Mercedes Vario 814 Build - Our New Fulltime Home (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
As a lot of you know, I bought Northernraider Vario from him a few weeks ago and I promised to do a thread on the build. So here it starts.

I've always loved and wanted a Vario, but the state the bodywork can be in scares the hell out of me. Because of this, I've never come close to buying one. Tam had already done most of the work on his that I find terrifying. Not only that, he had documented it all here on Fun with 100's of images of the work in various stages.

When it looked like it might be available, it was just too tempting :giggle:

A few conversations and the sale was agreed. Tam would bring his new Palace down to me to fix a bodge the previous owner had done, then I'd jump in with him up to Scotland to collect my new home.

300 miles later and the Vario is here at my workshop. Not the quietest drive as the van currently has no floor, but with earplugs it was fine. The van drives beautifully, the gearbox is great, the brakes and running gear are good - it was far better than I'd hoped. I mean tatty - yeah (obviously I knew this before buying), but a blank canvas with the vast majority of the bodywork sorted. It's just cosmetic and with a little bodywork and a nice paint job it will look really good. More importantly, because of all the work already done, it will last (y)

So here is how it is now:
20220418_194620010_iOS.jpg
20220418_194558128_iOS.jpg
20220418_194547937_iOS.jpg
20220418_193513082_iOS.jpg
I also have a ton of bits that Tam dropped off while here, but to be honest I haven't had time to see what's there yet.

So, the plan.

This van is for us. It will be our new fulltime home. It also needs to be a bit of a showpiece for work. We want plenty of space for the two of us and the dog, plus the room to take nieces & nephews away at weekends etc.

This is the layout we are pretty happy with:
Vario-5.4-Master.jpg

The rear of the van is the same as our current van. It works for us so don't fix what ain't broke. The bathroom is much larger (145cm x 90cm at it's widest points) and will have a marine toilet (probably) and a rain head shower set high in a skylight. The dinette converts into a fair size bed (200cm x 90cm) and there will be a drop down bed across the cab.

The drop down will only be 5'9" wide, but will be 120cm deep. I always loved overcabs as a kid, so hoping the nieces and nephews will love it up there.

The kitchen is 1.5m long plus a 60cm flip up surface across the door. A 2.1m long kitchen - pure luxury :LOL:

There's then a ton of storage and a great sized boot.

This van (currently) has a payload of 3.8t, meaning we can carry more water etc. There will be a 350l fresh, 350l grey and 250l black tank. If I can fit a little more fresh in I will. There will also be a 70l gas tank.

Power wise, 900w of solar, 460Ah LiFePO4 and a lot of Victron gear. Inverter will be on full time to provide 240v for the fridge and other things.

Oh, the colour. The colour will be a deep red with black around the bottom, kind of like these ish:

Red Black Vario.png
red vario.jpeg

Think that will do for now.

I'm snowed under with work at the moment, but hoping to get some time next month the get it painted. Then, work permitting, I'll hopefully get it done ready for the Overland show in September. Hopefully is optimistic :cool:

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Good luck with the fit out, I'm sure it will be great when finished.
U may or may not know but u can get sound deadening floor coverings I used to have some in my old landy up around the bulkhead on over the gearbox really effective.
Like the sound of the shower head are u going to plumb it for mains connection or u are going to need a big watering can.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Good luck with the fit out, I'm sure it will be great when finished.
U may or may not know but u can get sound deadening floor coverings I used to have some in my old landy up around the bulkhead on over the gearbox really effective.
Like the sound of the shower head are u going to plumb it for mains connection or u are going to need a big watering can.
I'm going to fit sound deadening all around (I have in my current van) before insulating (y)

The rain head will be plumbed to an iMass instant water heater - again, the same as we have in our current van.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
The best one I found at the time (yes ago now) was a thick felt with a thin layer of lead embedded in it cost a lot and weighted a ton but u have plenty of payload. Time and technology have probably improved what's currently available.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Looking forward to the build thread, just as I was looking forward to Tam doing it, that red looks fantastic, good luck with it and hoping it all goes smoothly for you👍👍

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Wow - looks like a fantastic base! Following with keen interest! 😎

When we chatted up at Sutton-on-Sea last year, you were suggesting a 6.5T Iveco chassis build was the dream… what’s changed? Just too good an option to turn down? 🤔

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Are you having the fresh and waste tanks outside or inside, have you thought about winterisation yet and the water system, windscreen etc?
The fresh tank is going inside (one of the dinette seats) and both waste tanks will be outside, but in a double skin which can be heated.

Water system will be very similar to our current van - 3M filtering, all domestic plumbing, 40psi pump with accumulator, iMass instant heater and solenoid dumps.

Regarding the cab insulation, the drop down bed will be insulated and the curtain parts will be insulated and blackout. Behind the front seats are 2 half height bulkheads that the drop down will rest onto. There's then a gate between the bulkheads (again, insulated) so the cab area is pretty cut off.

The gate also makes it easier with the dog and travelling (y)

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Wow - looks like a fantastic base! Following with keen interest! 😎

When we chatted up at Sutton-on-Sea last year, you were suggesting a 6.5T Iveco chassis build was the dream… what’s changed? Just too good an option to turn down? 🤔
Yeah exactly that - always wanted a Vario and the right one came available (y)

I still want to build the chassis build, but to do that how I want it the costs are pretty high - so will have to wait.

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
We have a rain shower at home but it has a normal handholdable shower head as well with variable jet. The rain shower doesnt work well on groinal areas unless you can stand on your head.
That's what we'll be fitting (same as you have). It's one of the few things from our old house I miss (y)

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Log burner?
That was Tam's "must have"
Sadly not.

Heating will be mainly diesel. Likely 3 x 2k units, one in the cab, one in the back and one in the middle.

This will mean we can run just one at full power (diesel heaters like this) or two if needed - and have redundancy (they are so cheap it hardly matters). Can also run the cab one when driving or to pre-heat the cab before travelling if really cold.

Went with diesel as LPG is getting harder to get. Figure using LPG for cooking and hot water will mean it lasts months, so loads of time to find a place with stock.

Will also be fitting electric underfloor heating.

Our current van is solar sufficient between March and November and the Vario will have more solar. The rest of the year we go on hookup anyway, and underfloor heating is cheap and fairly efficient for these months (y)

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Sadly not.

Heating will be mainly diesel. Likely 3 x 2k units, one in the cab, one in the back and one in the middle.

This will mean we can run just one at full power (diesel heaters like this) or two if needed - and have redundancy (they are so cheap it hardly matters). Can also run the cab one when driving or to pre-heat the cab before travelling if really cold.

Went with diesel as LPG is getting harder to get. Figure using LPG for cooking and hot water will mean it lasts months, so loads of time to find a place with stock.

Will also be fitting electric underfloor heating.

Our current van is solar sufficient between March and November and the Vario will have more solar. The rest of the year we go on hookup anyway, and underfloor heating is cheap and fairly efficient for these months (y)
Not planning to do a tam then and maximise the solar, what could you get on the roof as an absoluut maximum solar power wise if you wanted to?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a rain shower at home but it has a normal handholdable shower head as well with variable jet. The rain shower doesnt work well on groinal areas unless you can stand on your head.
A large funnel with a length of hose attached should solve the issue of reaching certain nether regions. 😄

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Not planning to do a tam then and maximise the solar, what could you get on the roof as an absoluut maximum solar power wise if you wanted to?
Not sure tbh. Probably nearer 2kw?

Would be a waste though with just 460Ah of battery (imo)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back