Rally Chat Inexcusable and Unacceptable (1 Viewer)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Firstly let me say, There's no excuse for ignorance or lack of consideration.
I have run many rallies and encouraged prepayment, now if you have a list of people that have pre-paid what difference does it make if they turn up or not, you have their money, you do not have a responsibility for their up-bringing or their choices.
I am Ex.Army and enjoy my freedom to make my own choices, I am new to this Forum but may well re-consider my joining any further if "FUN" means a Dictatorship.
You've paid now!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Never felt that this forum is run by a dictatorship I find it is a controlled friendly environment.
Whare you opinion right or wrong can be voiced withe out being torn apart in most cases.
There certainly can be for sure savory individuals on her who's opinion no matter what are right.
Any forum bully's are brought in to line or even band.
Yes there is snobbery on her from sum
There certainly are some heated thread's
Like every forum of this size there a twats but thay are few and far apart
The ignore button is fantastic function
As to the meets any one is free to organize a meet with out hindrances from the administrator of this forum
I Ran a few meet got let down by a few but in general think thay were successful.
In life disapontments are many it's part of life
This is a great forum the hasn't lost it way
Owing to a steady firm hand at the wheel
I know it probably a bit of a rant but when I joined this forum I could not even spell rant
Keep up the good work @Jim
Bill

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Never felt that this forum is run by a dictatorship I find it is a controlled friendly environment.
Whare you opinion right or wrong can be voiced withe out being torn apart in most cases.
There certainly can be for sure savory individuals on her who's opinion no matter what are right.
Any forum bully's are brought in to line or even band.
Yes there is snobbery on her from sum
There certainly are some heated thread's
Like every forum of this size there a twats but thay are few and far apart
The ignore button is fantastic function
As to the meets any one is free to organize a meet with out hindrances from the administrator of this forum
I Ran a few meet got let down by a few but in general think thay were successful.
In life disapontments are many it's part of life
This is a great forum the hasn't lost it way
Owing to a steady firm hand at the wheel
I know it probably a bit of a rant but when I joined this forum I could not even spell rant
Keep up the good work @Jim
Bill
Well said Bill!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Don't think anyone's saying our Jim is a dictator .. just that some of the suggestions seem a little extreme and like another nottobementioned club. The rest of the suggestions are commonsense .. a deposit or prepayment could solve a lot of issues.

Not everyone sees messages so text and phone numbers are a good idea but how do you do it and still retain confidentiality? I don't want my number on the forum .. don't know what the answer is.

The other answer is that when someone doesn't turn up, after an hour and half the marshalls DON'T wait for them and if they turn up they have to park outside the area until the marshall returns from doing their own thing ... moving their van back and forward might make people advise they are going to be late or NOT coming. .

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Firstly let me say, There's no excuse for ignorance or lack of consideration.
I have run many rallies and encouraged prepayment, now if you have a list of people that have pre-paid what difference does it make if they turn up or not, you have their money, you do not have a responsibility for their up-bringing or their choices.

It's not just the money @John Hughes ...... also someone is standing at a road end half a mile away to direct people who are due to attend. When a phone number has been provided by personal message and people don't even bother to send a text - no excuse needed - saying "not coming", well that is just plain rude.

Maybe an idea is out of the funds involving a rally a throw away 20 quid phone , a rally phone ,could be purchased to give a number out then no excuses for not getting in touch.

ÂŁ20 ???? The phone i bought last week cost 79p - and it has a camera!

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I don think deposits are the way forward. I have no objections to paying upfront but it then becomes another burden on the organisers who have to give even more personal details (bank info) and have to repeatedly keep checking their account. If a business the size of the CC with all its staff and infrastructure decided it wasn't workable, what makes you think it is for us?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Deposits can work, but ask any rally marshall who's used them and they'll confirm what a pain it can be collecting them. I don't envisage having to ban swathes of people or even one! Rather just make it socaially unacceptable to take rally marshals for granted ;)

We are working on a better events module that will allow rally marshalls to easily contact all ralliers at the click of a button, communication is key and less hassle than deposits. (y)

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I have just read this thread and my first impression was it was in keeping with 'facts threads, an easy path to wander down. My own thoughts are simply that the success of the group has put a demand on rally places. Rather than miss out, people put their names down immediately, then it gets forgotten. No excuse for bad manners. Then again, rally protocols should stop people 'booking' for friends, this just encourages the problem. You book for yourself and take responsibility for it. New menbers have to get a chance on popular rallies otherwise we are back to that slippery path.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I have just read this thread and my first impression was it was in keeping with 'facts threads, an easy path to wander down. My own thoughts are simply that the success of the group has put a demand on rally places. Rather than miss out, people put their names down immediately, then it gets forgotten. No excuse for bad manners. Then again, rally protocols should stop people 'booking' for friends, this just encourages the problem. You book for yourself and take responsibility for it. New menbers have to get a chance on popular rallies otherwise we are back to that slippery path.

You were brave enough to say what I thought.

Everyone should have an equal chance to go on meets ... all this phoning round beforehand to make sure certain people get on your meet is wrong .. and I am guilty of putting my name down that way. It makes any new people very unlikely to get a place on the popular rallies .. and makes for clicks(don't know how you spell it) ... It does the club no favours and Jim's hard work to make it successful could be marred. We should work together to the same end of consideration for ALL members .. inc marshalls.

At Stratford the same old 'oldies' worked hard going round to newbies to introduce and make them feel welcome. This should be encouraged by all.

The forum is growing .. by its own success .. but it must be fair to new people. Setting precedents by example is important ...

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Then again, rally protocols should stop people 'booking' for friends, this just encourages the problem. You book for yourself and take responsibility for it. New menbers have to get a chance on popular rallies otherwise we are back to that slippery path.
Hear Hear. (y)

Jock. :)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
So how many times do you have to tell an organizer you can't make it?
I call the line after twice, 3rd time I ignore.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
As above, just to clarify, I said we might be interested PENCIL us in. Got a reminder, said we wouldn't make it. Later, got another reminder , reminded the OP that I'd sent a PM on such a such date saying We couldn't make it, which the OP said Ok forgot about that or similar . Had a 3rd which I ignored!

Sort of works both ways dunnit?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
You were brave enough to say what I thought.

Everyone should have an equal chance to go on meets ... all this phoning round beforehand to make sure certain people get on your meet is wrong .. and I am guilty of putting my name down that way. It makes any new people very unlikely to get a place on the popular rallies .. and makes for clicks(don't know how you spell it) ... It does the club no favours and Jim's hard work to make it successful could be marred. We should work together to the same end of consideration for ALL members .. inc marshalls.
At Stratford the same old 'oldies' worked hard going round to newbies to introduce and make them feel welcome. This should be encouraged by all.
The forum is growing .. by its own success .. but it must be fair to new people. Setting precedents by example is important ...

Thanks Joy..........you always make an effort to welcome newbies and oldies(y)..........but you're right some of the popular rallies (Misterton for one) are taken straight away....

The smaller rallies are some of the best for newbies to 'get into' the club and meet some of the 'oldies' - the bigger meets such as Malvern and Lincoln must seem intimidating.... a marquee full of members - do you bring a chair?, drinks?, nibbles?............the oldies know what to do........and know each other...

My best meets have been at Southport, Chester and @BreweryDave 's booze up and @haganap 's

Edit............. and Shell Island(y)(y)

Maybe it needs more 'small' meets big enough to bring in newbies............as you rightly say there are so many more members.....

Love your enthusiasm:lips:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Just manners, plain & simple.
I don't believe for one minute that anyone 'forgets' entirely where they should be - especially after assorted "reminders".
Lack of courtesy & respect for fellow funsters is all.
Modern society sadly.

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi Barclaybasher,

We run misterton rally and this is taking place this weekend, although the rally was booked up, earlier on this year we still have spaces today so people could still come if theyread the relevant posts and put their names on the reserve list

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
@Barclaybasher Some great rallies start off small , like Misterton , then get bigger and bigger. Because they are so popular. There used to be half as many vans at Misterton.
The bigger they get , the less chance you get to chat to everyone granted.
But it's up to you to get out there and mingle , if that's what you want to do.
No one will come and drag you into a marquee , or make you feel bad that if you don't , that's what a good fun rally is all about imo .
No pressure.

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
I've only been to a few rallies but must say that we have been made most welcome and enjoyed them immensely, but at John's great Thetford meet we seemed probably not so social as being Arsenal supporters Saturday was taken over and Sunday our daughter arranged a BBQ at her new partners home. At the upcoming Norfolk rally we are again invited, unexpectedly to a do that clashes but we will at some stage be there. Reason for a bit of a rant is because I was criticised for the lack of members not turning up to the marquee at Lincoln which was there for members to enjoy. Movan ( Joy ) that took some guts for you to post that and don't think with the s**t in our lives at the moment it's going to effect us hats of to you.
Ray

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I've only been to a few rallies but must say that we have been made most welcome and enjoyed them immensely, but at John's great Thetford meet we seemed probably not so social as being Arsenal supporters Saturday was taken over and Sunday our daughter arranged a BBQ at her new partners home. At the upcoming Norfolk rally we are again invited, unexpectedly to a do that clashes but we will at some stage be there. Reason for a bit of a rant is because I was criticised for the lack of members not turning up to the marquee at Lincoln which was there for members to enjoy. Movan ( Joy ) that took some guts for you to post that and don't think with the s**t in our lives at the moment it's going to effect us hats of to you.
Ray

Hi Ray .. I wasn't at Lincoln so not sure what has been said ... but you are right not to let it affect you. People don't know what is going on in our private lives and should try to think twice sometimes. Hope whatever it is, gets sorted for you soon.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
@Jim Looks like you have some more development work. Getting the rally details to export to people's calendar, don't want you getting bored. :D

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
the problem with all this is, it gonning to frighten people who were thinking of organising a new rally off of doing so, theres a sHXt load of work done by rally organisers, to whom Im very greatfull, its very hard work trying to please all ofthe peoples......

NOTE TO RALLY ORGANISERS please please dont stop, were would we be without you, on a caravan club site:(

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
We know that life happens and sometimes last minute cancellations are inevitable.

What really makes me cross is that people put their names down and DON'T notify the organiser that they can't make it. I sent everyone a private message a couple of weeks before the Kelso rally and provided a mobile phone number to use in case of emergency. I am well aware that when travelling people may not have internet access but the thread had been running for several months with updated lists of attendees every time there was a change and a tag for people who were moving on and off the lists.

We all make mistakes as @rangitira has pointed out but organising a rally is a bit like herding quail - makes cat herding easy - so please just let the organiser know if you have a problem. It creates more headaches and problems if you don't!

If I organise another rally I WILL be asking for deposits and balance up front via a paypal account setup for the rally. This will be clearly stated at the start of the rally thread. The Kelso rally had 42 vans signed up at one point with a final number of vans of just 20.

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
We know that life happens and sometimes last minute cancellations are inevitable.

What really makes me cross is that people put their names down and DON'T notify the organiser that they can't make it. I sent everyone a private message a couple of weeks before the Kelso rally and provided a mobile phone number to use in case of emergency. I am well aware that when travelling people may not have internet access but the thread had been running for several months with updated lists of attendees every time there was a change and a tag for people who were moving on and off the lists.

We all make mistakes as @rangitira has pointed out but organising a rally is a bit like herding quail - makes cat herding easy - so please just let the organiser know if you have a problem. It creates more headaches and problems if you don't!

If I organise another rally I WILL be asking for deposits and balance up front via a paypal account setup for the rally. This will be clearly stated at the start of the rally thread. The Kelso rally had 42 vans signed up at one point with a final number of vans of just 20.

====

of the original 42 sign ups and 20 being the final number of vans attending , how many of the 22 no shows did not let the rally organisers know of their intention to cancel?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
====

of the original 42 sign ups and 20 being the final number of vans attending , how many of the 22 no shows did not let the rally organisers know of their intention to cancel?

By the start of the rally I was expecting 23 vans. 2 did not show up at all and did not contact me. The other left a message the morning of the rally start with another attendee - they did not contact me. The whole point of giving people a contact number or numbers is so that they can call or text to say they will not be coming.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Er......I may be GUILTY AS CHARGED here. :cry::cry: I couldn't attend the Peterborough Rally, and gave my ticket to Jaws. Sorry if I transgressed on this Jim, I just thought of it as one for one......:(

ValC

Free Member
Apr 19, 2016
Leverstock green herts
Funster No
MH
Carthago C compact
Exp
10 yrs
Hello everyone , I am a newbie but I have met some great people, at Chester, Newbury and Stoneleigh. Are there any funsters going to the steam fair at Ducklington, Oxfordshire, I think I got the county right ! I shall be going on the Friday arriving about midday. I will have a flagpole with a Union Jack and smiley face in the middle, and a lest we forget flag. (My son is a royal marine commander) it will be the flagpole's maiden launch ! I hope to see some of you there. Val

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back