Leave the milk out, cancel the papers - forget it! (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I've posted about this before but why do folk keep using social media (including FUN) to tell everyone (including the scrotes) ? :

An Avatar that includes their name

Their address (sometimes with images)

Pictures of their vehicles and reg numbers

Details of their immediate travel plans

Time away from home (sometimes months) which may invalidate insurance etc

A recent thread did exactly that giving immediate plans to travel to Spain, photo and reg of vehicle and home address - a village - not hard for the scrotes

Please be careful - sometimes we think we are only communicating with 'friends' - not always so

Stay safe(y)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well when I go off I take my house and everything I own with me so I should be alright.

But yeah I've seen loads of folk practically say I'm off on holiday for a couple of weeks come rob me gaff

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Well when I go off I take my house and everything I own with me so I should be alright.

(y)

51p%2B4TbB9oL._SY374_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
I’ve said it before but it only takes a few minutes to break into a house. If my car isn’t on the drive, then it stands a good chance that I am out shopping , walking the dog or suchlike and won’t be back anytime soon.

Agree - but you don't leave a note saying you're out for weeks on end on the front door;)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I’ve said it before but it only takes a few minutes to break into a house. If my car isn’t on the drive, then it stands a good chance that I am out shopping , walking the dog or suchlike and won’t be back anytime soon.
The trick is to change your cars regularly and always have more than 1 :p

No one could ever keep up with my changing vehicles.

I've only been back 4 weeks and I've changed motorhomes and I'm on my 2nd car lol

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I can picture them all in my minds eye. Sitting at their screens searching online forums for hour after relentless hour in the off chance they see someone they might recognise from a place they vaguely know boasting they are on/heading off on holidays.
It just doesn't happen.
If they know the name, address, registration, make, model etc they already know the person and will know if they are away without the help of online media.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Agree - but you don't leave a note saying you're out for weeks on end on the front door;)

But surely they will only break in once in that time? Well, actually, they may take a look at the size of my old tv and second-hand furniture and leave me something nice :)

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
But surely they will only break in once in that time? Well, actually, they may take a look at the size of my old tv and second-hand furniture and leave me something nice :)

True but giving them weeks or even months to break in rather than minutes or hours might make a difference(y)

Time to get you a really nice TV;)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
When it normally happens here they clear the whole place out.Nothing left whatsoever.:(
I remember one bloke on a forum who told us what dates he was going on holiday for 3 weeks .Then someone new joined & mentioned where he lived which was obviously near this bloke who then proceeded to tell him ,& everyone else, how to get to his house & the number . :LOL:
When I asked how good he'd been in his job as a crime prevention officer he never spoke again to me:rofl:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i know a family that went on a package holiday and got home to find the house empty. the thieves turned up with a removals van and nobody questioned it as the house had been for sale. they took literally their entire contents. police said it was because the wife had been telling nearly everybody she knew about the upcoming holiday and house for sale

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Our family live with us so house always occupied but I do restrict info on social media. I have wondered if members map adds to the risk but our addresses etc are probably available somewhere for those looking.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs

I was about to post similar. If anyone is so desperate they want anything from my house, I'd give it to them.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I got burgled in London in the late 1980’s and I was most offended that the thieves didn’t consider I had anything worth taking:(

It’s happened twice since then and they took stuff and cars but I don’t care anymore to be honest.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
We are presently away.been gone 24 hours and the wife gets a call on her mobile phone that she does not recognize. I urge her to answer and she does. A nurse called Phill says he's outside the house waiting to take blood and where is she. Margaret has both dental and medical stuff going on but says she is not expecting this and is not at home and not even in the country when she realizes she should not have said that. Panic calls to both son and daughter to alert the police and son phones the surgery to find out that they have mistakenly sent the nurse to the wrong patients address.

Panic over - there was no burglar ready to do the place over.

Knowing our luck the place will have been gutted by the time we get home and my Rolex collection and stash of cash will be gone!

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I was about to post similar. If anyone is so desperate they want anything from my house, I'd give it to them.

Us too, when we moved back into our house after fulltiming for a few years, we didn't buy anything new. When we go away we leave the curtains and blinds open so that anyone looking in can see we don't have anything worth pinching. :D:D:D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A recent thread did exactly that giving immediate plans to travel to Spain, photo and reg of vehicle and home address - a village - not hard for the scrotes
Can't be me ... I don't put my home village, just my county! :D

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm not at home at the moment. Should be back Monday so you have a few days to rob me . :rolleyes:

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
Thres someone's bank details on the new profile posts on the homepage@jim

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
My sons wife in the USA, posts most of her life on S-M. has done for many years, we know for a fact she is away ski-ing at the moment. Same when the whole family goes too. IMV it`s asking for trouble, but so far they have not been burgled. "home invasion" as the Americans Call, it is not as common as percieved. but still happens to some. They have more problems with Aligators roaming the backyards. 2 so far this year. One in the pool!.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
From the op. So what’s the difference to going away in your motorhome. Parking up and going out for the day, or evening to the pub. If you worry to much about stuff like that you will never do anything.

Deleted User
From the op. So what’s the difference to going away in your motorhome. Parking up and going out for the day, or evening to the pub. If you worry to much about stuff like that you will never do anything.
A burglar is more likely to choose a place he knows will be empty for quite some time as by the time the break in is discovered and reported he will be well away from the area. Also it will be harder for police to check for CCTV evidence and get potential witness statements about any unrecognised vehicles as they will not know when the actual break in took place.

This is the advice from Saga.

4. Don't tell everyone you're on holiday
Don’t tell people outside immediate friends and family that you are going away or for how long. You’ll have plenty of opportunity to show off your tan or tell your fisherman’s tales when you get back.

Certainly you should not brag about your upcoming holiday on social media such as Facebook or Twitter – you don’t know who can read your comments, or who they will tell.

This is the advice from Police.UK
  • Avoid discussing holiday plans on public social networking sites - burglars can use any information you post on there to their advantage

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Could I just add that my home is never left unoccupied. It has ample ccty coverage and a large powerful dog who is obsessive about our security and who he allows in or out of his home. (y)

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I'm not at home at the moment. Should be back Monday so you have a few days to rob me . :rolleyes:

But where is that bloody great dog. I don’t want to be savaged when I come a-callling. Saturday evening ok with you?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
A few years ago, our previous van had to go away for some warranty work and we had visitors trying to get at our motorbikes in the garage. They had a surprise when we went out and they legged it, they must have been stupid though as they came back the next night. Still ran away though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back