LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
we use the A frame on a rollerteam 746 UK only great to park motor home up and use the car to get around ray

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Thank you Trikeman and all who responded to his request. This has been a really useful thread for me, in that it lists loads of small suitable cars for for me to consider.

As I said in the herpetology thread, I really need to source a very slim four-seat car, as drive space is very limited.

A Toad would/will enable my disabled wife to easily travel into town centres for meals, sightseeing etc. Public transport unfortunately is not an option. Nor is a caravan.

Ain’t this a great club?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
A Frame towing..

Fiat 'Qubo' using Armitage Trailers splendid BUT heavy Unit. Previously Smart car then Yaris using on Chris Cox's A frame. 6 yrs 'Toading' :thumb:

I, like many many others would like this whole issue SORTED out...PDQ ! :Eeek:

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Thank you Trikeman and all who responded to his request. This has been a really useful thread for me, in that it lists loads of small suitable cars for for me to consider.

As I said in the herpetology thread, I really need to source a very slim four-seat car, as drive space is very limited.

[HI]A Toad would/will enable my disabled wife to easily travel into town centres [/HI]for meals, sightseeing etc. Public transport unfortunately is not an option. Nor is a caravan.

Ain’t this a great club?

Thats the reason i have mine, folding wheelchair fits snugly into the boot.

davibubb

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
Carmarthen
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 year's on and off
A frame towing

I have a Smart car left to me by my stepson when he died in March. It's great fun to drive and I use it daily,We are undecided as to what to do, IE Go for an
A frame fitment now and risk it or wait until some thing is sorted out from this mess :Sad:

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
i am in spain at the moment with my panda multijet on a trailer although the car has fittings for a-frame too when not in spain. interestingly i spoke to a french motorhomer here last week who was towing a smart behind his hymer on an a-frame and he told me that in july the law was enforced that the likes of spain couldnt ban something that was legal in your own country. true or not i dont know but he hadnt been stopped so far and he had alot of paperwork supposedly supporting what he had said. it wouldnt surprise me that after being stopped in spain , a few french got something done about it . maybe one of our french speakers on the forum could look on the french forums to find out if what he was saying was correct?? all the best sean

speed080

Free Member
May 28, 2010
Funster No
::bigsmile:
Autotrail scout with Suzuki wagon r on a caratow braked a frame.fit a frame with a jocky wheel and you can connect and disconnect as a one person operation.much safer and more stable than a trailer:thumb:

Sep 28, 2010
Castletownbere West Cork
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 years
A Frame

We have a Toyota Yaris with tow bars to tow cars set up Works well Used in England and Ireland

adamsale

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
Ringwood
Funster No
MH
Low profile coach built
Exp
since 2006
Hi, I tow a Toyota Aygo with Caratow A Frame. Since 2006 have towed in UK,France,Germany,Belgium and Spain.

Daedalus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2013
North Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
'A' Frame

Pug 107 on Tow-Bars-2-Tow-Cars electronic system - never used abroad, used regularly in UK.

damar

Free Member
Nov 22, 2013
buckinhgam bucks
Funster No
MH
autocruise star spirit
Exp
first van in 1967
why do you need to tow a car, would it not be more sensible to buy a caravan ? I have tried for many years to see why the need to tow a car behind a M/H I have seen over the years people tow a car down to southern Spain on the back of a M/H, park the M/H on a site and live in it for 4/5 months, surely if you are going to winter this way it must be a waste of money to tow a car all that way. When you ask people why they tow a car I have yet to hear a good reason. ( bet I will now lol ) If you are going to park your M/H and use a car then you have to go onto sites, this to me defeats the object of M/Hing and having freedom and choice.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
why do you need to tow a car, would it not be more sensible to buy a caravan ? I have tried for many years to see why the need to tow a car behind a M/H I have seen over the years people tow a car down to southern Spain on the back of a M/H, park the M/H on a site and live in it for 4/5 months, surely if you are going to winter this way it must be a waste of money to tow a car all that way. When you ask people why they tow a car I have yet to hear a good reason. ( bet I will now lol ) If you are going to park your M/H and use a car then you have to go onto sites, this to me defeats the object of M/Hing and having freedom and choice.

Disabled wife, so we need transport to get around, no way have i ever had the desire to tow a caravan.
With the MH i arrive on site, unhook car and will be set up very quickly. No messing about with awnings, same when leaving.
As for the car its a personal thing that suits us, others have their own reasons.
If it wasnt for the disability we wouldn't have gone to the expense of the toad.

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
You hit it right on the head - freedom and choice.:Smile:

I use the towed car to open up all areas we wish to go using the MH as a base. We can park in 'mainly' sites and explore the immediate area and beyond. We like going to heritage sites and coastal walks so the tow car gives us the option of staying at inland sites (away from the summer crowds) for a few days and shooting off in the little car wherever we want and not have the 'graft' of getting the MH to some of the places we wish to visit, maybe several in one day. Some of the places we have been would struggle to get a motorhome in comfortably, and nipping down the shops is a doddle wherever they are from site - for short hauls I use the bike though. Now used I wouldn't be without my tow along. Some of our friends who maybe the ones you see towing their car to Spain/France park up the MH and generally the lasses stay there and the guys explore, like WWII sites, the tour de France, visit friends and things like that. Of course this could be done in a car and caravan but it's back to the freedom and choice again. The little car being towed only increases the MPG a little and works out cheap transport once away - our tow car is my Wife's everyday run-around too.

Some people would prefer a caravan but we have the best of both worlds and prefer our MH far more than a caravan.

Regards,

Trikeman.:winky:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
What do you mean "the lasses stay on site and the men go out" ?

Why do the girls not go too? I'd be blowed if Pete would go exploring without me! My holidays as well as his. Exploring is more enjoyable together.

He'd never get away with it anyway. If he ever tried to sneak a motorbike out of the garage to go for a blat, by the time he'd got it down the side and the gates open I could have me leathers on and meet him at the front with the helmets and gloves!

Unless he was just taking it for its MOT or something LOL

If Pete's interested in something, then I take an interest in it and vice versa. OK it's nice to have a bit of space from each other but when you can both have a conversation about something new or different you've seen and done, it's a much fuller experience I've always thought.

Or am I entirely odd?

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
That's what I was trying to explain - freedom and choice. 90% of the time we go everywhere together but if I fancy a run to a tank museum and my Wife fancies a day by a pool or in the sun then we can do both. Sometimes the lasses want to go into the nearest town for a day but if I want a lounge by the van or read a book then off they go in the car.
Great flexibility, freedom to do what you want and great choice of where.
But as mentioned most of the time we go together OR pick friends up and take one car out instead of two MHs. Hope this makes a little more sense.
Regards,

Trikeman.:winky:

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
We used to tow a Matiz on a Towtal frame with Brake Buddy but now have a Smart ForFour and Unibrake setup. The Smart is now our only car while the Matiz was kept solely to TOAD so I have saved one MOT, tax and insurance.

J50JWR

Free Member
Apr 4, 2014
Lowestoft
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 1999
I tow an 03 Suzuki wagon on a braked Towtal A frame, regularly in UK only ( not needed on continent as locals there aren't anti motorhome ) for last 14 yrs. will change for newer car later this year when the new regime becomes clear, along with the flying pigs.

John

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Renault Modus on a braked A frame, for collecting and delivering vans with tow bars, no problems

Peter

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Mine's on Ebay

My Picanto using Towbars to Towcars is on ebay. great car and great system.

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi we have Smartie and what great fun it is, we have the "Smart Tow" electronic vacuum system fitted which uses the full braking system, have never had any issues with it, works for us is all I can say :thumb:

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Towing

Just had our Toyota IQ fitted with a light weight stainless steel a frame from Towing a frames ltd only 12kgs and no electronics £849 fitted looks to be a well made peice of kit and seems to tow fine,

previously we towed a Smart for four years on a Towtal a frame with no problems apart from the weight of the frame nearly as heavy as the Smart car:ROFLMAO:

Apr 30, 2013
Newark
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
30 years
reversing

Hi,
just a quick question before I leap in and start TOADING! - how do you reverse when I am directed up the wrong street etc??:whatthe:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
A Frames

I tow a Kia Picanto on an A frame from Armitage Trailers. A heavy kit but chose it because it automatically has a jockey wheel which, along with a reversing camera allows me to hitch up on my own. Only tour in the Uk so no problem so far re 'grey' area of legality!!

I do however have a question which I hope a Funsters can help me with:
Can I use my second set of keys to lock my car when the 1st set are in the ignition to disengage the steering lock? My dealer thinks it will be ok but can't guarantee!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back