Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
6F12A518-7C81-4F98-8B56-90C90C1F81C9.jpeg

F4BA6C9F-DDD1-4208-9B52-0DCB088F44E9.jpeg

I drove behind this recently, no idea which paper he reads or how he votes but I’d rather it had been a slightly dribbling motorhome..

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
How long does it take to drain a waste tank or how far would you travel from a standing start as some would drain while getting back in the cab.
I've a 100 litre waste tank with 2 options to empty . I have a built in hose in the service hatch that takes an age to empty. And I have a plug in the bottom of the tank that drains the lot in around 4 mins flat

Quite a few of the free aires I've been using here in spain the grey water is simply a drive over grid feeding in to the storm drains I think

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Not sure what toxic chemicals some folk are flushing in to their grey tanks to cause such a fuss but I'm quite comfortable in the fact there's nothing coming out of my tank that's anywhere near as harmful as the gallons of soapy water that happily flows from carwashes on to the road or that the little pavement washers put down etc.

My bottle of fairy liquid goes a long long long long way. And my shampoo is environmentally friendly :p

Might I suggest you all wipe your greasy plates etc with kitchen roll prior to washing them and your tank water won't get so greasy:D

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
I used to fill up with fresh water prior to travel but always arrive on site empty. It was a mystery to me for a while. Then a Funster told me that had a similar issue and had sussed it as a syphoning effect. I've since found this is common and it has many mentions on the forums. https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/fresh-water-syphoning-off.28006/

I'm sure anyone following me thought the worst about the leaking 'fluid'

Darn it - you've gone and busted a cherished memory.....:(

About 15 years ago, I parked my Kontiki on the steepish hill behind the Basilica at Lourdes and did the tourist bit around the shops (urgh!), Basilica and Grotto. When I returned to the MH, a steady stream of (clean) water was running from underneath, into the gutter and down the hill, glinting and shining in the late afternoon sunshine. It looked just like a spring emerging from the ground. I couldn't figure it out - the hab electrics were off and no sign of a problem with the pump. I was a bit puzzled, to say the least, but then it dawned on me....

I wrote to the Pope asking him to declare it a miracle but I never got a reply - perhaps he didn't know about siphoning either....:unsure:

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
If it had a DX numberplate then chances are it was registered at the very place you were on your way to. :rolleyes:

No expert on registration but the motorhome I purchased from Travelworld was DU assume they register them all at the same office, then again is there such a thing as an office anymore, most is done online.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I am waiting for the day a farmer or contractor cleans the mud from the wheels of his tractor, trailer or JCB before driving on the road............

........but hey a bit of grey soapy water might work..............:)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I am waiting for the day a farmer or contractor cleans the mud from the wheels of his tractor, trailer or JCB before driving on the road............

........but hey a bit of grey soapy water might work..............:)
Yeah that's the stuff a biker worries about believe me .......theres nothing in the world makes your ass cheeks clench quicker than rounding a bend on two wheels to discover the road covered in freshly dropped wet slimey mud.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
That may be the case on private land but the local water company owns the drainage system and can get very funny about people discharging liquids in their systems.
Trust me after 40 years of installing storm and sewer pipes in the south of England I have the T shirt for arguing with them.
We have had cases were they would not let us pump clean groundwater from excavations down the drain!

This is the list of what should legally be emptied down a sewer pipe and not storm.

View attachment 215451
Do you have a similar list that refers to the drains that are installed in lay-bys?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Reminds me of the time I let my grey out after just passing some Lycra wearing cyclists....:LOL::ROFLMAO: you should of seen their faces....:mad::swear2:
:LOL:

as a keen road cyclist I don't find that funny .. not only stupid and inconsiderate but you could have caused a serious accident..

but whatever turns you on , odd sense of humour.. you clearly don't care who you could have injured.

as for dumping grey in the road.. well, whatever you think, it’s illegal to discharge your waste water on the road or in lay-bys, anyone who does it is no better than the black dumpers at Murcia.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I'm quite comfortable in the fact there's nothing coming out of my tank that's anywhere near as harmful as the gallons of soapy water that happily flows from carwashes on to the road or that the little pavement washers put down etc.

y
Not here. Same requirement as fuel stations in that all discharge has to be retained.With washing areas it also has to be recycled. Unlike the UK which doesn't implement that part- All comes under environmental regulations here & why you cannot wash a vehicle in the road or on your own property. Anywhere in fact .

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Perhaps you should have dropped back a bit? :LOL:

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Dear god I cant believe how much off topic some of the posts have gone,and at no time did i ever suggest that the contents were toxic .It was just the fact that the inconsiderate driver was releasing grey onto a public road with traffic travelling at high speed .Im am obviousy in a minority.:rolleyes:
Brian & Jo

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Do you have a similar list that refers to the drains that are installed in lay-bys?

It is an offence that can be prosecuted under the 1936 Public Health Act, Highway and Environmental Acts.
Controlled waters (streams, rivers, canals, marine environment and groundwater) have statutory protection under the Water Resources Act 1991 and amendments in England and Wales, the Environmental Damage (Prevention and Remediation) Regulations 2009 No.153 in England, the Water Environment (Controlled Activities) Regulations 2005 (CAR) and amendments in Scotland and the Water (Northern Ireland) Order 1999 in Northern Ireland. It is an offence to make a discharge to controlled waters without the permission or consent of the regulators of these areas, which are the Environment Agency in England and Wales, Scottish Environmental Protection Agency in Scotland, and Northern Ireland Environment Agency in Northern Ireland.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Dear god I cant believe how much off topic some of the posts have gone,and at no time did i ever suggest that the contents were toxic .It was just the fact that the inconsiderate driver was releasing grey onto a public road with traffic travelling at high speed .Im am obviousy in a minority.:rolleyes:
Brian & Jo
I don't agree with someone dropping it on a motorway at any speed .....i am however baffled at how he did it unless as someone says he has an electric dumpvalve.

But for threads going off topic I think that's just part of a discussion and quite amusing at times :)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It is an offence that can be prosecuted under the 1936 Public Health Act, Highway and Environmental Acts.
Controlled waters (streams, rivers, canals, marine environment and groundwater) have statutory protection under the Water Resources Act 1991 and amendments in England and Wales, the Environmental Damage (Prevention and Remediation) Regulations 2009 No.153 in England, the Water Environment (Controlled Activities) Regulations 2005 (CAR) and amendments in Scotland and the Water (Northern Ireland) Order 1999 in Northern Ireland. It is an offence to make a discharge to controlled waters without the permission or consent of the regulators of these areas, which are the Environment Agency in England and Wales, Scottish Environmental Protection Agency in Scotland, and Northern Ireland Environment Agency in Northern Ireland.
I think anyone who knows all that stuff off hand is missing out on a truly enriched life :p

I'd also ban lycra for anyone over 40

It's just wrong on so many levels

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
(y)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
There are thousands of innocent men, women and children having bombs dropped on them by the Syrian, Russian and US governments.

There is a President trying to supply teachers with guns.

There are thousands of homeless folk in Blighty sleeping rough in freezing weather.

There are millions of people struggling for life because of drought.

I can't really get all hot and bothered about some grey water leaking from a motorhome.

Sorry.

JJ :cool:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Define "controlled waters" please and specifically how all of those regulations apply to residential/domestic premises and activities. All your posts so far appear to refer to commercial activities which as I'm sure you're aware are often subject to different regulation.

I ask because, as you appear to include soapy water in your definition of "controlled waters," you're coming very close to suggesting that it's illegal for someone to wash their car in the street which I'm sure isn't what you intend as it would be a patently ridiculous thing to say.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
There are thousands of innocent men, women and children having bombs dropped on them by the Syrian, Russian and US governments.

There are thousands of homeless folk in Blighty sleeping rough in freezing weather.

I can't really get all hot and bothered about some grey water leaking from a motorhome.

Sorry.

Spoil sport...............;)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Not here. Same requirement as fuel stations in that all discharge has to be retained.With washing areas it also has to be recycled. Unlike the UK which doesn't implement that part- All comes under environmental regulations here & why you cannot wash a vehicle in the road or on your own property. Anywhere in fact .
That's a bit mental innit? These carwashes over here must have massive tanks for all the waste water ...i passed one the other day with 6 bays all in use ...i mean that's a lot of soapy water over a day how on earth do they recycle all that?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

Sorry.

Couldn't agree more

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Except for Certain Ladies? (we dont have a tongue hanging out / panting and wide eyed, smiley?)
That's because it would be drooling and that's as bad as dribbling

And not allowed :p

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun