I'm not a fan of wildcamping (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2019
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria S 690 SP.
Exp
2018 August
Lets say the average cl stop is £10 a night..
If we used Cl's that would mean an average yearly outlay of £900 for us ( not this year !! ) on site fees, plus the several gallons of diesel used in getting to the sites rather than simply stopping at an on route out of the way location
I can only say that using CL's is spot on for those who WANT to use them and for whom an extra yearly outlay of a grand is but a small amount to the individuals who are happy to spend that amount..
Of course there are also the others who use their motorhomes so infrequently the fee aspect is inconsequential

Which only amplifies that we are ALL different, and perhaps passing comments on others life style is perhaps not that good an idea ?
Well said, and I take offence at any criticism of my Off-grid lifestyle, not only is it condescending, it is insulting and indicates that the person issuing such criticism is looking down on us! I can afford to stay on registered sites but don't want to. I spent several weeks in the past year in the UK off-grid and several weeks off-grid touring France. I stayed on two Pay- for services Aires during this tour of France at €5 per night to empty waste and fill with water. You can keep the overpriced crowded noisy UK campsites for those that like it. We don't. We have stayed off-grid on mountains, beaches, forest and woodland. Farmers fields (always with permission) and other remote areas, We never bury our waste (horrified at the thought) Carry spare toilet cassettes, always litter pick when we arrive and leave. If other motorhome start to crowd the area we leave for somewhere quieter. Each to their own and Each should have the decency not to criticise or question the lifestyle of others. This is still a relatively free country, apart from covid-19 restrictions, and local authorities banning motorhomes and campervans to force them to use said commercial sites in their constituencies. We should be supporting each other not publicly questioning and criticising that gives ammunition to said authorities and Anti's

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Well said, and I take offence at any criticism of my Off-grid lifestyle, not only is it condescending, it is insulting and indicates that the person issuing such criticism is looking down on us! I can afford to stay on registered sites but don't want to. I spent several weeks in the past year in the UK off-grid and several weeks off-grid touring France. I stayed on two Pay- for services Aires during this tour of France at €5 per night to empty waste and fill with water. You can keep the overpriced crowded noisy UK campsites for those that like it. We don't. We have stayed off-grid on mountains, beaches, forest and woodland. Farmers fields (always with permission) and other remote areas, We never bury our waste (horrified at the thought) Carry spare toilet cassettes, always litter pick when we arrive and leave. If other motorhome start to crowd the area we leave for somewhere quieter. Each to their own and Each should have the decency not to criticise or question the lifestyle of others. This is still a relatively free country, apart from covid-19 restrictions, and local authorities banning motorhomes and campervans to force them to use said commercial sites in their constituencies. We should be supporting each other not publicly questioning and criticising that gives ammunition to said authorities and Anti's

What he said

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Well I'm with all 3 of you on these topics.
Shall we form a breakaway sub-section?
I started and run a Facebook web page called Motorhome sleepyspots, what started as a giggle with 13 friends now has over 30000 members.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Wildcamping does not involve a vehicle of any description..

Its that simple

If you wish to get high and mighty avout people calling off grid camping in a motorhome wildcamping then you need to accept the fact that doing it on a motorbike is exactly the same

Wildcamping is done on foot or by bicycle

Not a motorised vehicle

Thats what i love about judgemental people

They always think their definition is somehow different.

Its not and you're not
Dont forget "wild camping" can be done on horseback too Tam, I started doing that in about 1960, there are definitely people still doing it in the UK and many other parts of the world in this day and age.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I know little of Facebook, or any other social media, but can one join just to be on one web page and be isolated from the rest of it?

Geoff
No unfortunately which is why i deleted my account on it

Facebook is handy for somethings but can be soul destroying

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Download Search for Sites app. It’s great. Tells you where you can park up. Carparks that are free of small charge. Pub stopovers. Attraction carparks offering camping some with facilities. And it even tells you about actual camp sites including C&MC type ones as well. Uses GPS or you can tell it where your looking. I did a week in Scotland and only paid for 1 night at a site. (To empty and refuel). All the rest were free at the attractions i visited. Loads of recent reviews so you know people’s experiences and how safe you’ll be. Quietest night I had was me and 3 other vans. Definitely recommend it. Paid up subscription is £5 a year or website free.
Park4night is better 😉

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I know little of Facebook, or any other social media, but can one join just to be on one web page and be isolated from the rest of it?

Geoff
Yes you can be isolated from the rest of it.

Sign up, do not accept any friend requests, set your privacy to the highest level so you can't be found, just join any groups you like.

Nothing wrong with Facebook, it's users that have issues.

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started

Geoff

No. You need to register for fb before you can access any private group. As soon as you log in FB will start to stuck your data (actually, as soon as you install the app).

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well said, and I take offence at any criticism of my Off-grid lifestyle, not only is it condescending, it is insulting and indicates that the person issuing such criticism is looking down on us!
We never bury our waste (horrified at the thought)

What happened to the not criticising?

Granted its not something i have to do often but i have burried waste in the past

Perfectly acceptable and what TRUE wildcampers do as they don't have a toilet

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
No. You need to register for fb before you can access any private group. As soon as you log in FB will start to stuck your data (actually, as soon as you install the app).
You don't have to install the app... I don't.

What data will Facebook collect then?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I would not be doing that as I am on a laptop.

Geoff
The only downside is once you join groups you get all the alerts and notifications from them. If you make any comment etc you get all the notifications about them too and unfortunately all the assholes that simply have to disagree with you just for the sake of it

Trust me i avoided Facebook all my life until 2018 when a few people i met travelling in spain encouraged me to join it

It has its good points but the bad far out way the good and i eventually deleted it in the summer this year.....been far happier since.

Too many trolls and idiots.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I use facebook purely because of the dog charity I help with as I put info on there as well as the charity's own website, I get sick of the messages about 'this group may be of interest to you' and 'friend requests' ... especially since many of the latter are from people I haven't heard of or the idiots at work who I was more than happy to get shot of!

I've turned off all notifications except the ones for the dog charity so hopefully that'll work so I don't have to deal with all the cr@p.

Feb 18, 2019
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria S 690 SP.
Exp
2018 August
What happened to the not criticising?

Granted its not something i have to do often but i have burried waste in the past

Perfectly acceptable and what TRUE wildcampers do as they don't have a toilet
Horrified at the thought of Me having to do it. I should have been clearer:hot:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Its mostly been in the wilds of scotland ive ever burried it ...and on a couple of the islands ...but back when there were 2 of us ...now its just me and ive 2 cassettes its unlikely but i still carry a collapsible shovel just in case.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Why horrified?

Dig a good deep hole, empty cassette as normal, refill hole and replace turf you carefully cut(with serated edge of proper camping shovel) and put aside to replace. What is horrifying?

Geoff

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
It’s a wonder to me why so often people on here talk about black waste.

If your on a site there will be a place to get rid of it, if your not then use the on board toilet as little as possible, then every 4 nights or so stay on a site or empty your cassette in a public toilet and leave it cleaner that you found it, NEVER dump it in a hedge, if you have to dig a hole and bury it then you ain’t trying hard enough.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
It’s a wonder to me why so often people on here talk about black waste.

If your on a site there will be a place to get rid of it, if your not then use the on board toilet as little as possible, then every 4 nights or so stay on a site or empty your cassette in a public toilet and leave it cleaner that you found it, NEVER dump it in a hedge, if you have to dig a hole and bury it then you ain’t trying hard enough.

All those are not always available in the wilds of Scotland so digging is sometimes the only way, as it is for tent campers as Tam said above.

Geoff

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
All those are not always available in the wilds of Scotland so digging is sometimes the only way, as it is for tent campers as Tam said above.

Geoff

As someone who not only has a house in the wilds of Scotland but also spent a month wild camping there this year I’d like to know exactly where you’d find yourself more than a day from a public toilet / waste point?

Its only if you stay in one place for more than a few days that you’d have an issue, which was my original point.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
As someone who not only has a house in the wilds of Scotland but also spent a month wild camping there this year I’d like to know exactly where you’d find yourself more than a day from a public toilet / waste point?

Its only if you stay in one place for more than a few days that you’d have an issue, which was my original point.
Public toilets in scotland generally frown against the use of public toilets for cassette emptying ...yes if they are pretty much out the way and it can be done discretely with no chemicals then sure use them .
But having wildcamped throughout Scotland for nearly 30 years i can count on one hand how many public toilets fit that description.

As for sites i dont use them ever ....not even for emptying and filling and ive managed 30 -60 day long trips in scotland doing that.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Is this another cyclic MHF “discussion” not helped by people who say they don’t use campsites but persist with a missplaced idea about what happens on one?
Such as: -
“many who stay in a campsite only spend in the campsite. They park up and stay on site....sit outside drink and bbq theyve spent there money on the site.”
Despite contrary evidence?

A MH has given us the ability to park up anywhere. That’s a handy ability to either break up a journey for just a break; to camp overnight with your own facilities or use some provided by a campsite.

You’d hope it wouldn’t be a MHF camper creating the negative media stories so tolerate all the ways to use our MH here.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Witout staying more than 2 days in one place I rarely do 'a day's driving' in a whole week, plus Tam's comment about using public toilets unless really unused by others.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back