Preparing for next year's holiday post Brexit? (3 Viewers)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Unlike all the 'young' politicians and jittery public getting steamed up about the unknowns, I'm old enough to have travelled in, out and around Europe for years for business and leisure without any problems before we joined the E.U.
It'll be fine.
(However, I do wonder what the politicians and civil servants used to do all day long before all this Brexit Hooh-Haah arose).
And what will they do afterwards,,,???? NOT A LOT..BUSBY,,,:LOL::LOL:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
We too faced this conundrum, having already booked a winter trip, with a return date of 3rd April 2019.
However, we have just changed it so we come back before the 29th March.
At the moment it looks like a fifty fifty whether we get a deal or not and therefore the transition period that goes with it.
We didnt want to risk a no deal late this year, some are saying it could roll into January before its settled one way or other.
And then rolling up to Calais just a few days after the 29th March with a no deal situation. I think its fair to say it will be chaos!
As we have a dog and therefore have to go through the pet passport process to get her back in, not only would a no deal potentially put this process at risk, but getting held up at Calais for a few days could see the window you have to travel expire!
Therefore for the sake of a few days better safe than sorry.
We are doomed Mr Mannering,,doomed,,,Worry is like a ROCKING HORSE,,,it gives you something to do,,BUT GETS YOU NOWHERE,,Not given it a thought,,,will travel as normal,,,BUSBY:D:D

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I'm definitely putting satires on.my next van :p
I've been called an English b@#tard twice now ....cheeky buggers
Been called one of them for years,,,could not care a s,it BUSBY:):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If we could not travel in Europe then I could see no point in having a motorhome. Tugging would be the way to go if restricted to the UK.
Especially not South of the border
There's only really 4 places worth visiting and that's Yorkshire the lake district Cornwall and Wales.

But in Scotland I've got endless beauty so im alright :p

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
The thing is that before the eu we hadn't pissed off the rest of Europe so it still doesn't mean it will be the same.
Even now I detect a coldness towards Brits in Europe and it isn't my imagination.

I thought it was bad in Spain at places but 3 days in France and I feel like I've 3 heads at some places.
I have found the exact opposite but have lived in France for 14 years ,being a Scot helps as they know Scotland voted to stay and don’t forget Mary Queen of Scots :) Just remind them you are Scottish as they don’t necessarily recognise the accent lol It’s Les Anglais they are not so sure of lol

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I have found the exact opposite but have lived in France for 14 years ,being a Scot helps as they know Scotland voted to stay and don’t forget Mary Queen of Scots :) Just remind them you are Scottish as they don’t necessarily recognise the accent lol It’s Les Anglais they are not so sure of lol
First time I visited France in my old vw camper when I was 18 ...the French seemed so friendly and every where you went you felt welcome.
When I came over 4 years ago with my ex partner it seemed different but still quite friendly. ..

I've hardly got 2 words out a Frenchman either in Spain or here in France so far :(

Mind you that French student I met in Cadiz ....she was very very friendly :p

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
There's always some French person somewhere who hates the English, regardless. It goes way back to when Aquitaine belonged to the English King. I once had to retreat from a punch up offered by a French drunk over what happened to Joan of Arc. Next, there's those who still resent us for carpet bombing many French towns and cities in WW2, killing their relatives. Lamb wars, too. Now cockle fishing. The grievance list is a long one, and for some idiots never stops growing.

Most French people still love us at least a little bit, and love our tourist money even more. :)
They might like your money but is small change compared to revenue from Dutch, Germans , Belgians , Yanks and Aussies . Obviously not all in Motorhomes but spending on accommodation too.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
First time I visited France in my old vw camper when I was 18 ...the French seemed so friendly and every where you went you felt welcome.
When I came over 4 years ago with my ex partner it seemed different but still quite friendly. ..

I've hardly got 2 words out a Frenchman either in Spain or here in France so far :(

Mind you that French student I met in Cadiz ....she was very very friendly :p
Ha ha depends where you are like any country . More rural more friendly . When we moved here and went back to the UK with our French later van I felt sure on sites people would smile say bonjour and look welcoming but sadly the opposite is the case . The path is infinitely more interesting than eye contact .

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
They might like your money but is small change compared to revenue from Dutch, Germans , Belgians , Yanks and Aussies . Obviously not all in Motorhomes but spending on accommodation too.
I think that's half the trouble...the pro brexiteers seem to think they are the only tourists to visit Europe and think they spend the most money lol.

Certainly not what I've seen ...way way way more Germans and Dutch and in Spain also French .and I believe it's getting more and more crowded each year.

I'm not sure they would miss the Brits in the slightest.

But the Brits will certainly miss the ability to visit these places for months at a time to escape freezing cold miserable Britain

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I think that's half the trouble...the pro brexiteers seem to think they are the only tourists to visit Europe and think they spend the most money lol.

Certainly not what I've seen ...way way way more Germans and Dutch and in Spain also French .and I believe it's getting more and more crowded each year.

I'm not sure they would miss the Brits in the slightest.

But the Brits will certainly miss the ability to visit these places for months at a time to escape freezing cold miserable Britain
As as Scot just stinks of arrogance but will wait to be shot down lol

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I have been wandering about the 3 month rule. Would you be able to go away fro 3 months, come back to Blighty for a week and then go for another 3 months? Is it 3 months in any one year? I have not seen any detail on this.

I think it’s 90 days in any 180 day period, so once your 90 days is up you have to come home for 90 days before you can return.

EDIT : this seems to confirm what I have said above:

http://www.euro-dollar-currency.com/90_180_days_rule.htm

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Reactions: DBK
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
@StephandJohn - with a bit of luck and a lot of common sense by the Nation Brexit will get cancelled and we can all enjoy the ease of holidays and travel within the EU that we have now - if not you can blame those that voted leave - you know them - a lot on here that Travel in the EU :)

:moon2:- - - :cheers:---:lips:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That's gonna really screw up my plans to tour for a year in eastern Europe next year
The 90 days in 180 is what US, Australians etc have to obey. It would be reasonable to assume we will be treated the same if no deal is agreed. The clock stops if you go outside the Schengin zone, say to Morocco, then starts again when you return.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pia

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I understand that Jim but it is unfortunately England who is essentially taking the whole United Kingdom out of Europe
Yep I've heard the countries don't vote speech before.

The majority of people in Scotland didn't want to leave.

We actually welcome immigration :)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The 90 days in 180 is what US, Australians etc have to obey. It would-be reasonable to assume we will be treated the same if no deal is agreed. The clock stops if you go outside the Schengin zone, say to Morocco, then starts again when you return.
Which is crap as I intended to do Germany bavaria , Austria, Switzerland, Italy , Croatia, Greece, Poland.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Especially not South of the border
There's only really 4 places worth visiting and that's Yorkshire the lake district Cornwall and Wales.

But in Scotland I've got endless beauty so im alright :p
You have missed the Best,,,DERBYSHIRE,,,,,BUSBY,,

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
DUTCH,,their as tight as Ducks Bums ...Only ever see them in the cheapest bars if they ever go out,,,French are the same,,,BUSBY:D2:D2

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I understand that Jim but it is unfortunately England who is essentially taking the whole United Kingdom out of Europe

:doh: Scotland is just 8 percent of the population of this country. So considering that England is 85% of the whole of UK thats only right and in a referendum we're always going to do what England decides. Its called maths :)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Yep I've heard the countries don't vote speech before.

The majority of people in Scotland didn't want to leave.

We actually welcome immigration :)
Scotland might welcome immigration but I wonder if you asked the migrants legal or illegal . Would you like to settle and be housed in London or shipped up to the Scottish highlands I wonder what the answer would be.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Big Mate of mine has just been granted an 180 day Visa, he is 5th generation Aussie.
If he can get it! so can you! Just saying!

Sorry @StephandJohn Your very sensible Tread has been, despite you saying it wasn't about Brexit has been highjacked. Despite all the sour grapes though there has been a lot of sensible advice given.
Enjoy your tour :hugs:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back