Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Come on for goodness sake! Im sure there is not one on here that has an Halo? We all have done something that you class as not acceptable? Be honest...Go on I dare you? I have done the same thing when I have washed out our tanks on the yard. I have pulled on to the road and let it down a drain . What is the problem?
Sorry Kev but I’m with Anthea on this one ,I’m not perfect far from it ,but where waste tanks are concerned there’s a proper place to dump ,not on a public road.
Brian & Jo

Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Almost approaching average
Road drains empty into the same drain as your roof and sink and washing machine at home. Remember road drains take deisel and other oil along with paper and anything else washing off the surface. Not a good practice though to add to road greasiness deliberately.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Well it wasn’t me! Honest guv.
Might have to change my avatar now, one didn’t want to be associated with such naughtiness,does one? :D:LOL:;):D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
it was not allowed as once it comes from a sink or shower it should be sent down the sewer system..

That's not correct for grey water. It can go onto the ground in an appropriate place.

Many CL/CS type locations don't have grey disposal points and don't have the resources to install one. The instruction at those places will usually be empty it in the hedge.

Even two of the largest campsites in the country - Shell Island and Lyndon Top - don't have grey water disposal points.

At Lyndon Top the instruction is empty it into any of the borders or hedges.

The first time we went to Shell Island (which will also be the only time I will set foot in the place) I was told by a cretin in the office just to empty it onto the road as we went across the causeway which I didn't do.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Sorry Kev but I’m with Anthea on this one ,I’m not perfect far from it ,but where waste tanks are concerned there’s a proper place to dump ,not on a public road.
Brian & Jo
No dont get me wrong here. Im sure We all use the necessary places on site. I have no problems with the issue of draining my waste on site at all. The issue lies with folk blaming other people for leaving their waste tap open when they possibly dont have all the facts? By that...I will drop water off on site. I will travel empty apart from Fuel. I will always clean out the tank on site and drain off any surplus on the go. As far as I am concerned...Its not a problem.
After all, I have washed out the tank with fresh water and leave my taps open to rid it all whilst travelling.
Should that now put us into the category of folk who don't care? Personally...No I don't think so .
I just don't agree with the 'axe wielding' folk who criticise with out all the facts that is all.

Kev

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
That's not correct for grey water. It can go onto the ground in an appropriate place.

Many CL/CS type locations don't have grey disposal points and don't have the resources to install one. The instruction at those places will usually be empty it in the hedge.

Even two of the largest campsites in the country - Shell Island and Lyndon Top - don't have grey water disposal points.

The first time we went to Shell Island (which will also be the only time I will set foot in the place) I was told by a cretin in the office just to empty it onto the road as we went across the causeway which I didn't do.
Hi Nick yes that is correct and I don’t have a problem at all with dumping grey waste int the hedgerows on CL,s ,of which me & Jo use a lot.Its just the dumping onto public roads that I don’t agree with.
Brian & Jo
No dont get me wrong here. Im sure We all use the necessary places on site. I have no problems with the issue of draining my waste on site at all. The issue lies with folk blaming other people for leaving their waste tap open when they possibly dont have all the facts? By that...I will drop water off on site. I will travel empty apart from Fuel. I will always clean out the tank on site and drain off any surplus on the go. As far as I am concerned...Its not a problem.
After all, I have washed out the tank with fresh water and leave my taps open to rid it all whilst travelling.
Should that now put us into the category of folk who don't care? Personally...No I don't think so .
I just don't agree with the 'axe wielding' folk who criticise with out all the facts that is all.

Kev
Hi Kev ,I’m not saying that you don’t care,I don’t know you,and I am certainly not one of the “axe wielding people “ you are talking about,but I know what I saw and in my opinion it’s not doing the Motorhome community any good at all,but that’s just my opinion.
Brian & Jo

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Hi Nick yes that is correct and I don’t have a problem at all with dumping grey waste int the hedgerows on CL,s ,of which me & Jo use a lot.Its just the dumping onto public roads that I don’t agree with.
Brian & Jo
Hi Kev ,I’m not saying that you don’t care,I don’t know you,and I am certainly not one of the “axe wielding people “ you are talking about,but I know what I saw and in my opinion it’s not doing the Motorhome community any good at all,but that’s just my opinion.
Brian & Jo
Dont fret guys..It is just a momentary rant on my part. Apologies if it came across a little blunt! :oops: I just think sometimes folk can spend too much time thinking of stuff to have a go at...rather than enjoying the life we have left.
Now if it were to be tractors and cow pooh....That would really get me going!:ROFLMAO:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I'm surprised he had gotten on to a motorway before it had emptied itself and why was it still coming out when going, I presume, flat and straight? Could he be having a weeping problem with the valve he didn't know about? Do Rapidos have an issue with their grey drain?

Only if you forget which is the "off" and which the "on" position!:whistle:. Which to my embarrassment I did Once!.

"Back in the day". It was in all the rally books, "Grey water can be spread along the hedgerows". We also dug "latrine" pits by hand,:cry: and backfilled them!.:(

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
We were told by the dealer when we picked up our van 2 years ago, that don’t worry about emptying grey waste when leaving a site it’s perfectly legal just to leave it open when driving!!!

Just to add we don’t and never have, not least because my husband is a motorcycle rider and the two just don’t mix.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….

That may be the case on private land but the local water company owns the drainage system and can get very funny about people discharging liquids in their systems.
Trust me after 40 years of installing storm and sewer pipes in the south of England I have the T shirt for arguing with them.
We have had cases were they would not let us pump clean groundwater from excavations down the drain!

This is the list of what should legally be emptied down a sewer pipe and not storm.

78C5BB9E-6D82-49FA-B644-D020593BA2FD.png

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
That may be the case on private land but the local water company owns the drainage system and can get very funny about people discharging liquids in their systems.
Trust me after 40 years of installing storm and sewer pipes in the south of England I have the T shirt for arguing with them.
We have had cases were they would not let us pump clean groundwater from excavations down the drain!

This is the list of what should legally be emptied down a sewer pipe and not storm.

View attachment 215451

The Storm drains here empty into the sewer system. As I know as I had to trace them to clear a blockage!. (Not of my Making).

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I have the Southbourne CC site just down the road from me, went past this Hymer parked on the main road outside the site and noticed he had pulled over a road gully to empty his tank!
They must have a service bay in the site as it’s a fair size and always busy.
Don’t know what the score is with emptying down road gullies, would have thought it was not allowed as once it comes from a sink or shower it should be sent down the sewer system..

On my last van the grey water outlet was very low down - about 10 inches from the ground therefore impossible to fit a bucket of any size below it so if I was in site which had a "lip" round the grey waste disposal point or did not have a disposal point then I used to find a layby on the way home with a drainage grating and empty it down that!:cautious:

I never thought it was wrong - in fact I never thought about it:unsure:

Can't see much harm in it - better than letting it out on the road I should think :)

Everyone who washes their car or van on the road or on their drive ends up with dirty soapy water going down the road drains! o_O

On our current van a bucket comfortably fits under the drain outlet so problem solved - empty tank most evenings!:)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We drain the grey into a bowl, empty everyday, the tap is left open. We also empty our freshwater if we travel to another site or homeward. If we are Guilty, then tiz the residue, can't be more than a cupful- a 1/2 litre at most if that by the time we drive from the site.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
The Storm drains here empty into the sewer system. As I know as I had to trace them to clear a blockage!. (Not of my Making).

Most of the old systems are combined but for the last 30 odd years we have separate systems and if you discharge into the wrong one (as happened at Tidworth Camp) the fines are very big.
The local water companies can still fine you for discharging into their systems without permission.

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
When I built my first camper, I got hold of an old toilet from an British Rail coach.
I tried to make sure we never used it when I was in a station!
In fact, I noticed that the faster I was travelling the less obvious it was.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I personally think a motorhome is pretty similar to a narrowboat in many ways, such as leisure batteries, calor gas heating, cooking, grey and black waste etc etc etc.

Narrowboats are designed to quite happily empty everything but the black into the canal. Fish don't seem to mind, nor the waterways agency, nor the fishermen, but then you'll never see one on the motorway, or we really have had a lot of rain:)

I love how people get so excited about grey waste. Blimey, I think nearly every truck dumps a certain amount of oil, fuel and brake debris over the motorways and other roads and no one ever has a rant over them, unless there's a similar truckers forum called TruckersFun and they do on there, a bit of grey wouldn't hurt and I've never heard to anyone having an accident cos they slipped on my spent shower gel and dish water.

Many sites want it dumped on the grass in the summer and into the hedges, I think it's a waste of the grey to leave it open on the road.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Thought for the day?. If you leave the drain open, more of the debris will collect in the Tank. If you close it and then "dump" it scours the tank when you empty due to the greater volume of liquid. The same thing used to happen with R-V Black tanks, with "solids" building up under opening, and it was not advised to leave the sewer connection open, which many did, but to wait until the tank was nearly full and then dump.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
When I built my first camper, I got hold of an old toilet from an British Rail coach.
I tried to make sure we never used it when I was in a station!
In fact, I noticed that the faster I was travelling the less obvious it was.

All together now!:-

"Gentlemen will please refrain, from Urinating, whilst the train is standing in the station, Thanking you!". "The people working underneath, they get it in the nose and teeth, and they dont seen to like it, Nor would you!".

Credit- "Oh! what a lovely war."? (I think)

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
On my last van the grey water outlet was very low down - about 10 inches from the ground therefore impossible to fit a bucket of any size below it so if I was in site which had a "lip" round the grey waste disposal point or did not have a disposal point then I used to find a layby on the way home with a drainage grating and empty it down that!:cautious:

I never thought it was wrong - in fact I never thought about it:unsure:

Can't see much harm in it - better than letting it out on the road I should think :)

Yep - I don't think putting it down a convenient road drain in a layby is that bad - what washes off the road will be far worse. If I'm emptying my grey at home then I'll do so down the road gully outside my house, which I know goes straight into a combined sewer.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Reminds me of the time I let my grey out after just passing some Lycra wearing cyclists....:LOL::ROFLMAO: you should of seen their faces....:mad::swear2:
:LOL:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Im off to the co op to get some popcorn, this is going to run on a bit.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Ooh look at that guy dribbling grey waste, he must be a low life Brexiteer.

So you can tell a persons politics or how they voted in the EU referendum from how they dump their grey waste. What a great skill. Do that from a high horse and you could be in the circus.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back