LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Somehow, I'm not convinced about that advice Dave. :( .................................... :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

True story here Jock.
A couple of years ago we were on the campsite in Munich with the fifth wheel and Dodge Ram. We wanted to visit the professor who lives in what used to be the Olympic centre, right in the heart of Munich. I asked the manager of Valkirchen camping about taking the Ram into the city without an umwelt sticker.
His reply was, "When it first came out everyone panicked, but now no one bothers with it, just go and enjoy". After that, we have travelled all over Germany many times as you know, and still dont know what an umwelt sticker is. As you also well know, I was born lucky, not good looking, so maybe that helps :).

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Just say "Excuse me am English" We dont have those things in England.
Somehow, I'm not convinced about that advice Dave. :( .................................... :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

True story here Jock.
A couple of years ago we were on the campsite in Munich with the fifth wheel and Dodge Ram. We wanted to visit the professor who lives in what used to be the Olympic centre, right in the heart of Munich. I asked the manager of Valkirchen camping about taking the Ram into the city without an umwelt sticker.
His reply was, "When it first came out everyone panicked, but now no one bothers with it, just go and enjoy". After that, we have travelled all over Germany many times as you know, and still dont know what an umwelt sticker is. As you also well know, I was born lucky, not good looking, so maybe that helps :).
Sorry Dave, I was making light of the "Excuse me I am English" thing. :LOL:

I drove through Cologne (Umwelt 4 Green) with an Umwelte 2 (Red) plakette on the windscreen, and was concerned that I might get stopped and receive a fine. Fortunately, I didn't. I then learned from others at the Stellplatz, that I should have crossed the river on the Autobahn, and then backtracked into the city. Some of them didn't even have a plakette. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Autumn must be on its way. For the first time this year I had to put the heater on for half an hour this morning whilst having my coffee.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Not too impressed with this German weather so far.
Tomorrow (Saturday) looks OK but then very patchy.
The Med is looking more promising by the day but it looks like a band of wet weather is going to spread right across Western Europe during next week.
Do we go or do we stay? (Would that make a good song title :D)

Richard.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Not too impressed with this German weather so far.
Tomorrow (Saturday) looks OK but then very patchy.
The Med is looking more promising by the day but it looks like a band of wet weather is going to spread right across Western Europe during next week.
Do we go or do we stay? (Would that make a good song title :D)

Richard.

The slightly cooler weather has come as a welcome break for those of us that have had to endure 35 degrees plus for months. I can finally sleep at night now and dont have to wake @JJ at 8am for a chat :).

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Due to all the activity over the weekend in Reil and Enkirch. Reil has there big winefest where all the small producers display there wines with several bands playing from Friday through till Sunday, and the big overland meet just up the road at Enkirch, the stelplatz here at Reil is chocka block full. If any funsters are in the area and struggling to find a pitch they can double up on mine until the rush dies down next week. I will move my trailer and they can park directly behind me.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Back up to the mid/upper 30s here at QMJ.

No outside activities for me today... except watering my strawberries and tomatoes and cabbages and my solitary lettuce... oh, and lying in my (tiny but functional) pool...

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
How much would your site fee for that then?

JJ :cool:

Sorry JJ, but I have no control of what the mayor charges on this stelplatz..........YET :).

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
As we have a nice riverside pitch here at Mehring we are staying until after the weekend.
This site is quite full too as they are setting up huge marquees for a wine fest just along the bank. Still a few spaces though.
Hopefully it will thin out at Reil next week then we will move up.

Another enormous aircraft carrier has just moored up in front of us, this time only partly hiding our view of the river. £3k plus for a 10 day trip, so I will sit here with a smirk on my face as they disembark.

Richard.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Well its quite full at Enkirch last count was 860 vehicles !!! and they were still arriving last night , it got down to 10C but we are upto 18 now and lovely sunny day top of 22 C Hope you make down here on your bike @Snowbird , just about got room :LOL: , cant leave till monday even if I wanted:)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
whats the supermarket situation like over there...it a long time since wer've been.....

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Well its quite full at Enkirch last count was 860 vehicles !!! and they were still arriving last night , it got down to 10C but we are upto 18 now and lovely sunny day top of 22 C Hope you make down here on your bike @Snowbird , just about got room :LOL: , cant leave till monday even if I wanted:)
We were down there at 9 this morning. Looking for an RV in that lot was like looking for a needle in a haystack. A very, very, impressive show of vehicles though. I was very impressed with a Dutch registered Magi Deutz that was for sale at what I considered the right money, but cook spotted me drooling and dragged me away kicking and screaming. Will catch up with you later in the week, as I believe there are other funsters on route to Reil. Lovely morning for a bike ride though with the nice breeze. By the way, the winefest is in full swing here, we went up there last night and had a delicious meal with excellent wine. Each winery has a different menu on, one had a hogroast and there was even a Ti stall.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Are these wine festivals on all month Dave.
Arrive Ancona 19th and got 12days before Zeebrugge/Hull ferry sounds like a great stopover.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
last night and had a delicious meal with excellent wine.

You are certainly putting on a good show for the UK. Once news gets to Brussels it will be "scheissen, vee cannot survive wizzout zees people, vee must have a good Brexit deal".

The Cricketers

Free Member
Oct 9, 2013
Nr Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
What a great thread this is , I've learn't a lot. Thank you @Snowbird for starting it off
We will be aiming at the Mosel the week after next, is the hogroast at Reil a weekly affair, or is it just now and again?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
can someone advise the best non toll route to the start of the mosel at Trier, we will be in Calais on the 9th Sept and would want to fill up with cheaper diesel on the way, we would like to visit Dunkerque on the way up from Calais.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
What a great thread this is , I've learn't a lot. Thank you @Snowbird for starting it off
We will be aiming at the Mosel the week after next, is the hogroast at Reil a weekly affair, or is it just now and again?

Its more a now and again, but the funny thing is that when Sven had his hogroast last week the village town hall had one on the same day on the opposite side of the cycle track, not 5 yards away. I did comment that it was lick waiting all week for a bus and two arriving at the same time :rolleyes:.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Are these wine festivals on all month Dave.
Arrive Ancona 19th and got 12days before Zeebrugge/Hull ferry sounds like a great stopover.

The Mosel valley is famous for its winefests. Hardly a week goes by without one of the villages having one. Am not sure if my liver will hold out much longer here. I had finally worked through the card when they go and bring this years new wine out. I forget the name, but its very sweet and cloudy, but tastes delicious. Everyone seems to be quaffing it like it wont keep :rolleyes:.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
can someone advise the best non toll route to the start of the mosel at Trier, we will be in Calais on the 9th Sept and would want to fill up with cheaper diesel on the way, we would like to visit Dunkerque on the way up from Calais.

Take my advise if you value your motorhome and your teeth, DON'T go near any Belgium roads as they are atrocious. If you think British road are bad for pothole then you aint see nothing yet.
A mate of mine said that he was last in Belgium 10 years ago and they were bad then and they clearly have done bugger all to repair them since.
Scoot down the eastern side of France and then over into Luxembourg to fuel up then it's a short hop over to Trier.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I’m afraid we’ve bailed out of the Mosel so won’t get up to Reil this time Dave @Snowbird.
Bloody chilly this morning and we’ve watched the trees on the opposite bank visibly changing colour since we arrived a few days ago. Autumn seems to have arrived in German land.
We are hightailing down to the Med to try and make the summer last another few weeks.
Had thumping loud music belting away from the marquees a little way along the river bank last night. It was still going full belt at 2am and at 6.30am there was still music coming from somewhere.
We intend to try again next summer but in June/July time.

Richard.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I’m afraid we’ve bailed out of the Mosel so won’t get up to Reil this time Dave @Snowbird.
Bloody chilly this morning and we’ve watched the trees on the opposite bank visibly changing colour since we arrived a few days ago. Autumn seems to have arrived in German land.
We are hightailing down to the Med to try and make the summer last another few weeks.
Had thumping loud music belting away from the marquees a little way along the river bank last night. It was still going full belt at 2am and at 6.30am there was still music coming from somewhere.

Richard.
Bugger, I was going to try heading that way about the 15th, but no point if the weather is Tom Tit, I don’t like the cold! Very disappointing:(

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Richard.

Are you sure your on the Mosel ?. I just took this photo out of the window at 18-10 tonight :cool:.
Mosel 001.JPG

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Bugger, I was going to try heading that way about the 15th, but no point if the weather is Tom Tit, I don’t like the cold! Very disappointing:(
It was 11c this morning but looked like it was going to be a lovely day.
However, the forecast for the next 10 days, while not ‘orible, was quite cool with plenty of cloud.
Looked at the forecast for Narbonne, we are heading for Gruissan just up the road, and it shows at least 10c warmer most days and lots of sun.
As we are heading down the Rhône valley we might detour to Carro for a day or two.

Richard.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Calais , dunkirk, lille namur luxembourg ring road round south and then IIRC A1 to Trier no tolls by diesel anywhere once in Lux E1.13 on thurs last HTSH @Jimbohorlicks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back