Inconsiderate motorhomes :-( (2 Viewers)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have a confession to make. I once forgot to close my grey waste drain after dumping it in the correct place somewhere in Portugal. Drove a few miles to a nice car park that was used as an unofficial Aire. In the shower the next morning when the Belgian next door hammered on the door shouting about "l'eau". Got out, dried and dressed and when I got out was embarrassed to see a long trail of soapy water.

Will I now be drummed out of MHF with @Jim ceremonially ripping off my epaulettes at the next MHF meet I attend ............................

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
It is an offence to make a discharge to controlled waters without the permission or consent of the regulators of these areas, which are the Environment Agency in England and Wales, Scottish Environmental Protection Agency in Scotland, and Northern Ireland Environment Agency in Northern Ireland.

In my opinion this legislation is aimed at industry and governs their effluent treatment programmes. If there was a risk from grey waste released from motorhomes I feel sure there would be legislation to cover it. I can't find any that relate to this... can anyone?

Applying such legislation to discharging a few gallons of water containing washing up liquid, shower gel, and perhaps small particles of foodstuff is way over the top. Even on farms it is permissible to discharge a treated dilute liquid waste of very low polluting load to a surface water or to the ground.

When you consider what else is washed down our roadside drains motorhome grey waste pales into insignificance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Anyway what i have gleened from this thread which was only meant as an observation is not to bother posting anything on here for fear of starting an argument or world war 3,like i said im obviously in a minority.Im sure that others will agree that trying to be part of this ever growing community is hard work when you try to add content and get shot down .once again just my opinion.
Brian & Jo

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
Anyway what i have gleened from this thread which was only meant as an observation is not to bother posting anything on here for fear of starting an argument or world war 3,like i said im obviously in a minority.Im sure that others will agree that trying to be part of this ever growing community is hard work when you try to add content and get shot down .once again just my opinion.
Brian & Jo
I don’t think the post was an issue ,maybe the way it came across,a bit holier than though (y):D just my humble opinion.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Brian & Jo

No no no.

When a thread goes on for so long and people are arguing .. you know you've done a good job at contributing. X (y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I have a confession to make. I once forgot to close my grey waste drain after dumping it in the correct place somewhere in Portugal. Drove a few miles to a nice car park that was used as an unofficial Aire. In the shower the next morning when the Belgian next door hammered on the door shouting about "l'eau". Got out, dried and dressed and when I got out was embarrassed to see a long trail of soapy water.

I've done exactly the same thing more than once.

Perhaps we're the ones "giving motor homing a bad name" :whistle::rolleyes::rolleyes:

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
I don’t think the post was an issue ,maybe the way it came across,a bit holier than though (y):D just my humble opinion.
im sorry Rob but if you think i am holier than thow then you really dont know me,enough said.
Brian & Jo

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Brian & Jo

I don't think you should stop posting but you can't expect everyone to share your opinions.

Your post didn't come across to me that it was 'an observation' in that you were trying to add the registration number to your post... you also seem to suggest that if you'd taken a photo you'd have added that too. Pretty judgemental in my view.

With a topic like motorhome grey waste there's no legislation governing it and so everyone forms their own opinion on where to discharge it. You have to expect that not everyone will agree with your view on it.

Last edited:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Yeah.. nice one @Brian and Jo for reminding people of the annoyance and possible danger that driving whilst discharging grey waste can cause.
I'd also like to add that Apple flavoured windscreen wash is also mildly annoying ...

(And probably rubbish too)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Brian & Jo
I havnt contributed to this thread because, to be honest I couldn't care less either road, but if you make a point in a post you surely are going to know that someone will have a different view and must expect a bit of an argument and not get on your high horse and take offence.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Shot down?

I've been shot down, blown to bits, visited Coventry .......wont stop me posting...
.well Jim might...;)

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
I havnt contributed to this thread because, to be honest I couldn't care less either road, but if you make a point in a post you surely are going to know that someone will have a different view and must expect a bit of an argument and not get on your high horse and take offence.
I dont have a problem with different opinions but i am struggling to get my head around the fact that some people think its ok to dump waste onto a public road.
Its obviously just me .
Brian & Jo

Reactions: emo

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I dont have a problem with different opinions but i am struggling to get my head around the fact that some people think its ok to dump waste onto a public road.
Its obviously just me .
Brian & Jo
I think it depends on the individuals grey waste.
Yours may differ from mine , I eat very little greasy food so most of my dishes are washed with cold non soapy water....if anything greasy I wipe it with kitchen roll first and there's maybe 2 drops of suds.
So then it only leaves shampoo and shower gel in my water and I don't go overboard with that either.
I don't even get much of a smell from my grey water.
That said I still wouldn't drain it while driving along and unsure why anyone would do that deliberately.
But I will certainly drive over a drain on the road and empty it there without a second thought.

Can I ask if it was a dry day or if it was raining when you were behind the motor home emptying on the motorway ?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yes but that is the point

What you may consider an inconsiderate motorhomer varies from what others do.

It's like my pet hate of people who hold up 10 cars on a road to allow one car to enter it.

Now is that being considerate or inconsiderate?

Personally if you inconvenience 10 to please 1 that's inconsiderate in my book.

But in that I seem to be one who's in the minority.

Opinions vary

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

That's where you're wrong... we don't all agree on what constitutes an 'inconsiderate motorhomer'.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yeah.. nice one @Brian and Jo for reminding people of the annoyance and possible danger that driving whilst discharging grey waste can cause.
I'd also like to add that Apple flavoured windscreen wash is also mildly annoying ...

(And probably rubbish too)
I'm totally buying Apple flavoured windscreen wash now

Although they just needed to add the scent ...im not gonna drink it

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

I’m not disagreeing with you. But your attempt to politicise something like this is frankly ridiculous.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If grey is so clean why not just re-cycle it, pump it back into the fresh tank via a particulates filter ?

I'l tell you why not, and it has nothing to do with soap suds, washing liquid, shampoo or whether you do or don't eat greasy food or clean plates with paper towel.

it's full of bacteria from your body, skin and hair.. (well not everyone of course some don't have dirty bodies or any hair ) :rolleyes:

And whether it's legal or not, there is no need or any excuse for doing so..

often it's not what is 'right to do' but what impression it gives jo public about our hobby. (or Hymer ;))

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Mine leaks ... I have tried numerous times to fix it ... it eventually goes again and drips ...

I have so much going on in my life and head I don't care what people think of me when they see a drip coming out occasionally, without wondering why. Just watching tv about a young woman dying .. took me back to my last moments with mum and dad ... drip in the gutter? ? So what ...? Greasy torrent on motorway .. not nice. .

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

You've made your view known on many aspects, so its gone to a more general discussion.

You seem to be saying that its OK to leave your grey waste drain open if by accident but unacceptable if by design.

How exactly do you go about establishing which is the case? :rolleyes:

Deleted User
Travelling down to TravelWorld this morning to their show and on the M54 noticed a lot of spray coming from the Motorhome I was following,after putting my wipers on to clear and leaving greasy smears I realised that the pillock had got his grey waste tap open :mad: shame Jo wasn’t with me we could have taken a picture .All I remember was it was DX 07 and it was a Rapido.They should get fined ,it gives motorhoming a bad name.
Brian & Jo
Could it have been road spray?. You were on the M54 so the motorhome dumping grey waste must have been as well, not sure how long you were on the motorway for, however, surely it is unlikely that the Rapido was still dumping its waste, after all he couldn't have been dribbling it or it would not have been enough to cover your windscreen and if he was dumping it it would have been long gone by the time he hit the motorway, are you sure it wasn't spray mixed with the normal grease, mud and diesel that's on the motorway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back