LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Is this another cyclic MHF “discussion” not helped by people who say they don’t use campsites but persist with a missplaced idea about what happens on one?
Such as: -
“many who stay in a campsite only spend in the campsite. They park up and stay on site....sit outside drink and bbq theyve spent there money on the site.”
Despite contrary evidence?

A MH has given us the ability to park up anywhere. That’s a handy ability to either break up a journey for just a break; to camp overnight with your own facilities or use some provided by a campsite.

You’d hope it wouldn’t be a MHF camper creating the negative media stories so tolerate all the ways to use our MH here.
No its another of the numerous threads created by campsite users generally looking down on those who don't.

Often the biggest difference is those who dont use sites all the time have done in the past so have experience of both

But there are countless folk on here who comment who have never wildcamped or stayed on an aire in their life.

As my parents were motorhomers i was raised with them , i bought my first vw camper aged 17 but had been going camping in tents with friends since age 13 usually fishing with no adults with us either cycling or using buses to get there.
Since then ive had campers with no facilities on board , caravans of various sizes and specs , and 9 motorhomes up till now , with parents and then when my own kids were young i was always on sites so i saw how many used them ... especially the resort type ones like haven etc ...
I wildcamped with all my smaller vw vans that never had toilets either using swimming pools or lochs for washing etc

I haven't been on a site now for at least the last 10 years but i have used many in the past. Ive used hundreds of wild spots and in the last 3 years fulltiming and being in europe ive also used dozens of aires

30 years of various methods of camping in easily over 50 or 60 different units

You pick up at least some experience in that time

So the quote you posted above was mine and i can say ive met dozens and personally know several people who do go to sites and remain on them their entire holiday 😁

May 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner
Exp
Since 1980
Surely campsites are for cars and caravans who are not allowed to use Stelplatz and Aires so I reckon to take up a precious pitch with a motorhome is just selfish.
plus they have the means to drive into town and back for the evening. So let’s leave the campsites for them and park up in some peaceful carpark or layby (in the uk) after all most 5* hotels are surrounded by carparks and not all the bedrooms have great views

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gillygrim

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534
Exp
Since 2005
I know little of Facebook, or any other social media, but can one join just to be on one web page and be isolated from the rest of it?

Geoff
Unfortunately not. I had to very reluctantly get a Facebook account in order to join the (whisper) Hymer Owners Club forum. I am bombarded with hundreds of 'Friend Requests' every day, people I've never heard of. In order to get rid of them I have to delete them one by one - drives me insane.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Unfortunately not. I had to very reluctantly get a Facebook account in order to join the (whisper) Hymer Owners Club forum. I am bombarded with hundreds of 'Friend Requests' every day, people I've never heard of. In order to get rid of them I have to delete them one by one - drives me insane.
Go into your Facebook settings and alter who can find you.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Out of a specific need you’ve enrolled in a social media platform.
You can set your privacy settings so that only “Friends of Friends” have the ability to send friend requests.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
What you call it is not important. What is important is that this should not adversely affect others. I'm not going to suggest a code of conduct, there are plenty of those around and motorhomes are trying to get away from being too controlled, but each individual should be aware of their affect on others if they decide to go off grid.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
So you cannot stop everyone sending requests, which would be my choice?

Geoff
I assume the premise is that if you have existing friends, their friends can send requests.
With no friends you won't get any friend requests.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So you cannot stop everyone sending requests, which would be my choice?

Geoff
Just don't admit to having any friends! :giggle:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I assume the premise is that if you have existing friends, their friends can send requests.
With no friends you won't get any friend requests.
Hmm im not sure
I found facebook uses your whatsapp, phonebook and email to find people you may know ... certainly did with me

People i was not friends with or had friends in common with but i had their phone number .
It recommended my boss , people from work etc etc

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Hmm im not sure
I found facebook uses your whatsapp, phonebook and email to find people you may know ... certainly did with me

People i was not friends with or had friends in common with but i had their phone number .
It recommended my boss , people from work etc etc
OK, but those don't get added automatically or create the alerts that I assume is what the original Funster {Gillygrim} wanted to avoid.

edit: recommendations can be ignored and often there's a "don't let Facebook access phone contacts" option.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
OK, but those don't get added automatically or create the alerts that I assume is what the original Funster {Gillygrim} wanted to avoid.

edit: recommendations can be ignored and often there's a "don't let Facebook access phone contacts" option.
They dont add automatically but you still get them even with all the privacy boxes ticked

Its like i still get alerts from this forum even if i put a thread on unwatch or ignore etc

Internet stuffs annoying at timesp

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Reading this about Facebook, there seems to be two Facebook sites.

The one where you cannot alter your privacy settings.

Or the one I use where I rarely get friend requests or recommendations for friends, I don't use the app either, I have the site bookmarked in my favourites, and a link on my phones homepage.

It’s entirely down to privacy settings.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
They dont add automatically but you still get them even with all the privacy boxes ticked

Its like i still get alerts from this forum even if i put a thread on unwatch or ignore etc

Internet stuffs annoying at timesp
Really? You shouldn't so may have inadvertently got something ticked somewhere.

OP
OP
pandas
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I assume one of the benefits of the concept of ‘Wild Camping’ is that it relates to a ‘free’ as in relaxed approach to life. Reading some points about digging holes to bury the black waste I wondered if there was published set protocols that one should follow rather than make personal assumptions. For example you should not bury your waste near to an area that feeds into a spring/river. Checking that the owner gives permission, where there are places to officially get rid of any waste etc.
Hopefully there is some sort of ‘code’ out there although I realise it is at odds with views related to the ‘freedom’ related to wild camping. Please do not read that I am not making any judgement about the concept of wild camping.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Knowing my luck if I tried to dig a hole to empty my waste cassette into I'd find a ruddy body ... then I'd really be in a quandary ... do I report that I've found a body and get done for dumping waste 'illegally' or cover it back up and run the risk of someone seeing me and saying I buried the body! :oops:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Knowing my luck if I tried to dig a hole to empty my waste cassette into I'd find a ruddy body ... then I'd really be in a quandary ... do I report that I've found a body and get done for dumping waste 'illegally' or cover it back up and run the risk of someone seeing me and saying I buried the body! :oops:

Mel, you are either thnking too deep or digging too deep.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
most gansters dont like hard work hence bodies are normally discovered in shallow graves
I saw one where a couple of bodies had been buried in sand dunes which, of course, eventually were eroded by the wind etc and the desiccated bodies were discovered some years later.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Why horrified?

Dig a good deep hole, empty cassette as normal, refill hole and replace turf you carefully cut(with serated edge of proper camping shovel) and put aside to replace. What is horrifying?

Geoff
Most don’t dig deep enough and why not keep a spare and dispose of within the sewerage system. ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back