Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,
just a very quick one here.

How many toad users have we on this forum? I mean tow cars on braked 'A' frames, numbers I'm trying to establish not so much the pros and cons on this thread.

Reason - (If wondering) please see the Herpetology thread, Broken Link Removed
I am on a mission on behalf of all that use a tow along car (toad) inc me.

All I ask is who has one and uses it (or is getting one) and for them to say, for example,
'I have one of these, a Towtal - UK use only'.

I am trying to find out how many of us actually use them - once I get this info I will then be able to identify whether it's just me I'm 'fighting for' or several hundred.:RollEyes:

It doesn't have to take you long or you don't have to write a long ditto.

Many Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Trikeman.:winky:

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We have an aygo on a towtal A frame used when going away for more than a weekend also car used everyday for work A frame has overun cable braking never had any issues even at 45foot in total length found easier and safer than a trailer
Kev

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
We tow a fiat500 with a Towtal a frame with the "new" electronic box of tricks. Not been abroad (yet)
To all of you with the cable=braked type, make sure it is LUBRICATED from time to time or you nay find the brakes STICKING ON on the toad, I know this from personal (&expensive) experience!!!!!:cry::cry:
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Seat Mii towed on a Caratow A frame only in UK to date - out this last weekend with the toad and will be the weekend after next all being well:thumb:

monk

Free Member
Aug 15, 2011
Fairburn North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I tow a Vauxhall Corsa with a Armitage Aframe attached to my Autotrail Savannah.
We have towed throughout Europe but not Spain or Portugal where they are illegal.

big dave

Free Member
Jan 15, 2009
earlswood solihull
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
9 years
A frames

Had a Chris cox A frame for number of years now and towed all over Europe but got fined while in Spain last year so now have a trailer.
We are in Spain at the moment and amazed how many motorhomes are still using them here. Dave

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
SmartforTwo , Towtal A frame, UK only. Had a Brian James Trailer for the Smart but sold as we never went abroad and it was impossible for us to manage on our steep driveway:cry: Haven't used the Smart or the A frame for a long time - Sorned and laid up :cry:

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
We tow a Aygo with a Towbars2Towcars A frame. UK only to date.
Cheers
Bernie

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

kia picanto on an armitage a frame behind chausson allegro

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Peugeot 107 & previously Nissan Micra both by Chris Cox A-Frame, towed all over Europe never stopped in 8 years.

Don't tow now got fed up with towing. :winky: Want to buy an A-Frame?

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
Ford fiesta with A frame made by my self.
only used in UK,
we will usually Rent a car abroad if we fancy a trip out.

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Fiat Seicento Schumacher on a car-a-tow A frame. In my 4th year now and wouldn't be without it in the UK. Never felt the need to take it abroad as Europe is much more motorhome friendly.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I use the brake buddy system on my toad
I don't like cable braking systems as they are not reliable due to cable stretching
Or needing adjustments. All the time

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
A Frame

Towtal A Frame on Aygo Automatic with overrun brakes since 2007.

Have toad as far as Spain in past but not since 2010. Excellent way to take car with you and be able to get to places that would be difficult with a Van. Also has the benefit of not needing to find somewhere to park a trailer. We are however considering a trailer for Spain etc.

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
Toad

Hello Joan & Mike here, we used to tow a Smart on an unbraked Towtal A-Frame, throughout France & Spain for weeks at a time, no problems. We now tow a Peugeot 107 on a braked Car-A-Tow A-Frame through France & Spain for weeks at a time, so far so good, no problems. We have noticed a lot of French are now towing on A-frames, although in the days when we lived in France it was supposed to be illegal. Must admit to being on edge towing through Spain, we would suggest that you have a passenger in the motorhome who could drive the toad should you be stopped, and asked to separate the vehicles.

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
My Toad is a Kia Picanto on a tow-bars2tow-cars Electronic A Frame. I use it for work. I park up on a site then can use the car to visit shops in the area.
This is a brilliant system which I have used through Scotland for over 2 weeks and many trips throughout England and Wales. Hope to get a lot more use next year. I cannot see any problem with this system - feels really safe.
I have no intention of using it on the Continent.

DLT

Sep 2, 2013
pencoed
Funster No
MH
swift c/built
Exp
We tow Chevrolet Matiz with Chris Cox frame UK France
trailer for Spain

lookback

Free Member
Nov 30, 2007
Mareham le fen, Lincs
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
5 years
I have a Chris Cox braked A Frame. Car attachments are still on the car. Free to anyone who wants them - not the car. I live near Coningsby Lincolnshire.

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back