Mercedes Vario 814 Build - Our New Fulltime Home (2 Viewers)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Hanomag I think
Yes I always thought that but having had a look the merc is an L319 & production started in 1956 whereas the Hanomag F series started in 1967 until 73 when merc bought them out?
What I don’t understand is that it’s parked on pavement outside a big house in a moneyed
area & the doors can’t have been opened in 20 years.

0-02-0a-62e64b31c42b3b32f7c6274a2d8d11d581f80d33b2d50f94a966afe742f6eb5e_31d298a5ce698f33.jpg

I have been seeing this for years. Parked outside a detached house hidden away by a lay bay just deteriorating over the years.Sad.

0-02-0a-d50fc88d20d952d01d70b03e58ba28e642c99aa88d8f94cf374182b5f633ff6e_218b571dc2b55c3e.jpg

Very rare the gate is ever open.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hi John,

I can't comment on anyone else's reasons for buying/wanting a Vario, but I'll give you mine.

The main one is reliability. Like loads of others, I've had lots of issues with modern cars/vans. A Vario is simple and well built, with an engine nicknamed "the million mile engine". Basically, if looked after, they go on forever.

The second is the floor space. Mine is 7.4m long, with a load space of 5.4m long and 2m wide = 10.8m2. My current LWB Boxer (6m) has a load space of 3.7m long x 1.83m wide = 6.75m2. There are quite a few different lengths available, longer and shorter.

Third is the height. Great ground clearance (plus rear wheel drive) gives loads of space for tanks etc underneath, plus a nice high driving position. Also I can have the windows open and most wouldn't be able to see inside.

Lastly, I just love them. The look, the sound, the build quality, the simplicity and how they drive. Always have. I like all the old Merc vans and the Vario was the last of them. Don't think there's anything like them now built sadly.

The downsides are they are a bit more to run (around 22mpg seems the average) and like most Mercs, are prone to rust. I was lucky with mine as most of the bodywork had already been sorted by Northernraider (who I bought it from). It's definitely a vehicle to buy with eyes open, as a lot of YouTubers have found out the hard way.

Another plus or minus might be the weight. These are a 7.5t truck. On the minus side, you need a C1 licence to drive it. On the plus side it has a payload of well over 3t :giggle:

I'm sure others have different opinions, but these are mine.
Much the same reasons I love them , and with having problems yet again with a fiat engined motorhome the 33 year old vario I've got sitting in the drive waiting is becoming more and more appealing.

Jan 3, 2013
St.Neots Cambs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I-414
Exp
2002-2006, 2013-current
Hi John,

I can't comment on anyone else's reasons for buying/wanting a Vario, but I'll give you mine.

The main one is reliability. Like loads of others, I've had lots of issues with modern cars/vans. A Vario is simple and well built, with an engine nicknamed "the million mile engine". Basically, if looked after, they go on forever.

The second is the floor space. Mine is 7.4m long, with a load space of 5.4m long and 2m wide = 10.8m2. My current LWB Boxer (6m) has a load space of 3.7m long x 1.83m wide = 6.75m2. There are quite a few different lengths available, longer and shorter.

Third is the height. Great ground clearance (plus rear wheel drive) gives loads of space for tanks etc underneath, plus a nice high driving position. Also I can have the windows open and most wouldn't be able to see inside.

Lastly, I just love them. The look, the sound, the build quality, the simplicity and how they drive. Always have. I like all the old Merc vans and the Vario was the last of them. Don't think there's anything like them now built sadly.

The downsides are they are a bit more to run (around 22mpg seems the average) and like most Mercs, are prone to rust. I was lucky with mine as most of the bodywork had already been sorted by Northernraider (who I bought it from). It's definitely a vehicle to buy with eyes open, as a lot of YouTubers have found out the hard way.

Another plus or minus might be the weight. These are a 7.5t truck. On the minus side, you need a C1 licence to drive it. On the plus side it has a payload of well over 3t :giggle:

I get the simplicity absolutely, my first Hymer was a 1990 564 with the 2.5 Fiat chassis-simple, mechanical, and basically bulletproof. My next Hymer was a 2006 655 Starline so a Mercedes Sprinter 2.7 with a Sprintshift gearbox, rear wheel drive, again fairly bulletproof but we are now into vehicle electronics. Current Hymer is an Exsis 414, only 6 meters long based on a 2.3 Ducato so fully electronic. My last VW Golf was ruined by VW’s ‘emissions fix’ it had done 140,000 miles when they ‘upgraded’ the software, kept going into limp home mode after that and no one could prevent it from doing it so I traded it in……. Simple works for me but I would need an automatic since a heavy clutch would be a problem since I broke my left hip last year-at 74 it ain’t going to get any better than it is now unfortunately.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
What I don’t understand is that it’s parked on pavement outside a big house in a moneyed
area & the doors can’t have been opened in 20 years.
I wouldn't be so sure - the tyres look well inflated, and there's no debris under it. My neighbours left a car outside in the road and after 18 months it was obvious it wasn't moving from all the dirt under it (Silly sod SORN'd it, and woke up one morning to a big yellow DVLA clamp!). Wherever that old Merc has been it hasn't been sat there for long.

Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
Hi John,

Another reason that I like them, is the complete lack of tumblehome.

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Another reason that I like them, is the complete lack of tumblehome.
That's a good point. Makes building a van a lot easier and gives a lot more usable space (y)

The Vario does taper a little, but nowhere near as much as other vans. Plus it's more a straight taper.

(I had to Google tumblehome ;) )

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Saw this one on Murter island Croatia last week. Not sure how close the blue is to yours Wissel but I liked it.

696C7303-DC23-440B-BE16-590424BB0FC8.jpeg

C1058AD3-E059-47AA-AA8A-C1DD18F8B434.jpeg

I couldn’t get too close as the couple were sat outside!

Aug 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
chausson
I would love one but only with the auto box which do exist according to Tam, but not many about I think , went to look at one in Norwich area, a while ago, was in fab condition but couldn’t live with heavy clutch, and as I like a lot of space, probably should just get a Mercedes’ Atego base with a auto gearbox and then bring it to you wissel😇😎😆
You could fit a servo assisted clutch pedal?

Aug 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
chausson
Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
An awful lot of money, but a van that looks like it rolled out of the factory last week.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17542813...d=link&campid=5338547443&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
He's been trying to sell that now for 18 months ..he even raised the price at one point . But anyone serious about buying one of those would do the same as he did . Buy it in Germany for half that price

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
How is thingsWissel ? We could do with an update and lots of photos lol😎😇

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
He's probably gone into hiding as he's heard that Tam's bought another Merc! :LOL:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Lol the only reason he's building the one he has is because it's now his , he not building it for me.

I bought one to build myself not have someone else do it😉
.... you said that last time! :LOL:

(you do realise I'm just pulling your leg don't you!)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
.... you said that last time! :LOL:

(you do realise I'm just pulling your leg don't you!)
I do but I also dont know why folk keep saying that Dave's worried about me buying another van lol. He kindly offered to hell me out putting the euramobil back to original after bodjit bills carnage but he wasnt ever building my vario for me, I want to do it myself that was the point of it.

I do however want to see what he does with his one now as I put a lot of work tears and even blood Into that van so i feel invested in it in some way.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back