful landscape here, but to the people who live here, is abhorrent. Public toilets have been put in place at Traigh, thanks to local crowdfunding, and now the person who cleaned these facilities has resigned because they couldn’t tolerate the abuse any more.

There are 32 burnt areas of grassland at the verge of these beautiful beaches. The legislation from the Scottish government does not prohibit fires and so the ignoramuses think it’s ok to do it. People are taking down local crofters’ fence posts to burn so they can have a fire on the beach.

I have spent most of today speaking to Police Scotland and to the Highland Council. They are trying to do what they can to control the situation, but until people stop turning up unplanned like this, and the Scottish Government steps in and listens to the changes needed to the legislation, this picturesque area will be ruined.

This wouldn’t be necessary if people behaved with decency. If campsites are full, you don’t just turn up and obstruct roads by parking where you want to park. You go somewhere else. If you want to wild camp, you don’t do so by the roadside. You climb a hill far away from anyone. You take away absolutely everything with you. You don’t throw a disposable bbq, which hasn’t been properly distinguished, in a public bin and subsequently set it on fire.

I understand how badly people want to go on holiday, how badly they want to be somewhere beautiful like this. What I don’t understand is this kind of shocking behaviour. It is not your right to roam irresponsibly wherever you want. It is not your right to make local residents’ lives a misery.

So, if I don’t give the exact location of where I am, there is very good reason. There are very few hidden gems left in this part of the world and we don’t need a megaphone to tell everyone exactly where they are.

Explore only with respect for others and for the local area. If you don’t agree, please find another page to follow, as you are not welcome here. To everyone else, I’m sorry to have to share this with you. Scotland has always been one of the most beautiful countries in the world, and with your respect, will remain so. 💙

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Peoples attitudes will never cease to amaze me, its no wonder councils are trying to stop us parking and facilities are closing down once again it will be the minority that will spoil us for the majority

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Peoples attitudes will never cease to amaze me, its no wonder councils are trying to stop us parking and facilities are closing down once again it will be the minority that will spoil us for the majority
These people are not the minority though, on here we think we are the most motorhomers, we are not and far from it and we are fighting a losing battle against the folks who think they can do what they like wherever they like, and these folks are the majority. Every day you see new people with an old van and they are off, not coming on here to see how to do things right , just doing it, as they say.
And all the worse now we are stuck here, believe me they wouldn't do it for long in France before they had a gun pointing at them.
In fairness they just don't know any different, it's how most are brought up now, no respect for other people.
Just do it!!!!!
Can't give an answer to it but can't see it getting any better any time soon :( :( :( :(

Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
'It's all about me' its a growing issue in the western world, me me me, I want, Its my this and that. Someone else can clear it up, it reminded me of the day I was driving out of Southampton and from the van in front of me out of the windows came food wrappers, coffee cups, empty fag packets. Partly in a traffic jam, middle of the day. Not even done quietly but with an attitude of 'Fu*k everybody I don't care and actually isn't it funny how cool I am'.

I actually phoned the number on the van back as it was a well known local building firm and the receptionist just said 'OK, i will tell the boss' and hung up.

Sad, just a simple word .... Sad. 🤢

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
The piece did mention a toilet block at Traigh? how far these are from the spot the author refers to wouldn't know.
These people who have total disregard for others, the environment and even themselves are a ever increasing menace.
As we used to say Maffi Muck (no brain)
And did someone on here say SHOOT EM.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Defecating on the beach, terrible. What’s wrong with a toilet and spare cassette.

We live on the moors remote location and ALL the litter we get is caused solely by tourists in CARS, picnics, day trippers who don’t have storage, don’t have bins and don’t have toilets, all of which motorhomes have.

I don’t see any campaigns to ban these cars or letters like the OP one to complain about cars, if it was motorhomes causing it there would be hell to pay and so much publicity to ban them.

If you are in a remote location, need the toilet and are in a Motorhome what do you do? If you are in a car and in a remote location and need the toilet what do you do?

If you are eating and in a Motorhome where do you put the rubbish? If you are in a car and eating where do you put the rubbish?

So if you are in a car take your rubbish home, take your shitty nappies home, take your fag packets and beer cans home please.

I can feel pen to paper coming.

Last edited:

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Saw all this last year when we toured the coast, the area around the NC500 was particularly awful.

They will tell you it’s not their fault that facilities aren’t available but truth be told they just don’t give a f**k.

In my opinion you shouldn’t be able to sell campers/MH‘s without on board facilities and those found using a hedge or beach for numbers 2’s should be held accountable.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Defecating on the beach, terrible. What’s wrong with a toilet and spare cassette.

We live on the moors remote location and ALL the litter we get is caused solely by tourists in CARS, picnics, day trippers who don’t have storage, don’t have bins and don’t have toilets, all of which motorhomes have.

I don’t see any campaigns to ban these cars or letters like the OP one to complain about cars, if it was motorhomes causing it there would be hell to pay and so much publicity to ban them.

If you are in a remote location, need the toilet and are in a Motorhome what do you do? If you are in a car and in a remote location and need the toilet what do you do?

If you are eating and in a Motorhome where do you put the rubbish? If you are in a car and eating where do you put the rubbish?

So if you are in a car take your rubbish home, take your shitty nappies home, take your fag packets and beer cans home please.

I can feel pen to paper coming.
Your so right of course Paul, good post. I do feel that Motorhomers are getting most of the negative bad press here, and undeservedly so IMO.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Spent 2 weeks in Scotland this May and did not see any of this type of behaviour or mess left behind. Did get a visit from a police car when our party 3 Motorhome) had driven to a park for night spot in the day to see if the water was ok for a spot of kayaking . We arrived at lunchtime- were on our way to the next spot for the night, the pier was clean and disturbed only by swans . The police said they had had an anonymous call about vandalism and people defacating in public, and disturbing the otters, which they had to respond to. Some of these reports are obviously not true, I don’t doubt that some mindless idiots do leave a mess but some people obviously also want to cause trouble where none exists.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
The police said they had had an anonymous call about vandalism and people defacating in public, and disturbing the otters, which they had to respond to. Some of these reports are obviously not true,
Unfortunately There will always be people that will make up stories & try to manipulate authorities to achieve their own goals , they obviously want the place to them self 🤕

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 A Class P/Line
Exp
We’re parked at the Ayr aire stayed here overnight just after we arrived I watched a woman drive in the car park and drop a bag of rubbish in one of the motorhome parking bays and drive out fast. She was gone before I could get out of van. I picked the rubbish up and binned it as I did wonder if this was a ploy to discredit motorhomes parking here.

Steve also spent some time cleaning up the car park after day trippers left their chip paper and cans by the bench even though the bin was just 20 feet away.

So yes campers can be blamed for some of the mess but not all but it does upset me to see the lack of respect some people have for their environment.

Liz

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
People don’t care as can be seen by take away wrapping on the side of the road heading away from certain establishments.

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Could there be a case for some sort of responsible motorhome owners association to promote the better attitudes in our hobby. Not foolproof I know but collectively we have a better chance of improving perception than individually.
Not really thought it through but surely it might be possible if some of us are SEEN to be doing something about the problem rather than just talking about it.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
How many motorhome owners carry disposable BBQs. Ever seen anyone with them? No neither have I. How may car goers with a coolbox of beer and 6 frozen burgers use these things, most every one of them

Add to that the customary heresay about poo on the beach and all you have left is another shit stirring anti-motorhome article full of fabrication.

Motorhomers are not shitting in public on the beach when they have a perfectly good toilet in their motorhome.

Last edited:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
there must be a lot of motorhomers, full timers in vans who live near me as the grass verge outside our property receives mcdonalds, kfc 'donations' most weekends .......

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
How many motorhome owners carry disposable BBQs. Ever seen anyone with them? No neither have I. How may car goers with a coolbox of beer and 6 frozen burgers use these things, most every one of them

Add to that the customary heresay about poo on the beach and all you have left is another shit stirring anti-motorhome article full of fabrication.

Motorhomers are not shitting on the beach when they have a perfectly good toilet in their motorhome.
Sorry Jim , yeah we carry disposable BBQ.

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that

Motorhomers are not shitting in public on the beach when they have a perfectly good toilet in their motorhome.
Well said Jim
I also like Phileas Fogg with his idea of a responsible owners Association. I'll happily join

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Could there be a case for some sort of responsible motorhome owners association to promote the better attitudes in our hobby. Not foolproof I know but collectively we have a better chance of improving perception than individually.
Not really thought it through but surely it might be possible if some of us are SEEN to be doing something about the problem rather than just talking about it.
Yes Good idea but you will have to remember there will be far more not in your club.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back