LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Yes, every summer for several years fishing. My favourite was the isle of Senja but all of the Lofoten has fantastic scenery. If you do go take as much provisions as you can carry, everything is at least double the price of the UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks, aware of prices and as far as I can make out loads of wild camping places to stop overnight and a few free service areas for dump and fresh water.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Anyone been. I would welcome your comments and recommendations.
somewhere ive always wanted to visit as well.. and next summer im off to Svolvaer, for a weeks paddling in the area around there..
one day id like to get there in the van as well..
im pretty sure DavidG58 David and Bev made it up there a year or so back..
Andy

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We did get there in 2017, not as expensive as we feared but we did take a lot of frozen meat (chicken and mince ) plus quite a bit of gin and tonic, tolls were more than we expected, especially getting up there, we went via Denmark to Sweden and spent well over £200 just bridge tolls, then another similar sum on tolls in Norway

it is a long way, but I think we will go back again one day, awesome aurora sightings in September, scenery impressive but Scotland can almost give as good, aires good value and masses of free options

the ferries don’t run across to Senja from after August and we didn’t have enough time to drive round, I want to there next time and Tromso, so might just do Nordkap as well

I hopefully have linked to our trip below

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Fantastic place. Been there in both summer and snowy winter. Not in the van yet, though.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Just been chatting with a friend from Oslo about us maybe visiting Norway
She recommended visiting Senja in Troms and invited us to stay with her family for a few days respite from the campervan at Fauske before heading further north we're meeting up in a few weeks so hopefully we might be able to convince Diane it's a good idea.

PhilandMena Ive been following Chefcampers on FB who did the Arctic Circle in a VW camper along with their dog.

Attachments

• IMG_7702.PNG
    IMG_7702.PNG
    217.5 KB · Views: 17

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
We,ve done 2 trips around scandinavia but not bothered with lofoton yet.There's some fantastic scenery in spring,we went in may,and in autumn,we went in september.Summer is the busiest time and also when the midges are about.
Judging by the number of threads it,s getting to be a popular destination.
I posted this before but here's my first trip using polarsteps
Scandinavia in may
Here,s the recent one looking for the aurora borealis and fishing
Looking for the Aurora in lapland

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
We didn't make the Lofotan's this time around ,that will be a future adventure.
But the trip as per Pete's (Leftlegger ) links was truly amazing.
The Aurora borealis season just starting was the main purpose ,any thing else was a bonus ,we weren't dissapointed

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Yes went there on our tour of Europe in 2016, one of the most beautiful places in Europe IMHO.
We went on all the ferries going along route 17 on the west coast, this forms part of your motorhome based fjord cruise and sight seeing tour.
I also did that route to get my Nordkapp badge in 2013.

The Norwegians are planning a 60 billion (or something like that) new highway up to the north. So these communities (and a lot else) will rapidly change as mass tourism is made easier and the ferries will disappear.

20160606_210647.jpg

On the ferry from Bodo.
20160605_154522.jpg
20160605_132233.jpg
20160605_160257.jpg

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Yes, every summer for several years fishing. My favourite was the isle of Senja but all of the Lofoten has fantastic scenery. If you do go take as much provisions as you can carry, everything is at least double the price of the UK.
We were in Norway earlier this year, bought a wine package for 6 bottles of wine on the Hutigruten Ferry going up to North Cape,
20190302_101706.jpg
20190302_161317.jpg
20190301_195813.jpg
when the bill arrived it was £315 .00 over £50 qwids a bottle, Beer was around £12 for a large one. Lovely country great scenery but damned expensive.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I only ever went up there for one thing and that was the best fishing in Europe. Sea, lake or river. Where else in Europe can you stop at the side of the road get a rod out and 10 minutes later have half a dozen trout ready for gutting and BBQing.
Where else can you spend 4 hours on a Rana open boat and have to bring your catch back because your arms ache so much you physically cannot pull any more up.
What will you pay to fish salmon in Scotland and how many would you catch in a week. Fishing the Lax, you would have to be a blind fisherman using old socks for bait not to catch one before lunchtime first day.
100_0267.JPG
100_0316.JPG
img025.jpg

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Just seen a video of a couple in a camper-van touring these Islands in Norway. Gob-smacked, the scenery is amazing and I now have this place on my Radar.

Anyone been. I would welcome your comments and recommendations.

We did it in 2014.......... Beautiful place ?

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
I only ever went up there for one thing and that was the best fishing in Europe. Sea, lake or river. Where else in Europe can you stop at the side of the road get a rod out and 10 minutes later have half a dozen trout ready for gutting and BBQing.
Where else can you spend 4 hours on a Rana open boat and have to bring your catch back because your arms ache so much you physically cannot pull any more up.
What will you pay to fish salmon in Scotland and how many would you catch in a week. Fishing the Lax, you would have to be a blind fisherman using old socks for bait not to catch one before lunchtime first day.
View attachment 344882View attachment 344883View attachment 344887
That looks like fun fishing, spent a whole day on Ullswater did not even get a bite. Make note take rods next time. Happy fishing

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'd love to go as well - not just because of the scenery but also because the Y-chromosome of my Dad's DNA is unusual and the only cluster appears to be from there. Or maybe not enough people have tested to show up as clusters elsewhere :)

I was already aware of the Nordic connection from other research so not that surprising that I am descended from the Battle Ax people!

Last edited:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We are planning on going for a few months next year. We were thinking of May, June and July.

Anyone think those months are good or when would be better?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Went,to Nordkap, couple years ago but due to probs with van had to miss Lofotens. Intend to go to next May/June.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We are planning on going for a few months next year. We were thinking of May, June and July.

Anyone think those months are good or when would be better?

We went twice, first time mid May to end of August, we had to wait until 6th June for a pass on the Wilderness Route to open, as it happens the weather had been so hot, most of the snow had melted by the time we got there. The next trip we went a bit later, but felt the mosquitos were more rife, this was in Sweden, spent a lot of time on the Norwegian coast fishing, not so many mozzies.

Fishing licences required on Swedish lakes and rivers, probably Norwegian ones too, no licence required if fishing in sea waters which includes fjords. Much bigger fish too.

We crossed into Norway via the Wilderness Route, Stromsund to Gaddede

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
The Lofotens are amazing. Sadly they are getting over subscribed now though. We noticed a difference since our time there last year compared to our current trip. A lot of the parking places now have chains across or signs prohibiting overnight parking.

P1020677 2.jpg

P1020413.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back