Lost husband, dog & motorhome (1 Viewer)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You just hit the nail on the head(y)

20 years ago "OK so you want to go to uni to study ceramics, right here is you degree, now where do you get a job".
"Oh I'll be alright dad".
Yes, she left uni with her piece of paper and got a job, waitress at TGI Friday. She's now a hard working postie. Lovely girl but she could have done so much better.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
The biggest con is University. Thousands of kids went to technical colleges, got useful skills and supported themselves. Then they all morphed into Unis, now the same kids are thinking "I'm uni educated, the world is my oyster".

Now we have skilled craftsmen from Poland, doing a grand job, and bewildered kids wondering why a degree in Coronation Street is not delivering the easy life.

Dont I know it.

Fortunately my 3 off spring decided Uni wasn't for them.

Daughter No 1 did sixth form, 1 year pre Uni as she wanted to do graphic design then dropped out and self taught front end web development

Daughter No 2 worked for a dentist and became a dental nurse with proper papers etc

Son No 3 not interested in Uni got offered 2 apprenticeships in engineering and took the most technical one. Now fully trained indentured Engineer.

The Yoof were sold a dream, think it started with Labour, unfortunately each of us have different skill sets and instead of this being promoted as it was back in the day every one has to be a brain surgeon it would seem.

On the subject of our Eastern Europeans skill sets, not all are as good or enthusiastic as some would have you believe :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
On the subject of our Eastern Europeans skill sets, not all are as good or enthusiastic as some would have you believe :)
Very true.
I was involved buiding our tech college sports hall a few years ago.
Two east european agency joiners were employed to fit emergency doors.
Took them over a day to fit a double door between them....back to front,
I'm a sparky but i could fit them faster.
Emergency doors ALWAYS open outwards, in the direction of the escape route.
These clowns fitted them opening inwards.
They had to remove the frame and refit correctly then told not to return..

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
@pappajohn Im a chippy and seen some "interesting" sights to say the least.

I was watching a program on TV extolling the virtues of Eastern workers in the building.

They were interviewing 3 or 4 of them refurbing a house in London I think.
Asked about who did the electrics, plumbing and gas, we do came the answer.
Trouble was not one of them was qualified or registered to do the above.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The Yoof were sold a dream, think it started with Labour, unfortunately each of us have different skill sets and instead of this being promoted as it was back in the day every one has to be a brain surgeon it would seem.

Well lets assume all our kids could easily make brain surgeon - so what, the world does not need many brain surgeons. The world does need millions of all the old skills.

And without knocking brain surgeons, a lot of the skill is identical to a carpenter. And right now robotic arms are doing more delicate operations than a human can. Robotic arms are capable of better than ten times the accuracy of the best human.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
BOG OFF YOU !!!!!

:( The school run starts again tomorrow.. So back to the grindstone for me, waiting for the Daughter to find a better job so we can get back to travelling.. Anyway my son due out next week (8th) so Tonka Towers will be open for business..
Back in the coconut with my better half. So hot today, missing you, how was the school run?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
This university thing is a con as they want ALL of the young in debt up to their eyes as that way they will remain as debt slaves all their lives, it is one of the actual aims of the New World Order . An elite at the top a few minions lower down known as useful idiots and masses of the working slaves at the bottom.. Starting with ÂŁ30000 before getting a job get you right off on the right step.. They are even making Policemen HAVE to get a degree before taking them on. Nurses, you name it, no job getting enough to pay off the compound interest building every day from that first student debt, by working in the job they wanted in the first place. CON, IT IS A CON.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
And robots for menial tasks will lengthen the dole queues for ever.

Yes indeed. I've watched it for 30 years. People cost so bring in the robots. It's not just their wages, it's the taxes and insurance for them. And when did a robot ever demand a rise ? The first big round was banking. All those ledgers and pieces of paper - gone. In factories, all manner of automation to reduce skills and get two or three men's work out of one. The big high racks with automatic loading. It goes on and on.

Of course this The Dream in the 60s, the machines will do all the work and we'll sit at home relaxing. They did not fully understand how it would really work. Well they probably did but did not tell the plebs the full story.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm glad a few folk still go to university. Like my dentist, who has a very nice dental nurse who didn't. And the orthopedic surgeon who was prodding Mrs DBK this morning to see how the bone graft he had completed on her was getting on. He explained what he had done, it was very clever, a sort of "advanced Lego". For example, not taking the donor bone from the edge of the pelvis, which is the normal route, because a lot of muscles are attached there.

Me? ONC from a technical college and degree in Mechanical Engineering from a Polytechnic. However, I rarely used what I learned on the course in real life. A typical degree is still a bit basic. :)

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Me? ONC from a technical college and degree in Mechanical Engineering from a Polytechnic. However, I rarely used what learned on the course in real life. A typical degree is still a bit basic. :)

I agree. My degree hasn't been much use.

My advanced diploma in bullshit though has been invaluable(y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
And robots for menial tasks will lengthen the dole queues for ever.

Today I went in local Coop for first time since it was gutted and remodelled.

One of the biggest changes, a reduction of checkout stations and two new DIY self checkout points.

Maybe 4 less staff to pay.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Yes indeed. I've watched it for 30 years. People cost so bring in the robots. It's not just their wages, it's the taxes and insurance for them. And when did a robot ever demand a rise ? The first big round was banking. All those ledgers and pieces of paper - gone. In factories, all manner of automation to reduce skills and get two or three men's work out of one. The big high racks with automatic loading. It goes on and on.

Of course this The Dream in the 60s, the machines will do all the work and we'll sit at home relaxing. They did not fully understand how it would really work. Well they probably did but did not tell the plebs the full story.
I heard of a story where a major manufacturer wanted to save a lot of money. So all workers are now worried for their jobs etc. In comes the "Fixer". What was his recommendation - no jobs to be lost, but switch off the shop floor lights. Robots don't need to see what they are doing. - saved thousands in electric bill.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Robots don't need to see what they are doing. - saved thousands in electric bill.

Nothing to do with your cost cutting tale but modern machines are pretty staggering......

Many do in fact "look" but would have their own lighting. Some pick and place machines that build computer boards check part position by looking. The machines that splice fibre optic cable by laser welding line up the fibres visually.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Recently toured the Mini assembly plant at Cowley. Staffing at its height was 28,000. Now 4,500 supervise the Swedish robots who do the job better. Each car has been ordered and the robots know what specification each is. Staggering is the right word Brian... BMW have invested ÂŁ1.4bn here and it's the most advanced assembly plant in the world.

I am very glad I don't have any children - I can worry a bit, (but not much) about my sister's instead!

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
This seems appropriate at this point! Stolen from Facebook!
Facebook cartoon.jpg

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Staffing at its height was 28,000. Now 4,500 supervise the Swedish robots

You have seen the future and it's pretty grim for us lot.

We are living on the brink of science fiction. The "Terminator" scenario could so easily happen.

I think most of us will remember the start of all this, headed by the man nick-named Red Robbo.

And when trains become driverless we'll be able to another name to the list.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back