Preparing for next year's holiday post Brexit? (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Firstly - this isn't a post about the fors and against Brexit; just a practical question.
We'll be going away in March and coming back in August so we're trying to think ahead for what we might need in Europe.
So far I've renewed my passport early because that would have expired in November and there's been some speculation that you will need 6 month's left on your passport to travel in Europe.
We're also applying for the International Driving Permit - some countries in Europe e.g. Montenegro may require them even now and we'll be travelling through Eastern Europe anyway. It only costs £5.50 each.
We'll obviously get travel insurance anyway nearer the time.
Anything else anyone can think of?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
No one really knows whats going to happen so I can only suggest you keep your plans flexible. :) Best case is you won't notice any difference, EHIC card for example still valid, no visa requirements and ATMs still recognising UK bank cards and offering an exchange rate similar to what we have at the moment.
Worst case is none of the above apply, travel insurance will be expensive and you may only be allowed to stay three months in the EU.
But nobody knows. We are planning to travel in the EU bit of Europe in April but keeping Skegness as an alternative. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Just done a search to see which of my local post offices I can get an international driving permit at. There’s one 12 miles away in Liverpool, then Chester, Preston, Stockport and Manchester according to the Post Offices website.

OP
OP
S
Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Just done a search to see which of my local post offices I can get an international driving permit at. There’s one 12 miles away in Liverpool, then Chester, Preston, Stockport and Manchester according to the Post Offices website.
We can get one in our local main post office in Lancaster.
If you believe mark carney you'll holiday in Devon instead.
The doom mongers are in overdrive.
My hope is that were just getting into the nitty gritty of negotiations and TM will come up trumps in the end and all will be well.
Maybe ?
Sorry can't add any practical advice
In that interview yesterday I though that whatever you think of her she's tough and sticking to her plans.

OP
OP
S
Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We can get one in our local main post office in Lancaster.

In that interview yesterday I though that whatever you think of her she's tough and sticking to her plans.
Sorry I probably shouldn't have posted that as I didn't want this to be a discussion about Brexitt.
Steph

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We live in Burgundy for five months of the year but are not classed as residents.

We don’t know what will happen either. A three month visit limit would lead to us having to sell.

We need certainty asap, not scare mongering on either side of the argument.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We'll be going away in March and coming back in August so we're trying to think ahead for what we might need in Europe.
as you are leaving before it is implemented & returning after, worst case is you can't get back in .:LOL: That's what my concern is in reverse .:(
If there are going to be problems for UK citizens travelling around in the EU it will only be due to the UK plates identifying them .
Until we actually know ,& I don't expect it before april next year, then I certainly am not planning on entering the UK if I am going to have problems exiting. We will have to make other arrangements for the wife's revisions.
We live in Burgundy for five months of the year but are classed as residents.

We don’t know what will happen either. A three month visit limit would lead to us having to sell.

We need certainty asap, not scare mongering on either side of the argument.

If you are registered permanent French residents ( you cannot be resident in more than one country) then there should be no problems.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
We'll be booking Eurotunnel end of October for travel in July as normal. As we go peak season it's essential to book well in advance.
We'd normally book one or two popular sites too but will leave it this year and keep things flexible, simply because we have no idea how things will pan out...
Worst case scenario is rescheduled tunnel bookings and staying in the UK during school holidays o_O

I suspect British campsites will be packed next year.
A few friends have been given notice on their seasonal caravan pitches, as the owners move to pay per night only.
They've done the sums and decided there's enough demand to forfeit the guaranteed seasonal income...

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I bet there is a loop hole for property owners as many MPs have holiday homes. I guess it will be some sort of fiddle where the property is owned by your business and you rent it off of yourself and your a maintenance person checking the property. There is always fiddles.

Reactions: Pia
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
No one really knows whats going to happen so I can only suggest you keep your plans flexible. :) Best case is you won't notice any difference, EHIC card for example still valid, no visa requirements and ATMs still recognising UK bank cards and offering an exchange rate similar to what we have at the moment.
Worst case is none of the above apply, travel insurance will be expensive and you may only be allowed to stay three months in the EU.
But nobody knows. We are planning to travel in the EU bit of Europe in April but keeping Skegness as an alternative. :)
Wow you must think its going to be bad in europe if it only has to beat skeggy!!!!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
If you are registered permanent French residents ( you cannot be resident in more than one country) then there should be no problems.
You are, of course, quite correct.

The only problem is I didn’t proof my post well enough.

It should have said we are not classed as residents. Sorry!

(Initial post now corrected, thanks for the heads up.)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Who knows it sounds like you are trying to plan your holiday well in advance (I did hear there are two types of driving permit for different groups of countries don't know if thats true). I think you are wise to start early as there will probably be a mad rush and long waits when it becomes clear whats required if there are any changes. Imagine what its like for buinesses!!!!

OP
OP
S
Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Who knows it sounds like you are trying to plan your holiday well in advance (I did hear there are two types of driving permit for different groups of countries don't know if thats true). I think you are wise to start early as there will probably be a mad rush and long waits when it becomes clear whats required if there are any changes. Imagine what its like for buinesses!!!!
Thats what we thought which is why I've renewed my passport now.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I bet there is a loop hole for property owners as many MPs have holiday homes. I guess it will be some sort of fiddle where the property is owned by your business and you rent it off of yourself and your a maintenance person checking the property. There is always fiddles.
Sure Brits owned properties in Europe before we joined The EU,,,,:D:DBUSBY..

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Unlike all the 'young' politicians and jittery public getting steamed up about the unknowns, I'm old enough to have travelled in, out and around Europe for years for business and leisure without any problems before we joined the E.U.
It'll be fine.
(However, I do wonder what the politicians and civil servants used to do all day long before all this Brexit Hooh-Haah arose).

OP
OP
S
Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Unlike all the 'young' politicians and jittery public getting steamed up about the unknowns, I'm old enough to have travelled in, out and around Europe for years for business and leisure without any problems before we joined the E.U.
It'll be fine.
(However, I do wonder what the politicians and civil servants used to do all day long before all this Brexit Hooh-Haah arose).
I know exactly what you mean. All this hysteria! Its not like 'Europe' won't still be there for trade and tourism like it always was.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
@StephandJohn - with a bit of luck and a lot of common sense by the Nation Brexit will get cancelled and we can all enjoy the ease of holidays and travel within the EU that we have now - if not you can blame those that voted leave - you know them - a lot on here that Travel in the EU :)

OP
OP
S
Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
I gather that a different International Driving Permit is needed for France and Spain so we may need two of them.
I gather that a different International Driving Permit is needed for France and Spain so we may need two of them.
Thanks. I'm glad you said this and so I checked. Inow realise that you need a different permit for every country you are visiting. I'd assumed that one covered all! So - we'll have to wait and see.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
IDP can be applied for upto 3 months prior to travel and is valid for 1 year , AFAIK there is only one IDP that covers all the places that need one :)
If you need absolute there are two convention type IDP 1949 and 1926
  • 1949 Convention IDP (Republic of Ireland, Spain, Malta, Cyprus), or
  • A1968 Convention IDP (all other EU countries, Norway and Switzerland)
  • not needed in Current EU countries for UK at moment

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I suspect British campsites will be packed next year.
A few friends have been given notice on their seasonal caravan pitches, as the owners move to pay per night only.
They've done the sums and decided there's enough demand to forfeit the guaranteed seasonal income...

Typical Brit business's preparing to RIP the public off even more.....:doh:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The post office site does list two different IDPs but at present indicates only Spain needs one, which is probably not correct as I'm sure you don't need one at all now. After March who knows.

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
We too faced this conundrum, having already booked a winter trip, with a return date of 3rd April 2019.
However, we have just changed it so we come back before the 29th March.
At the moment it looks like a fifty fifty whether we get a deal or not and therefore the transition period that goes with it.
We didnt want to risk a no deal late this year, some are saying it could roll into January before its settled one way or other.
And then rolling up to Calais just a few days after the 29th March with a no deal situation. I think its fair to say it will be chaos!
As we have a dog and therefore have to go through the pet passport process to get her back in, not only would a no deal potentially put this process at risk, but getting held up at Calais for a few days could see the window you have to travel expire!
Therefore for the sake of a few days better safe than sorry.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It'll be fine.
The thing is that before the eu we hadn't pissed off the rest of Europe so it still doesn't mean it will be the same.
Even now I detect a coldness towards Brits in Europe and it isn't my imagination.

I thought it was bad in Spain at places but 3 days in France and I feel like I've 3 heads at some places.

OP
OP
S
Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
This is from the AA website
The Government has confirmed that if there is ‘no deal’ then mutual recognition of driving licences between the UK and EU may end.

This would mean that UK drivers wishing to drive in Europe after 29 March 2019 would need to get an International Driving Permit (IDP):

• A 1949 Convention IDP (Republic of Ireland, Spain, Malta, Cyprus), or
  • A1968 Convention IDP (all other EU countries, Norway and Switzerland)
It has been estimated that up to 7 million IDPs may be required in the first year if there's 'no deal'.

Whether there's a deal or not, the Government has decided that, from 1 February 2019:

• IDPs will be issued by around 2,500 Post Offices (they're currently issued by 89)
  • The AA (and RAC) will no longer be permitted to issue IDPs
  • Mail order facilities for applying for an IDP will cease to exist

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Typical Brit business's preparing to RIP the public off even more.....:doh:
Of course
It's in their nature making a profit or a decent living is no longer the way ..they want to make as much as possible and sod it if they are ripping folk off.

But they will never get my custom in a campsite that's for sure

Jun 22, 2011
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
I have been wandering about the 3 month rule. Would you be able to go away fro 3 months, come back to Blighty for a week and then go for another 3 months? Is it 3 months in any one year? I have not seen any detail on this.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The most expensive campsites that I have ever stayed on are in Europe

I love well balanced posts, you know the ones with a chip on each shoulder :D2
But in Europe you have legal alternatives