I'm not a fan of wildcamping (1 Viewer)

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Wildcamping does not involve a vehicle of any description..

Its that simple

If you wish to get high and mighty avout people calling off grid camping in a motorhome wildcamping then you need to accept the fact that doing it on a motorbike is exactly the same

Wildcamping is done on foot or by bicycle

Not a motorised vehicle

Thats what i love about judgemental people

They always think their definition is somehow different.

Its not and you're not
In your incorrect opinion šŸ‘

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
In your incorrect opinion šŸ‘
No in the dictionary opinion.

i gave up true wildcamping when i wanted more luxury .....but like every other non pedantic motorhomer i call anything when im not on a campsite ( which is every single day ) wildcamping.

20200718_231023.jpg

Nearest person 10-15 miles away

Not 1/2 a mile from the road on a motorbike šŸ˜‰

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Our biggest problem with campsites is you seldom get what you pay for if you arrive late in the day they still expect you to leave in the morning some as early as 10.to actually use a site to visit a local attraction you need to stay two nights
It is the same with the majority of accommodation rentals - hotels, cottages, B&B's will rarely let you in before 3pm and checkout is in the morning.
When booking accommodation, you're booking a night, not 24h

Why not visit the local attraction, then go to the campsite 1 night, then go the next morning to another local attraction... 2 'attractions' for the price of a single night ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Errrr..

Which "place" do you refer to?

JJ :cool:
I said ā€œplaceā€ to refer to those outdoor places that people might choose to overnight in. I consider the number of suitable places (particularly in the UK) to be limited. Any increase in competition for them might spoil it for everyone (those wishing to do so and those who are offended by it). Best that ā€˜best-kept secretsā€™ remain that way.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I said ā€œplaceā€ to refer to those outdoor places that people might choose to overnight in. I consider the number of suitable places (particularly in the UK) to be limited. Any increase in competition for them might spoil it for everyone (those wishing to do so and those who are offended by it). Best that ā€˜best-kept secretsā€™ remain that way.

Well you obviously have not observed the hundreds of miles of verges on country roads, in UK, just to name one categoryy of 'places'

Geoff

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Depends how often you move and what you use to drain power. The last time my van was on hookup was about 25 days ago.

wow I was thinking I might get three days out of them!

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
Absolutely spot on! We too like to be out for around 90 nights per year.
In the years when we had our sons holidaying with us we used sites both in the UK and in Europe but we now like to overnight as remote from habitation as possible or in a place like a typical French village aire that puts us within (or on the edge of) the local community.
Yes I agree, Use your van once a year Ā£900 a year, use it 3 times a year that's nearly Ā£3000 a year! and so on. Parking near a place you want to visit abroad easy, they have aires,parking in UK it has to be unrestricted car parks or street parking and yes I do it but always with consideration to the surroundings. Location-location-location!!

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our biggest problem with campsites is you seldom get what you pay for if you arrive late in the day they still expect you to leave in the morning some as early as 10.to actually use a site to visit a local attraction you need to stay two nights
That's what bugs me.
Arrive at an Aire at 4pm, leave next day at 3pm you pay X. Do that on a site you pay 2 times X. And it's more like 4 times the price on a site as you have to pay for facilities you neither need or want.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OP
OP
pandas
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
That's what bugs me.
Arrive at an Aire at 4pm, leave next day at 3pm you pay X. Do that on a site you pay 2 times X. And it's more like 4 times the price on a site as you have to pay for facilities you neither need or want.
Strange hotels work on the same basis

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
What is all this agro about? If you want to do it and you re not upsetting anyone whats the problem? If you don't want to do it then don't!

Its really not that difficult.
Some folk just cant stand the thought of someone getting something for nothing while they aren't.
Even in some cases when they don't actually want it themselves they just dont want anyone else having it either.

Reminds me of my dogs .....jade doesnt like apple with skin on and won't eat it ...but if she has a bit and milo goes to take it she growls and grumps.

Like a lot of folk on here.
Wives wont let them wildcamping incase of monsters ....so they complain when others do it.

Those pesky wildcampers ruining it for everyone else šŸ˜‰

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
I like the term '|Off Site'

We're in Scotland at the moment, on night 27, and have been 'off site' every night. We've be nowhere near a Lidl car park and we've managed to be safe, responsible, and if there's a sign even hinting overnight camping is prohibited we've moved on.

We've stayed in some amazing locations and have been completely seduced by Scotland. What a stunning country! Currently coming to the end of this trip but will definitely be back! The current trial of staying in the (Scottish equivalent of) the Forestry Commission car parks is great. And after about the 4th or 5th night our self sufficiency in terms of food etc. runs out, so we've really tried to use local businesses. Win/Win I think.

Works for us.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
..surprisingly couldnt hear that road above .
I'd be more concerned about someone coming over the top.

**Looks a bit like the Europa bridge?
Strange hotels work on the same basis
yes & they let you in at any hour of the night.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I for one would not pay to park on a mudding field, and as I witness on one in the south east have waste dumped in a hole in the ground, I like to think that I am far more responsible.
I use bio degradable fluid and dispose in my septic tank.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Personally I prefer to stop over away from campsites, Cant really call it wild camping as I have a motorhome, but I don't ever stay in store car parks or lay-bys, I do stay in pub car parks at times but thats not exactly "wild"

Don't understand the points about batteries or black waste, unless your staying in one place for more than 3-4 days.

I tend to do about 4 nights and then go to a site, but thats because I generally like a drink or two by then and "wild camping" could cause drunk in charge issues, and I can then drop black waste and fill fresh tanks etc. (never really had a issue filling fresh water off site, but a long hot shower is nice)

BTW black waste can be dumped in public toilets with no issue, just leave them clean for your own self esteem.

But mainly I think its a personal choice, campsite give EHU, but then I don't normally go for that unless SHMO needs a hair dryer or I need to charge my laptop (Mac book pro isn't that friendly with 12v)

As for gas attacks, so rare its worth ignoring, and any attack would bare no fruit as personal safety while travelling is something I've had to deal with most of my life.

OP said "I'm not a fan of wild camping" thats fine, don't do it then, I'm not a fan of camp sites so I'll continue to avoid them as much as I can.

But when I have to use them, I'll show respect, please do the same

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back