Rally Chat Inexcusable and Unacceptable (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
/Rant Mode On.... If you have booked on a rally and cannot go, you should at least have the decency and common courtesy to contact the organiser and let them know you are not coming. Just not showing up, really is not on. Waiting up for people who are not coming to your rally is no fun at all, nor is depriving others of a space at that rally. It's both rude and disrespectful to the people who give their time to organise events for us to just not turn up. Those who do this in future risk becoming an ex-funster, we really don't need such selfish members. /off :D

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
What really, really, annoyed me as a Rally organiser was the people who would put their names down for a rally straight away and then promply forget they had done so. Ignoring numerous PMs and then only at the last minute responding to say they couldnt come because they had booked something else. In the process they had deprived another Funster of a rally place they would really have enjoyed.
As you say Jim, unacceptable behaviour.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
/Rant Mode On.... If you have booked on a rally and cannot go, you should at least have the decency and common courtesy to contact the organiser and let them know you are not coming. Just not showing up, really is not on. Waiting up for people who are not coming to your rally is no fun at all, nor is depriving others of a space at that rally. It's both rude and disrespectful to the people who give their time to organise events for us to just not turn up. Those who do this in future risk becoming an ex-funster, we really don't need such selfish members. /off :D
Your pussy-footing round important issues does you no credit. Say it like it is.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
What really, really, annoyed me as a Rally organiser was the people who would put their names down for a rally straight away and then promply forget they had done so. Ignoring numerous PMs and then only at the last minute responding to say they couldnt come because they had booked something else. In the process they had deprived another Funster of a rally place they would really have enjoyed.
As you say Jim, unacceptable behaviour.
Good point, have just checked the rallies calendar to make sure!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
It always amazes me you do a rally thread, you put as much information as possible out there for everyone who has their name down for the rally, the name goes on the list and they never look at the thread again, then say I never knew this or that was arranged

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years

and now take a breath

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Can I have a moan too please.

I don't think it should be allowed for names to be on 2 main list rallies that clash for the people to then pick and choose nearer the time.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I don't book ahead unless I know I'm going and have missed out on a few 'popular' rallies because the list fills so quickly - sometimes within days of being announced...

Went to the Southport meet a couple of years ago 'on spec' - 'Fully Booked' and just got in - had a great time

Just back from a couple of nights at Stratford - just turned up - space for hundreds - it's such a big site.........

I'd rather do what I do - risk being turned away - rather than 'bag' a place and not be able to go...........

At Stratford @Brisey (y) had to sit in the heat..... just waiting....Rally Marshalls really should be appreciated

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is one of the main reasons I wouldn't be booking rallies, how does anyone know what they will be doing up to a year in front, the only one we have been on is twin lakes, which is a much better idea , wait till the time and see if there's room , which in our case there was loads of room.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There is no problem with speculatively booking a rally that you fancy far in advance, but as soon as you know you can't go, let someone know. If you breakdown on the way, no worries, just let someone know. If you just don't show up and are not dead, you are out of order :)

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
I fully understand the reasons for this post Jim .
It is not exceptable for funsters to not aknowledge messages leading upto meets and then at last minute cancel . Or worse just do nothing this has happened numerous times .
I contact funsters on lists weeks before for their confirmation .This takes time out of my life to do .. I do it because I love doing it I love volunteering so others can enjoy these meets and we as a family enjoy being with the same minded funstERS. I do fully understsnd if there is a genuine reason and except there may be exceptions due to emergency . However lack of comunication or then to continue with no comunication at all is totally not aceptable.
Kate x

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp

Is there a problem that with so many members now some of the meets or rallies are 'too small' ....?..............or at least the sites are

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
It always amazes me you do a rally thread, you put as much information as possible out there for everyone who has their name down for the rally, the name goes on the list and they never look at the thread again, then say I never knew this or that was arranged
Might be due to the average advanced age on here!! People forget... Perhaps there should be a way of automatically PM'ing those who have put down their names?? Perhaps there is??

I usually can't wait for the ones I've booked - perhaps I need to get out (even) more??

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Very occasionally things can go pearshaped though, I normally put events, rallies, appointments etc on my phone diary and on the calendar ( which tends to go everywhere with us) a week last Wednesday I turned up for a hospital appointment, (1 hour drive there, 1 hour drive back, £3 to park) and proceeded to the outpatients clinic to be told by the receptionist I didn't have an appointment, yep, you guessed it, it was the following week. I had made an error in writing the appointment down on my phone and didn't check the calendar. Sh*t happens I suppose........OCCASIONALLY,

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
We find we are trying to plan everything around hospital appointments this year, trouble is the hospitals move them sometimes (which they did to me last week on the morning of the appointment) and then give you another date, so that's another rally buggered up, luckily not motorhome fun.
As others as said, not to inform the organisers is totally unacceptable.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Is there a problem that with so many members now some of the meets or rallies are 'too small' ....?..............or at least the sites are

We have rallies of all sizes happening, the size of the rally should not affect whether someone is courteous or otherwise.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

I prefer the small ones. We go to a meet of over 100 vans and meet a handful of new people. We go to a meet of 20 vans (as Kelso last weekend) and meet and talk to everybody, many of whom we have never met before.

I would always recommend that newbies do not make the mistake we made. We went to Peterborough for our first meet and hardly spoke to anybody. Almost put us off MHF altogether! Next one we went to was at Ramon's 15 van railway meet and we met and talked to everybody. My advice is to start off with a small meet or two first. They are much more friendly.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@Jim. Well done that man. (y) It needed saying, and it needed to come from the top.

The Marshals are unpaid volunteers, and after a day's greeting, siting, and pitching, they need to relax too. It is unfair for anyone to expect them to hang on until the gate closes, especially when you have no intention of arriving.
We don't use smart phones, so don't have any internet immediately at hand, but we do have a whole list of mobile phone numbers of other MH'ers, whom we could text if delayed, so that they could get a message to the Marshals. It's not rocket science. :doh: A little common courtsey, goes a long way, and is much appreciated by the recipients. (y)

I prefer the small ones. We go to a meet of over 100 vans and meet a handful of new people. We go to a meet of 20 vans (as Kelso last weekend) and meet and talk to everybody, many of whom we have never met before.

I would always recommend that newbies do not make the mistake we made. We went to Peterborough for our first meet and hardly spoke to anybody. Almost put us off MHF altogether! Next one we went to was at Ramon's 15 van railway meet and we met and talked to everybody. My advice is to start off with a small meet or two first. They are much more friendly.
We are the same, ie, prefer the smaller meets.

We would also concur with the advice for newbies, re the smaller meets, before diving into one of the bigger Show type meets. Once you know a few folks, the bigger meets become a more pleasant social experience. (y)

Think of others.

Jock & Rita. :)

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Very occasionally things can go pearshaped though, I normally put events, rallies, appointments etc on my phone diary and on the calendar ( which tends to go everywhere with us) a week last Wednesday I turned up for a hospital appointment, (1 hour drive there, 1 hour drive back, £3 to park) and proceeded to the outpatients clinic to be told by the receptionist I didn't have an appointment, yep, you guessed it, it was the following week. I had made an error in writing the appointment down on my phone and didn't check the calendar. Sh*t happens I suppose........OCCASIONALLY,
@Terry did that recently....he turned up at the crematorium and wondered why he didn't recognise anyone. When the coffin arrived with the close family behind, he realised he was at the wrong funeral. He was a week early! :doh:
:rofl:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
/Rant Mode On.... If you have booked on a rally and cannot go, you should at least have the decency and common courtesy to contact the organiser and let them know you are not coming. Just not showing up, really is not on.:D

Whilst fully agreeing in principal you/we do have built in problem, most of FUN are Olde Fartes and one day you will find to your horror that Old Fartes' memories leak like sieves. So what might appear rude and unacceptable can often be just AGE.

My dentist sends a text and phones to remind me of appointments and I've never missed one to provoke this.

It's a text age, maybe a text number should be part of the rally booking.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
We have rallies of all sizes happening, the size of the rally should not affect whether someone is courteous or otherwise.

Absolutely agree

You said that not turning up denied someone else a space..

My post suggested that there might not always be enough spaces for all those wanting to go anyway:)

Again I agree and meets at the ends of the country or speciality meets will attract less..

Anything in the Midlands or the Home Counties for instance will be within the reach of so many more,

not saying all meets should be big......

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Now that we have worked (volunteered) as rally & meet marshals we appreciate our Fun & RVOC marshals a lot more! :clap:
Many hours of waiting & parking up motorhomes in the wind & rain or blazing sun & still greeting everyone with a smile (even if they are harassed & grumpy after a long journey) can be a challenge. Think having clear communication with regards to arrival times & any special requirements in advance is the key. There is also all the unseen work that goes on before & behind the scenes to make it all happen but when it does all come together & people are enjoying themselves & making new friends it is fantastic & worthwhile :hi5:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Now that we have worked (volunteered) as rally & meet marshals we appreciate our Fun & RVOC marshals a lot more! :clap:
Many hours of waiting & parking up motorhomes in the wind & rain or blazing sun & still greeting everyone with a smile (even if they are harassed & grumpy after a long journey) can be a challenge. Think having clear communication with regards to arrival times & any special requirements in advance is the key. There is also all the unseen work that goes on before & behind the scenes to make it all happen but when it does all come together & people are enjoying themselves & making new friends it is fantastic & worthwhile :hi5:

All that and you'd be amazed at how many leave the rally field without a "cheerio" and a "thank you" to the Marshals. Of course most do but too many don't , sign of the times I suppose.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Well that's most builders I know screwed then!!

Yes Madame, we will definitely be there tomorrow!!! Lol x

scottie

Free Member
Mar 2, 2013
chandlers ford
Funster No
MH
Astec Devon 2008
Exp
July 2012
Sorry guys, I may have been one of the culprits. I tried to make the Stratford show last Thursday, and as mentioned on the Stratford post, got as far as Newbury, but had to turn round and head home. Was hoping to be better by Sunday, even yesterday, but still not safe enough just yet to drive. In future I will send a note to the event Marshalls. I do appreciate all the work that Brisley, Toledo and other halves do for these events, long days without much respite. So personal apology from me. Hope you are all enjoying Stratford.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Might be due to the average advanced age on here!! People forget... Perhaps there should be a way of automatically PM'ing those who have put down their names?? Perhaps there is??

I usually can't wait for the ones I've booked - perhaps I need to get out (even) more??

It's very easy to it on watched thread, you will automatically know when something has been added and you don't need to go through pages.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It's very easy to it on watched thread, you will automatically know when something has been added and you don't need to go through pages.

Good idea.

I always add to my Google Calendar, visible on phone/tablet/pc.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
If the marshals were in agreement, could just one of them allow they're mobile number to be posted should you meet with undue delay. URGENT contact only
Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back