Mercedes vario 814 self build bus to FLT palace (4 Viewers)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
As it is my crossing went up £8 from yesterday when i checked it ....
It does this! if you check the price without booking and the check again it remembers your IP address and increases the price in an effort to encourage you to book thinking that prices are rising for your given date. Sharp Practice me thinks.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It does this! if you check the price without booking and the check again it remembers your IP address and increases the price in an effort to encourage you to book thinking that prices are rising for your given date. Sharp Practice me thinks.
Yeah you would think the closer it got to departure date the price would come down to fill the trains but instead it seems to go up....i hate pre booking anything to be honest

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If you delete your cookies, it often gives better prices.
Not just chunnel, but flights n accommodation etc. 🍷
Years ago I found a ferry (P&O) at the right time and the right price. Wrote all the details and ran it by the boss, she agreed, went back and it had gone up £30.00 😳 cleared all my cookies, no change. Went to my brothers and got the £30.00 discount back! Robbing bar stewards 🤬🤬

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Clearing cookies stops than or private browsing

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Clearing cookies stops than or private browsing
Can you clear cookies without losing saved passwords ? Also can you explain private browsing how and why
Thank you from an internet idiot :)
As i said im not sure that would have worked this time ...when i looked yesterday on my phone it was the £130 but when i booked it today i was on my tablet which is a different network provider etc ....so it couldn't have been cookies but possibly my registration number as you have to enter that before you get prices etc .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Just sold my wee suzuki ....and i got enough for that to cover the cost i bought it for ...every repair ive done to it and my Eurotunnel crossing so thats a result . 😁

But it does look a lot better than it did when i bought it ...
20211021_150457.jpg

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Did you get rid of the "takeaway" aroma?

Bet your[ex] boss is sad to be losing his #1 delivery driver... again.
It never had one to be honest ..windows were always open and i gave it a full valet a few days ago .

Aye but not been at that takeaway since june ..i moved to another one with an earlier finish ...but yeah hes not too pleased im leaving as he struggles to keep drivers. ... don't think id go back to him though as he's very tight

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I bought this bus unseen a few months back while i was still in Greece with the plan to replace my exsisting hymer with something more suitable for off grid use and fulltime living. Now that its been MOT tested and changed from a PSV to an HGV i can hopefully progress with the build.

Vehicle. Mercedes benz vario 814d
7.5 tonne gross weight , 7.3 metres long, 2.2 metres wide, 3 metres high. 4250cc engine ,5 speed manual transmission, rear wheel drive. Current mileage 441530km , 1 previous owner, full mercedes benz service record.

I plan to convert it to a luxury 2 berth fulltime camper.

This is how i bought it View attachment 485698View attachment 485699View attachment 485700View attachment 485701View attachment 485703View attachment 485704View attachment 485705

Pics of work done so far to follow

I also have an Instagram account for the build @kouros_the_vario feel free to follow.
When you said that you changed the tax to HGV I presume you meant PRIVATE HGV (same as horseboxes) as the tax used to be cheaper (probably still is?
When I did an old double decker back in 2013, it suddenly went from £500 a year to £110, even less than taxing it as Private & Light Goods which was £135 I think?

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Also if someone could explain a tacho to me so i know how to switch it off that would be handy ...i seem to get one or 2 red lights on it when driving. I dont need to use it but would be handy to make sure its not using battery etc
You don't need a tacho IF it's only being used privately, not sure about the electronic tacho that use a credit sized card but the old tacho had a drive attached to the gearbox.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Sorry if all the above advice has already been given, only just found this thread on Jim weekend roundup.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
When you said that you changed the tax to HGV I presume you meant PRIVATE HGV (same as horseboxes) as the tax used to be cheaper (probably still is?
When I did an old double decker back in 2013, it suddenly went from £500 a year to £110, even less than taxing it as Private & Light Goods which was £135 I think?
It wasn't the tax i changed it was the mot category from psv bus to hgv van.

The HGV tax is the same price as the phgv tax both are £165 currently. Not taxed at present as it doesn't go on the road.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You don't need a tacho IF it's only being used privately, not sure about the electronic tacho that use a credit sized card but the old tacho had a drive attached to the gearbox.
I knew I didn't need it just unsure how to put the lights out ...but discovered one light was for no disc in tacho the other as it was over the set speed.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
It sometimes pays to make the next enquiry on a different device.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I knew I didn't need it just unsure how to put the lights out ...but discovered one light was for no disc in tacho the other as it was over the set speed.

As has been said before, a 2man tacho had a thin plastic disc in the second position. I'm sure lots of old driver have one 'somewhere' (usually in their orange folder) BUT if not, use a tacho disc as a template on a piece of thin plastic. (One day I will have enough time to read the full 91 pages, good luck!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back