Mercedes vario 814 self build bus to FLT palace (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The issue the auld boy i bought it from regarding the diesel running back and it taking a few attempts to start seems to be happening a bit more often ...which is a little worrying . Not sure if its due to it being a bit colder. It does always start eventually but still not the best ....but not a clue whats causing it

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Tam, have a look at the breather hole on the filler cap. If it’s blocked or has had the wrong cap fitted. The tank could be vacuuming causing the diesel to be pulled back.
Perhaps try leaving the diesel cap off.
& after that put a non return valve in the line or a bulb pumpwhich will also do the same job.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Tam, have a look at the breather hole on the filler cap. If it’s blocked or has had the wrong cap fitted. The tank could be vacuuming causing the diesel to be pulled back.
Perhaps try leaving the diesel cap off.
Breather and cap looks fine i had all that stripped off when i first got it and was painting the plastics .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Breather and cap looks fine i had all that stripped off when i first got it and was painting the plastics .
Check all the fuel line connections particularly the the fuel filter connections the slightest virtually undetectable air leak will cause that problem.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
A week on monday im heading off ...unless my car sells quick then i might head off a bit earlier.

Been trying to start packing some stuff in the iveco today ...not as much handy storage in this van that's accessible quickly.
Don’t wait longer then strictly necessary would be my advice, I see some silly restrictions being imposed again across Europe , with some border trouble, cases on the Covid front are absolutely skyrocketing so panic is setting in once again,

Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
If you haven’t already done so take a look at Glastonbury burners, they have a good name with a lot of full timers. Has a waiting list at present I know

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
The issue the auld boy i bought it from regarding the diesel running back and it taking a few attempts to start seems to be happening a bit more often ...which is a little worrying . Not sure if its due to it being a bit colder. It does always start eventually but still not the best ....but not a clue whats causing it
Just a suggestion.......Does it have a primer in the diesel filter housing for bleeding system? If so the internal diaphragm may have perished letting in air? Bit of clear pipe at filter at highest point will let you see if air accumulates.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Just a suggestion.......Does it have a primer in the diesel filter housing for bleeding system? If so the internal diaphragm may have perished letting in air? Bit of clear pipe at filter at highest point will let you see if air accumulates.
Has it got a hand primer on the fuel filter housing?
If so and it starts OK after priming fairly certain its an air leak.
Not sure ...never noticed ill check it in a bit

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
No sign of a prime bulb or any leaks at the filter housing

20211023_113550.jpg
20211023_113555.jpg

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
i assume the broken blue pipe was to the airhorns
Blue pipe was for the airhorns ....i removed the compressor and the pipe from inside to the engine bay but ive not removed the horns themselves yet ...

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
have you scanned it for codes?do you have a scanner that shows live data?#
No I don't have one....ive only a cheap code reader but unless any lights on dash it never picks up anything. It doesn't do it all the time either ...had it started 3 times today and fired up straight away.

As i said it does always start eventually ... sometimes you have to turn ignition on and off a couple of times and pump pedal when turning key but it will then fire up. Hopefully it keeps doing that and ill manage for this trip 😁 ive got breakdown cover just in case lol.

Its not easy getting under it etc as its out on the street or nosed in to drive at best ...and to be honest i cant be bothered crawling around under it ....im in dire need of a holiday now ..the cold and damp is getting to me. Last night of work for this week and im advertising the car tomorrow . If it sells for the asking price i might head off a few days earlier than planned. If it doesn't then im working next Thursday Friday Saturday again then ill be heading off Sunday or monday.

Holding off moving in to the camper for now as don't want to be out on the street in it so im still slowly moving stuff in to it and trying to find places to put stuff.

I miss having a garage and storage areas lol

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Looks dry enough Tam but it could be sucking air somewhere?
Yeah possibly ...i even wondered if maybe theyve tapped into a pipe somewhere for the diesel heater rather than fitting a tank dip.
Wouldn't surprise as its been fitted by a cowboy lol ...no silencer and no airfilter 🤦‍♂️

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well that's my tunnel crossing booked for tuesday 2nd at 18.20 . Thats the most expensive ive ever paid for the tunnel they really are becoming highway robbers ...£133 for the van and £44 for the dogs .

Now hopefully i dont have any problems with wullie before then

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That was cheaper than end of September they wanted £160 (that was with 10% discount) so we took the ferry for £83.
It varies depending on the time of day too ...if id wanted to travel between 10am and 6pm it was £160 -180 .

As it is my crossing went up £8 from yesterday when i checked it ....

I looked at the ferry the other week but it was much the same price. I remember crossing dover to calias for £50 before so its went mental

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back