I'm not a fan of wildcamping (1 Viewer)

Apr 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Converted transit
Exp
I'm not fond of campsites. Having holidayed on them throughout my childhood it always felt like switching suburbia for suburbia without a telly. I just find them regimented and too close to other people. That said some sites are lovely and thoughtfully laid out. I don't know I just feel that sites generally don't offer the getting away from it all of getting away from it all. I get that they offer a safe base, with amenities, to explore a particular area from but still, my personal goal is isolation and this can't be achieved on the majority of sites.
I feel it's very easy to judge choices from the position of our own values and preferences. So we fail to understand them? For me all I care about is folk being considerate of others. And I've seen pitches left in abysmal state just as I've seen lay-bys disgustingly abandoned. The only difference is the sites have some poor soul to clean up after these selfish creatures.
Like Boris7, my personal choice is to camp as wild as possible but utilise selected sites for refills and reconnect with humanity, until I'm reminded of why I yearned disconnection in the first place šŸ¤£

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
I claim to be the originator of the term "Off-Site" motor homing... :whistle2:

I consider "aires" to be sites.
Can I use the term under licence please?? šŸ˜

And I can't deny that some Aires are more like 'sites'. Tend to avoid them if possible also!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: JJ

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Aires = 'sites'?

Can be like sites, e.g. Honfleur, packed most days.

Can be not like sites. e.g. one of our favourites is just a parking area next to a quiet tree-lined stream and in 3 visits have only had one other MH there, when it could take 40.

Many aires we are alone.

Geoff
The quiet ones i like ...the packed like sardines ones ...no thanks

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
I'm not fond of campsites. Having holidayed on them throughout my childhood it always felt like switching suburbia for suburbia without a telly. I just find them regimented and too close to other people. That said some sites are lovely and thoughtfully laid out. I don't know I just feel that sites generally don't offer the getting away from it all of getting away from it all. I get that they offer a safe base, with amenities, to explore a particular area from but still, my personal goal is isolation and this can't be achieved on the majority of sites.
I feel it's very easy to judge choices from the position of our own values and preferences. So we fail to understand them? For me all I care about is folk being considerate of others. And I've seen pitches left in abysmal state just as I've seen lay-bys disgustingly abandoned. The only difference is the sites have some poor soul to clean up after these selfish creatures.
Like Boris7, my personal choice is to camp as wild as possible but utilise selected sites for refills and reconnect with humanity, until I'm reminded of why I yearned disconnection in the first place šŸ¤£
Well said..this is one of the reason I prefer wilding...in the words of that bald guy "if a picture paints a thousand words"
Screenshot_20201024-052242_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
pandas
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Of course everybody makes a choice based on your own values and preferences I am not sure what the alternative options are.
You have made a judgement and a position of defense leveled those that do not necessarily share your own views. The point being made within this post was NOT to be critical of those that want to ā€˜wild campā€™ or whatever you want to call it but a view on what options have been put forward by others as potential locations for wild camping, lay-byes, cul de sacs pub car parks do not do it for me. It seems with the South East there are not many opportunities although I am sure there are some in the know that have secret places (perhaps within the spirit of the Motorhome community would be happy to share). Wild camping is exciting, we have wild camped around many places in the World within the criteria set out by those countries. And good for anybody that wants to do it wherever you want to, as long as you say, they are within the law, they respect other peopleā€™s land and the environment. I recall you could camp more or less wherever you wanted to in the New Forest in the 60ā€™s but that was with a UK population of 25 million less than it is now which is of course quite significant. I would just ask you to please donā€™t try and judge those that do not share your preferences for wild camping in the UK - we all have a view.

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
Of course everybody makes a choice based on your own values and preferences I am not sure what the alternative options are.
You have made a judgement and a position of defense leveled those that do not necessarily share your own views. The point being made within this post was NOT to be critical of those that want to ā€˜wild campā€™ or whatever you want to call it but a view on what options have been put forward by others as potential locations for wild camping, lay-byes, cul de sacs pub car parks do not do it for me. It seems with the South East there are not many opportunities although I am sure there are some in the know that have secret places (perhaps within the spirit of the Motorhome community would be happy to share). Wild camping is exciting, we have wild camped around many places in the World within the criteria set out by those countries. And good for anybody that wants to do it wherever you want to, as long as you say, they are within the law, they respect other peopleā€™s land and the environment. I recall you could camp more or less wherever you wanted to in the New Forest in the 60ā€™s but that was with a UK population of 25 million less than it is now which is of course quite significant. I would just ask you to please donā€™t try and judge those that do not share your preferences for wild camping in the UK - we all have a view.
We do indeed
.it would be a boring world if we didn't

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year

I wonder how many people went out and bought a Motorhome with the intention of parking it in a row with lots of others and wanting to be surrounded by rules etc? As for lay-byes and cul de sacs your right, Iā€™d never sleep in either and agin who would by a Motorhome with such plans.

I live in a cul de sac with only 11 houses, and thereā€™s 3 Motorhome owners, 1 always stays on sites, mainly because they are worried about security and facilities, the second never goes to any site, and will use lay-byes, pub car parks and rough ground pretty much anywhere.

I mainly wild camp but do use sites.

I guess none of us are right, itā€™s just horses for courses

Apr 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Converted transit
Exp
You couldn't have misunderstood me more.
When I said "we" I included me!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I wonder how many people went out and bought a Motorhome with the intention of parking it in a row with lots of others and wanting to be surrounded by rules etc?

Can't remember seeing a motorhome advert, with the van parked 6m from others. They are always lake side, beach side, vineyard side, meadow side....never side by side :D

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
That is totally irrelavent.
Anyway you can check out leave your bags and pick them up later. Try doing that with your Motorhome on a site.
Most sites have a carpark for early/late arrivals.

Show me the contract details where it says your pitch fee is for 24h?

Are your beloved aires* charged on an hourly basis?

*Those that aren't free.

This argument is just silly.

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Hear Hear

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Can't remember seeing a motorhome advert, with the van parked 6m from others. They are always lake side, beach side, vineyard side, meadow side....never side by side :D
Since when have any adverts for leisure activities been realistic...
My fields, airlines... visuals were always first class, maybe business once they got the lie flat beds...
But the prices were always based on economy.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Are your beloved aires* charged on an hourly basis
All of the Aires I've used the 24hrs has started when you get your ticket, assuming there's a machine.

If a person comes to collect the fee, there has never been a hard and fast rule.

The campsites I've been on, you have to leave at a certain time, regardless of when you arrive.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
And equally, far better campsites than crowded noisy carparks in dodgy areas...
:moon2:
Unbelievable you are so biased it's unreal you have obviously never stayed on decent Aire where the marked pitches are often larger than cramped campsite ones.
Not worth discussing with you any further.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back